Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 19, 2023 2:42 PM

Aug 2017
I am interested in watching this, but I have a couple of concerns:

1. I already know everything that happens. Yes, everything.

I already read some of the Sadamoto manga adaptation several years ago (which I'm aware is odd, like reading the novelization of a famous movie years before seeing the movie). Even before that, I already knew pretty much everything there is to know about the story and characters thanks to the internet. Will certain moments still hit as hard if I see them coming? Then again, I knew pretty much everything about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure before watching it thanks to memes and I was still affected by the more surprising moments.

2. Did I wait too long to start watching it?

To elaborate, I first heard of Neon Genesis Evangelion when I was around 12, and I read the manga adaptation when I was 15. I'm now 21, so I'm wondering if I may now be too old to relate to the main characters. Then again, perhaps the adult characters like Misato and Ryouji are there for the older viewers to relate to.
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Dec 19, 2023 3:05 PM
Feb 2021
I’d say it’s still worth the watch.

I know the anime and the manga have their differences, so you could watch it to see those differences and see which one you like more. You could also have another experience like you did with JoJo, where the show still hits despite knowing what happens.

As for if it’s too late to watch it, I don’t think it is. Like you said, you could relate to the adult character more this time around, but I think the struggles that all the characters go through can be empathized with even when you’re older.

Plus, if you end up enjoying it, you can watch the Rebuild movies after, if you haven’t already.
Dec 19, 2023 3:29 PM
Jan 2021
It’s worth it. I watched it when I was 21. And I truly don’t think the characters are meant to be related to at all. They are all exaggerated personalities. I would be concerned if anybody truly related to one of the characters.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Dec 19, 2023 3:44 PM

Dec 2020
Eva will never not be worth the watch. IMO it doesn’t really matter if you know a lot about the series. It’s one of those shows that people enjoy more for the overall feeling it gave them or the message rather than good writing and characters.
Dec 19, 2023 4:39 PM
Sep 2021
official_brown said:
It’s worth it. I watched it when I was 21. And I truly don’t think the characters are meant to be related to at all. They are all exaggerated personalities. I would be concerned if anybody truly related to one of the characters.

they're exaggerated personalities with relatable problems. they are meant to be relatable.
Dec 19, 2023 4:59 PM
Ninja Consultant

Mar 2022
I first watched it in...2020 I think? Maybe even 2021? (I'm 23, FYI) Like you by then I pretty much knew everything there was to know, because let's be honest: if you're into anime, and particularly mecha, Evangelion is hard to avoid. It's got such massive stature in anime culture after all, and even internet culture in general.

So was it still worth watching? Absolutely! I feel like a lot of things in Evangelion stay incredibly impactful even if you know what's coming. In part that's because the visuals are so unique, often so uncanny, bordering on horror, and actually seeing it is so different from reading about it, or even watching stills. In part it's also context: Evangelion is, at its core, really about the emotions of the characters. We see this in the fact that the series prioritizes relating the experiences of the characters to us over telling a coherent logical narrative. This is why, later on in the series, it can feel like a jumbled mess that can occasionally be difficult to follow. But this is of course by design, and it does a great job at sweeping you up into the story, letting you experience the confusion, horror and trauma to a degree that not many anime (or TV shows or movies in general) manage to accomplish. If anything I feel like the spoilers in a sense helped me enjoy it more: as the series progresses and the storytelling becomes more disjointed, the narrative can become a bit tough to follow for people going in blind.

I'm glad I watched Evangelion. It's not an anime I would rank among my personal favorites, but that is purely a taste thing, not a quality thing. This anime is legendary for a good reason: it is an exceptional bit of storytelling, the action scenes are often incredible, the soundtrack is glorious, and the animation still looks great in 2023. If you like mecha or 90s anime even a little bit you owe it to yourself to watch it at least once.
JaceyFoxDec 19, 2023 5:03 PM
Beep boop
Dec 19, 2023 5:20 PM
Feb 2021
The thing about eva is that it is art. True art means that you understand the status of the times you are living in and are able to show it in a beautiful way. Eva is just that, it brilliantly captures the problems individual lives in Japan were struggling with back then and the thing is, most of these are still contemporary. Its worth the watch and the plot doesn't matter.
Dec 19, 2023 5:46 PM
Nov 2015
Look at how much effort you put into this. Just watch it. You could have been 10 episodes in by now
Dec 20, 2023 12:26 AM
Jul 2021
IAmVento said:
Look at how much effort you put into this. Just watch it. You could have been 10 episodes in by now

hahahaha 🤣👍
Dec 20, 2023 1:07 AM
Nov 2023
ryan77999 said:

I already read some of the Sadamoto manga adaptation several years ago (which I'm aware is odd, like reading the novelization of a famous movie years before seeing the movie). Even before that, I already knew pretty much everything there is to know about the story and characters thanks to the internet. Will certain moments still hit as hard if I see them coming? Then again, I knew pretty much everything about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure before watching it thanks to memes and I was still affected by the more surprising moments.

To elaborate, I first heard of Neon Genesis Evangelion when I was around 12, and I read the manga adaptation when I was 15. I'm now 21, so I'm wondering if I may now be too old to relate to the main characters. Then again, perhaps the adult characters like Misato and Ryouji are there for the older viewers to relate to.

Its never too late. You can see all the memes. You can read all the manga. You can read all the light novels.
You can play the games. You can watch the rebuilds.
Nothing will give the same experience as the original series.
Also DONT WATCH THE NETFLIX VERSION
Pick up the Blu-Ray and you'll be set 👍
Dec 20, 2023 4:52 AM
Dec 2015
Doesn't matter if you know what happens. Eva's a series that's meant to be felt and the characters are meant to be understood. It's definitely an experience worth going through.
Dec 20, 2023 9:05 AM
Apr 2020
Reply to LilDiab3tic
ryan77999 said:

Its never too late. You can see all the memes. You can read all the manga. You can read all the light novels.
@LilDiab3tic why not the Netflix version?it has the director’s cut episodes
Dec 20, 2023 12:10 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to LilDiab3tic
ryan77999 said:

@LilDiab3tic

yeah I T-worded it cause I know about the Netflix version having a way-too-literal dub and subtitles, plus they changed the music
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Dec 20, 2023 12:42 PM
Nov 2023
ryan77999 said:
@LilDiab3tic

yeah I T-worded it cause I know about the Netflix version having a way-too-literal dub and subtitles, plus they changed the music

Indeed, also going on with what you mentioned about possibly not relating to the characters, you are right in saying that the older ones will definitely have more to offer now compared to if you watched it 5-6 years ago, however in saying that, Shinji, Asuka and Rei still all have personality traits that will strike a chord no matter what
Dec 21, 2023 2:34 PM
Sep 2019
Tbh I think it's better appreciated at this age. I was in my 20s when I first watched it and I loved it, and I have friends who love it now but hated it when they watched as teenagers. Despite the ages of the characters, it takes a level of maturity to appreciate their psychological struggles and not just dismiss them as annoying for how those struggle cause them to act.

And regarding knowing everything, yeah I think you'll still get a lot out of out. So much of why the anime had such an effect on me has to do with the visual composition, editing, sound design, and score. Even if you know everything (and from what I understand the manga isn't exactly the same btw), you haven't gotten the full experience.
Dec 26, 2023 10:48 AM
May 2015
I watched Evangelion at 3 different stages of my life, pre-teens, late teens and early 20s. Each time I better understood the show and resonated through different characters like shinji, rei and asuka. I think it's worth it and you should definitely strap in for a ride.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by BitBitt »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

343 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

195 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

188 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
May 8, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

152 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.