Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Returner's Magic Should be Special
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 23, 2023 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
Underwhelming finale...it was the final stage of the battle but I couldn't get invested into the stakes of the fight.

Azest and Desir had an awkward moment and man, this just goes to show much their relationship has changed since their first encounter. Lol, Season 2 announced.

https://twitter.com/returners_magic/status/1738582232594337935

Dec 23, 2023 7:28 AM

Jul 2017
As expected, Desir thwarts Kraiken though he already knows what's going to happen, but he certainly didn't expect his enemy to turn into a magical beast, which makes him tougher to defeat. The Outer may be infinitely strong as heck, but Desir's inverse spell took quite the time and power to cultivate to unleash a power so great, it rivals his past life.

Desir wanting to play chess with the master of the Magical Tower, he knows Zod Exarion as his mage friend from his past life. But what Desir lacks in skill, he makes it up in terms of magic, only if he won the game. The ball, which was supposed to honour Desir and his party, Azest ended up walking out of the Blue Moon party, which isn't a bad idea, as much as a Shadow World appearing in 13 days to ring in the calamity that he hoped to avoid. Regarding his true intentions, Romantica sure has an ego that she wants to beat him, though they all need to grow stronger in preparation for the day to come.

With Azest joining Desir's party, they can get going for the Shadow World, which its contents, and Desir's role coming back a second time...will continue in Season 2.

This is what I expected of a Korean manhwa/Webtoon: a rather average showing.
But I sure was NOT expecting a Season 2 announcement...

Oh well...onwards to next season's next-hyped Webtoon adaptation: Solo Leveling...
KANLen09Dec 23, 2023 11:32 AM
Dec 23, 2023 10:38 AM
Jul 2022
I am very excited for the next season
Dec 23, 2023 10:49 AM

Oct 2017
The action was okay, Desir won as expected. Azest has joined them and that Desir x Azest stuff at the end was neat, need more of Azest.

Was a decent fantasy anime, pretty average in most stuff but still enjoyable and I like Azest so looking forward to more of her.
MegamiRemDec 25, 2023 6:03 AM
Dec 23, 2023 10:59 AM

Sep 2016
Underwhelming episode.
Not because of the fight or the animation, but because they skipped over half an arc within 3 minutes.

Adjest joining Desir's party officially, Romantica's training and promotion to 3rd magic circle, Pram's swordmanship training with the knight sensei...I would have liked to see these in 3 or 4 episodes instead.
ESPECIALLY considering they actually announced S2, those things could have been reserved for that instead of being rushed like the show would not have gotten a sequel...
All that was needed for the last 4 minutes was Adjest coming to the team's training session once more and ask Desir to join the party, ending the episode on her being accepted by everyone (albeit with some reluctance from Romantica), instead of this.

That said, solid-ish series.

If I really have to add an additional complaint it would be that they overly simplified the magic system and Desir's "reverse analysis" of spells.
Like the whole explanation of Desir cheating his lower magic circle level by using his experience and knowledge of 10 years fighting along busted powerful people, to compound low tier spells on top of each other to create a pseudo high level magic, was completely skipped.
(also, they refer to him often as 'lowest level' magician but this is incorrect as he is 2nd circle so technically second lowest level, also a reminder that Romantica has been a 2nd circle as well for the whole series until the last minutes where after her additional control training (the sphere thing) Desir helps her tune her magic circuits to raise to 3rd circle (the scene with her baring her back), and never mention others' circle level, like Zod being a 6th circle aka technically the highest possible for a human)

Hopefully we see more and more adapted considering the WN is completed.
I will have to give up seeing anytime soon a complete adaptation in two seasons, but if it keeps being popular and successful who knows we may get s3, s4 and so on.
FullyChargedDec 23, 2023 11:05 AM
bruh
Dec 23, 2023 12:08 PM
Jul 2021
but who won the chess game (probably desir...) and what was desir's wish if he won?
Dec 23, 2023 12:14 PM

Mar 2021
It was a suprisingly a decent and enjoyable show. Binged the whole season on the finale day and I was pretty much hooked to the story. The characters were a bit generic, but they were funny and interesting.

My only gripe from the story is, they shouldnt have limited desir to be the only person remembering the future events. Or atleast they couldve introduced events where the other party members who were introduced, also recollect these memories.

Anyways season 2 is definitely welcome. Hope it airs pretty soon.
Dec 23, 2023 12:37 PM

Feb 2020
chess moment was awesome, must be crazy to see all your old friends back in a different time.
the song playing at the end gave me chills Oooh and accidently falling ontop of him that look in their eyes soooo good. Happy that there'll be another season, definitely watching it for more cuties and coolness.

Dec 23, 2023 2:30 PM

Jan 2013
WTF was that lol... a whole lotta nothing
Dec 23, 2023 2:52 PM

Sep 2018
Not without it's faults, but interested enough for a second season. 5/10.
Dec 23, 2023 2:59 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
unless i get some good new waifus im probably not gonna watch s2
Dec 23, 2023 4:39 PM
May 2015
The story has a good pace and so far the time travel doesn't have any plot hole lol
Dec 23, 2023 4:47 PM
Aug 2021
This Series had an entertaining way to keep me locked in, but overall I feel like constantly "this feels like a fucked up adaptation", with how underwhelming everything appeared to be, and that ending is very obviously incredibly rushed, they better do some recon for season 2 of everything they skipped over honestly.. but good for them that they're leeching this series a bit more off with a second season.
Dec 23, 2023 5:13 PM

Oct 2011
I need more episodes!!!
Dec 23, 2023 6:34 PM

Dec 2018
I always new ms blonde badass would join the crew; just for that history has changed. Imagine the outrage: a noble siding with commoners?! You go girl.
Dec 23, 2023 7:12 PM
Apr 2023
I guessed right - they really held back the content for the first 10 episodes and blasted everything with a bang for this last 2 episodes. It was really rough at times because they making things slow so it will last 12 episodes but I am satisfied how they did the last quarter of the season. The manhwa/webtoon manga is still going strong with 240+ chapters so I guess it's not a surprise that they will push through with a 2nd season (already announced).
P.S. Looks like this time, Azest will be able to express more of herself towards Desir, compared to the first time in the past.
Dec 23, 2023 7:35 PM

Nov 2016
Great episode, I just wish I know who won the chess game and what did he get.
The Future is only one idea away.

Dec 23, 2023 8:49 PM

Jul 2016
I liked it more than I thought when I started watching it.

8,5/10
Dec 23, 2023 8:52 PM

Mar 2013
Nice, this series maintained their animation quite well. It was dragging but not seriously a flop.

The ending was truly wonderful. From intro to outro. They delivered the story quite well in this episode, and we finally got Azir in their party, I can't wait for her more screen time.

Oh no she didn't... 😏
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Dec 23, 2023 9:10 PM

Apr 2013
Damn. They really skipped a ton of content at the end. I hope that Season 2 will go over it all before diving into the Shadow World. The anime adaptation was alright. Not bad, but nothing great. If you were intrigued by the story and characters, I'd HIGHLY recommend checking out and reading the Light/Web Novel. They go into so much more detail and the entire story is one heck of a ride. After watching the first episode when it aired, I went ahead and read the entire series TWICE because it was so good. I prefer the light/web novel over the manga version because it covers so many details especially with regards to Desir and his analyses/abilities/reasoning that just can't be captured in anime or manga form. I definitely recommend other fans give it a read.
Dec 23, 2023 11:00 PM

Feb 2019
it's a good thing a second season's already been announced, coz if it wasn't, i'd be disappointed since they left the finale episode as a cliffhanger lol
Dec 24, 2023 2:44 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Good final episode. The soundtrack is very good and they tried their best with the animation.
6/10
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Dec 24, 2023 4:53 AM
Jun 2023
this anime really deserves a second season, this anime got better after every season
Dec 24, 2023 7:20 AM
Nov 2019
Not interesting enough for me to watch 2nd season
Dec 24, 2023 8:16 AM
Oct 2019
episode was cool, the anime adaptation in general was good, there were some animation controversies, but that's irrelevant, I only felt uncomfortable at the end of the episode, in which they skip a lot of information from the manhwa that I found essential when I was reading , I felt really sad that they simply showed this information very quickly instead of taking extra time to talk about it, the episode was good, the anime too, it was just that ending that really upset me
Dec 24, 2023 8:42 AM
Mar 2023
Please don't add a lot of cut scenes it will make the show bad you could at least show us who win between desir and zod what was desir wish if he had won.
Dec 24, 2023 4:51 PM

Nov 2009
OH SHIT

That Azest Wall slam and then afterwards she smiles and says "I'll be in your care" HOLY... She WANTS.

Also, hmm... did Desier somehow "limit break" Romantica's wind powers? or something?

And yea... They literally just skipped pass the chess wager.. we have no idea who won...

Tho I have a feeling he lost the match on purpose so he has a reason to show Zod how to use unrefined magic stones, since right before he said Zod was one of his best friend and will be the strongest mage, meaning Desier will most likely show him how to use magic stones at anytime so Zod will remain the strongest since no other mage will be able to use the magic stone at anytime.
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Dec 24, 2023 7:37 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to Niels040
but who won the chess game (probably desir...) and what was desir's wish if he won?
@Niels040
@Zoro1100

Not a spoiler technically, it is not said (not in the immediate future at least) what Desir's wish was going to be, anyway, this was just a set up on Desir's part to reveal to Zod the system to refine those crystals (as Zod has the means to mass produce them and have a benefit for humanity vs the shadow worlds and bad guys), so it's easy to guess Desir knew he was going to lose and wanted to give Zod intel in a way that was less sus than just handing the info without any payment behind it, he knew Zod was passionate about chess (having played with him so much in his "past life") so the game was a perfect opportunity to make a bet that would result in a win win situation :D

@amlg

I would say you're spot on.

Also, about Romantica's "tuning", the scene is basically that. Not just wind, magic circuit in general. The system is explained better in the webtoon (or web novel), the anime didn't really explain much about magic circle levels and such. Which is a little bit of a shame imo.
Look it up if you're interested.
It's a nice read, if you liked the anime, the webtoon is actually way better so you'll love it :D
FullyChargedDec 24, 2023 7:42 PM
bruh
Dec 24, 2023 7:59 PM
Dec 2021
amazing anime, great that season 2 announced. Enjoyed this anime a lot.
Dec 24, 2023 9:34 PM
Mar 2012
Desir vs leader actually cool fight with budget. lol he transform into Blanka.
Zod quite reassuring & cool.
mc teaching Rasengan. Eru gets the DanMachi or ubw ritual?
Green sensei kinda cool like Makishima.
lightning glue? Azest kabedon lol.

This low budget unpopular show just got S2, guess we hit jackpot. Main trio got rather fun comraderie in both sol & battle tactics, and looking forward to it evolve with Azest & Zod. Like all the slightly unusual character designs. hopefully sequel gets better pacing & more budget.
Dec 24, 2023 10:49 PM

Jan 2008
Never got over the terrible magic special effects. On top of some pretty bland/bad fight visuals, made many fight scenes unappealing to watch. Hope the next season will improve on these things if I bother.
Dec 24, 2023 11:32 PM
Sep 2021
Nice season finale, season 2 is announced, excited to see the next arc.
Dec 25, 2023 6:13 AM

Apr 2012
i know since i am reading the manhwa but lets say i dint
he started playing chess with the tower master and they dint even show who won
so bad omegalol
Dec 25, 2023 3:57 PM
Apr 2018
Wow, they messed up big time.

Reading the Manga can be a curse sometimes.

The pacing was extremely bad. The fight beginning this ep was unnecessary long. In the Manga Desir finished him really quick. After this, they just skipped easy 10 chapter with lots of information,training and explanation and character development. I hope the second season will not beginn where the first ended and catch up with a few details before they jump into the shadow world.
Dec 25, 2023 4:29 PM
Dec 2021
Sad episode it skipped so many crucial moments from the manhwa
Dec 25, 2023 7:36 PM

Oct 2022
Talk about whiplash... the first half was basically a shitty battle shonen. That Outer dude with the dumb mask turns into a ridiculous looking green monster guy in th fight with Desir, and it goes full Battle Shounen with the action..them throwing bigger and bigger magic attacks at each other until protagonist overpowers them.
What made it so dumb was that it basically undermines the whole plot about the Outers trying to steal the Gem of Regernel or whatever. If the Outer guy is that powerful, why does he need the gem so bad? He says it's unprocessed, so now they've introduced the idea of processes and unprocessed mana crystals.... and the guy has already transformed into a beast that should be strong enough to beat anyone; the only reason he loses is because the opponent had prior knowledge.
The second half goes back to Desir, and team getting thanks for saving the school from the attackers etc. Azest is then at some cheesy dance for rich nobles and doesn't feel like mingling with them (well can't blame her, they're a bunch of assholes) so she tells Fatty that she's done with his l33t team and goes to join Desir. But then a curveball- because of how Desir impressed her in the competition and how capable he is, she's in love with him and that wasn't supposed to happen.
Well that's a more fun kind of twist for the next season. I feel like it's a stretch to give this a 7, seems kind of high, but I enjoyed this anime enough even though it's kind of uneven and the battle stuff is drawn out too much. There's surprisingly little plot but lots of action, it would be nice if they could put more interesting things in it besides just "Opponent Strong must be stronger" They have another season to figure out how
Dec 26, 2023 11:28 PM

Feb 2015
Hopefully the start of S2 will go back to those fast-forward scenes from this episode to be developed and explained more; I'd really like to see that.

Interesting enough to keep watching for me.
Dec 27, 2023 4:06 PM

Dec 2022
I will be honest and say that the last 2 episodes did make my impression of this anime better. A lot did happen with more work put in to it, I didn't like how much this anime was going in the first place. Would like to see more of it but I have doubt about it my grade for this anime is 6/10
Dec 28, 2023 1:10 PM
Dec 2020
The last episode's villain lacked character development but overall it was a good episode and series.
Dec 28, 2023 2:47 PM
Nov 2010
Reply to KANLen09
As expected, Desir thwarts Kraiken though he already knows what's going to happen, but he certainly didn't expect his enemy to turn into a magical beast, which makes him tougher to defeat. The Outer may be infinitely strong as heck, but Desir's inverse spell took quite the time and power to cultivate to unleash a power so great, it rivals his past life.

Desir wanting to play chess with the master of the Magical Tower, he knows Zod Exarion as his mage friend from his past life. But what Desir lacks in skill, he makes it up in terms of magic, only if he won the game. The ball, which was supposed to honour Desir and his party, Azest ended up walking out of the Blue Moon party, which isn't a bad idea, as much as a Shadow World appearing in 13 days to ring in the calamity that he hoped to avoid. Regarding his true intentions, Romantica sure has an ego that she wants to beat him, though they all need to grow stronger in preparation for the day to come.

With Azest joining Desir's party, they can get going for the Shadow World, which its contents, and Desir's role coming back a second time...will continue in Season 2.

This is what I expected of a Korean manhwa/Webtoon: a rather average showing.
But I sure was NOT expecting a Season 2 announcement...

Oh well...onwards to next season's next-hyped Webtoon adaptation: Solo Leveling...
With season 2 announced I wonder if they will have a flashback in the show or maybe movie/OVA or whatever that will fill the gap of the ton of story they just skipped over at the end. No explanation what Zod and Desir got into, no explanation of who was training with Pram and what important skill Pram acquired from it, no word on what Desir was doing to Romantica when she exposed her naked back to him. They just rushed through so much there with no explanation that I doubt anyone who's not read the Manwha will be able to follow.

I really hope the adaptation of Solo Leveling will not be so lacking.
Dec 29, 2023 6:49 PM
Jul 2020
bad animation, story, voice acting - everything
Dec 29, 2023 7:55 PM

Feb 2009
so he knew about this all from the start and his perfect plan to stop it was to have his party try to face him and then he would face him 1v1 after that? really? A 5 year old could tell you that is a terrible plan even if he is stronger than the other guy. We're talking about the guy who a few episodes ago swore he would do everything perfectly after the short kid jumped into a bunch of fake rats for a test, and now he willingly put them in danger against an actual threat, wtf?

There's interesting parts of the story and I will probably still watch s2, but the writing leaves much to be desired, even when up against your run of the mill isekai/power fantasy anime
Dec 31, 2023 8:09 AM
Sep 2017
Great ending I was hoping they'd ship them
Dec 31, 2023 8:28 PM
Oct 2019
good series. 7.5/10

really liked the chess match. i didn't realize until this episode that the tower guy was his old teammate/friend. i wonder what the wager was, because he obviously beat him in chess. but that whole scene was what i most enjoyed about this episode

it's cool seeing the squad come together, the past-future becoming the present (haha, what? it makes sense to me)

looking forward to season 2
Jan 1, 5:03 AM

Jan 2014
so, who's the one spying on Desir fight?

who win between Desir chess battle, and what they're talk about?

my best guess is, someone between prof brigette, zod exarion, or prof prelude probably the one spying on the battle.

and my best guess is, zod exarion win the chess wager, and desir ended up telling his origin from the future so he and zod could come up with the best counter for the next 10 years.

am I right though? I don't mind a spoiler.
Jan 9, 4:52 PM

Feb 2014
I don´t know about the manwha / original source, but this anime was in general bad. The pace is horrible and there are lots of holes. Episode 11 was specially a joke, including art and animation.

I am in a good mood today and because of Azest gonna rate this show 4/10 xD
TechOtakuJan 9, 5:07 PM
Jan 13, 7:39 PM
May 2023
I really enjoyed this anime. I do see a lot of people didn’t or many poking holes at where things don’t make sense which not everything will all the time just enjoy the anime. I did see one thing a lot mention when dissing this anime is the art style. I agree the hair is weird but nothing that one couldn’t get used to, but after seeing the manga version of the MC….I completely agree they butchered his character design, but again it’s not bad enough to ruin the anime; in fact, I only say the character design looks bad in comparison. It’s not great in the anime but it’s not bad either.
Jan 13, 10:06 PM
Jun 2020
waaaaiiiiiit. was that little montage at the end of the episode of desir training azest and romantica all that's going to be said/shown of desir raising romantica from a circle 3 to a circle 4??? I haven't read the source but have run into a few spoilers here and there with desir ascending romantica to a higher magic circle. im guessing that's what that whole shirtless scene with romantica/desir was supposed to represent. if so that's pretty fucking chincy. wasn't that supposed to be the original turning point where romantica actually stars to trust desir??? anyway. seems like a pretty big deal to haphazardly show with zero explanation montage style. oh well. I'm sad it's over for now, it steadily became something I looked forward to more and more each week. towards the end I even started to prioritize watching this over frieren and Apothecary each week.
Jan 20, 12:56 AM
Feb 2018
Guys I wanna know how is the animation of
"A Returner's Magic Should Be Special" it looks pretty average to me by trailer, is there any good animation in it?
Jan 20, 8:05 AM
Jan 2023
I quite enjoyed this show, it definitely has issues, but I'm still happy I watched it.

The ending was pretty decent, I'm still surprised that with the pacing we actually got to this point in just 12 episodes, they really sped things up with that montage it seems. Azest finally joined Desir's party too.

With the announcement of the second season, it seems we're gonna get some pretty awesome battles against the main threat that caused the mess that was being sent back in time. I look forward to it.

Overall, I give this show a 7/10, defo not the best I've ever seen, but it was still enjoyable, and I have a feeling I'm gonna remember this for quite a while.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2023

65 by LionOfParadise »»
May 12, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2023

30 by Refridgerater »»
Apr 15, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2023

25 by Refridgerater »»
Apr 15, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2023

28 by Refridgerater »»
Apr 15, 6:56 AM

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2023

39 by Refridgerater »»
Apr 15, 5:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.