Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 4, 2023 8:30 AM
Oct 2020
I don’t think it is. Of all the things to allow on this database, this is what’s okay? Pretty sure this is made by Americans for Americans.

Side note: I think this looks absolutely horrendous and is nothing like how Gundam should be.
Dec 4, 2023 9:03 AM

Apr 2016
Will you people stop crying about that cartoon already. Go make a comment under a video of your favorite anime youtuber or something, gee.
Dec 4, 2023 11:13 AM

May 2009
Scott pozzshit isn't anime, deal with it
Dec 4, 2023 11:13 AM

May 2021
The production company behind it and animation studio making it are Japanese, and given how Netflix releases things it'll most likely have a Japanese language dub simultaneous to the English one. Also, with that taken into consideration and the fact that the show's director is actually German, it's somewhat disingenuous to say the show is made "by Americans"

EmmyMoomin said:
Side note: I think this looks absolutely horrendous and is nothing like how Gundam should be.

Gonna have to take a second to disagree on both counts. Visually speaking, it looks like a video game cutscene/cinematic, but, like, cutscenes and cinematics on this level tend to look pretty good and this is honestly no exception. There haven't been many shows animated like that before, but I honestly think it'd be unfair to dismiss it purely on that basis.

In regards to being nothing like "how Gundam should be", that's frankly just nonsensical. It's a war story set in the UC, caked in the gritty, boots-on-the-ground feel typical of OYW side stories like 08th MS Team or Thunderbolt, and even the fact that it's seemingly focused on Zeon's side isn't that new or inherently different from what's been tried before when The Origin OVAs or, to a lesser extent, the aforementioned Thunderbolt exist. There's been far, far more bizarre and non-"Gundam-like" premises that have still been able to deliver on the themes which make Gundam what it is (see also: Mobile Fighter G Gundam), so I honestly don't see what makes this so different
Barely catching my breath!
Lay my eyes on the crest!
Gonna square up to all of the heat that is left!
So I carry the torch! To Inferno! Inferno!
Dec 4, 2023 2:40 PM
Oct 2020
bastek66 said:
Scott pozzshit isn't anime, deal with it

This is a thread about gundam…
Dec 4, 2023 2:43 PM
Oct 2020
Infamous_Empire said:
The production company behind it and animation studio making it are Japanese, and given how Netflix releases things it'll most likely have a Japanese language dub simultaneous to the English one. Also, with that taken into consideration and the fact that the show's director is actually German, it's somewhat disingenuous to say the show is made "by Americans"

EmmyMoomin said:

Gonna have to take a second to disagree on both counts. Visually speaking, it looks like a video game cutscene/cinematic, but, like, cutscenes and cinematics on this level tend to look pretty good and this is honestly no exception. There haven't been many shows animated like that before, but I honestly think it'd be unfair to dismiss it purely on that basis.

In regards to being nothing like "how Gundam should be", that's frankly just nonsensical. It's a war story set in the UC, caked in the gritty, boots-on-the-ground feel typical of OYW side stories like 08th MS Team or Thunderbolt, and even the fact that it's seemingly focused on Zeon's side isn't that new or inherently different from what's been tried before when The Origin OVAs or, to a lesser extent, the aforementioned Thunderbolt exist. There's been far, far more bizarre and non-"Gundam-like" premises that have still been able to deliver on the themes which make Gundam what it is (see also: Mobile Fighter G Gundam), so I honestly don't see what makes this so different

The thing is, I’m pretty big on UC gundam. In fact, my only non-UC Gundam series has been g-witch. This just looks completely soulless. Americans just don’t get Gundam at all. This is like a Gundam series for people who’ve only heard about Gundam but haven’t watched it. And from people who have watched all of the 1 year war stuff, they tell me it’s super unoriginal.
Dec 4, 2023 3:08 PM

May 2021
Reply to EmmyMoomin
Infamous_Empire said:

EmmyMoomin said:

The thing is, I’m pretty big on UC gundam. In fact, my only non-UC Gundam series has been g-witch. This just looks completely soulless. Americans just don’t get Gundam at all. This is like a Gundam series for people who’ve only heard about Gundam but haven’t watched it. And from people who have watched all of the 1 year war stuff, they tell me it’s super unoriginal.
EmmyMoomin said:
The thing is, I’m pretty big on UC gundam. In fact, my only non-UC Gundam series has been g-witch.

And even within that range of knowledge, the types of themes and stories told varies wildly. The grand worldwide epics of Zeta and ZZ, the small scale intimacy of War in the Pocket, the grizzled and grounded Vietnam-esque conflict of 08th MS Team, the energetic madness of Thunderbolt, the list goes on just in the UC alone. And G-Witch is massively different from established stuff given its school setting, emphasis on corporate warfare, and different approach to Transnumanist themes. Fundamentally, there’s no one right way to do Gundam and no Gundam installment is inherently less valid for having a different approach to the franchise’s existing ideas.

EmmyMoomin said:
This just looks completely soulless. Americans just don’t get Gundam at all. This is like a Gundam series for people who’ve only heard about Gundam but haven’t watched it. And from people who have watched all of the 1 year war stuff, they tell me it’s super unoriginal.

Firstly, you’re just straight up contradicting yourself here, claiming the series is unlike how Gundam should be while also saying it isn’t unique compared to other One Year War stuff.

Secondly, you’re not really saying anything substantial here. What about it makes it soulless? What about it seems like it doesn’t get Gundam? How can you even tell that from a few trailers which reveal almost nothing about the show’s plot or themes? You’re saying nothing but vague platitudes without actually explaining or backing up any of your assertions.

Also gonna side eye you for the “Americans don’t get Gundam” remark, textbook elitist behavior
Dec 5, 2023 3:50 PM
Oct 2020
Infamous_Empire said:
EmmyMoomin said:
The thing is, I’m pretty big on UC gundam. In fact, my only non-UC Gundam series has been g-witch.

And even within that range of knowledge, the types of themes and stories told varies wildly. The grand worldwide epics of Zeta and ZZ, the small scale intimacy of War in the Pocket, the grizzled and grounded Vietnam-esque conflict of 08th MS Team, the energetic madness of Thunderbolt, the list goes on just in the UC alone. And G-Witch is massively different from established stuff given its school setting, emphasis on corporate warfare, and different approach to Transnumanist themes. Fundamentally, there’s no one right way to do Gundam and no Gundam installment is inherently less valid for having a different approach to the franchise’s existing ideas.

EmmyMoomin said:
This just looks completely soulless. Americans just don’t get Gundam at all. This is like a Gundam series for people who’ve only heard about Gundam but haven’t watched it. And from people who have watched all of the 1 year war stuff, they tell me it’s super unoriginal.

Firstly, you’re just straight up contradicting yourself here, claiming the series is unlike how Gundam should be while also saying it isn’t unique compared to other One Year War stuff.

Secondly, you’re not really saying anything substantial here. What about it makes it soulless? What about it seems like it doesn’t get Gundam? How can you even tell that from a few trailers which reveal almost nothing about the show’s plot or themes? You’re saying nothing but vague platitudes without actually explaining or backing up any of your assertions.

Also gonna side eye you for the “Americans don’t get Gundam” remark, textbook elitist behavior

American colourless grit is the last thing any gundam series should have. That’s why it’s soulless. There’s no contradiction here. This doesn’t need to exist
Dec 5, 2023 4:03 PM

May 2021
Reply to EmmyMoomin
Infamous_Empire said:
EmmyMoomin said:

EmmyMoomin said:

American colourless grit is the last thing any gundam series should have. That’s why it’s soulless. There’s no contradiction here. This doesn’t need to exist
EmmyMoomin said:
American colourless grit is the last thing any gundam series should have.

"American colorless grit", my dude, that's just another variety of Military Fiction aesthetics, just one which isn't as present in mainstream anime. Note that I didn't say it isn't present at all, since there's quite a few other anime out there which play to a similar theme, see also Armored Trooper VOTOMS or The Sky Crawlers (AKA one of the greatest anime films ever made). Hell, again, Gundam Thunderbolt is a show which plays to a similar aesthetic, just with more jazzy musical madness. Move outside the realm of anime specifically and there's even more major pieces of Japanese pop culture which play to the aesthetic like Armored Core.

Additionally, trying to judge a work's substance based on its aesthetic is, again, fundamentally just shallow. Military Sci-Fi on both sides of the Pacific with this aesthetic have been telling stories with the same themes as Gundam for ages, so what makes this so fundamentally unconscionable for inclusion in Gundam's pantheon? And again, works with aesthetics and themes far more removed from the basics of Gundam than this have still managed to fit into Gundam, I hate to beat a dead horse, but GO WATCH G GUNDAM!
Dec 5, 2023 4:05 PM
Oct 2020
Infamous_Empire said:
EmmyMoomin said:

"American colorless grit", my dude, that's just another variety of Military Fiction aesthetics, just one which isn't as present in mainstream anime. Note that I didn't say it isn't present at all, since there's quite a few other anime out there which play to a similar theme, see also Armored Trooper VOTOMS or The Sky Crawlers (AKA one of the greatest anime films ever made). Hell, again, Gundam Thunderbolt is a show which plays to a similar aesthetic, just with more jazzy musical madness. Move outside the realm of anime specifically and there's even more major pieces of Japanese pop culture which play to the aesthetic like Armored Core.

Additionally, trying to judge a work's substance based on its aesthetic is, again, fundamentally just shallow. Military Sci-Fi on both sides of the Pacific with this aesthetic have been telling stories with the same themes as Gundam for ages, so what makes this so fundamentally unconscionable for inclusion in Gundam's pantheon? And again, works with aesthetics and themes far more removed from the basics of Gundam than this have still managed to fit into Gundam, I hate to beat a dead horse, but GO WATCH G GUNDAM!

It seems to me that you don’t actually care about good gundam content. We’re at an impasse.
Dec 5, 2023 4:13 PM

May 2021
Reply to EmmyMoomin
Infamous_Empire said:
EmmyMoomin said:

It seems to me that you don’t actually care about good gundam content. We’re at an impasse.
EmmyMoomin said:
It seems to me that you don’t actually care about good gundam content

My dude, the fact that I have a different taste in media doesn't mean I don't care about good gundam content, it just means that the specific kind of "American colorless grit", as you call it, that this series seems to represent simply isn't for you. There's really nothing wrong with not liking this series' aesthetic and what it brings to the table, it's just that it's plain wrong to argue that it doesn't belong in Gundam and presumptuous to judge a show's actual quality based on the vibes of a trailer
Infamous_EmpireDec 5, 2023 4:16 PM
Mar 23, 5:52 AM

Nov 2015
Yes it’s anime made with Unreal Engine 5 at Safe House inc

HACKs! 🤢🤮

More topics from this board

» New trailer

Old_School_Akira - Mar 23

3 by zero-r »»
Mar 25, 8:33 AM

» Coming to Netflix

RealNath - Dec 3, 2023

2 by Zane_0 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:44 PM

» New female protagonist

RobertBobert - Jul 5, 2023

43 by Z6890 »»
Sep 1, 2023 9:23 PM

» Fan made?

searingdark - Jul 14, 2023

1 by Akuma_Blade »»
Jul 14, 2023 11:22 PM

» HYPE!

Xijimony - Jul 5, 2023

15 by giffica »»
Jul 8, 2023 8:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.