Forum Settings
Forums

Smartphone Game 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Gets Anime

New
Nov 12, 2023 9:07 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014

The Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku (Promise of Wizard) 4th Anniversary Special Program announced an anime project for the smartphone game on Sunday, revealing a visual (pictured above).

The game, written by Bunta Tsushimi (IDOLiSH7), was developed and published by Coly for iOS and Android in November 2019.

A manga adaptation by Shinonomeuta began serialization in Comic ZERO-SUM in April 2020. Ichijinsha shipped the second volume in November 2021.

Source: PR Times

Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku on MAL
DatRandomDudeNov 13, 2023 8:09 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 12, 2023 10:05 PM

Feb 2021
Never heard about this game before.

Also @DatRandomDude, please add this image to your news post:

Nov 13, 2023 3:05 AM

Apr 2012
I wonder how the josei all-male franchise differs from shoujo. More fanservice?
Nov 13, 2023 7:30 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
I wonder how the josei all-male franchise differs from shoujo. More fanservice?
@RobertBobert, adult works, more mature depiction of relationships.
MemoreNov 13, 2023 10:15 AM
Nov 13, 2023 10:18 AM

Oct 2016
4th anniversary? Never heard of this game before.
According to the game's wiki, it's supposedly an otome game without romance, which works for me. I'm so tired of romance being forced into the plot where the protagonist (usually the guys' manager/writer or whatever) is solely there to be the center of a harem, and all the guys fall head over heels for literally no reason. If they decide to bring in the protagonist (Akira?), I hope to see an actual character, not a walking plank of wood.
Nov 13, 2023 11:15 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Yudesei
According to the game's wiki, it's supposedly an otome game without romance, which works for me. I'm so tired of romance being forced into the plot where the protagonist (usually the guys' manager/writer or whatever) is solely there to be the center of a harem, and all the guys fall head over heels for literally no reason. If they decide to bring in the protagonist (Akira?), I hope to see an actual character, not a walking plank of wood.
@Yudesei I don't know what games you're talking about, in Ensemble Stars or IMAS the reasons why girls are attracted are almost always pretty reasonable. Plus, this isn't the type of game where the protagonists need to be actual characters (if we are talking about waifu and hasubendo bait types of gacha games). They are intended to be self-insert points for the player, so their mentality and actions are averaged to generalize to as many people as possible playing this game. But don’t worry, even if there is no real romance in the game, shippers will still imagine one, especially when the cast is same-sex.
Nov 13, 2023 11:37 AM

Oct 2016
Reply to RobertBobert
@Yudesei I don't know what games you're talking about, in Ensemble Stars or IMAS the reasons why girls are attracted are almost always pretty reasonable. Plus, this isn't the type of game where the protagonists need to be actual characters (if we are talking about waifu and hasubendo bait types of gacha games). They are intended to be self-insert points for the player, so their mentality and actions are averaged to generalize to as many people as possible playing this game. But don’t worry, even if there is no real romance in the game, shippers will still imagine one, especially when the cast is same-sex.
@RobertBobert Except self-insert protagonists don't work well in anime. In the games, you can make decisions for them to make it feel like it's "your" story. When these characters are adapted into anime, and the creators refuse to give the protagonist a "canon" personality, it ends with the protagonist becoming bland, boring and - again - characters fall for them for no reason.

And I don't need an explanation of "these games" when I'm already familiar with them. Mind your business, thanks.
Nov 13, 2023 11:49 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Yudesei
@RobertBobert Except self-insert protagonists don't work well in anime. In the games, you can make decisions for them to make it feel like it's "your" story. When these characters are adapted into anime, and the creators refuse to give the protagonist a "canon" personality, it ends with the protagonist becoming bland, boring and - again - characters fall for them for no reason.

And I don't need an explanation of "these games" when I'm already familiar with them. Mind your business, thanks.
@Yudesei These protagonists remain your POV for communicating with girls and boys, regardless of whether the game or anime. You just need to clearly understand what a type of anime you are watching. You won't complain about gay content in BL shows or the lack of violence in kodomo anime, do you? Although I know people who unironically accuse shonen of appealing to a teenage audience, for example. Each show has its own demographics and appeal, especially when it comes to adapting an IP with an already established fandom.

Well, you still haven't answered what shows you're talking about. Could you name me an all-female or all-male show where the protagonist in the adaptation became "bland, boring" and the characters fell in love with them for no reason? As far as I remember, most of these games tone down the romance to reduce possible conflicts between fans of the characters.
Nov 13, 2023 11:51 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Yudesei
@Yudesei, yes, me too, also never heard about this game before, the manga adaptation too: https://myanimelist.net/manga/128582/
Nov 13, 2023 12:07 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Memore
@Yudesei, yes, me too, also never heard about this game before, the manga adaptation too: https://myanimelist.net/manga/128582/
@Memore Well, it's not surprising considering that the game seems to be only available on Japanese Google Play and many people are familiar with it through fan translations of the content.
Nov 13, 2023 12:16 PM

Oct 2016
Reply to Memore
@Memore Yeah, I noticed that there's a manga of it. I've tried searching for both "Promise of Wizard" and "Mahoyaku", but I couldn't find an English version of the game. But since it's their 4th anniversary, it has a manga and it's now getting an anime project, I'm guessing it must be really popular in Japan. I wonder why they haven't translated it.
Nov 13, 2023 12:17 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to Yudesei
@Memore Yeah, I noticed that there's a manga of it. I've tried searching for both "Promise of Wizard" and "Mahoyaku", but I couldn't find an English version of the game. But since it's their 4th anniversary, it has a manga and it's now getting an anime project, I'm guessing it must be really popular in Japan. I wonder why they haven't translated it.
@Yudesei, maybe manga will start to be translated soon.
Nov 13, 2023 4:42 PM

Dec 2020
never in my life did i expect mahoyaku to get an anime 😭
Nov 13, 2023 9:50 PM

Feb 2011
Oh wow, this is cool! I wonder if they're doing male or female Akira? I play as male Akira but I'll watch either way of course. :)
眠れないのは君のせい
Nov 14, 2023 1:41 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Chouninatte
Oh wow, this is cool! I wonder if they're doing male or female Akira? I play as male Akira but I'll watch either way of course. :)
@Chouninatte Does this game have a gender selectable protagonist? In any case, it depends on if there is at least ship bait in the game. If not, then there may well be a male protagonist. For example, the Arknights hid the Doctor's gender to use the game's running gag to circumvent this issue.
Nov 14, 2023 9:47 AM

Nov 2014
So excited about it. I've always been interested getting into it but I've always been too lazy to do so. I hope it will be a nice adaptation I'm really looking forward to it!! I want to see Lenox :)

Nov 14, 2023 10:59 AM

Oct 2017
Never heard of the game before and it's all male cast so big no.
Feb 27, 4:27 AM
Nov 2017
If Bunta Tsushimi is the writer of the story then it's going to be mind-blowing for sure!
I was really shocked with how the story was written for Idolish7. Each and every character is very well written and all of them had great dynamics with eachother.

Can't wait to see this anime! I heard a lot of good reviews about mahoyaku's story.
And hopefully we get a global version of the game for both Idolish7 and Promise of Wizard!
Feb 27, 4:35 AM
Nov 2017
Reply to Yudesei
@Yudesei I'm pretty sure the characters will have depth in them and not just exist for visuals as I have read and seen the writers other works. They make every character shine in their own way which is very rare to see these days in many animes.
Feb 27, 10:22 PM

Jun 2008
I've actually played a little bit of the game, so this just might be something right up my alley. :)

More topics from this board

» 'Diamond no Ace: Act II' TV Anime Sequel in Production

Vindstot - 5 hours ago

11 by Zedlin »»
16 minutes ago

» 'Detective Conan' Creator's 'Yaiba' Manga Receives New Anime

Hyperion_PS - May 7

22 by Lambofgenesis »»
3 hours ago

» Winners of the 48th Kodansha Manga Awards

Snow - May 15

13 by tragedydesu »»
4 hours ago

» Smartphone Game 'Garena Free Fire' Gets Anime Project

Hyperion_PS - May 12

45 by PPL_CaLL_Me_DUDE »»
9 hours ago

» 'Tsue to Tsurugi no Wistoria' Unveils Additional Pair of Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 10:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.