Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 20, 10:06 AM
Oct 2022
Reply to sjydude201
@AbyssWalker21 ngl the azul fight was so underwhelming b/c of the crappy original content build-up to it. They did try their best to copy the manga but really it was just Utena and her VA stealing the show. The problem is they sort of mixed some things around just a tiny bit and added too much original content. I DO NOT remember the baby-play episode at all in the manga, and even if it was in the manga, definitely not that early. Some of the extra fanservice was nice here and there, but it's kind of annoying how much of the content they're sacrificing by mixing stuff around because the story is actually pretty good compared to what I was expecting for it.

Kind of hate some of the stuff later too and worried about how it's gonna be animated w/ all the little things changed here and there. Mostly, I just hate Magenta's and Sulfur's La Veritas. Seeing Azul's hyped me up so much and then I saw Sulfur's and was like, "wow the costume design sorta sucks and is so typical". She's my favorite too, but her expressions are so much better in the manga and they make the characters more badass in general. The anime got Utena's expressions as Magia Baiser when she's hyped up pretty good, but Sulfur's were so plain when she's being a badass. Manga Sulfur is way sexier. I just don't see them staying faithful at all and favoring the fan service.

on a side note:
I wish they extended that storyline a bit more w/ Azul in the manga but it did make sense for them to be training why Enormita was fighting among themselves. Could've saved up her development a bit for later cause it kind of got resolved fast. Feel like they're not gonna get to Kaoruko's bit of development and definitely not gonna get to Magenta's. Based on what we've seen though, like I said before, I see them squeezing stuff that happens later in the manga here and there like how Kaoruko met the other 2 is shown early. It feels like they're going to keep taking stuff from both of the other 2's arcs to give them some shine in the anime as well.
@sjydude201

Paired with the hit-or-miss nature of the original content is the fact that the actual technical aspects seem to be slipping pretty hard. Episode 1 was the best example of an adaptation expansion helping the story breathe more. Instead of seeing the cat thing, getting transformed, then instantly dragged into a fight, then fucking off to a magical dark realm, all in the same scene, they actually have Utena being stalked, and coerced over a period of time, then finally left with no choice but to fight after the girls outright refused to listen to her. After that, the art, and the original content's been slowly slipping, until here, where it looks like they're scrambling just to get the episode out.
Feb 20, 11:47 AM

Jan 2014
Reply to HyperlinkBlocked
@sjydude201

Paired with the hit-or-miss nature of the original content is the fact that the actual technical aspects seem to be slipping pretty hard. Episode 1 was the best example of an adaptation expansion helping the story breathe more. Instead of seeing the cat thing, getting transformed, then instantly dragged into a fight, then fucking off to a magical dark realm, all in the same scene, they actually have Utena being stalked, and coerced over a period of time, then finally left with no choice but to fight after the girls outright refused to listen to her. After that, the art, and the original content's been slowly slipping, until here, where it looks like they're scrambling just to get the episode out.
@HyperlinkBlocked I think you sum it up beautifully. The first episodes have time and care put into them. After the studio is done baiting us into watching it, they stop putting effort and budget and we're left with a mostly hollow adaptation.

With that said, this is a very small production for an anime which should have remained unknown for the most part. So while it is easy to criticize we have to remind ourselves that this is the best they can do. And even so they still tried their best with the Utena part in the Azul fight. But it feels rushed because, honestly it is. They crammed as much fan favs into 13 eps cause this wasn't supposed to get popular or a 2nd season.
AbyssWalker21Feb 20, 11:25 PM
Feb 20, 1:58 PM

Jun 2013
Reply to AbyssWalker21
@HyperlinkBlocked I think you sum it up beautifully. The first episodes have time and care put into them. After the studio is done baiting us into watching it, they stop putting effort and budget and we're left with a mostly hollow adaptation.

With that said, this is a very small production for an anime which should have remained unknown for the most part. So while it is easy to criticize we have to remind ourselves that this is the best they can do. And even so they still tried their best with the Utena part in the Azul fight. But it feels rushed because, honestly it is. They crammed as much fan favs into 13 eps cause this wasn't supposed to get popular or a 2nd season.
@AbyssWalker21 I kind of disagree with both your and HyperLink point about quality.

So far the anime has been good adaptation, despite of them changing few scenes from the manga and inserting some anime originals. We have to remember that not every adaptation will be 1 on 1 as the story as it is written in the manga or written in the novel will not translate that well to animated format. I would be criticizing them if they butchered the story but so far they have handled it good and developed the girls at the start instead of waiting for S2 to show us some of their backstories which would be hindering the anime a lot of left like that.

As for anime quality itself (animation, music etc...) I find it fine, the battles and teasing scenes are done good. Only issue I had with Alice introduction episode where animation quality drop was noticeable in some area. But overall it did not affect the rest of the anime.

This will get Season 2 for sure, especially after Episode 7 where the story picks up and becomes better as the time goes by.
Feb 20, 3:12 PM
Feb 2023
Insane episode, I didn't saw that coming.
Feb 20, 7:02 PM
Oct 2022
Reply to BrotherCoa
@AbyssWalker21 I kind of disagree with both your and HyperLink point about quality.

So far the anime has been good adaptation, despite of them changing few scenes from the manga and inserting some anime originals. We have to remember that not every adaptation will be 1 on 1 as the story as it is written in the manga or written in the novel will not translate that well to animated format. I would be criticizing them if they butchered the story but so far they have handled it good and developed the girls at the start instead of waiting for S2 to show us some of their backstories which would be hindering the anime a lot of left like that.

As for anime quality itself (animation, music etc...) I find it fine, the battles and teasing scenes are done good. Only issue I had with Alice introduction episode where animation quality drop was noticeable in some area. But overall it did not affect the rest of the anime.

This will get Season 2 for sure, especially after Episode 7 where the story picks up and becomes better as the time goes by.
@BrotherCoa

The most noticeable drops in quality for Episode 7 were when they just stood around and talked. Their mouths didn't actually seem to be attached to their faces at all, somehow. The rest just seems weird if you look at it too hard. Feels like some of the time could have been better spent extending the fight, or the bath scene, or something.
Feb 20, 7:21 PM
Jun 2022
Azure had me feeling some type of way for a sec there. Conflicted about Utena's reaction to her tho. Lowkey wanted to see her become her master and how that would go. Definitely not what I had in mind when I first started watching this show tho. I deadass thought it was going to be kinda like Madoka Magica going into this show originally.
Feb 20, 11:32 PM
Level 1 Otaku

Jan 2018
Collecting all the tags I see...

Putting that aside, the voice acting this episode went beyond expectations with the last fight scene in this episode.

The reveal of the other evil magical girls recruited by Venalita at the end was surprising. Can't wait to see how they end this show in the next 5 episodes now.
mimimilkFeb 20, 11:39 PM

Feb 21, 1:07 PM
Oct 2023
Full predator mode. Damn!
Feb 25, 5:42 AM
Sep 2021
OK, this episode was clearly a mind break & corruption elements themed episode. But thankfully we didn't head too much on that route. Respect for Utena she really shined as an MC.
Feb 25, 6:26 AM
Jan 2023
sesbian lex with minors and bdsm with mindbreak
Feb 28, 5:46 PM

May 2022
Well... Sayo is finally broken and... that was hot.

I wonder why I'm enjoying watching this...
Mar 4, 11:16 AM

Jul 2017
Yes, Utena does look up to the Tres Magia, yet not in a way that feels satisfying to catch, as she's become too easy and gullible. Kaoruko grueling Sayo isn't going to help, as while Kiwi is out to a family vacation. Clearly, something is wrong with Sayo, and since the day she became a Magical Girl with Haruka, she's been always on top of things. Vatz allowing Sayo to get some rest, and Utena, realizing the same situation, tries to think of something to help her.

Utena going alone for the Magical Girl Exhibition and Sayo saving her skin, might as well give it a try. Utena's the same crazed hardcore fan, though not even Magical Girl fan-favourite episodes could change her. Enough with babbling over her weaknesses, Sayo faces Utena as Baiser, forced to fight her alone due to both Kiwi and Korisu on their off schedules, to the full extent of her abilties to keep up her stance as a Magical Girl. Too bad for her, Utena's sadist mentality is driving her insane, and like a masochist, follows her lead, but instead, gets a talking by Baiser, though it's the pot calling the kettle black on that.

Enormita's Lord Squad has come...and the 3 newbies must face their wrath.
Mar 6, 9:47 PM
Jul 2021
This is Holy Funny!
Mar 10, 4:51 AM

Dec 2008
The beginning was funny when the others pointed out that Sayo enjoys the lewd attacks and doesn't do her job anymore.
Well, they actually never do something really important instead of falling in ecchi traps XD

Utena should blame herself for turning Sayo into a horny bitch, but Utena enjoys the teasing more than everything,
so she doesn't want a personal sex slave with broken mind.
The silly hentai attack pattern is her fighting style, but what she did there was just too much for an already aroused girl.
The ambivalence is really a good thing in this anime Utena is no bad girl.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 4:55 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Utena alone with Sayo can really be awkward lol. I'm curious about the new group they're going to introduce
Mar 12, 3:57 PM

Sep 2014
I was worried there for a second, but this show never disappoints!

Come on Utena, we know what kind of magazines you read instead of studying, you are into this too.
Seriously though while I understand she ultimately wants to see magical girls struggle, I thought breaking them completely would be fine with her too? Atleast as long as they are still magical girls.

Because of modern hollywood, I have this framed on my wall now.

Comander-07Mar 12, 4:07 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 20, 1:29 PM

Nov 2017
Villainess with principles is hot 🫵😤🫵
Mar 29, 10:21 AM

Aug 2019
good mindbreak, utena should have made sayo her toy :)

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 7:20 PM
Dec 2022
It was in fact a solid anime but still had some things that i personaly didn't like. But still it achieve something that most of season anime didn't a solid story and character
Apr 5, 7:20 AM

Aug 2014
What the fuck this show has deeper characters than 99% of every other show. I didn't think it'd be this good but I am loving it.
Apr 6, 5:45 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Azure got more than the trouble, its a sub! Too bad for Utena, someone she's so gushing over turned out as a big L like that. Sayo really thinking she can beat Utena in a fair one-o-one battle, however, she lost and completely broken. Tho, Utena refuse to acknowledge that with such a disgusting look lmao.

Now that's quite a question for Utena way of thinking after all Azure complete submission, what's she gonna do next especially with the reveal of the more member of the evil people. Let's hope its have more lewd.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 13, 9:48 AM

Apr 2019
well that was hardcore. as expected with azure. but damn, what does this mean. what does that make them? what are they to each other?

and seeing utena geeking out in magical girl expo was so adorable.

Maybe watching, maybe reading, probably living
Apr 16, 4:59 AM
Jul 2023
HOLY SHIT she broke sayo, sorta and OMG actual baddies, shit just got real
Apr 16, 12:20 PM

Nov 2009
BTW, how many "Mahou Shoujos" are there?

Seems like quite a few have actually "Died" by the hands of this evil organization's TOP executives... (with them showing the broken hearts they use for transformations just as we see Sayo's broke before her mind broke...)
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Apr 27, 7:03 PM

Jan 2017
What was shaping up to be Sayo/Azure's redemption arc turned out to be her mindbreak/downfall, what a twist!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Softhenic03 - Feb 7

113 by nexolite1 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Mar 27

130 by Jonas-K »»
May 10, 11:34 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 3

355 by DX_impulse »»
May 9, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Feb 28

89 by Timetoaster »»
May 8, 7:01 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 17

142 by RetroxMG »»
May 1, 1:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.