Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 22, 3:16 AM

Dec 2021
Discuss.

It has no core cyberpunk technology or themes, and focuses primarily on paranormal abilities in a futuristic settin Addendum:

I wanted to share my perspective on the classic anime film "Akira" and argue that it doesn't quite fit the cyberpunk genre. While it's easy to see the futuristic setting and advanced technology and associate it with cyberpunk, I believe there are crucial distinctions.

Cyberpunk, as a genre, is known for its core elements: advanced technology, dystopian settings, and themes of social order and identity. It often explores the integration of technology into daily life, leading to questions of humanity. The settings are usually dystopian, focusing on societal breakdown, and themes include artificial intelligence, cybernetics, and corporate dominance.

"Akira" shares some superficial similarities with cyberpunk, such as its futuristic setting and advanced technology. However, it diverges significantly in its core themes and narrative focus. For instance, William Gibson's "Neuromancer," a cornerstone of cyberpunk, introduced concepts like DEX, ICE, and immersive virtual environments, which are central to the genre. These elements are notably absent in "Akira."

Instead, "Akira" focuses on post-apocalyptic Neo-Tokyo, with themes of youth rebellion, government corruption, and power misuse. The advanced technology doesn't shape society as it does in cyberpunk. "Akira" explores political, military, and psychological conflicts, in contrast to cyberpunk's typical focus on technology's impact on identity.

I believe "Akira" is better categorized within the genres of post-apocalyptic and science fiction anime, with a strong emphasis on political commentary and psychological drama. The film delves into the human psyche, examining the impact of trauma, the nature of power, and the fragility of social structures.

It's a character-driven narrative set in a society struggling to rebuild itself after an apocalyptic event. "Akira" also explores psychic powers and existential themes, aligning it more with speculative fiction.

In conclusion, while "Akira" may visually resemble cyberpunk, its core narrative and themes belong to a different genre. I'd love to hear your thoughts and discuss this further!
TheRedCommentJan 22, 11:53 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 22, 3:37 AM
Feb 2022
Cyberpunk is a subgenre of science fiction in a dystopian futuristic setting that tends to focus on a "combination of lowlife and high tech", featuring futuristic technological and scientific achievements. Akira is definitely not an anime set in a dystopian city of neo Tokyo and Kaneda definitely wanted to be caught up in Akira project
Jan 22, 3:44 AM

Jun 2016
It's urban, it's futuristic and everything has gone to shit. That's enough for me.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 22, 3:57 AM
Sep 2020
Ok…………………………..
Jan 22, 4:15 AM

Dec 2021
There are no decks, hacking, ICE, or cybernetic implants
Jan 22, 4:48 AM
Aug 2022
man this is a really cool discussion. I never really thought of it as cyber punk. i just looked at it as akira. if anything it's more george Orwellian. but at the same time it is kind of cyber punky. Akira is a touch of it all I guess
Jan 22, 4:48 AM
Aug 2022
man this is a really cool discussion. I never really thought of it as cyber punk. i just looked at it as akira. if anything it's more george Orwellian. but at the same time it is kind of cyber punky. Akira is a touch of it all I guess
Jan 22, 4:49 AM
Aug 2022
interesting. I'm stuck on it
Jan 22, 5:14 AM
Jul 2020
"High Tech and Low Living" People living in the decaying underbelly of a higher-tech dystopian urban society define the cyberpunk genre; it doesn't necessarily require futuristic neon-lit buildings and Ana de Armas saying 'You look Lonely' to be considered cyberpunk. While it incorporates some cyberpunk elements, it is still a sci-fi fiction. Instead of cybernetics and human cyborgs, they have espers who can wield powerful psychic abilities.
Jan 22, 5:46 AM

Jan 2009
the setting is high tech but low life so that is enough to call it cyberpunk
Jan 22, 6:26 AM
Retar
Nov 2021
1. It can be both paranormal AND cyberpunk, these are not mutually exclusive.
2. Whether or not it's just like all the other cyberpunk settings is not even worth focusing on. The setting is fitting of all the most basic criteria and what defines cyberpunk, it is therefore cyberpunk, even if this is not Akira's primary genre/theme.
Retar
Nov 2021
2. Whether or not it's just like all the other cyberpunk settings is not even worth focusing on. The setting is fitting of all the most basic criteria and what defines cyberpunk, it is therefore cyberpunk, even if this is not Akira's primary genre/theme.
Retar
Nov 2021
Jan 22, 6:27 AM
Retar
Nov 2021
Jan 22, 7:04 AM

Feb 2010
I think it can be both. It just seems less cyberpunk now because we've had 40 years of technological advancement
Jan 22, 10:20 AM
Dec 2021
high tech, low life. technology being used in an immoral sense. civil discount. This is cyberpunk.
Jan 22, 11:13 AM
Apr 2023
we don't care...........
Jan 22, 11:33 AM

Dec 2021
DioBrando_69420 said:
"High Tech and Low Living" People living in the decaying underbelly of a higher-tech dystopian urban society define the cyberpunk genre; it doesn't necessarily require futuristic neon-lit buildings and Ana de Armas saying 'You look Lonely' to be considered cyberpunk. While it incorporates some cyberpunk elements, it is still a sci-fi fiction. Instead of cybernetics and human cyborgs, they have espers who can wield powerful psychic abilities.

no, there's hardly any future tech at all which is a core component of the cyberpunk genre as well as hacking and networking identities
Jan 22, 11:36 AM

Dec 2021
bossunhimeswitch said:
I think it can be both. It just seems less cyberpunk now because we've had 40 years of technological advancement

that's not true at all, when Akira was released and written neuromancer had been around for a long time
Jan 22, 11:38 AM

Dec 2021
bossunhimeswitch said:

that's not true at all, when Akira was released and written neuromancer had been around for a long time

it's not cyberpunk at all
Jan 22, 12:10 PM

Dec 2021
Lonelygutsclone said:

As I've explained it's definitely not Cyberpunk, but it's not Orwellian either - except for the grasp of authorities on cracking down on civilians.
Jan 22, 12:12 PM

Dec 2021
bossunhimeswitch said:

But "Neuromancer" was published before Akira.

EDIT: Akira was published before Neuromancer.
TheRedCommentJan 24, 11:58 PM
Jan 22, 9:32 PM
Retar
Nov 2021
TheRedComment said:
bossunhimeswitch said:

as if it has to be some level of "high tech" - where do you draw the line between "futuristic" and "cyberpunk", why there and how is your line not just an arbitrary feeling you have? There is nothing to discuss, the movie fits the definition. Whether or not you think it's a good word to use to describe the movie is irrelevant, especially considering how much the cyberpunk genre formed and consolidated into something very specific (hacking, augmented reality, etc.). It's irrelevant.
Jan 22, 9:32 PM
Retar
Nov 2021
TheRedComment said:
bossunhimeswitch said:

as if it has to be some level of "high tech" - where do you draw the line between "futuristic" and "cyberpunk", why there and how is your line not just an arbitrary feeling you have? There is nothing to discuss, the movie fits the definition. Whether or not you think it's a good word to use to describe the movie is irrelevant, especially considering how much the cyberpunk genre formed and consolidated into something very specific (hacking, augmented reality, etc.). It's irrelevant.
Jan 22, 9:33 PM
Retar
Nov 2021
TheRedComment said:
bossunhimeswitch said:

Jan 22, 9:33 PM
Retar
Nov 2021
TheRedComment said:
bossunhimeswitch said:

Jan 22, 9:39 PM
Retar
Nov 2021
TheRedComment said:
bossunhimeswitch said:

Jan 23, 3:17 AM

Dec 2021
Achie420 said:
TheRedComment said:

It was always about hacking, artificial intelligence, AI, and that's why it's called"Cyber". There's no Cyber in Akira. only punk.
Jan 23, 11:04 AM

Dec 2021
Azamweos said:
This is almost as stupid as claiming Star Wars is not sci-fi but a only a fantasy film. Also, cyberpunk does not have to be in a dystopian setting and could very well exist in a normal world setting.

Please read Neuromancer to understand the core elements of cyberpunk.
Jan 23, 11:09 AM

Dec 2021
Azamweos said:
@TheRedComment

Says the guy who doesn't understand what cyberpunk is and tries to make others accept his headcanon description. That's funny.

Read the original post I clearly defined cyberpunk.
Jan 23, 1:06 PM
Jul 2019
OP said Neuromancer was published before Akira, but that's not true, Akira came 2 years before. Besides, there are a lot of cyberpunk works featuring the paranormal and ESP and not a lot of focus on technology, such as Judge Dredd and Phillip K Dick's novels (both of which predate Neuromancer).
Jan 23, 2:38 PM
Jul 2022
You have to remember that this was released in 1988. Cyberpunk movies were largely unexplored and focused heavily on the dystopian aspect. Lots of the common themes we see in today’s examples (transhumanism, heavy focus on computers) weren’t common yet.
Jan 23, 2:40 PM
Jul 2022
TheRedComment said:
bossunhimeswitch said:

4 years is not a long time. Especially not for it to change the sci-fi/cyberpunk genre the way it has now.

EDIT: just realized the person above me is totally right. Akira’s manga began in ‘82. So this is a classic case of ‘putting the cart before the horse’ I think
Jan 23, 2:40 PM

Apr 2020
Nah, dude. It's cyberpunk, alright^^
Jan 23, 2:48 PM

Dec 2021
Honeypon said:
TheRedComment said:

4 years is not a long time. Especially not for it to change the sci-fi/cyberpunk genre the way it has now.

EDIT: just realized the person above me is totally right. Akira’s manga began in ‘82. So this is a classic case of ‘putting the cart before the horse’ I think

That proves my point, Akira CAN'T be cyberpunk because Neuromancer introduced the genre.
Jan 23, 2:49 PM

Dec 2021
Merve2Love said:

Look above at my last post ^^^
Jan 23, 2:55 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to TheRedComment
Merve2Love said:

Look above at my last post ^^^
@TheRedComment

Damn^^ I got your standart treatment of: "You don't agree, cause you don't understand. Read what I have to say"

You know what. You turned me around. Im on your side now. It's not cyberpunk at all.
You watched 40 Shows in your life. You know whats going on. My bad.
Jan 23, 2:58 PM

Dec 2021
Merve2Love said:
@TheRedComment

Damn^^ I got your standart treatment of: "You don't agree, cause you don't understand. Read what I have to say"

You know what. You turned me around. Im on your side now. It's not cyberpunk at all.

I know the genre, don't get upset. You don't know how much I've watched or what I've watched outside of MAL.
Jan 23, 2:59 PM

Dec 2021
mammon_mashin said:
OP said Neuromancer was published before Akira, but that's not true, Akira came 2 years before. Besides, there are a lot of cyberpunk works featuring the paranormal and ESP and not a lot of focus on technology, such as Judge Dredd and Phillip K Dick's novels (both of which predate Neuromancer).

I've edited the OP
Jan 23, 3:01 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to TheRedComment
Merve2Love said:
@TheRedComment

I know the genre, don't get upset. You don't know how much I've watched or what I've watched outside of MAL.
@TheRedComment

You're right, my dude^^ Everybody is wrong and you're right.
As I said: You turned me around. I was wrong.
Jan 23, 3:03 PM

Dec 2021
Merve2Love said:
@TheRedComment

You're right, my dude^^ Everybody is wrong and you're right.
As I said: You turned me around. I was wrong.

Why the sarcasm just be honest lol
Jan 23, 10:53 PM
Retar
Nov 2021
TheRedComment said:
Merve2Love said:
@TheRedComment

cool, you define cyberpunk in such a way that Akira doesn't fit your definition. bravo. you're so brave! wow!
Jan 25, 8:19 PM
Mar 2023
Akira is indeed a quintessential example of the cyberpunk genre, and this can be defended on several grounds:

Futuristic Dystopian Setting: Akira is set in a post-apocalyptic Neo-Tokyo, a city characterized by rampant urban decay, political turmoil, and social stratification. This setting reflects the cyberpunk theme of high-tech societies paired with low-life conditions, where technological advancements are juxtaposed with societal decay.
Advanced Technology and Cybernetics: The film features advanced technology, particularly in the realms of cybernetics and biological experimentation. The character Tetsuo's transformation and the government's military projects are central to the plot, illustrating the cyberpunk fascination with the melding of humanity and technology, and the potential horrors that such a combination can unleash.
Anti-Hero Characters and Rebellion against Authority: The protagonists of Akira are not traditional heroes; they are marginalized youths, members of a biker gang. Their rebellion against a corrupt and oppressive government encapsulates the cyberpunk ethos of anti-establishment sentiments and the struggle of individuals against overpowering systems.
Argument Against Its Cyberpunk Nature: One could argue that Akira lacks the genre's typical focus on computer technology and virtual reality, which are often central themes in cyberpunk literature and media.

Counterargument: While it's true that Akira does not heavily focus on virtual reality or computers, cyberpunk is not limited to these elements alone. The essence of cyberpunk lies in its exploration of the impact of high-tech on society, often through the lens of dystopian futures and marginalized characters. Akira embodies this spirit through its exploration of bioengineering and the societal repercussions of technological advancement, thereby fitting comfortably within the cyberpunk genre.

Conclusion: Akira rightly earns its place as a seminal work in the cyberpunk genre. Its portrayal of a high-tech, dystopian future, emphasis on cybernetics and biological experimentation, and focus on anti-heroic characters rebelling against an oppressive system are hallmarks of cyberpunk. Although it does not heavily feature certain cyberpunk staples like virtual reality, its thematic focus on the dark side of technological progress aligns perfectly with the core tenets of the genre, making it a definitive cyberpunk masterpiece.
Jan 26, 12:36 PM
Oct 2023
Thinking back to the 80s… it’s cyberpunk. Compared to modern day stuff it certainly hits more of the paranormal feel, as opposed to some futuristic dystopia.

Had the cyberpunk genre evolved ???

It’s a classic, I enjoy it, both in manga and anime
Feb 20, 9:40 PM
Apr 2022
Posting in a silly thread.
Feb 22, 5:21 AM
Mar 2023
Cyberpunk are histories that talks about lowlife characters living in a world full of "sin" full of technology and diferent types of corruption... Sounds pretty much like akira
Feb 22, 5:34 AM

Sep 2016
It's urban sci-fi with major rebel themes, so to me it's Cyberpunk.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 27, 2:31 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to bahimiron
Akira is indeed a quintessential example of the cyberpunk genre, and this can be defended on several grounds:

Futuristic Dystopian Setting: Akira is set in a post-apocalyptic Neo-Tokyo, a city characterized by rampant urban decay, political turmoil, and social stratification. This setting reflects the cyberpunk theme of high-tech societies paired with low-life conditions, where technological advancements are juxtaposed with societal decay.
Advanced Technology and Cybernetics: The film features advanced technology, particularly in the realms of cybernetics and biological experimentation. The character Tetsuo's transformation and the government's military projects are central to the plot, illustrating the cyberpunk fascination with the melding of humanity and technology, and the potential horrors that such a combination can unleash.
Anti-Hero Characters and Rebellion against Authority: The protagonists of Akira are not traditional heroes; they are marginalized youths, members of a biker gang. Their rebellion against a corrupt and oppressive government encapsulates the cyberpunk ethos of anti-establishment sentiments and the struggle of individuals against overpowering systems.
Argument Against Its Cyberpunk Nature: One could argue that Akira lacks the genre's typical focus on computer technology and virtual reality, which are often central themes in cyberpunk literature and media.

Counterargument: While it's true that Akira does not heavily focus on virtual reality or computers, cyberpunk is not limited to these elements alone. The essence of cyberpunk lies in its exploration of the impact of high-tech on society, often through the lens of dystopian futures and marginalized characters. Akira embodies this spirit through its exploration of bioengineering and the societal repercussions of technological advancement, thereby fitting comfortably within the cyberpunk genre.

Conclusion: Akira rightly earns its place as a seminal work in the cyberpunk genre. Its portrayal of a high-tech, dystopian future, emphasis on cybernetics and biological experimentation, and focus on anti-heroic characters rebelling against an oppressive system are hallmarks of cyberpunk. Although it does not heavily feature certain cyberpunk staples like virtual reality, its thematic focus on the dark side of technological progress aligns perfectly with the core tenets of the genre, making it a definitive cyberpunk masterpiece.
@bahimiron
In addressing your claim of Akira as " a quintessential example of cyberpunk":

Futuristic Dystopian Setting:
While Akira unfolds in a post-apocalyptic Neo-Tokyo, marked by societal decay and political instability, the cyberpunk genre traditionally delves deeper into narratives driven by digital dystopia—something Akira sidesteps. This genre typically explores high-tech societies on the brink of digital and social collapse, focusing on the darker aspects of technological integration into daily life.

Advanced Technology and Cybernetics:
True, Akira features significant technological themes like cybernetics and biological experimentation. However, the core of cyberpunk often lies in the realm of digital technology and artificial intelligence, interfacing directly with human consciousness, which Akira does not primarily concern itself with. The psychic and biological enhancements in Akira venture more into the territories of metaphysical and existential, rather than the cybernetic enhancements and virtual realities that define classic cyberpunk.

Anti-Hero Characters and Rebellion against Authority:
Although the protagonists in Akira—marginalized youths rebelling against a corrupt regime—fit the mold of cyberpunk’s anti-hero archetype, their struggle lacks the quintessential cyberpunk critique against techno-capitalist hegemonies. Instead, their fight is more against political corruption and military might, rather than against corporate or digital tyrannies.

Absence of Virtual Reality and Computer Technology: \
One major departure from cyberpunk norms in Akira is the minimal emphasis on virtual reality or intricate computer systems, which are staples in the genre. The absence of these elements can suggest that Akira may not completely resonate with the core themes of cyberpunk, which often involve a deep integration of virtual spaces and digital lives.

Conclusion:
While Akira incorporates elements that are adjacent to those found in cyberpunk, such as a dystopian setting and technological experimentation, its primary focus on psychic powers and bioengineering, its political rather than corporate dystopia, and its lack of virtual reality and digital landscapes, suggest that it might be more accurately classified under a broader science fiction or post-apocalyptic genre rather than strictly within the cyberpunk domain. Therefore, Akira might be seen as a crossover that incorporates, but is not defined by, cyberpunk elements. This nuanced interpretation allows us to appreciate Akira not just for the cyberpunk themes it brushes against, but for the unique narrative and thematic space it occupies.

@Achie420
Definition of cyberpunk, as I've outlined in the OP, as well as specific expectations and tropes within the genre:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk#Style_and_ethos

Apr 27, 2:35 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
It's urban sci-fi with major rebel themes, so to me it's Cyberpunk.
@Zarutaku that's the crux

if it weren't up to you, and being as stringent as possible within the genres of fiction, Akira is not definitionally cyberpunk
Apr 27, 3:06 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to TheRedComment
@Zarutaku that's the crux

if it weren't up to you, and being as stringent as possible within the genres of fiction, Akira is not definitionally cyberpunk
@TheRedComment Fair enough, but who actually has the authority to set their definition in stone?
It's a term continuously formed by different opinions, just like many others.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akira Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Friendlysoul - Apr 12, 2008

219 by 0rion14 »»
May 11, 7:37 AM

» Ending interpretation

Fukoku - Apr 13

0 by Fukoku »»
Apr 13, 11:25 AM

» Tropes created in Akira

curvedtree - Dec 22, 2023

4 by -DxP- »»
Dec 23, 2023 3:55 AM

» Am i the only one who think that akira is a bad movie? ( 1 2 )

Harley3579 - May 14, 2019

59 by peterross »»
Dec 14, 2023 9:36 PM

» New anime has been cancelled?

RobertBobert - Sep 30, 2023

5 by Vaval »»
Oct 6, 2023 11:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.