Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 4, 10:35 PM

May 2019
I know it was intended to do that and give that suffocating feeling, that's why I recognize it's great. It's also why I can't say I "liked it" or even "enjoyed it". I can only say I wasn't bored by it. I won't do a review or impressions, nor explain myself further here (maybe I will later, because no anime has made me feel this way). I just want to say I'm not sure how to feel about it. People keep saying that everything is disturbing and shocking so I never believe them. This time though... it felt like watching a snuff film at times, without being one.

Objectively great, subjectively I can't handle it but understand and appreciate the message and the intention. I don't appreciate the rawness, but it's there for a reason.
Jan 5, 12:09 AM
Jul 2023
it made me feel somewhat like that the first time i watched it as well. my grandparents found the vhs at a goodwill and gave it to me not knowing it was very much not for children. at the time i had seen nothing like it and the adult themes really enthralled me. i was too young to get anything out of it but after watching it as an adult, it is, in my opinion, Kon's best work.
Jan 5, 1:13 AM
Dec 2021
I loved it! it is my favourite anime movie of all time. But I do love dark movies.
Jan 5, 1:45 AM
Mar 2021
I think satoshi kon was a genius like he used the anime medium to create such an incredible movie which shows such serious themes and yeah i get its very disturbing but i think thats what its trying to evoke on the viewer Uncomfortability its trying to put you on Mima’s place
Jan 5, 2:19 AM
Oct 2022
I believe that's intended as we're supposed to feel as uncomfortable as Mima. It's the type of anime that watches you as much as you watch it as it's about unconscious projection and reactivity using Carl Jung's persona and shadow concepts
Jan 5, 2:41 AM
Jul 2021
I watched it on a train, it was a hell of a ride lmao
Jan 5, 9:15 AM

May 2022
unpopular opinion: this thing was more like terrible than terrifying. it tried to be scary and dark but it ended being a shitpost just like serial experiment lain and evangelion
KINIRO MOSAIC FOREVER
Jan 5, 9:33 AM

May 2019
Alallp said:
This is like complaining about a horror movie for being scary.

i'm not complaining.
Jan 5, 9:36 AM

May 2019
ChrisDC said:
I believe that's intended as we're supposed to feel as uncomfortable as Mima. It's the type of anime that watches you as much as you watch it as it's about unconscious projection and reactivity using Carl Jung's persona and shadow concepts

Agreed. Didn't make the paralelisms with Jung's persona and shadow directly but I did relate it in general to his cognitive functions. Let's just say I relate to the protagonist a lot, even as a male, in the broader message of the film.
Jan 5, 9:37 AM

May 2019
juenixhejs said:
I think satoshi kon was a genius like he used the anime medium to create such an incredible movie which shows such serious themes and yeah i get its very disturbing but i think thats what its trying to evoke on the viewer Uncomfortability its trying to put you on Mima’s place

Yeah. It seems like people here didn't read properly. I said it was intended as well.
Jan 5, 9:50 AM

May 2019
Alallp said:
This is like complaining about a horror movie for being scary.

Expressing that I don't know what to feel or think about it. that I have mixed feelings and I can't properly rate it right now. And also to see if someone experienced like that.
Jan 5, 9:56 AM

May 2019
Alallp said:
@BustedBayou

In another words it's a pointless thread, got it.

If only you knew how to read, no. it's not pointless. The reply about Jung was interesting and thoughtful, around this exact topic. Also, I wanted to leave behind this post as a warning. This movie is the real deal, both in it's quality and in it's shock value.
Jan 5, 1:40 PM
Oct 2022
Reply to BustedBayou
ChrisDC said:

Agreed. Didn't make the paralelisms with Jung's persona and shadow directly but I did relate it in general to his cognitive functions. Let's just say I relate to the protagonist a lot, even as a male, in the broader message of the film.
@BustedBayou are you relating through the SI or FE functions for her? or have you observed different cognitive functions present with her character?
Jan 5, 1:53 PM

May 2019
Reply to ChrisDC
@BustedBayou are you relating through the SI or FE functions for her? or have you observed different cognitive functions present with her character?
@ChrisDC Mainly through Fe, the clash against critical Fi shadow (Mima-rin) and the lack of Ne to get out of that lifestyle. I have always been a high Fi ISFJ though, but I still get it and it reminds of all the times I haven't drawn the line in the sand propperly. It also reminds me of someone very dear to my heart that has even more trouble with people pleasing above their own wishes. Let's just say the movie caught me in the worst (or best) time as an artistic piece.
Jan 6, 10:37 AM
Sep 2019
i agree with the effect it has, but I personally love being able to immerse myself in that in media. Then I can go back to my life, and it's over. It helps put anxiety and mind games into perspective for me. It's a big reason I love thrillers and horror.
Jan 7, 11:38 AM
Jun 2013
I had no idea what was going on until the very end I guess, but it definitely was a heavy movie weighing on me...I enjoyed it, just...not in the way neurotransmitters normally release feelings of enjoyment I guess
Abandon preconceptions and cultivate knowledge to make all things possible.
You must not forget that all knowledge is based on the creative efforts of those who came before you.
Jan 12, 4:44 PM
Oct 2022
Reply to BustedBayou
@ChrisDC Mainly through Fe, the clash against critical Fi shadow (Mima-rin) and the lack of Ne to get out of that lifestyle. I have always been a high Fi ISFJ though, but I still get it and it reminds of all the times I haven't drawn the line in the sand propperly. It also reminds me of someone very dear to my heart that has even more trouble with people pleasing above their own wishes. Let's just say the movie caught me in the worst (or best) time as an artistic piece.
@BustedBayou, that is a totally fair assessment!
So we're looking at the persona and the need to harmonize with the outside moral/ethical field (FE) vs the unconscious internal pull of FI shadow leading to that identity split. Very interesting indeed!

Due to this assessment, I'm assuming, much like Mima-rin, you, too, have a hard time getting out of lifestyle/thinking habits that are different?

I believe Mima is also an ISFJ with a very developed FE function.

Totally fair
Mar 1, 10:29 PM
May 2023
Reply to D_D_DJ
unpopular opinion: this thing was more like terrible than terrifying. it tried to be scary and dark but it ended being a shitpost just like serial experiment lain and evangelion
@D_D_DJ Pretty unpopular
Pls don't make it popular šŸ˜¤

More topics from this board

» Few confusing that i don't understand HELP ME, if you didn't watched it plz go away I'm sure it be fully spoilers

MadSonic - Feb 18

21 by hi777 »»
Apr 15, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Perfect Blue Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aero - Jul 18, 2009

347 by Cixyz »»
Apr 5, 3:37 PM

» Confused

R1NN_ - Jul 4, 2023

22 by HansDevX »»
Dec 13, 2023 7:20 PM

» Recommendations like this movie with THOSE scenes

SadikTD - Apr 30, 2023

8 by arrianne311 »»
Sep 20, 2023 12:41 PM

» Just saw Perfect Blue in theaters

Phlaryx - Sep 6, 2018

11 by yagakimilover »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:38 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.