Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 7, 11:25 AM
Apr 2009
In my head OPM is a AA+ tier anime, and they used all the goodies to start with season 1. Since then, S2, JC was rushed and gave us an ''eh'' body of work. Now, years have passed and.. we get the same studio doing S3.

This series does not resonate as well with me unless all the details (face expressions, animations, etc) are top-notch.

I dont understand, does anyone know the details, did OPM1 sell bad, did they ran out of money? It can't be ''time'' this time
Mar 7, 11:55 AM
Jul 2022
S1 came out just before a lot of the senior staff at madhouse left mostly for overwork/underpayment reasons, for pretty similar reasons as the current Mappa.

My guess is that probably most of the junior staff remaining at the studio was afraid of picking up the series and not live up to the expectations of the madhouse legacy staff.

JC honestly did a pretty good job with S2 but legacy madhouse is just too good at their job. That plus the fact that it was rushed.

Honestly I think with the time they were given, JC may be able to put out a fantastic S3 because they're far from being a bad studio (just look how much love they put into Danmachi)
Mar 7, 11:58 AM

Mar 2021
madhouse could've done S2 but it would've taken longer so the big guys hired JC staff instead to do it quicker. The obvious purpose for this being money
Mar 7, 12:22 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to tAb0
S1 came out just before a lot of the senior staff at madhouse left mostly for overwork/underpayment reasons, for pretty similar reasons as the current Mappa.

My guess is that probably most of the junior staff remaining at the studio was afraid of picking up the series and not live up to the expectations of the madhouse legacy staff.

JC honestly did a pretty good job with S2 but legacy madhouse is just too good at their job. That plus the fact that it was rushed.

Honestly I think with the time they were given, JC may be able to put out a fantastic S3 because they're far from being a bad studio (just look how much love they put into Danmachi)
tAb0 said:

The vast majority of people, specially the big names who made most of the highlight moments of Season 1, were not from Madhouse to begin with. It was a reunion of several freelancers from around the industry, mostly brought in by Shingo Natsume who worked with a good chunk of them before on Space Dandy, and the producer Yuichiro Fukushi. Natsume and some of these people just made other shows in the meantime, and even right now, a large group of animators from OPM came back on Frieren.
Mar 7, 12:36 PM
Sep 2023
I do understand how, for many people, season 2 may be a reason to hold a grudge against the animators, since it wasn't done as well as season 1. For me however, the story of Garou is probably the best anti-hero story I could have ever imagined, and that was what made me read the manga ahead of anime. I honestly can't wait to see more of it get animated, and I hope that we will all be satisfied this time.
Mar 7, 5:10 PM
Jul 2021
tAb0 said:

there was no such thing as senior staff or junior staff in s1. s1 was produced in 2015. MAPPA was formed in 2012. S1 was freelance animators. The in-house members did not even matter. The reason they couldn't do OPM again because. The director Shingo Natsume and producer Yuiichiro Fukushi started working on ACCA-13 right after s1. The production did not like the staff change, so they changed studios
Mar 8, 1:08 AM
Jan 2017
Anime_Skaddiel said:
tAb0 said:

there was no such thing as senior staff or junior staff in s1. s1 was produced in 2015. MAPPA was formed in 2012. S1 was freelance animators. The in-house members did not even matter. The reason they couldn't do OPM again because. The director Shingo Natsume and producer Yuiichiro Fukushi started working on ACCA-13 right after s1. The production did not like the staff change, so they changed studios

bro noone talking about MAPPA. This is Madhouse
Mar 8, 1:15 AM

Jan 2009
season 1 sales is 12k per disc (the manabi line or break even profit for any anime is around 3k sales per disc)
season 2 sales is 1k per disc

they run out of a budget? maybe considering the manga sales boost is slowing down too

but the director of season 1 already said that the budget for season 1 is average that its thanks to the passionate talented animators that did wonders to the animation quality of it
Mar 8, 4:32 AM
Jul 2021
Zimzky said:
Anime_Skaddiel said:

bro noone talking about MAPPA. This is Madhouse

😑. In 2012 the senior and prominent staff from Madhouse went to form MAPPA. Maruyama was the co-founder of Madhouse and the founder of MAPPA. I was replying to his "senior staff left" statement.
Mar 14, 3:32 PM
Apr 2009
Reply to CulturedTassel
madhouse could've done S2 but it would've taken longer so the big guys hired JC staff instead to do it quicker. The obvious purpose for this being money
@CulturedTassel

Which is silly, quality over quantity/speed. But as mentioned, it's S3 now, there's years in between, that excuse can't hold here

I didn't even know OP1 budget was average, surprises me more that they didn't hire top guys again. JC is oke, but based on the trailer the animation quality isn't drastically better
SsjbryandoMar 29, 8:26 AM
Mar 14, 9:54 PM

Mar 2021
Ssjbryando said:
@CulturedTassel

Which is silly in every aspect. But as mentioned, it's S3 now, there's years in between, that excuse can't hold here

didnt even know OP1 budget was average, surprises me more that they didn't hire top guys again. JC is oke, but based on the trailer the animation quality has not improved

The trailer was single handedly made by 1 man
Mar 22, 11:58 AM
Mar 2024
OPM s1 had many talented freelancers working on the project, due to director and producer having strong connections across the industry and a healthy schedule.

If, at this point, best freelance animator they can afford is aoki then its already a low point for the series animation imo
Mar 23, 9:59 PM
Jan 2022
Season 1 must have not sell good in Japan.What I have seen is that mostly outside Japan OPM anime is more popular.That must have been the reason why One Punch Man Production Committee does not allocate higher budget for sequels.Even with so much hate towards JC staff for S2, committe still decided to go with JC Staff for S3 clearly shows that they aint got budget for a better studio.Also guys stop sucking JC Staff.Only reason S2 was not blatantly shitt was bcoz of one animator. If such a huge franchise is depending on 1 animator to give a above avg product then hell with that production committee and its Studio !! And if OPM anime sold well in Japan,then production committee is just plain greedy with less investment and huge returns
gamiboMar 23, 10:02 PM
Mar 29, 8:26 AM
Apr 2009
Reply to CulturedTassel
Ssjbryando said:
@CulturedTassel

Which is silly in every aspect. But as mentioned, it's S3 now, there's years in between, that excuse can't hold here

didnt even know OP1 budget was average, surprises me more that they didn't hire top guys again. JC is oke, but based on the trailer the animation quality has not improved

The trailer was single handedly made by 1 man
@CulturedTassel That is very impressive
Mar 29, 8:29 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to gamibo
Season 1 must have not sell good in Japan.What I have seen is that mostly outside Japan OPM anime is more popular.That must have been the reason why One Punch Man Production Committee does not allocate higher budget for sequels.Even with so much hate towards JC staff for S2, committe still decided to go with JC Staff for S3 clearly shows that they aint got budget for a better studio.Also guys stop sucking JC Staff.Only reason S2 was not blatantly shitt was bcoz of one animator. If such a huge franchise is depending on 1 animator to give a above avg product then hell with that production committee and its Studio !! And if OPM anime sold well in Japan,then production committee is just plain greedy with less investment and huge returns
@gamibo i already commented how much the disc sales sold for both season 1 and season 2 and youre wrong since season 1 sold a lot in japan

more than 10k average discs sold of any anime is already a huge hit in japan
Apr 5, 5:59 AM

Jul 2019
It's not a matter of having sold good or bad, it was just that S1 happened to be a big exception. A lot of work on that season wasn't done by Madhouse, but instead by people they brought in. And they brought in SSS-tier talent from all around. That's not something you can just simply do again for a S2. Not to mention that a lot of talent that were from Madhouse has already left. So there's also that.

I'm not saying that JC did a good job, but S2 was gonna be a dissapointmnet almost no matter what. Cause S1 was pretty much a one-hit wonder (pun intended).
Subarashii
Apr 17, 2:02 PM
Jan 2017
Reply to deg
season 1 sales is 12k per disc (the manabi line or break even profit for any anime is around 3k sales per disc)
season 2 sales is 1k per disc

they run out of a budget? maybe considering the manga sales boost is slowing down too

but the director of season 1 already said that the budget for season 1 is average that its thanks to the passionate talented animators that did wonders to the animation quality of it
@deg run out of budget? S1 budget $70k-80k per episode. this is very average budget, and the chief animator himself confirmed it on social media. Kimetsu No Yaiba budget is $80k-90k per episode. this is another average budget and not "unlimited budget" which is the moto every time Ufotable release an anime. Dragon Ball Super budget = $160k per episode. double budget than OPM S1, but not double the quality. budget don't determine the quality of animation.
May 3, 8:18 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to SapiaNt0mata
@deg run out of budget? S1 budget $70k-80k per episode. this is very average budget, and the chief animator himself confirmed it on social media. Kimetsu No Yaiba budget is $80k-90k per episode. this is another average budget and not "unlimited budget" which is the moto every time Ufotable release an anime. Dragon Ball Super budget = $160k per episode. double budget than OPM S1, but not double the quality. budget don't determine the quality of animation.
@SapiaNt0mata did you miss reading my last sentence? and lol 80k budget per episode? where did you get that fake news from

around 2012 the budget for anime is 150k https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/latest/2011/10/30/how-much-does-one-episode-of-anime-cost-to-make

and now around 2017 its 300k https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-12-27/.125478

More topics from this board

» Season 3 Director

BLACKANGER - Feb 29

21 by Oongbuh »»
1 hour ago

» Is it Releasing this Fall, or next year winter or maybe even later and the episode number

Jatin587 - May 5

16 by DayRivia »»
4 hours ago

» THIRD HERO VISUAL (GENOS)

OvergrownRover - May 2

20 by deg »»
May 5, 6:37 AM

» God-level animations?

Leon888 - Apr 18

16 by AuraBorealis005 »»
May 4, 10:40 PM

» New Hero Visual (KING)

OvergrownRover - Apr 5

10 by garry001 »»
Apr 7, 12:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.