Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 23, 2023 12:55 PM

Mar 2013
This is definitely a lovely episode, with all seven assembled in one place! A fan service perhaps? A very acceptable one.
This is actually a good one as they also made it with dialogues concerning their thought process and thoughts for Cid's well being, and their target will always be him... lmao

Note: if you really don't like an over-the-top Ecchi to borderline-H, and as long as you can bear your teeth it just to read the characters' dialogues concerning Cid/Shadow. This can be a worthwhile episode. (but it's probably not for all)

This is a fun episode nonetheless.
*runs away in panic*

Btw, thanks for adding the Vampire Queen.
Forgot her name though.
CrazyButNot4UNov 23, 2023 1:54 PM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Nov 23, 2023 1:59 PM
May 2020
man this show is retarded in the best way ever
Nov 23, 2023 3:41 PM

Aug 2022
All I have to say about this episode is that it was the ultimate fanservice. They even skipped the OP to make more time for swimsuits.
Nov 23, 2023 4:13 PM
May 2020
instead of a beach episode we got ourselves a hot spring episode, a dub is a dub
Nov 23, 2023 10:01 PM
Oct 2023
I love Eminence in Shadow don't get me wrong.

But this had absolutely nothing to do with the manga (from my memory). I get that the rest of the season will likely be filler as to give the novel more time to get ahead but at the very least I preferred Shadow Garden being more serious. In this ep it was just potato and skeletal getting bullied. I'm not gonna drop it obv. It could just be that I'm tired but this was def my least favourite episode of the entire show
Nov 23, 2023 10:22 PM
Apr 2023
filler episode, full of fanservice
Nov 24, 2023 1:45 AM
Dec 2020
Reply to Wat3rCrushertime
@Rnonsenseguy on a "mission" aka if you remember last episode he said he would try to avoid the SG girls because he thinks theyr made at him
@Wat3rCrushertime still its unnacaptable I WANNA SEE CID
Nov 24, 2023 3:46 AM

Jun 2015
after this episode, why this season only has 12 ep? cmon
Nov 24, 2023 4:21 AM
May 2022
Reply to Rnonsenseguy
@Wat3rCrushertime still its unnacaptable I WANNA SEE CID
@Rnonsenseguy your gonna see him in the next arc which should have some "interesting developments" the season is probably gonna end in a cliffhanger
Nov 24, 2023 7:19 AM
Apr 2023
A beach/pool episode with the main 7 Shades/Shadows.
It's generic but satisfying. Nice cameos by the other girls as well.
Nov 24, 2023 7:27 AM
Feb 2020
GensoTV said:
I know I'm in the minority, but that was yet another new low. Ecchi, well, once again just a slide show, absolutely no animations except mouth movements. Plot? Never mind, see it as an OVA episode. I really don't get you guys rate this anime higher than 7, really, I just don't get it.

What I noticed again:

Cid's friends are insufferable, and I've seen a lot of bad romcoms with insufferable friends of the protagonist. These are definitely top tier of the most annoying joy. Potato & Skeletal, those names...

I still don't know all seven shadows. Sure, the names, but we're on episode 28 and most of them are just supporting characters, or rather extras, nothing more.

Please don't quote me, I don't want to read your fanboying for this anime. Take off fan goggles, please. You like it... sorry you love it without a good reason? Great! I'm happy for you! Enjoy it!

Well I'm going to quote you. First off this show is a dumb power fantasy and it's no more than a seven for me but I could see arguments for a 5, a 6, or 8. second yes you are right his friends are insufferable. But Shadow purposely picked them to be his friends because the were insufferable.

I personally thought the episode was hot garbage, not because of the "Fan Service" but because it made the 7 shadows look really stupid, falling for the 2 idiots date plan. Also they clearly didn't need to use the tickets anyway since they own the place.
Nov 24, 2023 7:30 AM
Feb 2020
episode 8 sucked on multiple levels. This show is dumb in General which is what I signed up for when I watched it but this was just bad on another level. I'm a fan of fan service episodes I love the beach episodes. But this episode was bad.
Nov 24, 2023 7:33 AM
Oct 2023
This episode is not important at all
Nov 24, 2023 2:00 PM

Oct 2020
Pretty good for a filler episode
Nov 24, 2023 5:13 PM
Nov 2013
Reply to Okio_
Worst episode so far including s1
@Okio_ Completely agree, total waste of effort on the studios part.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Twerkki&sclick=1]
Nov 24, 2023 8:55 PM

Jan 2013
This anime isn't real haha, all of the girls made and believed their own story about how it was Shadow that sent them there for a reason, all of this without Shadow even appearing for a single second in this episode, this is truly next level lmao

Another fantastic episode, Cid keeps on delivering without being present!
Also like the fact that they showed 'all' Shadow Garden members just chilling and having fun, they indeed deserve that after this crazy money glitch grind.

Oh, almost forgot!
Gotta love these new outfits, a truly meme dream squad.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Nov 24, 2023 10:55 PM
Dec 2020
Reply to Wat3rCrushertime
@Rnonsenseguy your gonna see him in the next arc which should have some "interesting developments" the season is probably gonna end in a cliffhanger
@Wat3rCrushertime NOOOOOOO
Nov 25, 2023 5:52 AM

Jul 2022
wow.... this was ridiculously bad and if it doesn´t pick itself up I am definitely not watching another season. come on, you can do better.
- yes I am average but how is that an excuse? -

Nov 25, 2023 6:26 AM

May 2015
Obligatory onsen episode! NICE!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 25, 2023 7:47 AM

Aug 2022
Great and hilarious episode even though Cid didn't appear in it at all.
Nov 25, 2023 9:53 PM
Nov 2023
"Of course, what a convoluted and genius way of telling us we need to have a hot spring episode!" I'm still rolling laughing LMAO
Nov 25, 2023 11:26 PM
Sep 2020
fan service done right.
幸福にはそれ自身の目的があります
Nov 26, 2023 2:11 AM
Jun 2014
Ignoring the episode being pointless filler, or how other stuff has felt rushed yet they had time for this, the worst part about it all is Po and Skel getting a noticeable amount of screentime.

They are possibly the worst "dumb friend" characters I've ever seen in an anime, all the lamest character traits dialed up to 11 making them insufferable. I simply cannot comprehend why they still continue to have any part in the series whatsoever, Cid no longer needs them as cover as the school isn't relevant any more, and the plot has long gone beyond the point where they can offer any meaningful way to introduce to a new location (especially given how many "main" characters still have very little screentime).
Nov 26, 2023 2:41 AM
Mar 2012
Bleh, fan service episode. This is so outdated. :( Also, what's up w/ the hot spring spa looking like it was built in the 21st century? Total immersion breaker. This show just dropped on my rating by at least 1 point.
Nov 26, 2023 9:17 AM
Nov 2023

Sure, here is a more critical review of The Eminence in Shadow season 2:

The Eminence in Shadow season 2 continues the series' blend of isekai tropes, over-the-top humor, and self-aware storytelling. While the season maintains the same level of entertainment value as its predecessor, it also falls into some of the same pitfalls and introduces new ones.

Strengths:

Humor: The series' signature self-aware humor remains intact, providing ample laughs throughout the season. Cid's delusions of grandeur, the exaggerated reactions of the supporting characters, and the overall absurd situations keep the tone light and entertaining.

Animation: The animation remains impressive, with fluid action sequences and dynamic character expressions. The art style effectively captures the series' comedic and dramatic moments.

Characters: The characters continue to be a highlight, with Cid's over-the-top persona and the supporting cast's endearing quirks driving the narrative forward.

Weaknesses:

Pacing: The pacing feels inconsistent at times, with some episodes dragging and others rushing through plot points. This unevenness can affect the overall flow of the season.

Predictability: Despite its self-aware nature, the season's plot twists and turns often feel predictable, failing to surprise or challenge viewers.

Filler: While the season's original content is engaging, it's interspersed with filler episodes that feel unnecessary and detract from the overall narrative momentum.

Overall:

The Eminence in Shadow season 2 delivers a solid sequel that maintains the series' strengths while introducing some new weaknesses. The humor, animation, and characters remain entertaining, but the pacing, predictability, and filler content can hamper the overall experience. Fans of the first season will likely find enough enjoyment here, but those seeking a more refined and cohesive narrative may be left wanting.

Additional Points:

The season's exploration of Cid's inner conflict and the potential consequences of his actions adds depth to his character.

The introduction of new characters and factions expands the series' world-building and introduces new challenges for Cid and Shadow Garden.

The season concludes with a satisfying resolution that sets the stage for future conflicts and character development.
Nov 26, 2023 12:25 PM

Jul 2022
oh yehhsss mann hot stuff mmmm
Nov 28, 2023 7:19 AM
Dec 2021
OUTRO EPISÓDIOZINHO DE PRAIA? PELO AMOR VELHO, JÁ CANSEI DESSA MERDA!
Nov 28, 2023 8:12 AM
Sep 2020
hot spring episode. Do you need anything more?
Nov 28, 2023 1:07 PM
May 2020
Filler episode ..
Nov 29, 2023 5:59 PM
Jul 2020
I loved this episode. A lot of fanservice, our beautiful girls getting little vacation and a lot of Zeta <3
Nov 30, 2023 1:56 AM

Feb 2018
Sheesh swimsuit episode? Yup, expected with this kind of anime anyways, the creators know how to be cultured lol. Eta wearing a bunny outfit is a bit random lmao.

whoa they busted out the red and white outfits too? Sheeesh! lol.

This episode did feel like it was missing something though, that being Cid. He didn't even make a cameo at all?? Not counting the flashback lol. Felt like an OVA extra episode.

Never ending plan to watch list...

Dec 2, 2023 4:04 AM
Dec 2023
The episode 8 everything about it was all right except the 2 super annoying friends of MC.
Dec 3, 2023 10:28 AM
Dec 2023
This anime has so many troll moments and strong character fights + occasional ecchi
Dec 3, 2023 5:38 PM
Nov 2023
what is this ?? . . . . . . . .. .
Dec 3, 2023 6:39 PM
Nov 2020
Dam a hot springs episode? Nice, was a funny episode, even though it didn't really do much for the plot was still enjoyable 8.5/10 episode
Dec 4, 2023 11:55 PM

May 2015
People complaining like Eminence in Shadow is supposed to be a serious anime.
The whole show is satire. It's an average show, with an average plot and average animation.
There's nothing remarkable about it besides its inflated score in MAL.
It contains so many anime tropes, so I'm not surprised at all to see a filler fanservice beach/pool episode.
Dec 5, 2023 2:17 PM
Mar 2016
This season has only 12 episodes and they wasted one to make filler cringe fanservice episode instead of making it on ova, kinda sad, I didn't even see Cid in it. I wanted more story and action but instead I wasted one week waiting for nothing. Instead of one episode of pure fanservice, they could include it in a subtle way of few frames like in Mushoku Tensei.
Dec 5, 2023 4:09 PM
Dec 2021
Kanpeki-desu. We couldn't miss the onsen episode, of course not <3. as always a delightful gift <3
Dec 6, 2023 12:30 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Fanservice power!!!
Gold tears and Dragon, ended in a thermal complex!!!
kekeke
Dec 6, 2023 3:21 PM
Sep 2018
This episode was the typical add-on beach Fanservice they include in almost every shounen out there. Nothing special
Dec 8, 2023 6:43 AM

Nov 2023
This episode was very light and provided a nice break after the conclusion of two more serious arcs. We all love an Alpha who has regained her confidence back. Look at her go.
Dec 10, 2023 3:38 AM

Jul 2017
This is Great. And we also had the reveal of 30 year old Wizard. 😊
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hey there

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 10, 2023 5:36 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well, for sure they know how to make original pool episode xD
Dec 12, 2023 8:05 PM

Jun 2007
I was questioning my allegiance throughout this season but this confirms it.

Undeniably Team Zeta

Baka Inu

I also loudly snorted out when Gamma fell on her face.
Took me completely by surprise.
Dec 13, 2023 8:03 AM
Nov 2022
I was rewatching in dub, and I just realized after Alpha Zeta and Beta attacked the dragon somehow, beta managed to get trapped in the dragon off-screen😂😂😂
Dec 21, 2023 7:11 PM
Dec 2023
I really like it and it can make me heal the wounds it gives me
Dec 22, 2023 4:23 AM
Apr 2021
Ah yes the typical beach episode but in this case the hot spring epsiode and I LOVED the fanservice in this episode all the girl were just *chefs kiss*😫🤌🏽 and THEY PLAYED THE ENDING SONG FROM THE FIRST SEASON WITH ALL THE GIRLS IN THE PICTURE I missed that song so much😭🥹

Overall great episode loved it 10/10🔥
Dec 26, 2023 7:19 PM
Apr 2020
another swimming pool beach shit episode
Dec 28, 2023 2:37 PM

Dec 2013
The logic in this show can be stupid but this was on another level. Poor excuse for a fanservice episode and easily the worst episode in the series.
Jan 9, 5:48 AM
Jan 2024
too many fanservice
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2023

328 by Kevinjtc »»
May 15, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2023

312 by kyled00m »»
May 10, 2:14 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2023

161 by nanajp »»
May 8, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2023

93 by nanajp »»
May 8, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2023

125 by nanajp »»
May 8, 5:45 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.