Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 16, 2:35 AM
Jul 2023
Im currently watching the series for the 4th time and while I always want to try watching it in a new order i just end up watching the 2009 rebroadcast order mostly out of laziness as im watching my 10 year anniversary collectors bluray box and i don't want to swap discs/episodes constantly. However the very first time i watched it i remember it being in a different order. That was way back in 2008 so i dont remember but it was either the Japanese dvd order or the original broadcast order which is called kyon. But there's also the chronological order called haruhi which i feel like i watched once but wasnt a fan of. Any way, moral of my rambling is do you have a favorite watch order???
Jan 16, 3:03 AM
Nov 2023
The first 2 runs for me were the Kyon order, that’s my dvd set. But a few months ago I did the Blu-ray order, the 2nd server on the Kawaiifu website. Wasn’t great for me, I think whatever you do first probably programs your mind to expect the same again.
Jan 16, 3:17 AM
Jul 2023
FutoiOtaku said:
The first 2 runs for me were the Kyon order, that’s my dvd set. But a few months ago I did the Blu-ray order, the 2nd server on the Kawaiifu website. Wasn’t great for me, I think whatever you do first probably programs your mind to expect the same again.

i think youre exactly right. i remember not being a fan of the 2nd order i watched compared to the first. i just wish i could remember what that one was. i rewatch it every summer so ill switch it up then and try a new order. thanks for your input ^_^
Jan 16, 3:25 AM
Nov 2023
Just out of interest, have you ever skipped the endless 8? I fell asleep once when I was really tired, but went back to where I remembered. Never did on purpose. But a few folk I know say they only watch the last one. I enjoy the subtle hints and variations that build up. I’m someone who always takes ages to do a job well in real life, so maybe that explains why I keep at it each time.
Jan 16, 3:30 AM
Jul 2023
FutoiOtaku said:
Just out of interest, have you ever skipped the endless 8? I fell asleep once when I was really tired, but went back to where I remembered. Never did on purpose. But a few folk I know say they only watch the last one. I enjoy the subtle hints and variations that build up. I’m someone who always takes ages to do a job well in real life, so maybe that explains why I keep at it each time.

haruhi was the second anime i ever watched and i was a middle schooler so i was confused as to if it was intentional and thus ended up kinds skipping forward trying to make heads or tails of what was going on but the other 3 times I've watched the series i always watch them. people say they're the bane of the series but I actually quite enjoy them as well. in fact i feel i enjoy them a little more the older ive gotten. im glad im not the only one who likes them
Jan 16, 6:21 AM

Mar 2013
watch by release date 😖
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jan 16, 7:58 PM
Jul 2023
astralkill00 said:
watch by release date 😖

i think thats the haruhi order. definable makes the most sense
Jan 17, 4:14 AM
Mar 2022
astralkill00 said:
watch by release date 😖

This anime is an example of one that you don’t want to watch in release date. The release date order is a jumbled mess, and doesn’t follow a structural narrative. Meanwhile the 2009 re-release which is the order you can find on Crunchyroll is more structured at its core, because it’s put in chronological order. So Haruhi Suzimiya is an anime released with the intention for fans to restructure the episodes to create a timeline order, which is something that modern anime fans often gatekeep against doing. At this rate, there’s a possibility we could get another anime like Haruhi that’s released out of order, and we’ll have a bunch of fans missing the intention to reorganize the episodes because there too busy gatekeeping the release order.
Jan 17, 5:56 AM

Mar 2013
Whatever floats your boat.

Tbh, I don't mind watching it by "released order" or the "chronological order". Usually, one doesn't have the time to sort 'em or bother with it. (I also did it with Index's)

I prefer to think that Haruhi was animated like that to keep the mysterious vibe going and I don't even know where you got the "modern anime fans forbid something like this", it definitely just ends up with "depends on your preference". Lastly, it's definitely not the fans' fault whether we get another kind of jumbled mess of an animation, aren't we? 🥲

I am one of those who got confused with the looping episode, which is why, I skipped most of it after my 1st run.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jan 17, 11:34 AM
Nov 2021
FutoiOtaku said:

I watch them straight through. I figured on the second go around that I would watch for the clues that make them each different in subtle ways.
Jan 17, 1:06 PM
Jul 2023
EP1C_G4YM3R said:
astralkill00 said:
watch by release date 😖

This anime is an example of one that you don’t want to watch in release date. The release date order is a jumbled mess, and doesn’t follow a structural narrative. Meanwhile the 2009 re-release which is the order you can find on Crunchyroll is more structured at its core, because it’s put in chronological order. So Haruhi Suzimiya is an anime released with the intention for fans to restructure the episodes to create a timeline order, which is something that modern anime fans often gatekeep against doing. At this rate, there’s a possibility we could get another anime like Haruhi that’s released out of order, and we’ll have a bunch of fans missing the intention to reorganize the episodes because there too busy gatekeeping the release order.

i remember watching it on an anime site back before streaming and it was in release date order and yeah i remember it not making much sense. thankfully my bluray boxset came with a guide that has all 4 watch orders in it
Jan 17, 1:11 PM
Mar 2022
xXGoreGrinderXx said:
EP1C_G4YM3R said:

i remember watching it on an anime site back before streaming and it was in release date order and yeah i remember it not making much sense. thankfully my bluray boxset came with a guide that has all 4 watch orders in it

All 4? Do you mind sharing?
Jan 19, 12:46 AM
Jul 2023
EP1C_G4YM3R said:
xXGoreGrinderXx said:

sorry i just saw this now. no i dont mind sharing. theres
1. season 1 and 2 rebroadcast order which is episodes 1-28
2. season 1 broadcast order kyon which is episode 25, 1, 2, 7, 3, 10, 9, 11, 28, 4, 27, 26, 5 and 6
3. season 1 chronological order haruhi which is episodes 1-7, 9-11, 25-28
4. and lastly seasons 1 and 2 japanese dvd order which is episodes 25, 1-7, 9-11, 26-28, 8, 12-24. and this is all according to funimations 10 year anniversary ultimate collections edition bluray guide
Jan 19, 11:13 AM
Mar 2022
xXGoreGrinderXx said:
EP1C_G4YM3R said:

2. season 1 broadcast order kyon which is episode 25, 1, 2, 7, 3, 10, 9, 11, 28, 4, 27, 26, 5 and 6
4. and lastly seasons 1 and 2 japanese dvd order which is episodes 25, 1-7, 9-11, 26-28, 8, 12-24. and this is all according to funimations 10 year anniversary ultimate collections edition bluray guide

So I’m assuming the full chronological order is 1-7, 9-11, 25-28, 8, 12-24. That’s interesting to know that the rebroadcast isn’t actually chronological, it felt like it was to me. I’m actually going to try this order myself at some point.

Edit: That wouldn’t make sense because episode 25 has to come after episode 24 chronologically. So now I’m wonder is the full chronological order is actually the rebroadcast in the first place, which is what I initially thought it was.
EP1C_G4YM3RJan 19, 11:23 AM
Jan 19, 1:11 PM
Jul 2023
EP1C_G4YM3R said:
xXGoreGrinderXx said:

So I’m assuming the full chronological order is 1-7, 9-11, 25-28, 8, 12-24. That’s interesting to know that the rebroadcast isn’t actually chronological, it felt like it was to me. I’m actually going to try this order myself at some point.

Edit: That wouldn’t make sense because episode 25 has to come after episode 24 chronologically. So now I’m wonder is the full chronological order is actually the rebroadcast in the first place, which is what I initially thought it was.

episode 25 is the movie they made and the episode number is 00 which is why some orders put it first. i cant remember of it was the first or 2nd time i watched it but the site had it listed first and i was very confused lol

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna-Ryu - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.