Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 8:20 AM

Jul 2017
The last of 7 shows of the now infamous Crunchyroll Originals brand, airing on a channel that you'd have to (even) pay to watch it in Japan (BS Shochiku Tokyu), and done by Tsumugi Akita Animation Lab that hasn't has much experience (despite its establishment in 2017), it's no wonder who handled the marketing, gives a flying eff about this show.

The year is Meiji Year 7 of 1874, and the Boshin War has erupted in the Aizu Domain stronghold, leaving scores of samurai dead from Tsumugi Castle. A ronin in the form of Shizuma Origasa survived that heinous battle, helping to look for his fiancée Kanomata Sumie as a rickshaw runner. But even as the war has ended for years on point, high-ranking officials like the Minister of the Right Iwakura Tomomi are getting ambushed by samurai, which doesn't sit well with the government. And from that one point, leads to another as Shizuma is falsely accused of the assassination, and together with his buddy Kamejirou, he knows the culprit behind it.

As relations between England and Japan are put strictly, Shizuma targets Takechi who's in a gambling streak held by the Douyama Clan, which Kyoushirou Shuragami finds treason of scamming gamblers, though this is small fry for him, and the assailants want entertainment from killing the remnants of the clan. And this attracts the attention of Shizuma, though Chief Superintendent Kawaji of Ohkubo Toshimichi interrupts their assassination plot as well, even though he just wants to clear his name.

Sure enough, Kawaji finds Shizuma enough to recruit him to the police force, seemingly to help them against the anti-government regime.

It's a decent start being plot throws here and there, but if you know your deal about the since then long-gone Crunchyroll Originals, it doesn't end well. Hoping this one doesn't end the bad ball on the culled brand.
KANLen09Jan 20, 12:09 AM
Jan 14, 9:41 AM

Apr 2021
I don't know anything about the "since then long-gone Crunchyroll Originals" but this seems like a pretty interesting one. Is there some kind of scene drama behind this series?
Jan 14, 9:51 AM
Jun 2023
I was curius as to why no one was talking about this but I guess it makes sense considering it's the last of a line of curses, not to mention that this season has a lot of good/hyped stuff coming out.

Is there ANY information on this title? Like episode count or something? I might give it a chance if it's 12 episodes.
Jan 14, 9:55 AM
Sep 2015
At that time not only Japan fight among themselves, foreigners are also trying to take advantage of the chaos situation.
This anime seems to be a serious historical genre, even if there's a little bit of fantasy element.
Jan 14, 11:03 AM

Nov 2011
Interesting story, love the setting. And the backgrounds...!

Jan 14, 11:26 AM

Nov 2016
Seemed pretty unremarkable at first. Kyoushirous intro sparked some interest and it became more intriguing towards the end. I guess one more episode to see if this will be a worthwhile Crunchy orginal or not can't hurt.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 14, 12:29 PM
Oct 2019
KANLen09 said:
The last of 7 shows of the now infamous Crunchyroll Originals brand, airing on a channel that you'd have to (even) pay to watch it in Japan (BS Shochiku Tokyu), and done by the studio Tsumugi Akita Animation Lab that hasn't has much experience (despite its establishment in 2017), it's no wonder who gives a flying eff about this show.

The year of 1874, Shizuma, a former warrior from the Aizu Domain, is now a humble rickshaw driver in Tokyo, but the spirit of the samurai lives on within him. He searches for his fiancée, Sumie, who vanished during the Boshin War.

It's a decent start, but if you know your deal about the since then long-gone Crunchyroll Originals, it doesn't end well.

Tbf, Tonikawa is very cool and it's a Crunchyroll original
Jan 14, 1:41 PM

Feb 2019
off-season said:
I don't know anything about the "since then long-gone Crunchyroll Originals" but this seems like a pretty interesting one. Is there some kind of scene drama behind this series?

Nah as usual he’s just exaggerating in his post. Crunchyroll have had some duds with their originals but kumo desu, Tonikawa and some other good ones as well. There’s nothing inherently bad about their stuff.
Jan 14, 1:42 PM

Feb 2019
Well after ruroni ended last season it’s good to get some more Meiji era Japanese stuff! First crunchyroll original we’ve had in a while. They can be hit or miss.

The opening battle at Aizu really set the tone for what was a brutal and action packed episode. They’re definitely not going to steer away from violence in this one. Just from the opening scene of our MC in the now Meiji era city of Tokyo, we get a nice sense of the tensions that exist between former imperial loyalists and the new government at this time.

A lot of people who were well off before the revolution and established warrior class people are just left out to dry, sewing the seeds of discontent which ultimately led to assassination attempts as we see in the episode.

I also really like that we saw some stuff with the early yakuza, if only briefly. This is when they would’ve started taking shape into the organisation we know them as today, so seeing them with the tattoos and finger cutting was neat!

Wasn’t a fan of the mystical stuff in the battle that followed though. I’d hoped this would stay a realistic period drama since Ruroni already does the fictional combat abilities stuff, sigh.

Still a solid first episode that has potential. I’m interesting in the impact foreign influence will have on this story. The relationship between England and Japan was mentioned earlier on and then the guy at the end is blonde. Let’s see how it goes
Marinate1016Jan 14, 1:56 PM
Jan 14, 4:03 PM

Mar 2014
Finally some good samurai anime, and on top of that main character is from Shogunate faction of famous Aizu domain. Story is intriguing, visuals pretty and fights scenes are entertaining and bloody. Im also not a fan of supernatural stuff. Let's just hope they won't go overboard with that.
Jan 14, 5:31 PM

Nov 2012
I usually don't watch historical anime unless there's some kind of supernatural or sci-fi element, but this episode was quite good.
Jan 14, 5:46 PM
Aug 2020
it was a good start, i like this type of anime

i will be there next week...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 14, 6:00 PM

Mar 2016
The girl Shizuma is looking for, Sumie, is part of the rebels, isn't?
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jan 14, 6:02 PM

Jun 2014
I like anime with this type of setting so I'll stick with this one. Pretty decent start so far.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 14, 11:07 PM

Jul 2008
Meiji era always interests me, I didn't realize it was a crunchy original until I saw the English credits.
Jan 14, 11:38 PM

Aug 2013
This was cliched, but nonetheless pretty good.
Jan 15, 10:54 PM

Oct 2013
so it looks fine nothing to crazy here, but it hooked me with the simple will he find his fiance or not!

I hope it doesn't take to long for that to get resolved or at least have a plot like he finds her but then she's taken by the antagonists. cause then at least we won't get a bunch of "so close" scenes like this episode where now we know his fiance was the shamisen player in the bar where the rebels were drinking and he just missed her by following them instead of checking the bar.

also no offense but if you knew your fiance played the shamisen. wouldn't you check places like that or anywhere else she could be performing!
Jan 15, 10:55 PM

Oct 2008
OMG! the brutality is surreal! and OST is also above average!
so we go back to Meiji era huh...let's see...
5/5.

Jan 16, 1:52 AM

Jan 2011
Interesting setting and nice sceneries/backgrounds! I didnt like the pacing of the first episode. Alot happened that I would have put in seperate episodes, and with quiet some characters who seemed important. But if you have in mind that this time period was a little bit confusing as well, it does somehow fit. ^^ Could be my favourite this winter.
Jan 16, 2:06 PM

Feb 2012
Will this sustain my Meiji era historical fiction needs until Lidenfilms attempt at adapting the Kyoto Arc comes out? In a coincidence, the protagonist of this one is voiced by Yuuichi Nakamura.
Shizuma doing a Domon Kasshu in how he asks for his missing fiancée.
The passenger was searching for a scapegoat, and found a suitable one in Shizuma who casually admitted he was from the Aizu domain; all the motives to oppose the new government. The good and honest rickshaw puller was tricked into purchasing the very evidence that would make him a suspect.
We got a Briton meddling with Japanese affairs maybe being double-crossed himself by a courtesan.
The Japanese Abe Lincoln himself.
Facing the ex-Samurai; Eyepatch guy and his band; fat dude, Buddhist loaded with hallucinogenic drugs and a Christian(?) tomboy archer.
Anyone interested in Japanese history or Rurouni Kenshin will remember 1874 is too early for Okubo's assassination, so I wasn't surprised that Kawaji opened the carriage and started blastin' the ex-Samurai.
Being recruited into the police may make his search easier.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 16, 5:00 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I didn't know Crunchyroll originals were still a thing, but I'm still a sucker for historical dramas as the first episode has hooked me in real good. The aftermath of the Boshin war in Japan has lead the the Meiji Restoration era which marked the end of the Shogunate rule and the samurai clans. However there are still some ronin trying to topple the new Meiji government that is still vulnerable in its 7th year. Shizuma, a survivor of the Boshin war in Aizu is looking for his fiancee as a rickshaw driver while the ronin were planing on assassinating a Meji government official who escaped with his life. I knew the gambling den that was run by the yakuza was cheating, but who were the group of guys that attacked the gambling den with eye patch guy? Shizuma managed to save the police chief who lured the ronin into another ambush and is now being recruited into the police force which will help him find his fiancee faster if she still alive.

This show was announced at the last minute before the Winter season started so I don't expect this to catch on while there are other shows out there. This show kinda reminds me of Revenger from last year, so maybe I'll put re-watching the Kenshin remake to the side to watch this one.
Jan 17, 6:38 AM

Sep 2009
So this is basically an alternate timeline where Ohkubo was never assassinated?
Jan 17, 10:16 AM

Feb 2021
AddaeAkono said:
I didn't know Crunchyroll originals were still a thing

The "Crunchyroll originals" branding is dead, not even Crunchyroll themselves are marketing this as an original, this is simply a show that was announced when that was still a thing.

If you go to Cr's website, they even removed the section which would list all their originals.
Jan 17, 11:18 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Reply to MadanielFL
AddaeAkono said:
I didn't know Crunchyroll originals were still a thing

The "Crunchyroll originals" branding is dead, not even Crunchyroll themselves are marketing this as an original, this is simply a show that was announced when that was still a thing.

If you go to Cr's website, they even removed the section which would list all their originals.
@MadanielFL
MadanielFL said:

I see, so basically CR dropped the "Crunchyroll originals" brand name, but continued to produce animes like Tonikawa, In/Spectre, etc.
Jan 17, 11:30 AM

Feb 2021
AddaeAkono said:
so basically CR dropped the "Crunchyroll originals" brand name, but continued to produce animes like Tonikawa, In/Spectre, etc.
Yes, it's funny cause Crunchyroll was already producing anime before the "originals" brand was created in 2020, they've been producing anime since 2015.

And they continue to produce shows now even without the brand.
Jan 19, 10:42 PM

Jul 2021
There's a shocking lack of interest in this on MAL, even though it's a decent first episode for what could be a pretty interesting show.

It's pretty rough in terms of looks, but I'm seeing good art direction and lots of movement. With a large cast and competing factions, there's some storytelling ambition here too.

Isn't this basically the same setting as Rurouni Kenshin? Also, Like a Dragon Isshin? I thought the subject matter alone would have people at least check out the first episode.

Was this not marketed properly or something? Are most people aware (or even care) that this was originally a Crunchyroll Original?
perseiiJan 19, 11:02 PM
Jan 19, 10:55 PM

Jul 2021
Interesting, looks like this studio is based in Akita City, Akita Prefecture, a backwater in Northern Japan.

Basically every studio is concentrated in Tokyo, so I hope these guys do well.
Feb 5, 12:55 PM

Dec 2015
A decent if totally unremarkable start for the intrigue, but a remarkably mediocre (and sometimes poor) first episode in the visual aspect.Though, the backgrounds seemed nice.
Add to the bad points the slight fantasy approach it has opted for in the action department (I was okay with the hero throwing other adults but a bit cold when the battle between clans happened).

It is nonetheless an original project, a period show and has curiously received foreign fundings (I saw US/English producers in the ending credits (shown weirdly on a black screen).

3/5
Rei_IIIFeb 5, 1:00 PM
Feb 20, 2:06 PM
Sep 2008
There is just. Too much happening.
Mar 25, 12:44 AM

Oct 2013
Awesome first episode! I love the setting. The story is set several years after the Meiji Restoration and the Boshin war. It's a period of time that's not that much present in many anime, so it's great to see every show picking it up. The intrigue seems interesting, and all the characters that have been introduced so far were intriguing. I liked the most Shuragami's bodyguards. Cool designs and abilities.
Apr 15, 1:04 AM
Jun 2022
Don't Know , Might Be Another Drop .
Apr 15, 1:08 AM
Jun 2022
Reply to Collins89
so it looks fine nothing to crazy here, but it hooked me with the simple will he find his fiance or not!

I hope it doesn't take to long for that to get resolved or at least have a plot like he finds her but then she's taken by the antagonists. cause then at least we won't get a bunch of "so close" scenes like this episode where now we know his fiance was the shamisen player in the bar where the rebels were drinking and he just missed her by following them instead of checking the bar.

also no offense but if you knew your fiance played the shamisen. wouldn't you check places like that or anywhere else she could be performing!
@Collins89 If He Was That Smart , Story Would Have Been Over In The First Episode . Found Her , Living Happily Ever After .

Apr 19, 9:37 PM

Oct 2013
RGreatDanton said:
@Collins89 If He Was That Smart , Story Would Have Been Over In The First Episode . Found Her , Living Happily Ever After .

Truth truth! but man that gimmick of oops he's barely missed her can go only so far.
But he'll I dropped it anyways so who knows if he ever found her lol
Apr 20, 1:13 AM
Jun 2022
Reply to Collins89
RGreatDanton said:

Truth truth! but man that gimmick of oops he's barely missed her can go only so far.
But he'll I dropped it anyways so who knows if he ever found her lol
@Collins89 Yeah BTW How Many U Watched Cuz In Episode 3 There Was A Even Bigger ' Blind Man ' Moment . She Talked To Him & He Still Didn't Recognised Her .
Apr 20, 4:06 PM

Oct 2013
RGreatDanton said:
@Collins89 Yeah BTW How Many U Watched Cuz In Episode 3 There Was A Even Bigger ' Blind Man ' Moment . She Talked To Him & He Still Didn't Recognised Her .

ohhhh man! naw I'm glad I missed that!
I dropped after episode one. I usually give things more time and rarely ever drop stuff but this show was just one I thought I'd try randomly and knew after EP 1 it wasn't for me.
Apr 20, 8:48 PM
Jun 2022
Reply to Collins89
RGreatDanton said:

ohhhh man! naw I'm glad I missed that!
I dropped after episode one. I usually give things more time and rarely ever drop stuff but this show was just one I thought I'd try randomly and knew after EP 1 it wasn't for me.
@Collins89 Well , Didn't Miss On Anything . The Next 2 Episodes Were The Same Drag As The First One.

Apr 20, 11:31 PM

Oct 2013
RGreatDanton said:
@Collins89 Well , Didn't Miss On Anything . The Next 2 Episodes Were The Same Drag As The First One.

yeah it just seemed all over the place with detectives, superpowers, samurai.....a missing wife!

Just nothing that screamed watch me But hey those Crunchyroll Originals have all been pretty bad with a few exceptions.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 17

22 by AJpurple »»
May 19, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 10

9 by AJpurple »»
May 19, 9:34 AM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 8 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Mar 3

10 by AJpurple »»
May 19, 8:57 AM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 7 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Feb 25

11 by AJpurple »»
May 19, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 6 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Feb 18

13 by AJpurple »»
May 19, 7:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.