Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 11, 2023 8:27 AM

May 2020
I’m finding it hilarious how some of these characters, like the girls of crystal palace who serve Rifa, couldn’t even recognize Maomao in her new look until she showed her “dark” side lol. Changing looks really can do wonders:)

Though leaving that aside, we got a very valuable piece of information, that being… how the current pure consort and virtuous consort apart from being the favourite concubines of the current emperor, are in fact DAUGHTER and MOTHER-IN-LAW to each other as well lol. As the last emperor, the current one’s father did marry Lishu back then… when she was practically more kiddy than she is now. May seem baffling, but it was a common practice back then…

… marrying a mere child for political reasons. Anyways, for Maomao, I liked how she received an ornament from Rifa as well. Which does make it a whole 4 after counting the one that young man Rihaku gave her. But it wasn’t the only fascinating thing which had happened to Maomao, I mean being an event this was, the poison taster role was bound to be there, and so…

Came the moment of euphoria for Maomao when she literally tasted poisoned food, and that face… god she loves it lol. But she was still a bit sad that she didn’t feel numbness over her whole body after that, I mean that ain’t something a normal person should worry about right?

Anyways, the poison plot may not have seen its complete answer yet, but we did get to know it was a way to mess with Lishu which mistakenly got swapped with Gyokyou's food.
Nov 11, 2023 10:15 AM
Sep 2023
Amazing animation and W GYATTS
Nov 11, 2023 11:04 AM
Sep 2015
The reason she gave the wood tablet to that poison tester is because she want to punish that poison tester? Since that wood tablet will create rash to anyone holding it.

But first, someone please create a better family chart than in the anime, I'm still confused.
Nov 11, 2023 11:11 AM

Feb 2021
Lishu, the girl who became a concubine at 9.
This was another great episode and another great adaptation.
Maomao knows how to be scary when she wants to.
Nov 11, 2023 11:17 AM

Apr 2010
Moamoa's reaction to the poison was funny, but it was typical of her.
Her reaction did create some trouble for others tho now the question is who put the poison there.
Also the previous emperor had some disturbing hobbies.
Nov 11, 2023 11:20 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to Softhenic03
I’m finding it hilarious how some of these characters, like the girls of crystal palace who serve Rifa, couldn’t even recognize Maomao in her new look until she showed her “dark” side lol. Changing looks really can do wonders:)

Though leaving that aside, we got a very valuable piece of information, that being… how the current pure consort and virtuous consort apart from being the favourite concubines of the current emperor, are in fact DAUGHTER and MOTHER-IN-LAW to each other as well lol. As the last emperor, the current one’s father did marry Lishu back then… when she was practically more kiddy than she is now. May seem baffling, but it was a common practice back then…

… marrying a mere child for political reasons. Anyways, for Maomao, I liked how she received an ornament from Rifa as well. Which does make it a whole 4 after counting the one that young man Rihaku gave her. But it wasn’t the only fascinating thing which had happened to Maomao, I mean being an event this was, the poison taster role was bound to be there, and so…

Came the moment of euphoria for Maomao when she literally tasted poisoned food, and that face… god she loves it lol. But she was still a bit sad that she didn’t feel numbness over her whole body after that, I mean that ain’t something a normal person should worry about right?

Anyways, the poison plot may not have seen its complete answer yet, but we did get to know it was a way to mess with Lishu which mistakenly got swapped with Gyokyou's food.
@Softhenic03 Current Emperor did marry Lishu for political reasons, but I wonder about former Emperor, considering Empress dowager had children whe she was around same age. Sounds like matter of preference to me...

Also it's fairly clear food wasn't switched by mistake. It seems Lishus own ladies-in-waiting are bullying her. That's why they switched her food with one she can't eat (which might ironically save her life as he poison taster might not be as good as Maomao to catch on poison in time).
Tenzen12Nov 11, 2023 11:25 AM
Nov 11, 2023 11:22 AM

Apr 2015
Reply to phantomfandom
The reason she gave the wood tablet to that poison tester is because she want to punish that poison tester? Since that wood tablet will create rash to anyone holding it.

But first, someone please create a better family chart than in the anime, I'm still confused.
@phantomfandom

shown in this episode:

Emperor's mother (had him very young)
Four main consorts
Youngest consort, Lishu, was initially given to previous Emperor as a concubine, returned home after his death, then was given again to the current Emperor
Nov 11, 2023 11:32 AM

Mar 2021
Really great episode it was great seeing Maomao be able to detect that poison but am really curious about who it is that is poisoning the food
Nov 11, 2023 11:35 AM

Oct 2017
Maomao sure is popular, even lady Lihua gave her a hairpin. The ecstatic look on her face when tasting the poison, she's quite the pervert when it comes to poison ain't she.

Royal family drama never fail to amuse. Lady Lishu went from previous emperor's concubine at age nine to the next one's, sheesh. I wonder who's targetting her though.

More Jinshi x Maomao was sweet, need more and I'm still waiting to know his identity. With how the emperor's little brother was missing from the garden party and Jinshi was absent too, could it be?
Nov 11, 2023 11:38 AM

Jul 2012
Mean girls and food allergies. Maomao's personality is hilarious with her fantasy over poison and her wild imagination of Jinshi lol.

Jinshi's also connecting the dots and suspecting someone of brewing trouble in the background.
Nov 11, 2023 11:52 AM

Oct 2012
Now we finally know Jinshi's real position in court. He's just the second most important person there lol Maomao just collecting hairpins, you go girl! I wonder what role the new guy will play. Awesome poison scene.

It's sad that we gotta wait a week for one episode and when you finally watch it, it feels like only 3 minutes passed by! Damn!
Nov 11, 2023 11:54 AM
Oct 2016
This garden parry with all the courtesan didn't go as smoothly as hoped. There was in fact a poisoning attempt on the Lady Lishu. Somehow the dishes got mixed up and Maomao tasted the poison soup meant for Lady Lishu. Its very interesting learning about the politics of this palace. Not everything is straightforward and easy to see naturally, very weird moment learning about the previous emperor having Lady Lishu as his concubine even though she was only nine years old. I can only imagine how she feels being turned into that at such a young age. Its only natural she feels adversity towards the other concubine when she's been forced into this so young. Maomao making that discovery of the poison really helped save lives, Lady Gyoukyou could've died since the dishes were mixed up. Maomao expression upon realizing the soup was poison looked crazy as hell. She's so accustomed to poisons it almost seemed desirable for her to try more. Maomao was very popular at the garden parry before things went sideways. She received many hairpins, too many to actually keep in her hair and instead in her waist band. Calling the Lady Lishu and her food taster in to coerce the truth from them. Lady Lishu can't eat fish without breaking out in those hives. Her food taster didn't do anything to help her, it's A good thing that Maomao is there to set things straight once again.
Nov 11, 2023 11:56 AM

Jul 2022
the previous emperor was a pedophile :0

but i don't get it was lishu poisoned or was she just served mackrel to which she was allergic?
Nov 11, 2023 12:01 PM

Oct 2012
Even though we're just for now getting small shots of her, lady Ah-Duo is still so pretty T_T can't wait to hear her
and..
yes... the previous emperors...... tastes....
Nov 11, 2023 12:04 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to DreadfulLaw

but i don't get it was lishu poisoned or was she just served mackrel to which she was allergic?
@DreadfulLaw Someone tried poison her, but her ladies-in-waiting switched her poisoned food for one she is allergic to.
Nov 11, 2023 12:09 PM
Jul 2019
Reply to Tenzen12
@DreadfulLaw Someone tried poison her, but her ladies-in-waiting switched her poisoned food for one she is allergic to.
@Tenzen12 Bullying low-key saved both their lives. But remember kids Bullying is BAD
Nov 11, 2023 12:11 PM
Mar 2023
Reply to Tenzen12
@Tenzen12 Oh so it's a bullying thing? I thought her food tester was trying to kill her but it makes sense that she freaked out when she heard it could've killed her if all she wanted to do was give her a rash.
Nov 11, 2023 12:19 PM

Mar 2020
Maomao is just out there collecting hairpins, as the poison looms...

I find Maomao just so amusing to watch every episode, the happiness when she gets to taste poison is just comedy gold. The garden party continued this episode, and we got to see the concubines and their personalities. Some of the interactions between the groups were tense, seems like there's plenty of drama everywhere. There was some rather disturbing lore around the emperor and his concubines, but I suppose this was commonplace back in the day. As expected, one of the dishes were poisoned, and it was the one that Lady Gyokuyou was supposed to eat, but with a blunder from the servers, Lishu got affected since she was allergic to the fish. I do hope we get some more answers around who was behind the poison plot, but for now, we'll wait in suspense for more...
Nov 11, 2023 12:29 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode! I am always impressed with how sharp Maomao is.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Nov 11, 2023 12:36 PM
May 2017
Reply to DreadfulLaw

@DreadfulLaw Not necessarily. A 9 years old concubine can be a result of a state affair solved and it has no relation with the Emperor having sex with such concubine -- such fact would be pedophilia.
Nov 11, 2023 12:44 PM

Apr 2021
Maomao is really climbing the ranks of my favorite characters. She has such a great sense of humor, can be sadistic or very commanding if needed. Also her gaining pleasure out of poison is kinda relatable.

utopicaNov 11, 2023 12:51 PM
Nov 11, 2023 12:49 PM

Jan 2009
Knowing the source inside out, I still nearly soiled my monitor with soda when Maomao dreamed about lying on the ground poisoned and writhing in pain and asking Jinshi if she could get the rest of the soup. They really do manage to nail the weirdo in Maomao :)
Nov 11, 2023 1:04 PM

Jul 2011
With allergies covered in this episode, make me wonder. Be the second-opinion taster after the previous taster if they had some serious allergic reaction, must be super fun.

I need to remember the hairpin thing, because I totally forgot that had the wood thingys still going on, until Jinshi brought up.
Nov 11, 2023 1:05 PM
Oct 2017
I loved the episode.
The art, the expressions, the story : everything is perfect.
Nov 11, 2023 1:10 PM
Aug 2019
Mao-mao is so interesting character to watch
Nov 11, 2023 1:23 PM

Jan 2019
Loving this plot of Lishu being the target for the poison, but her servants accidentally saving her by swapping the food to bully her!

Also the Emperor's brother was missing from the ceremony, and so was Jinshi...

Nov 11, 2023 1:25 PM
May 2021
This anime is beyond peak wtf man.
Nov 11, 2023 1:29 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to leonardobarba
@DreadfulLaw Not necessarily. A 9 years old concubine can be a result of a state affair solved and it has no relation with the Emperor having sex with such concubine -- such fact would be pedophilia.
@leonardobarba Did you see Empress Dowager? Despite being current Emperor mother, she is not that much older then him. Maomao herself noted that she had to have hard time to give birth.
Nov 11, 2023 1:31 PM

Nov 2013
Maomao asking for more poisoned soup was hilarious! :D
Nov 11, 2023 1:38 PM
Jul 2019
Reply to phantomfandom

@phantomfandom

Not true.
Nov 11, 2023 1:47 PM

Sep 2012
Reply to phantomfandom

@phantomfandom The reason she gave her wooden tablets, was that they were the most common thing to write on. Don't forget we're talking about times when paper was the extremely luxury item.
Nov 11, 2023 1:48 PM

Jul 2017
Maomao is sure quite something with her poison fetish, it was in full effect in this week's episode. Can definitely see how she messed her body up by trying out too much of it in the past to lead her on that path now lol. The morals too are quite something in the setting for the series. Weird elements aside, a pretty good episode overall but not the best the series has offered so far admittedly. Not like I have much issues with it but wanted just a bit more considering the cliffhanger from the previous episode, it's still quality stuff regardless. Art looked pretty consistent and quality for the most part too.
Nov 11, 2023 1:59 PM

Dec 2018
she handles herself with so much grace and confidence i love her as a character.
Nov 11, 2023 2:05 PM
Aug 2020
another great episode, this girl is so unique, my girl of the year...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Nov 11, 2023 2:08 PM
Jul 2014
Softhenic03 said:

No, the pure and virtuous consorts are the non-favourites. I'm pretty sure they're named that because he's not visiting with either of them. It's telling that it was only the other two who got pregnant.
Nov 11, 2023 2:22 PM

Sep 2021
Now that Lady Lihua gave Maomao a hairpin that actually matched her outfit (to the total opposite of lousy Jinshi), they, for me, became a much better ship than MaomaoxJinshi.
But atm Maomao is a pretty enjoyable character on her own, so I'm really looking forward for her visiting her old home next episode.

Nov 11, 2023 2:27 PM
Aug 2020
This deserve 10 out of 10 no question. Gem of season.
Nov 11, 2023 2:33 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to Mirality
Softhenic03 said:

No, the pure and virtuous consorts are the non-favourites. I'm pretty sure they're named that because he's not visiting with either of them. It's telling that it was only the other two who got pregnant.
@Mirality Lishu is not visited because unlike his father, the new emperor is not... erm... into lolis. But he had to take her in the harem for political reasons. As for Ah-Duo, these are some big spoilers that will be explained at the end of this arc.

Really, the staff should have gone for 12 episode season unless they plan to make another 24 soon. Because LN vol. 1 ending is a good place to end, LN. 4 ending is even better place. But vol. 2 ending not so much.
Nachtwandler_21Nov 11, 2023 3:40 PM
Nov 11, 2023 2:37 PM
Oct 2023
Perfect episode! This series just keeps getting better and better.
Nov 11, 2023 2:48 PM
Jan 2019
Imagine being so immune to poison that you are able to eat a pufferfish without seperating the poison. Craazy. But I really felt like this episode is short or is it just me?
Nov 11, 2023 4:48 PM

Mar 2021
The concubine family tree swap XD

I love Maomao's comments, like "wow she must have pushed hard" lmao
Nov 11, 2023 5:46 PM

Apr 2022
gotta feel for lishu being the youngest getting that treatment. maomao is all the rage with the amount of hairpins she's getting and the iconic poison tasting scene is here. my favourite episode so far and being a manga reader, it just keeps getting better.
Nov 11, 2023 5:58 PM

Dec 2022
There are a lot of things to think about and with MaoMao's personality I feel like there might be hidden secrets.
Nov 11, 2023 5:59 PM

Nov 2010
  • This is the episode that MaoMao's ability as a pharmacist and a detective was fully exhibited.
  • I thought the dark round things on a stove are food at first. Next, I thought those are weight to hold the wire nets. Then I found them portable body warmers finally.
  • It's funny that the mean maids didn't realize the girl was MaoMao, but the bule-haired consort easily found her.
  • Though I thought the blue-haired consort would give MaoMao a hairpin with blue crystal, but it has a pink stone. What's that mineral?
  • It's also funny that she looked as if she was laughing by getting the poison. It must have worked like laughing mushrooms.
Nov 11, 2023 6:00 PM
Jul 2019
Seems like it only lasted 5 minutes.. it was that good
Nov 11, 2023 6:07 PM

Oct 2022
Maomao is really starting to act more and more like an imperial apothecary. I wonder if that's where she'll end up before her term is done.

Nov 11, 2023 6:17 PM
May 2017
Reply to Tenzen12
@leonardobarba Did you see Empress Dowager? Despite being current Emperor mother, she is not that much older then him. Maomao herself noted that she had to have hard time to give birth.
@Tenzen12 Once again, state affairs, royal succession, etc...
Nov 11, 2023 6:21 PM

Nov 2022
I love how many hairpins MaoMao got and god how I love the scary side of her that she puts on sometimes. The chemistry between her and Jinshi is surely improving I love they're interactions as well.
Nov 11, 2023 6:24 PM

Mar 2007
Aaah, palace dramas always have bitching and backstabbing!

Except this time it's served with a dash of cute Maomao, fierce Maomao and Feisty funny faces MaoMao.

Which makes it okay because the previous emperor clearly had ... tastes that skewed super young. Ewww.
Nov 11, 2023 6:35 PM

Oct 2022
Lishu was a consort at the age of 9 and empress dowager got pregnant at an age that can't be loudly spoken about...that points towards one thing only. Good that the previous emperor is already dead.
UndefeatedBahamut
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Dec 16, 2023

165 by JSM5421 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

208 by JSM5421 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 17

244 by _Fishy_ »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

162 by Jonsitoa »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

257 by gabri-ns »»
May 14, 11:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.