Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 19, 2:27 PM

Oct 2014
This anime is always on my watch list including season 1 ofcourse, but I hadnt started it yet because of their size difference.

I mean, look at their size difference

Sure it does not matter storywise, and the high score reflects it. It can be called 'unique' to for me, its kinda makes me uncomfortable lol.

So yeah, maybe I am the only one. Should I give this a try? Convince me guys why I'm overreacting.
GazzFeb 26, 2:33 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 19, 2:35 PM

Sep 2016
It's much better this way because it exemplifies that even though they are nothing alike, they still fall in love.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 19, 2:38 PM
Nov 2023
They’re only about 14, he hasn’t had his growth spurt yet. It’ll be fine!
Feb 19, 2:38 PM
Nov 2023
Kind of nice seeing the girl taller than the guy for a change
Feb 19, 2:50 PM
Oct 2021
Did you know that aspect is kind of "realistic"?
Girls do grow taller quicker than boys, then boys catch up and surpass us when they hit puberty. Kyotaro is 13 currently (anime, 14 manga). My classmates at 13 were ants πŸ’€ Then at 15-16 every single one of them was taller than me (I am 5'5 ½) He is a little taller in the manga now, maybe he will keep growing but either way, this is one of the rare good shounen romance, it has some weird clearly-a-shounen bits but the romance is so nice. good shounen ROMANCE ANIMATED is rare, they come once every blue moon you better watch it!

Feb 19, 2:53 PM
Dec 2022
It's fine. They're still young so he'll definitely grow.
Feb 19, 3:00 PM
Jul 2021
If the guy was taller than the girl you wouldn’t even care lmao
Feb 19, 3:02 PM

Apr 2020
Yeah. That's not the thing to be disturbed about, when wacthing this Show.
It reeks of your own insecurities^^
Feb 19, 3:22 PM
Aug 2018
I don't see why height difference matters. It's realistic and also shows that even though the both of them are so different, they still can find common ground and similarities.

So I don't see why it's weird.
Feb 19, 3:23 PM
Aug 2018
Merve2Love said:

What's the thing to be disturbed about? The series is wholesome
Feb 19, 3:23 PM

Dec 2023
Yes you are. I would love to have a taller older girlfriend.
"I wanna feel some tits..."

"I wanna feel some tits..."

"I wanna feel some tits SO badly..."
Feb 19, 3:24 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Grawman67
Merve2Love said:

What's the thing to be disturbed about? The series is wholesome
@Grawman67

Is it?
Not for me. It's pretty fetishized. Especially early Episodes.

But I guess Im in the minority there and I only watched a couple of Episodes, Season 1 ^^
Feb 19, 3:25 PM
Mar 2021
Gazz said:
This anime is always on my watch list including season 1 ofcourse, but I hadnt started it yet because of their size difference.

Sure it does not matter storywise, and the high score reflects it. It can be called 'unique' to for me, its kinda makes me uncomfortable lol.

So yeah, maybe I am the only one. Should I give this a try? Convince me guys why I'm overreacting.

I wouldn't worry about the height difference. It's never brought up in a weird way or used for a poor joke.

I'd be more concerned with getting into it properly. the first few eps were a slog for me and many others.
Feb 19, 3:27 PM
Aug 2018
Merve2Love said:
@Grawman67

Is it?

But I guess Im in the minority there and I only watched a couple of Episodes, Season 1 ^^

It shows her not even in a particularly sexual way. It shows her from his perspective because he's 13.

But I highly recommend continuing. It improves dramatically and is very wholesome. The sexual aspect is lessened as he gets to know her and likes her.
Feb 19, 3:32 PM
Mar 2023
No middle school girl looks like Yamada. Sure women mature earlier than boys but you can’t tell me a girl her age will look like that in middle school.
Feb 19, 3:37 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Grawman67
Merve2Love said:
@Grawman67

Is it?

It shows her not even in a particularly sexual way. It shows her from his perspective because he's 13.

But I highly recommend continuing. It improves dramatically and is very wholesome. The sexual aspect is lessened as he gets to know her and likes her.
@Grawman67

It's not about sex or perspective, for me.

It's just this whole beginning of the story:

- Shy boy, carries a sharpie in class, fantasizing about slashing up his classmates for making fun of him. Then, surprise, he gets to know this airhead hottie, which (of course) likes him -

It's such a power fantasy. To a point where it feels like a fetish. It's just not for me^^
Maybe it's also an age thing. This sort of plot just feels forced, to me. I need some more realism/down to earth themes, to get into a romance Show. I can't get into something this absurd, when it comes to that particular genre.

But as I said....Im really in the minority with this one. Most people seem to really like this.
Feb 19, 4:03 PM

Apr 2021
Gazz said:

If they don’t make it an issue, why worry about it ?
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Feb 19, 4:05 PM

Apr 2021
Merve2Love said:
@Grawman67

Is it?

I have watched season 1 and much of season 2, there are no fetishes in the show
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Feb 19, 4:44 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to ejleon
Merve2Love said:
@Grawman67

Is it?

I have watched season 1 and much of season 2, there are no fetishes in the show
@ejleon

I'd argue the shy, introverted boy, meeting the hot, taller, lively, way more confident Girl is^^ Or at least it's a popular fantasy.

Look at Shows like: Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san, Gleipnir, Yofukashi no Uta, Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru ...etc. etc.
It's that kind of Show, that I mean when calling it a fetishized Anime, because they're all so focused on the male not beeing in charge or even beeing dominated by the female to a degree that makes it a major appeal for people watching it.

And hey...that's okay. It's just not for me.
Feb 19, 4:58 PM

Jul 2015
Character design is part of storytelling and it served particular purpose her.
Ichikawa is supposed to be insecure and anxious introverted, while Yamada is supposed to be complete opposite, a beauty out if their league. Their development and ther relationship blooming is truly beautiful.

Feb 19, 5:03 PM
Aug 2018
Merve2Love said:
@Grawman67

- Shy boy, carries a sharpie in class, fantasizing about slashing up his classmates for making fun of him. Then, surprise, he gets to know this airhead hottie, which (of course) likes him -

It's such a power fantasy. To a point where it feels like a fetish. It's just not for me^^
Maybe it's also an age thing. This sort of plot just feels forced, to me. I need some more realism/down to earth themes, to get into a romance Show. I can't get into something this absurd, when it comes to that particular genre.

But as I said....Im really in the minority with this one. Most people seem to really like this.

Fair enough! You're welcome to your opinion and I respect it. I wasn't trying to be rude so I apologize if I was!
Feb 19, 5:07 PM

Apr 2021
Merve2Love said:
@ejleon

I'd argue the shy, introverted boy, meeting the hot, taller, lively, way more confident Girl is^^ Or at least it's a popular fantasy.

Look at Shows like: Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san, Gleipnir, Yofukashi no Uta, Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru ...etc. etc.
It's that kind of Show, that I mean when calling it a fetishized Anime, because they're all so focused on the male not beeing in charge or even beeing dominated by the female to a degree that makes it a major appeal for people watching it.

And hey...that's okay. It's just not for me.

I see, so you didn’t necessarily mean “sexual fetish”, but a “situational fetish”.

I really do not logically understand the “insert yourself into anime”, since there are very few anime that are actually realistic, yet they say this about isekai, adventure, romance, and other genres.

If it has a good story, I’ll enjoy it, if not then I won’t.

I don’t need to insert myself into the story to enjoy it.

Also, I’d argue that you are not giving the main male characters in some of these shows enough credit.
ejleonFeb 19, 5:22 PM

Feb 19, 6:23 PM

Jun 2023
Nah! I don't want to be changed. Anna must be taller.
Feb 19, 6:49 PM
Nov 2018
What's wrong with someone being taller than the other?
Feb 19, 6:52 PM
Dec 2021
Watch the s02 ending
PrIYO_159Feb 19, 6:55 PM
Feb 19, 6:55 PM
Sep 2023
Is there a problem with the height difference?
Feb 19, 7:31 PM
Mar 2021
Merve2Love said:
@Grawman67

Have you watched past episode 4?
Feb 19, 7:35 PM

Sep 2018
Women really care about height, but judging by your favs you seem to be a guy. It is kind of weird for a guy to oppose short guys too. You never see short guy x tall girl irl though. Manlets have it tough.
Feb 19, 7:38 PM
Feb 2024
I normally don’t like this kink but for this anime, I am fine with this, strangely…
Feb 19, 7:54 PM
Jul 2023
you don’t fw taller women?
Feb 19, 8:23 PM
Feb 2021
Average MAL thread right here.
Feb 19, 8:24 PM
Jun 2020
rohan121 said:
Women really care about height, but judging by your favs you seem to be a guy. It is kind of weird for a guy to oppose short guys too. You never see short guy x tall girl irl though. Manlets have it tough.

bruh, there is someone i know irl and he is prolly 5'3 and he has a wife like prolly 5'7, and they currently have a daughter. So yes, they do exist irl
Feb 19, 8:33 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to Jieeeeeee
rohan121 said:

bruh, there is someone i know irl and he is prolly 5'3 and he has a wife like prolly 5'7, and they currently have a daughter. So yes, they do exist irl
@Jieeeeeee
The real question there is if the kid is that guys or another man's kid. Only dna test and the mom would know.
Feb 19, 8:40 PM

Jan 2013
I'm not really a fan of the girl being taller or more dominant than the guy, but I don't see what's "disturbing" about it.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 19, 8:55 PM

Dec 2021
It's slightly uncomfortable to watch the height difference but as long as it's not used to build artificial situations I don't mind. Well, this show does use it in a way that I don't quite like. The same can be said for My Senpai is Annoying and My Tiny Senpai too.

However, I am not very comfortable with the way this story is built and it's not just about the height difference. I mostly agree with what @Merve2Love said.
ChrononFeb 19, 9:06 PM

"𝑰𝒇 π’‚π’π’šπ’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ, 𝑰 π’˜π’‚π’π’• 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 π’”π’π’Žπ’†π’π’π’† π’˜π’‰π’ π’Œπ’π’π’˜π’” π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’˜π’‚π’π’•π’” 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆, 𝒐𝒓 π’Œπ’π’π’˜π’” π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’π’Šπ’Œπ’†π’”, 𝑰 π’ˆπ’–π’†π’”π’”?"
» [JELEE] «
0:00 〇────── 4:47
β†Ί |◁ II β–·| β™‘

Feb 19, 9:26 PM
May 2015
Give this a shot. You are overreacting.

Yamada just happened to have a growth spurt at a young age, which makes her tall, while Kyotarou is just a normal growing middle school kid.

But you know what's good about this show?

Not once (IIRC) did the show emphasize the height difference between Kyotaro and Yamada. This depicts how physical attributes like height do not matter for either of them and are purely focused on their character development, making the show even more wholesome.
Feb 19, 9:58 PM
Jul 2022
I think sometimes the height difference is inconsistent. And Yamada looks way taller compared to Ichikawa.
Feb 19, 10:04 PM
Jun 2023
Gazz said:

I love this anime, I don't think the hight difference should effect the story so much after you start watching it. For me it makes the story even better and it bring sooo many cute moments. > <
Feb 19, 10:07 PM

Sep 2018
It looked kind of silly in S1, there were scenes were they really looked like Parent and Child. But S2, I don't know if I'm used to them now, or if he's a little taller (?), that it doesn't look as strange as S1. And I do agree with whoever was saying that the models are inconsistent throughout the show.
Feb 19, 10:34 PM
Mar 2023
The perfect height πŸ˜…πŸ˜‰
However, this height discrepancy has a symbolic role. The huge difference between the two.
Feb 19, 10:52 PM
Aug 2021
I think that's totally normal when kids have 13 years old, eventually Ichikawa will probably be at least Yamadas height
Feb 20, 12:27 AM

Apr 2022
Reply to Merve2Love
@Grawman67

@Merve2Love glad there's others who think this. by far the most accurate post in this anime's forum.
Feb 20, 6:40 AM
Jun 2022
hokageofthenorth said:
No middle school girl looks like Yamada. Sure women mature earlier than boys but you can’t tell me a girl her age will look like that in middle school.

I had similarly tall and "developed" girl classmates in class 7-8. In my eyes, there is nothing unrealistic about it.
Feb 20, 4:03 PM

Oct 2014
OP here.

Thank you for the positive response. Looks like I'll give this anime a try.
Things I want to say after reading the replies;

1. I have no issue girls being taller than boy in real life, but in anime kinda. Its just looks so wrong. Same height or 1 to 2 inch difference no problem. But according to wiki, their height difference is 7 inches (it looks more than in anime btw, like a true 1 foot difference and a 15kg weight difference). Seeing them together and I just have this unexplained pain in my heart, the same pain when I was watching Accel World (fat short guy dating Kuroyukihime, hottest girl in their school). Must be the PTSD I have after watching Otome Dori. Were talking in anime, not in real life @rohan121. Maybe because I am not a fan of a shotacon genre
2. Holy F Yamada is only 13?! Good God in heaven she is a healthy girl.
3. Yup, I am overreacting. And looks like only a few here who shares the same sentiment. Ill give this a try.
Feb 20, 5:35 PM
Mar 2023
BassMax said:
hokageofthenorth said:

I had similarly tall and "developed" girl classmates in class 7-8. In my eyes, there is nothing unrealistic about it.

It might happen rarely but I think she just looks like that for story reasons about being this beautiful m, tall buxom popular girl. I still would say the average middle school girl does not look like that until at least the beginning of freshman year or during the summer of their middle school year.
Feb 21, 1:16 AM
Feb 2018
One of the biggest "gimmicks" of this show is that the usual romcom roles are flipped here.

I have the theory that eventually the height difference would stop being a thing or flip around a little. I don't know if the anime would ever reach that far.
Feb 21, 1:18 AM
Jun 2020
rohan121 said:
@Jieeeeeee
The real question there is if the kid is that guys or another man's kid. Only dna test and the mom would know.

nah, you are just cringe ass
Feb 22, 11:54 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to Merve2Love
@Grawman67

Merve2Love said:

I don't think it's an age thing if someone likes this anime or not. I'm (way) older than you and I adore this show. It reminds me of my own foolish youth and glory mistakes in junior high school, lol.

When it comes to the murderous chuunibyou plot at the beginning and the popular airhead liking the loner boy , there is truth that it's a kind of power fantasy, but let's not forget that it's still a shounen romcom at heart (albeit a special one), so I think one can overlook that aspect as it's meant to be a wholesome romantic fantasy for boys and young men and not some realistic drama which would be often dull for the target audience.
Nevertheless, the increasing affection Ichikawa gets from Yamada is earned, narratively speaking, as he constantly proves to her that he'd move heaven and earth for her and share her love and pain, despite him being a huge introvert and shy tsundere. I think one reason why this show got so popular is because of Ichikawa's character and his character progression. As a shounen romcom male protagonist he's rather unique in this regard. Him coming out of his shell demands a lot of effort and guts, and the payoff is glorious to watch.

Feb 22, 12:06 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to hokageofthenorth
I teach at a middle school. There's a girl in one of my classes who's taller than me, and I'm 1.76m.
She doesn't have Anna's "idol/model look" (because, let's be real for a moment, that's the actual fantasy here), but definitely her size, and she's at least 12-15cm taller than the rest of her classmates.

So yes, they do exist.
Feb 22, 12:08 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Swiss_Bohemian
Merve2Love said:

I don't think it's an age thing if someone likes this anime or not. I'm (way) older than you and I adore this show. It reminds me of my own foolish youth and glory mistakes in junior high school, lol.

When it comes to the murderous chuunibyou plot at the beginning and the popular airhead liking the loner boy , there is truth that it's a kind of power fantasy, but let's not forget that it's still a shounen romcom at heart (albeit a special one), so I think one can overlook that aspect as it's meant to be a wholesome romantic fantasy for boys and young men and not some realistic drama which would be often dull for the target audience.
Nevertheless, the increasing affection Ichikawa gets from Yamada is earned, narratively speaking, as he constantly proves to her that he'd move heaven and earth for her and share her love and pain, despite him being a huge introvert and shy tsundere. I think one reason why this show got so popular is because of Ichikawa's character and his character progression. As a shounen romcom male protagonist he's rather unique in this regard. Him coming out of his shell demands a lot of effort and guts, and the payoff is glorious to watch.

@Swiss_Bohemian

For me, I think it is.
I would have a much easier time accepting some of the weirdness, if I were a kid, I feel^^

Of course that's not true for everyone, but this Show is nothing I can relate to on any level. It's not that kind of Show, honestly. It's a power fantasy.
In the mood for a nice romcom, I wouldn't choose something as weird as this one.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do girls like Yamada really exist? ( 1 2 )

Zarutaku - Jan 21

79 by Scootboi »»
May 21, 1:58 AM

» Has the english dub been announced?

middle_pickup - Jan 24

27 by SammyOldLad »»
May 19, 11:22 AM

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Season 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Softhenic03 - Mar 30

348 by UaEfAlCoN83 »»
May 17, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Season 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 24

116 by little_raven »»
May 5, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Season 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 9

118 by Mattinator95 »»
May 5, 6:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.