Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 19, 5:53 AM
Mar 2020
Hi, i was thinking about catching up with this anime since the 3rd season is about to drop next spring. Now, the rating for both previous seasons that aired so far are way lower than that of the source material, so it made me think that this adaptation maybe isn't as good. My question is that, how good is this adaptation, how good are the art and animation, is the pacing good? It doesn't have to be a stellar adaptation for me to watch it, what i want to know is does the anime skip stuff from LN, does it change anything significant? Thank you in advance.
Feb 19, 10:48 AM
Jan 2018
Artorias94 said:
Hi, i was thinking about catching up with this anime since the 3rd season is about to drop next spring. Now, the rating for both previous seasons that aired so far are way lower than that of the source material, so it made me think that this adaptation maybe isn't as good. My question is that, how good is this adaptation, how good are the art and animation, is the pacing good? It doesn't have to be a stellar adaptation for me to watch it, what i want to know is does the anime skip stuff from LN, does it change anything significant? Thank you in advance.

Sorry if I don't remember too much stuff it's been some time since I watched and read it.

The first time I watched I was young and dumb to be honest so there's a lot of stuff I don't pay attention, a few years later I read the entire LN and then I watched everything again.

I wouldn't say it's a perfect adaptation but it's good, the anime cut's a lot of the worldbuilding, politics and the science behind the "Magic" stuff that would be quite boring to explain in anime format, so they explain just enough to make cense that there's science behind all of the cool stuff. If you don't care a lot about that stuff you can watch it just for the fight scenes and all. (Again maybe it's more detailed than I remember, all cool details that I can think of came from the LN).

The pacing it's pretty consistent with the number of Episodes per Volumes.

NOW if you're a nerd like me the LN is awesome (physics major here), the worldbuilding is explained in details, from the politics and the socioeconomical role of the Mages in society to the details of how spells work with physics and thermodinamics. If you enjoy that stuff I totally recomend reading it while checking some anime episodes for context in some scenes as well for the action and characters designs.

Edit: Also, the animation and overall production is good from what I remember. They don't skip basically anything from what I can remember.
But the final of the 2nd season is an anime original mini arc.
Also the anime is pretty vague on some characters relationships and jobs, it leaves you to guess why they're dangerous/important.
ThighsYLoverFeb 19, 10:59 AM
Feb 19, 1:20 PM
Jan 2014
Just like @ThighsYLover said - Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei is one of my all time favorites due to the attention to detail. E.g., in one of the scenes there's a calendar in the background - I tried looking up said calendar for October 2097 - and it was a match with the weekdays and dates.

This anime/novel isn't all about constant battles (but when there are fight scenes then they're Solo Leveling awesome), but emphasize magic theory and politics. The only criticism I have is the constant focus, in the latter part of the series, on the so called parasites. I would rather the author focused more on the international politics, master clans, and the effects that a strategic magician has on a world scale (which it feel like the author is doing in the follow-up series "Magian Company").

This anime/novel isn't for everyone - but it is unique in the amazingly in-depth and detailed magic system and how a world, which has been affected by magic, would look like after a 3rd world war.
Feb 19, 1:27 PM
Jan 2014
and to answer your question - I just re-read all of the novels after re-watching the anime. The anime does follow the novel 99% of the time, but there are some differences. E.g., at the end of visitor arc, the new humanity front is introduced which isn't done before the beginning of Magian Company. The entire scene with the sky scraper doesn't happen in the novel - so it's not completely canon. Similarly, in the movie "The Girl Who Summons The Stars" God-suya uses the Beta Trident decomposing elements into hadrons - this is a magic he never uses again in the novel nor is it described in the novel.
Feb 20, 4:26 AM
Aug 2021
There's far more depth into how everything works in the LN but the story and characters are all done well in the anime.

More topics from this board

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

32 by yamori_058 »»
Apr 28, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.