Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sailor Moon Eternal Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 1, 10:09 AM

Jul 2023
A while back, I decided to check out the first episode of the Viz Media English dub and it caught me by surprise that the monsters of the Dark Kingdom are just called monsters. If you listen to the Japanese voice acting, these monsters are clearly called Youma. However, I have seen versions of the subtitles that call them monsters instead of Youma.

Youma is not the Japanese word for monster, and it's definitely not difficult to pronounce. Plus, just calling them monsters feels so generic, so why has the word Youma been basically retconned?
I am using the best palette swap.
Jan 1, 11:05 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Youma does translate to "monster" but there are several words that translate to "monster" in Japanese. Youma is more of a monster that is not bound by any country, as it is just a general word for "monster" from what I can gather.
Jan 4, 2:06 AM
Apr 2015
ErogakiPatches said:
Youma does translate to "monster" but there are several words that translate to "monster" in Japanese. Youma is more of a monster that is not bound by any country, as it is just a general word for "monster" from what I can gather.

yeah, vs. yokai which are specifically more japanese monsters. I personally think it's a bit cringy to just use the untranslated terms all the time in an official dub (or even sub), I get that it sounds less epic, but that's just what the word means lol. It's not a specific word that Sailor Moon came up with as a series.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 )

VARIAchan - Aug 13, 2010

74 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
May 12, 7:45 PM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 45 Discussion

VARIAchan - Aug 13, 2010

45 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
May 12, 7:10 PM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 39 Discussion

VARIAchan - Aug 13, 2010

26 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
May 11, 3:24 AM

Poll: » Spoilers for episode 34

GakutoDeathGlare - May 9

3 by Asahinchi »»
May 9, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yonatay - Dec 9, 2009

50 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
May 9, 2:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.