Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 19, 1:30 PM

Aug 2021
When season 1 came out with this first episode, I assumed this had to be another trashy waifu bait romcom with the self-insert MC where it only relies on the waifu as marketing to make the show popular but I was wrong. Now, I am on my way to start watching this show.

Like My Dress-Up up darling, Komi-san, and [Unpopular guy x Popular girl] romance, they generally rely on the waifu's attractiveness to get a massive audience and MC will always get the most generic designs possible. These shows have been plaguing heterosexual romances for a long time.

Does this show avoid these typical issues of heterosexual romances that come out of the shonen demographic?
Sanjay63773Feb 19, 1:41 PM
Feb 19, 1:39 PM
Aug 2018
Yes it does. It develops the characters very well and it's very rewarding.
Feb 19, 1:40 PM
Aug 2020
i think mc guy did improved so its okay.
Feb 19, 1:44 PM
Jul 2022
I mean it doesn't really shy away from tropy stuff but builds upon it; more than romance this is also a fantastic coming of age story for both characters pretty much equally.

Yamada is premium waifu bait but not in a bad way and not for the reasons you may think. Let's just say that people weren't calling her a chadette for no reason during S1.
Feb 19, 2:28 PM

Sep 2016
The male MC does have some generic traits, but he's different enough to take a liking to him, especially at the beginning.
Personality-wise I find him more interesting than the girl, which is a rare thing to happen in Shounen romance.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 19, 6:00 PM
Dec 2018
I think as it goes, the mc really develops
Feb 19, 6:14 PM

Oct 2021
It's the same as My dress up darling, if you hate that then I doubt you'll like this. This is probably worse though because My dress up at least have the cosplay aspest.
Feb 19, 6:25 PM
Jul 2021
EdgyLord666 said:
It's the same as My dress up darling, if you hate that then I doubt you'll like this. This is probably worse though because My dress up at least have the cosplay aspest.

No it isn't, wtf are you watching. Dress up darling is really a waifu bait show as he said, little to no character development and tons of fan service to grab the audience.
While in the case of "Dangers in my heart" it's really a progressing story with well written characters, that's why people like it even though it has no cheap unnecessary fanservice scenes.
Feb 19, 6:39 PM
Sep 2021
Reckless_weeb said:
EdgyLord666 said:

No it isn't, wtf are you watching. Dress up darling is really a waifu bait show as he said, little to no character development and tons of fan service to grab the audience.
While in the case of "Dangers in my heart" it's really a progressing story with well written characters, that's why people like it even though it has no cheap unnecessary fanservice scenes.

" even though it has cheap unnecessary fanservice moments "

lol
Feb 19, 6:40 PM
Apr 2018
Reply to Reckless_weeb
EdgyLord666 said:

@Reckless_weeb the moment i understand why their name is "EdgyLord" lol
Feb 19, 6:40 PM
Sep 2021
yes it's a waifu bait show, so what ?

that's not a bad thing and you should stop judging media by superficial terms that mean jack shit and Actually appreciate media for its actual pros

who cares if it's a " power fantasy " or " unrealistic " ?

the Characters are very likable and they do develop, you don't need anything more
Feb 19, 6:49 PM

Jan 2013
This show wouldn't be any different than MDUD if we're going by your shallow interpretation of "waifubait" ... but otherwise no.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 19, 8:23 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to EdgyLord666
@EdgyLord666 lmao don't comparr that shit dres up darling to this peak romance, the character is 10 times better with better progress and development.
Feb 19, 9:06 PM
Jan 2021
Sanjay63773 said:
When season 1 came out with this first episode, I assumed this had to be another trashy waifu bait romcom with the self-insert MC where it only relies on the waifu as marketing to make the show popular but I was wrong. Now, I am on my way to start watching this show.

Like My Dress-Up up darling, Komi-san, and [Unpopular guy x Popular girl] romance, they generally rely on the waifu's attractiveness to get a massive audience and MC will always get the most generic designs possible. These shows have been plaguing heterosexual romances for a long time.

Does this show avoid these typical issues of heterosexual romances that come out of the shonen demographic?

Why do you feel the need to specify heterosexual?
Feb 19, 9:14 PM

Dec 2021
Yes, this is the glorious successor of MDUD, as a superficial romance. However, the male lead is less NPC-like and has more character in him.

"𝑰𝒇 π’‚π’π’šπ’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ, 𝑰 π’˜π’‚π’π’• 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 π’”π’π’Žπ’†π’π’π’† π’˜π’‰π’ π’Œπ’π’π’˜π’” π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’˜π’‚π’π’•π’” 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆, 𝒐𝒓 π’Œπ’π’π’˜π’” π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’π’Šπ’Œπ’†π’”, 𝑰 π’ˆπ’–π’†π’”π’”?"
» [JELEE] «
0:00 〇────── 4:47
β†Ί |◁ II β–·| β™‘

Feb 19, 9:38 PM

Aug 2018
The comparisons to My Dress-Up Darling...

Help me man.
Feb 19, 9:42 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to BucketBall
Sanjay63773 said:

Why do you feel the need to specify heterosexual?
@BucketBall op is gay if you see a lot of his other threads around
Feb 19, 9:44 PM
Jan 2021
deg said:
@BucketBall op is gay if you see a lot of his other threads around

I was able to infer he was either gay or a California resident from the use of heterosexual.
Clown world
Feb 19, 10:08 PM
Jun 2023
Sanjay63773 said:

Lol ichikawa is my favorite character from this anime. The anime mostly rely of the characteristics of the characters and as the show progresses shows how ichikawa wants to avoid his trauma and how yamada helps ichikawa become his old happy and confident self.
Feb 19, 11:35 PM
Jul 2021
All great romances have one thing in common:

you come for the waifu, you stay for the protagonist.

This is one of those animes.
Feb 20, 12:04 AM
Sep 2023
Its main selling point is the MCs personal growth and development. It is clearly emphasized on Ichikawa's gradual transformation from a cringey edgelord into a certified gigachad.
Feb 20, 3:08 AM

Oct 2021
Reply to Reckless_weeb
EdgyLord666 said:

@Reckless_weeb "wtf are you watching", the fanservice in MDUD at least has a narrative purpose, while in here it's literally unnecessary.
Feb 20, 3:10 AM

Oct 2021
Reply to Johntyson31
@EdgyLord666 lmao don't comparr that shit dres up darling to this peak romance, the character is 10 times better with better progress and development.
@Johntyson31 they have the same shallow romance, but I enjoy the fun cosplay concept in MDUD.
Feb 20, 3:14 AM
Jul 2021
EdgyLord666 said:
@Reckless_weeb "wtf are you watching", the fanservice in MDUD at least has a narrative purpose, while in here it's literally unnecessary.

There's little to no fanservice in DIMH bruh you sure you're not watching something else?
Feb 20, 3:17 AM

Oct 2021
Reply to Reckless_weeb
EdgyLord666 said:

There's little to no fanservice in DIMH bruh you sure you're not watching something else?
@Reckless_weeb little or no sir? Make up your mind.
Feb 20, 3:24 AM
Feb 2024
Reply to EdgyLord666
@EdgyLord666

Ummm, as a mange reader our common consensus is that the fan services are for Norio (the mangaka) herself. It is pretty well known that Norio was restrained by the editor not to go too lewd in BokuYaba…

If you want to know why we say so, please watch Mitsudomoe.
Feb 20, 4:01 AM

Dec 2019
This show's got a lot of focus on character development so I think this is a lot better. Ichikawa has come a long ass way from where he was in the first couple episodes to where he is at now, while not just having him transform automatically to perfect in everything like what Jinwoo sung is experiencing in solo leveling for his 'development'. Even seeing their initial interactions be Ichikawa hiding on the sidelines as Yamada goofs around with food instead of having a 'perfect image' is night and day compared to how everything is now. Didn't personally feel My dress up darling had much substance at all when it came to the characters and their developments in the 12 episodes I got of it so far. Plus despite Yamada's perfections on the surface at times, she is shown to have a lot of flaws too, with Ichikawa being a good catalyst to help be supportful to her as well so even if the situation isnt the most realistic of them all, the characters do feel like they improve each other and have good chemistry together in funny moments, normal moments, and emotional/sad ones too.
Feb 20, 4:20 AM
Jul 2021
No one cares shut up
Feb 20, 5:54 AM

Mar 2020
it does tropes true, but the way it executes it is what makes it such a standout from other romance shows
Feb 20, 5:54 AM
Jul 2021
i personally just dislike the mc icl. But objectively the show does a better job than most with the male mc and his character development even if i just don’t like him 🀣. I could definitely see me liking the show if it continues.
Feb 20, 8:15 AM
Jul 2021
EdgyLord666 said:

Compared to MDUD it's nothing
Feb 20, 8:19 AM

Mar 2023
Most anime nowadays is waifu bait.
Feb 20, 3:56 PM

Oct 2021
Reply to Reckless_weeb
EdgyLord666 said:

Compared to MDUD it's nothing
@Reckless_weeb well yes, no one argue about MDUD having more fanservices than this.
Feb 23, 5:57 AM

Feb 2021
How many "typical" romcom FMCs do you know that are a full head taller than the MMC, eat like a horse, and act awkward as fuck 🀣 This one's characters are pretty weird as far as romance goes, and it makes it loveable and entertaining
Feb 23, 3:31 PM
Feb 2024
Chronon said:
Yes, this is the glorious successor of MDUD, as a superficial romance. However, the male lead is less NPC-like and has more character in him.

i dont think bokuyaba comes off as superficial at all . they are clearly interested in each other,they change eachother,you can pinpoint some of the moments that made them closer to eachother. Superficial romances are like..hajimete no gal or the truly garbage nagatoro,uzaki etc. I also believe MDUD is really good but thats an argument for another day
Feb 24, 2:45 AM

May 2009
Define waifubait
Feb 24, 3:03 AM

Aug 2021
Reply to bastek66
Define waifubait
@bastek66 Female character being created for purposes of marketability
Feb 24, 3:07 AM

May 2009
Reply to Sanjay63773
@bastek66 Female character being created for purposes of marketability
@Sanjay63773 So all anime with female main characters?
Mar 4, 4:23 AM
Apr 2022
Development doesn't make a show automatically good. It can be, but it's not a guarantee, and it's not a requirement. Just because Shirogana in Kaguya-sama has already peaked first episode and there isn't a whole lot of room for growth for that character, doesn't make that show a shitty waifu-bait show where MC never grows. It depends on how characters interact with each other.

That said, I really don't get how MDUD male lead is generic. He is tall, actually would be considered hot by high school standard, and actually has a life skill and is a dependable human being. How TF is that your typical generic high school MC with no life skills? lmao. He is much closer to Shirogana than to for example Tadano-kun from Komi-san. He is much less of a self-insert if we really want to compare him to Ichikawa.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do girls like Yamada really exist? ( 1 2 )

Zarutaku - Jan 21

79 by Scootboi »»
May 21, 1:58 AM

» Has the english dub been announced?

middle_pickup - Jan 24

27 by SammyOldLad »»
May 19, 11:22 AM

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Season 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Softhenic03 - Mar 30

348 by UaEfAlCoN83 »»
May 17, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Season 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 24

116 by little_raven »»
May 5, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Season 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 9

118 by Mattinator95 »»
May 5, 6:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.