Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 4, 11:20 AM

Aug 2021
Compared to other light novel protagonists who have bland black hair and the same Kirito-esque design, I still think on some level, Tatsuya's design is one of the better ones to come out of light novel adaptations.
Jan 4, 11:28 AM

Jan 2017
Sanjay63773 said:
Compared to other light novel protagonists who have bland black hair and the same Kirito-esque design, I still think on some level, Tatsuya's design is one of the better ones to come out of light novel adaptations.

The design itself is generic, and very close to the one of Kirito.
What isn't, is the design of the clothes and the color palette for the Anime, tho.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Jan 4, 11:29 AM
Jun 2020
Alexioos95 said:
Sanjay63773 said:

The design itself is generic, and very close to the one of Kirito.
What isn't, is the design of the clothes and the color palette for the Anime, tho.

Literally exactly what I wanted to say. I like the green and white outfits. Although he does have a generic black suit (his military outfit) which makes him look exactly like all the others.
Jan 4, 3:04 PM
May 2023
I think it's the pistols that make him a bit more distinct from other LN characters. Also the general modernity of the show that embeds the magic into society makes it so, that there are many ways to understand how it works in general. And Tatsuya is on a level that reaches beyond simply viewing magic as a tool, but as a language and a programmable entity that can be used in multiple ways.
Jan 4, 3:10 PM

Dec 2022
His design by itself isn't especially unique, aside from him maintaining a more stoic disposition and expression than the majority of male main characters in similar series. What makes Tatsuya interesting is how his level-headedness and emotionlessness character begets enjoyable or otherwise enlightening interactions with the setting and characters in Mahouka.

Shaded Horizon

Jan 5, 1:48 AM
Mar 2023
Archean-Return said:
His design by itself isn't especially unique, aside from him maintaining a more stoic disposition and expression than the majority of male main characters in similar series. What makes Tatsuya interesting is how his level-headedness and emotionlessness character begets enjoyable or otherwise enlightening interactions with the setting and characters in Mahouka.

Very true. Seeing him as an entity it's normal to assume he's aloof, syandoff-ish and a frozen cold hearted person. But his interaction with those around him is lowkey pleasing. It's especially surprising with Miyuki.

On a side note idk what Miyuki is actually interested in concerning Tatsuya.. weren't they cousins? I was very confused with her behavior.
Jan 5, 3:10 AM

Oct 2021
I see nothing special about his design and pretty much just another kirito.
Jan 5, 5:44 AM
Dec 2018
EdgyLord666 said:

While his looks may not be new, I think the way they portray him, and his overall attitude, is what says him apart. He doesn't have the almost boyish charm and amusement of kirito. He's far more mature than that.
Not to say Kirito isn't! Just that, he's a teenager. He's gone through terrible things, but it's still a bit of a kid. And that's fine! That's why we like him.
But Tatsuya is different. While his looks may not be all that original, the way he's portrayed makes him stand out far nor than most of the anime guys with that same look.
Plus! The setting around him only helps in this premise. So I feel like he's a bit underappreciated simply because he has the same looks that are so common. When his design is not.

So I end this rant (lol) by saying, Tatsuya is a clear case of 'don't judge a book by its cover'.
Jan 5, 7:18 AM

Oct 2021
Reply to crazycatlady86
EdgyLord666 said:

While his looks may not be new, I think the way they portray him, and his overall attitude, is what says him apart. He doesn't have the almost boyish charm and amusement of kirito. He's far more mature than that.
Not to say Kirito isn't! Just that, he's a teenager. He's gone through terrible things, but it's still a bit of a kid. And that's fine! That's why we like him.
But Tatsuya is different. While his looks may not be all that original, the way he's portrayed makes him stand out far nor than most of the anime guys with that same look.
Plus! The setting around him only helps in this premise. So I feel like he's a bit underappreciated simply because he has the same looks that are so common. When his design is not.

So I end this rant (lol) by saying, Tatsuya is a clear case of 'don't judge a book by its cover'.
@crazycatlady86 I thought this forum is only about his design? But eh, I find nothing special about his character either.
Jan 5, 8:37 AM
Mar 2021
Sanjay63773 said:

I haven't read the LNs yet. But basing my opinion on what the story is like from the anime. Isn't he bland looking to make him unsuspecting, and able to blend in.
Jan 6, 9:14 AM
Jun 2023
no even i agree with you
Jan 6, 12:48 PM
Feb 2016
It's just you. He is generic as fuck.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

248 by Fortunekeks »»
May 15, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2014

248 by otakuweek »»
May 13, 6:42 PM

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
May 3, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.