Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 23, 2023 2:34 PM
Jul 2021
Was trying to pinpoint why this season felt so off to me compared to the first season, even though it's an improvement over the atrocious 2nd, but now I'm thinking it might be the bloated cast. With so many characters (I can't even remember half of their names), there's no time to really introduce and get to know them, and any kind of attempt to develop them just feels hollow IMO. Take the two otherworlders in the first season for instance, their motives stayed a mystery but since we got to see them travel, level up and spend time with the shield hero's crew over the course of several episodes, the revelation of their true nature actually had some impact. I haven't felt like that with any of the new characters, and in fact many of the existing ones seem to just be stagnating. Other thoughts on the size of the cast?
Dec 23, 2023 3:08 PM
Feb 2021
Stink_Bug said:
Was trying to pinpoint why this season felt so off to me compared to the first season, even though it's an improvement over the atrocious 2nd, but now I'm thinking it might be the bloated cast. With so many characters (I can't even remember half of their names), there's no time to really introduce and get to know them, and any kind of attempt to develop them just feels hollow IMO. Take the two otherworlders in the first season for instance, their motives stayed a mystery but since we got to see them travel, level up and spend time with the shield hero's crew over the course of several episodes, the revelation of their true nature actually had some impact. I haven't felt like that with any of the new characters, and in fact many of the existing ones seem to just be stagnating. Other thoughts on the size of the cast?

The amount of new characters will slow down and in the next few seasons(if we get them) the cast is more divided with specific characters helping in specific arcs not bringing his entire village everywhere he goes and but i think it’s more the pacing of the season is way to fast these characters are much more fleshed out in the LN cause the anime skips a lot of scenes like the fight between atla and raphtalia the multiple fights between atla and her brother but hopefully they will give the next arc minimum 4-5 episodes a volume instead of 3
Dec 23, 2023 3:16 PM
Negator

Mar 2022
Doesn’t help that bitch’s manipulation of the 3 heroes made them feel even more unlikable. I understand they were manipulated and used while they were down on their luck, doesn’t make me like them still. If anything I’d say Motoyasu became even more insufferable after his revelation.
Dec 23, 2023 3:38 PM
Oct 2016
Everything was too rushed for me. Even the other heroes curse problem was dealt with too quickly. Ren unlocked two curse series, used their powers and was fine 5 minutes later. Same for Itsuki and Motoyasu. They didn't suffer any of the side effects Naofumi is still suffering from (aside from maybe Motoyasu, but we see him like 3 times just acting like an idiot). This last episode is the epitome of this. I don't know if it is the anime's fault or the source material's fault, though.
Dec 23, 2023 6:26 PM

Jul 2015
IMO despite more and more characters being introduced, only handful is still relevant and has influence on the story.
On the contrary, shows like Durarara or Every Other Gatcha Game Adaptation are an actual example of author shoving in shitton of various characters, each trying to be relevant have an and impact on the story, which backfires as a result.
Shield Hero did not made those new, barely relevant characters a nuisance. At least not yet.
PiromyslDec 24, 2023 3:24 AM

Dec 23, 2023 6:52 PM
Oct 2020
Piromysl said:
IMO despite more and more characters being introduced, only handful is still relevant and has influence on the story.
On the contrary, shows like Durarara or Every Other Gatcha Game Adaptation are an actual example of shitton of author shoving in shitton of various characters, each trying to be relevant and impact the story, which backfires as a result.
Shield Hero did not made those new, barely relevant characters a nuisance. At least not yet.

Cap they are a hindrance on run time
Dec 23, 2023 7:58 PM

Dec 2022
I also thought the cast was too big. When you have all these new characters, as well as giving larger roles to Bitch and the three Cardinal Stooges, the show is spread too thin. The characters introduced in Season 3 have to compete with the characters who are already established, and they struggle to make an impact. Speaking of established characters, there didn't seem to be much Raphtalia this season. A lot of the time, it feels like she's just kind of there and really only has presence in the fights.

MALoween 2023 Candy: ///
Dec 24, 2023 2:59 AM
Feb 2021
It's okay to have too many characters but if you can introduce them well and have an actual impact on the plot just like in many other animes like Re:zero, Fate series and HxH
Dec 24, 2023 4:16 AM
Jul 2023
It'd feel less jarring if they didn't speedrun 4 arcs per episode. Like what is actually happening anymore, ik it's ended but I'm still so confused slow tf down. Still entertained thoroughly though cause pretty colours and cool character designs (idk how I'm only now realising the author totally has a thing for demihumans)
Dec 24, 2023 4:18 AM
Jul 2023
MusashiKarlsefni said:
Doesn’t help that bitch’s manipulation of the 3 heroes made them feel even more unlikable. I understand they were manipulated and used while they were down on their luck, doesn’t make me like them still. If anything I’d say Motoyasu became even more insufferable after his revelation.

Idk now Motoyasu just makes me laugh my ass of but he's clearly completely lost it and tbh I can't say I blame him
Apr 28, 5:00 AM

Apr 2013
I kinda agree with you, though having many characters can work for a show. For example in the slime isekai there are also a lot of characters, but I feel like the story handles them quite well. So it's more about the story telling in Tate no Yuusha imo.

More topics from this board

» If this anime ended at Season 1 it would have been a satisfying ending

Remocracy - Dec 15, 2023

28 by Zedlin »»
May 16, 9:47 AM

» Okay I know she came back but Bitch is just not a good character or villian!

MasterHavik - Oct 27, 2023

28 by Gator »»
Apr 28, 5:04 AM

» About bad story

yesvirgi - Dec 26, 2023

21 by Gator »»
Apr 28, 5:02 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 3 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2023

155 by Gator »»
Apr 28, 4:52 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 3 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2023

95 by Gator »»
Apr 28, 4:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.