Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 30, 2023 12:28 PM

Jan 2017
**I looked through the first eight pages of topics (going back to 2010) and didn't see this, so forgive me if it's a duplicate.

Seeing as this is a group for older anime fans, I thought it might be fun to list/discuss/recommend anime where the main characters (if not all, or most of the characters) are adults. There are tons of anime that have high school age characters, but there are also lots with adults as well.
For this topic, I'm defining 'adult' as anyone older than high school age.

Here's a few anime with a largely adult cast that I like:

Cowboy Bebop
Probably don't need to say too much about this. Nearly everyone has heard of it/seen it. It's very highly regarded (it often shows up on 'best anime of all time' lists) and nearly all the cast, both major and minor characters (aside from Radical Edward) are adults.

Baccano!
Mayhem galore in this non-linear, time skipping anime. Ultra violent, lots of fun, and everyone is an adult

Appare-Ranman!
A criminally overlooked anime that fell victim to production being paused during the pandemic shutdowns. It's really fun, lots of character development. and a really great time overall. The main character is one of the youngest (around age 19-20), and there's a kid around age 10-12, but everyone else is an adult.

Shirobako
Comedic workplace anime about an anime studio and everything involved with making anime. Lots of in-jokes, and an all-adult cast.

The Eccentric Family
On my top-five all time favorite anime list. A family of shape-shifting tanuki in Kyoto adapting to life after the unexpected death of their father. Really odd and delightful, kind of talky at times and with more magical realism than you'll know what to do with! The main character (the second youngest of four brothers) is a young adult, probably around 20-21 (when in human form). The majority of the rest of the cast is adult.

Pet
Dark, disturbing psychological anime about people who enter other people's minds and mess with their memories for various reasons. All adult cast.

Inuyashiki
Disturbing sci-fi series. The main character is in his upper 50's. There are some high school kids (the second main character), but it has a dark, adult feel overall.

オタク? 私はそのことが私がかわいいと思う!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 30, 2023 4:09 PM

Apr 2008
I guess by some technicality, Honey & Clover is a good cast of College adults. (With a slightly questionable younger looking female college student.) Yet delves into good mature topics. (Discuss Semantics?)

Others that I like to give mention are the following:

- Nodame Cantabille
- Golden Time
- Barakamon
- Ya Boy Kongming
- Maison Ikkokku
- Trigun
- Mushishi
Dec 1, 2023 12:10 AM

Jun 2019
Good topic. The older I get the more I find myself seeking out shows with adult casts. Luckily mal introduced an 'adult cast' tag making them easier to uncover. Off the top of my head there's also Gintama (excluding Shinpachi and Kagura almost everyone is an adult), City Hunter, Dirty Pair, Genshiken, Working and Black Lagoon.
Dec 1, 2023 5:22 AM

Nov 2017
Area 88
Bartender
Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma
Gallery Fake
Golden Boy
Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor
Hidamari no Ki
Hyouge Mono
Isekai Ojisan
Lupin III
Master Keaton
Odd Taxi
Ookami to Koushinryou
Psycho-Pass
Samurai Champloo
Saraiya Goyou
Space☆Dandy
Touhai Densetsu Akagi: Yami ni Maiorita Tensai
Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings
Apr 13, 12:46 PM

Jan 2017
Bartender: Glass of God is a new anime with an all adult cast. Two episodes have aired so far, and it's pretty good. A low-key yet somewhat ridiculous slice of life/workplace drama.
オタク? 私はそのことが私がかわいいと思う!
Apr 14, 2:05 PM

Nov 2007
Something besides Aggretsuko?

I like those live-action J-dramas and K-dramas. Some of those might have been based on a manga/anime.

If you want something old that's like mid-life crisis, there's Legend of Black Heaven (Kacho Oji)

20th Century Boys has mostly adults as the protagonists although they do flashback to when they were kids, and there's one section where the teenage daughter stars in a story arc. That's a manga but they have a live-action for that too.

AngusApr 14, 2:09 PM
Apr 25, 7:50 PM
Oct 2022
Since they haven't been mentioned yet, I'd like to recommend Welcome to the NHK and Gangsta.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002)

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

23 by 23feanor »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2878 by jdvz »»
Yesterday, 2:25 PM

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

51 by whiteflame55 »»
Apr 28, 5:34 AM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

833 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:35 PM

Sticky: » Interest Thread for a Group Watch ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

23feanor - Oct 26, 2020

290 by OrlahEhontas »»
Apr 24, 4:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.