Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 8, 1:58 PM

Jun 2022
https://myanimelist.net/character/34470/Kurisu_Makise

Thanks to skipping a grade in America as a girl, she was envied by people around her, and ended up building a strong personality.

Given the nature of the comma at the public facing bio, could this subtly imply that she was at first a boy? If not at this perhaps other SG worldlines? In a theoretical scenario, one could posit that Kurisu was born male but decided to transition to a girl during her studies in America. This could lead to the development of a strong personality as a response to societal expectations and pressures associated with gender identity.

It had to be explicitly stated that Kurisu was a particular gender at a specific stage / turning point at her life (skipping a grade). If this wasn't trivial it would have been omitted and been left unstated. If it was stated, it implies it was important for some reason and that reason could have been a complete change in identity. Why was it necessary to add the fact that she skipped a grade "as a girl" when the natural progression of the statement SHOULD have been

Thanks to skipping a grade in America, she was envied by people around her, and ended up building a strong personality.

instead of

Thanks to skipping a grade in America as a girl, she was envied by people around her, and ended up building a strong personality.

at her (actual), bio at this very site.

Even flashbacks to her childhood (as a girl) at the manga could be explained because we can easily accuse Kurisu of false memories given the nature of world-line divergence.

Can someone say more about their thoughts regarding this?
FireineMar 9, 6:50 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 8, 2:10 PM

May 2016
No, she is not. You are overthinking it. Since when straight women cannot have strong personalities by the way?
-
Mar 8, 2:12 PM
Oct 2019
Dude! Did you read the VN or watch the anime? Kurisu is not Ruka the whole thing you described is literary the Ruka route and thank to you. You spoiled those who would eventually play it.
Mar 8, 2:13 PM
Sep 2022
I... im just speechless. Ive lost faith in humanity yet again...
Mar 8, 2:14 PM
Nov 2016
Jesus fucking Christ, OP, I seriously hope you are trolling with this.
Mar 8, 2:15 PM

Jun 2022
Reply to xZabuzax
Jesus fucking Christ, OP, I seriously hope you are trolling with this.
@xZabuzax this is a serious qst.
Mar 8, 2:21 PM
Jun 2022
I think, though I may be mistaken, they are saying she skipped a grade sometime in her childhood. Usually when people phrase it that way they're talking about someone's childhood, as a girl/as a boy - before they became an adult.

That's how it reads to me anyhow.
Mar 8, 2:23 PM
Aug 2020
that'd be based if she was, so I'll now accept it as canon. based OP
Mar 8, 2:25 PM
Apr 2020
Bruh u can’t be serious ๐Ÿ’€
BLOODYDIAMONDZMar 8, 2:37 PM
Mar 8, 2:27 PM
Mar 2019
i like her better as a trans girl ngl so yes i think she is that would be cool
Mar 8, 2:29 PM
Apr 2020
I don’t even have words for this lmao
Mar 8, 2:30 PM

Jul 2021
That is some selective bias, the way you have of reading that coma. If anything, it was a case of engurish.

The correct way of interpreting that oration is: "it was weird for a girl to skip a grade, which is why boys envied her for and were skeptical of her intellectual capacity, so she developed a strong personality to deal with that".

More in line with how she describes herself in the show even. And a quick trivia about that shit in japan: the pride parade had a couple of tenths of thousands attend in tokyo, a city of 13 million people, whereas pride parades in the west get millions of attendants despite being more common and frequent. Don't make japan hate the west more please.
Mar 8, 2:32 PM
Jul 2023
No, just no. There’s no reason to think that
Mar 8, 2:33 PM
Nov 2023
Steins;Gate if it was good
Mar 8, 2:43 PM
Jan 2022
She is a woman. An adult female.
Mar 8, 2:55 PM

Feb 2012
Swap "as a girl" for "because she was a girl"and it becomes clearer. Those words are not there since she was anything other than a girl, but why people envy her.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 8, 2:55 PM
Sep 2010
The cool thing about fiction is you can interpret it however you want ๐Ÿ‘
Mar 8, 3:55 PM

Jul 2017
I'm pretty sure you're not actually being serious, so I guess I don't have much to really say. Christina does look really nice in that Dr. Pepper drip though.
Mar 8, 3:57 PM

Feb 2019
I’ll explain without unnecessary transphobia etc.

„As a girl” part is most probably about the fact, that girls have a harder time at being recognized for their accomplishments (especially years ago), so she was envied that she managed to do it (did it probably because it was hard to overlook her skills).

Most probably it has nothing to do with being trans, especially with no other stuff backing this up.
mlem

Also read Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru (Bless Botan)
Mar 8, 4:09 PM
Oct 2021
Fireine said:
https://myanimelist.net/character/34470/Kurisu_Makise

Given the nature of the comma at the public facing bio, could this subtly imply that she was at first a boy? If not at this perhaps other SG worldlines? In a theoretical scenario, one could posit that Kurisu was born male but decided to transition to a girl during her studies in America. This could lead to the development of a strong personality as a response to societal expectations and pressures associated with gender identity.

Kurisu Makise

Can someone say more about their thoughts regarding this?

what are you smoking...
Mar 8, 5:17 PM
Nov 2022
If people aren’t specifically interested in being trans. Then they’re straight. As simple as that.

Literally zero sign/hint of her being this.
Mar 8, 5:20 PM
Nov 2022
ShinoAlter said:
I’ll explain without unnecessary transphobia etc.

„As a girl” part is most probably about the fact, that girls have a harder time at being recognized for their accomplishments (especially years ago), so she was envied that she managed to do it (did it probably because it was hard to overlook her skills).

Most probably it has nothing to do with being trans, especially with no other stuff backing this up.

Hey cmon, religion isn’t unnecessary. It was actually quite important back in the days. But yeah, time does change.
Mar 8, 5:27 PM
Jun 2022
I think here "as a girl" just means "when she was younger".
Mar 8, 5:29 PM
Apr 2023
I think you're just misreading that sentence. I see how you're reading it that way but that's not what it's saying. it's more like, "because she was a girl...."she lived as a girl...."

hopefully this helps clear this up and hopefully this isn't just a troll post created to get a bunch of people to say transphobic shit.
Mar 8, 6:07 PM
best $30 i spent

Oct 2023
I’m dying broo this gotta be bait
DrizMar 8, 11:36 PM
Mar 8, 6:24 PM

Mar 2018
bait used to be believable
Mar 8, 7:21 PM
Mar 8, 7:24 PM
Apr 2023
What are you on? She is a girl.
Mar 8, 7:46 PM

Jan 2023
How on earth you came to this conclusion is beyond me lol
Mar 8, 8:23 PM
Jan 2023
Nope definitely not
Mar 8, 8:28 PM
Jan 2023
Kudzio said:

you don't have to just because some random guy said that doesn't makes it true cause it isn't
Mar 8, 9:10 PM

Apr 2022
joke or not, really dumb either way.
Mar 8, 9:13 PM

Jun 2022
Reply to LittlexLittle
Kudzio said:

you don't have to just because some random guy said that doesn't makes it true cause it isn't
@Studiolittle https://lgbtqia-characters.fandom.com/wiki/Makise_Kurisu
Mar 8, 10:06 PM

Feb 2017
No, this is just delusional narcissism
๐˜ผ ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ก ๐™™๐™ฌ๐™š๐™ก๐™ก๐™จ ๐™ฌ๐™ž๐™ฉ๐™๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™– ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ข๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™– ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™—๐™ค๐™™๐™ฎ
Mar 8, 10:24 PM

Jun 2022
Reply to E_Creator
No, this is just delusional narcissism
@E_Creator Well, Its was made clear that what Okabe really falls in love with is Kurisu's darker side as an objective scientist and her narcissism. So you're not even wrong.
Mar 8, 10:27 PM

Oct 2022
Inferring she is trans from that bit of text is a huge stretch to make. It's obviously referring to the fact that skipping a grade for a girl is very rare, thus people envied her.

Also that link you shared from the lgbtq fandom page stating she is a trans girl is false. That site is known to create false edits and be extremely liberal in their definition of queer to add lots of anime and characters to the site. If the site is stating she is trans there must be some good evidence proving she is trans from the creators or in the show itself to justify labeling her as transgender.
WaffleMaster89Mar 9, 12:36 AM
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Mar 8, 11:07 PM

Oct 2013
Holy moly, this thread must be a bait, lol. Kurisu is not a transgender character. The fact someone travels somewhere, or has certain hobbies, doesn't mean they are transgender, what the heck. It makes body dysphoria, a serious and real thing, ridiculed and turned into clownery. If anyone is transphobic here, then it's the original poster, I'm afraid.

If this becomes a trend, then soon most of the world's population, not only anime characters, will be called out as transgender.
AdnashMar 8, 11:11 PM
โœจSaint Seiya Club๐ŸŒ 
Mar 8, 11:20 PM

Jun 2022
Reply to Adnash
Holy moly, this thread must be a bait, lol. Kurisu is not a transgender character. The fact someone travels somewhere, or has certain hobbies, doesn't mean they are transgender, what the heck. It makes body dysphoria, a serious and real thing, ridiculed and turned into clownery. If anyone is transphobic here, then it's the original poster, I'm afraid.

If this becomes a trend, then soon most of the world's population, not only anime characters, will be called out as transgender.
@Adnash I've got no problems with trans people. Just posed a serious question related to a public facing bio at this exact website.
Mar 9, 12:37 AM

Apr 2012
I don't even follow what OP is thinking. There's absolutely no reason to think she's trans in that sentence. No way of "knowing" for sure, of course, unless there's some creator statement I'm unaware of, but I know of no reason not to assume she's cis as the vast majority are.
Mar 9, 1:19 AM
Sep 2022
maam this isn't Twitter
Mar 9, 1:25 AM

Feb 2023

This topic is peak brainrot.
Mar 9, 2:47 AM

Oct 2018
@Fireine

Hilarious thread
Mar 9, 2:57 AM

Apr 2012
@Fireine First of all, this is a fan wiki. What is written there is not any serious and official source. Secondly, in my experience, this wiki is largely queer fanon-ish, where people simply post their headcanons about characters' gender and sexuality as something objective. For example, they claim that Saiki Kusuo is a trans man because of a little joke about him changing gender in the womb because he decided he would be better born as a boy. Or indications that most of the characters from slash ships are gay or bisexual.

I found it funny that such a big discussion started literally because of a comma, but if you're going to unironically refer to fan wiki headcanons, I should clarify something.

UPD. https://lgbtqia-characters.fandom.com/wiki/Makise_Kurisu?action=history Oh, everything turned out to be much simpler than I thought. You simply created an article on the same day as this thread and now cite it as a source. I should have gotten used to this lol.
RobertBobertMar 9, 3:08 AM
Mar 9, 3:17 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to logopolis
I don't even follow what OP is thinking. There's absolutely no reason to think she's trans in that sentence. No way of "knowing" for sure, of course, unless there's some creator statement I'm unaware of, but I know of no reason not to assume she's cis as the vast majority are.
@logopolis Well, this is a typical headcanon born out of a random “interesting” assumption, which is then too pity to refuse. For example, many people are obsessed with similar speculation that Frieren is autistic or asexual, although the context and further development of the story very easily expose this. Or remember Wonder Egg Priority, where people stubbornly refused to let go of the theory that Kaoru was transgender, even when the writers almost outright said that the message of her arc was “it’s okay to be the object of affection of gay people.”

People very easily get used to the idea of โ€‹โ€‹the possibility of the things they desire, and subsequently it becomes very difficult for them to give it up so as not to be painfully disappointed. I'm telling you this as a Guel x Suletta shipper.
Mar 9, 5:06 AM
Aug 2020
Buny0058 said:
If people aren’t specifically interested in being trans. Then they’re straight. As simple as that.

Literally zero sign/hint of her being this.

you can be trans and straight
Mar 9, 5:41 AM

May 2021
Fireine said:

Given the nature of the comma at the public facing bio, could this subtly imply that she was at first a boy? If not at this perhaps other SG worldlines? In a theoretical scenario, one could posit that Kurisu was born male but decided to transition to a girl during her studies in America. This could lead to the development of a strong personality as a response to societal expectations and pressures associated with gender identity

No, you got the wrong character, you're looking for Ruka, who is canonically trans

That phrase about Kurisu simply refers to Kurisu when she was a kid (a girl), the comma means nothing exept maybe who wrote it wasn't that good at grammar, heck i don't even know where commas go 90% of the time
DigiCatMar 9, 5:45 AM
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Mar 9, 5:42 AM

Jun 2022
Reply to RobertBobert
@Fireine First of all, this is a fan wiki. What is written there is not any serious and official source. Secondly, in my experience, this wiki is largely queer fanon-ish, where people simply post their headcanons about characters' gender and sexuality as something objective. For example, they claim that Saiki Kusuo is a trans man because of a little joke about him changing gender in the womb because he decided he would be better born as a boy. Or indications that most of the characters from slash ships are gay or bisexual.

I found it funny that such a big discussion started literally because of a comma, but if you're going to unironically refer to fan wiki headcanons, I should clarify something.

UPD. https://lgbtqia-characters.fandom.com/wiki/Makise_Kurisu?action=history Oh, everything turned out to be much simpler than I thought. You simply created an article on the same day as this thread and now cite it as a source. I should have gotten used to this lol.
@RobertBobert
Oh, everything turned out to be much simpler than I thought. You simply created an article on the same day as this thread and now cite it as a source. I should have gotten used to this lol.

Can you succinctly prove that the edits you see, linked to a rando user account that quite literally anyone could have created can be uniquely mapped to my identity at this forum? it wasn't me
Mar 9, 6:01 AM

Jan 2022
As Okabe might have said, "Those are interesting arguments for Kurisu being transgender, daga, otome da."
Mar 9, 6:10 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Fireine
@RobertBobert
Oh, everything turned out to be much simpler than I thought. You simply created an article on the same day as this thread and now cite it as a source. I should have gotten used to this lol.

Can you succinctly prove that the edits you see, linked to a rando user account that quite literally anyone could have created can be uniquely mapped to my identity at this forum? it wasn't me
@Fireine Am I required to provide any "evidence" if all this activity happened at the exact moment you started this thread here? As far as I can tell from the screenshot from reddit, the dialogue in question also happened today. There are too many coincidences with very good timing to assume they were random
Mar 9, 6:10 AM

Jun 2022
Reply to mo_lave
As Okabe might have said, "Those are interesting arguments for Kurisu being transgender, daga, otome da."
@mo_lave I thought so too, which explains why I proceeded to field these questions to the SG community.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

551 by klrtg15 »»
May 23, 12:28 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - May 17, 2011

310 by sidusX7 »»
May 21, 9:17 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

806 by Neon7o7 »»
May 20, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Activelee - Aug 16, 2011

486 by Term4738 »»
May 14, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1830 by wibugar »»
May 9, 3:19 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.