Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 4, 2023 10:47 PM

May 2015
I don't know what they were talking about, those freckles were cute, and she couldn't been able to hide her jewel-like beautiful eyes even with the help of them.
Nov 4, 2023 10:52 PM

Nov 2022
Such a great show! But of course one of the concubines is a freaking loli...
Nov 4, 2023 10:57 PM

May 2015
Reply to basskiller
@basskiller Yeah, there is always a mandatory loli with an irritating high pitched voice. And I had thought for a moment the emperor had a good taste with his selected bouquet of women until I saw her.
Nov 4, 2023 11:13 PM
May 2020
Guess Jinshi stops being repulsive the second he stops trying to be attractive. And uh... one of these concubines looks a little young. Makes sense for the setting I guess.
Nov 4, 2023 11:18 PM
Mar 2023
I had my doubts at first but dang.....
Ok, So I didn't think this would be my cup of tea but its fantastic. One of the few anime where I am watching the progress bar at the bottom hoping it won't end soon as I watch it. Why is that?

The MC is great, She is passionate when she wants to be but has a cool collected head on her. Just the right amount of sarcasm when she can sneak it in. She's intelligent and doesn't do dumb things (So Far) that get me irritated.

The supporting characters, They keep adding depth each episode. Characters I thought at first I would hate grow on me and show development. Little comedy, Little serious, and a lot of entertainment.

The Art- WOW, They have done a great job with this animation. There are times I actually stop and say wow look at that.

Most the time... I never mention music. But there are great sound effects and music that set a great tone. I notice the music cues as mood changes. I am dense when it comes to this kind of thing but its good enough for me to take note.
Disclaimer- This has been after 5 episodes. Will update if something changes but after this many I don't see that happening. - Also I have not read source material but this is making me want too.
This is great in so many ways, Characters, Art, Music, Dialogue.
Nov 4, 2023 11:35 PM

Oct 2022
I didnt expect that to be the reasoning for her freckles, damn.
Nov 5, 2023 12:10 AM

Dec 2022
Is the hairpin gift thing gonna be explained in the future episodes? Cause I'm also curious of it's meaning.
Nov 5, 2023 12:17 AM

Oct 2022
I guess Maomao is more beautiful without freckles but freckles are so cute. That preview looked juicy! Looks like jealousy is coming up!
Nov 5, 2023 1:00 AM
Jul 2018
It was an episode that made me feel that Maomao and Jinshi's relationship would improve. Especially that hairpin scene and Jinshi's feeling sorry for the circumstances related to where Maomao lived in the past were a symptom of this. Apart from that, the image quality felt like it was better than the last episode.

Although I am familiar with the subject because I have read his manga, it is more enjoyable to imagine when he sees them with such vivid colors. ♡
Nov 5, 2023 1:20 AM

Nov 2016
ngl, it's a shame her freckles are fake. i think it makes sense, portrays her unique style of thinking really well and generally fits with her character, but it was also an interesting element of her design and it's a shame to see it go. freckles, of course, aren't ugly at all, but they were considered as such back in the day, and i think that jinshi falling for a "tiny, freckled, ugly little thing" and trying to reconcile it with his generally pretty vain character would've been a very fun thing to witness. alas, maomao was actually secretly stunning all along.

i hope that at least her arms won't get magically healed. looking at jinshi's reaction to her sad backstory this episode, i can't wait to see him react to her arms lol
the budding romance is super sweet so far and i want to see more! and more court drama. and more scheming jinshi. and more maomao, in general. if it keeps going well it might just be the second anime ever to make me read the light novel for it!
Nov 5, 2023 1:26 AM

Feb 2019
Maomao is so damn beautiful. Even Jinshi had to do a second take lol. Knew she had to be hiding some serious beauty under that innocent persona. She fits right in in the inner palace
Nov 5, 2023 1:46 AM
Aug 2019
Reply to Mr_Fudgee
Is the hairpin gift thing gonna be explained in the future episodes? Cause I'm also curious of it's meaning.
@Mr_Fudgee no worries, it does
Nov 5, 2023 1:49 AM

Nov 2022
It was fun this time around seeing Jinshi being touched by Maomao's backstory, but also even giving her the hairpin. She better be careful lots of woman at the party will be envious of her.
Nov 5, 2023 1:55 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to Jennysevilla
I love Jinshi and Maomao together, I hope she is no longer averse to him. I would be happy if she fell in love with him. You can tell that he loves her 🥰
@Jennysevilla the problem here is not if she likes him or not. Being with this guy is a lot of trouble (even more than you think). And MaoMao hates trouble.
Nov 5, 2023 1:57 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to basskiller
@basskiller it will be explained in the story later (no, the current Emperor is not into lolis).

@Ishitateso the emperors taste is as you guesssed, she is here solely because of politics.
Nov 5, 2023 1:57 AM

Oct 2022
Man this anime continues to be so well directed and made. Kind of fun for the girls to make Maomao look pretty and they are surprisingly shocked she geuniely has looks.

Nov 5, 2023 1:01 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to Mr_Fudgee
@Mr_Fudgee yes, it will be explained next episode or an episode later.
Nov 5, 2023 1:36 AM

Dec 2022
It seems that Jinshi giving his hairpin was more trying to help protect her from bad men (since it signals that a man already has given his intention) or if there is a thread of something more romantic. Either way, was a lovely scene and I'm excited to see how it builds from here!
Nov 5, 2023 1:54 AM
Sep 2021
So it's time for garden party and maomao looks beautiful with or without makeup. But the peace in the party is short-lived.
Nov 5, 2023 1:59 AM

Oct 2022
Great episode again! I was really surprised that she made herself have freckles in order to look more ugly. Damn, she really had it tough living around a brothel, but she still got kidnapped.
Nov 5, 2023 2:16 AM

Dec 2022
For how smart Mao mao is at figuring stuff out you'd expect her to figure out the meaning behind the hairpins too but alas you can't have an mc have perception on romance and investigating/medicine. Unfortunate but I guess that's a compensation you gotta accept.

Nov 5, 2023 3:10 AM

Mar 2011
This episode was really enjoyable! Even without a mystery but probably a hint for the next one. Maomao looked so beautiful *-*. I also loved the moment between her and Jinshi. It was really touching (and scary to hear why Maomao had to do that).

So according to Gyokuyou putting on their jewelery means showing they are her attendants. That's very interesting.

I'm excited for the Garden party next episode since it seems like more of the characters will be introduced.
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Nov 5, 2023 5:10 AM
Mar 2020
A great prelude to my favorite storyline of the Garden Party.
Nov 5, 2023 5:29 AM

Dec 2022
I wonder what Maomao really thinks. She seems so passive, yet I think she cares about her dad, she says she's mad about being kidnapped, and now everyone is claiming her in one way or another (even if its just asking for favors).
Nov 5, 2023 5:33 AM

Jul 2017
Really good episode once again, and the pacing for the anime has been getting better and better since the start which is great. Normally I really dislike slowburn anime that accomplish nothing but something about Maomao's character, seeing the others surrounding her in the palace and their daily interactions besides just focusing solely on mysteries/cases makes it work. The dresses for the garden party looked great and it was surprisingly refreshing seeing the main character having a twist of looking worse intentionally to fend off people from having their way with her whilst drunk in brothels or selling her to others. She was kidnapped in the end so it didn't work perfectly but it was valid enough, plus she didn't want to stand out too much besides just doing her job and enjoying that solely along the way. The fake freckles does show the unique nature of her character in this series and the way she thinks, which makes it interesting. Her actual arms and body does have imperfections though from all the experimenting and poison testing she did so I can't say her character was just magically perfect looking suddenly after this, but she does look good in that outfit (even if she isn't the most comfortable with it unlike the others). She did get some significant jewelry though from Gyokuyou and Jinshi so she's quite favoured to say the least. Good cliffhanger at the end to tease the potential dangers to come after a slower couple of episodes that felt a bit lighter overall. A very good, simple buildup episode that flew by.
Nov 5, 2023 6:11 AM

Jun 2016
this show is super really really goood holyy fuckkk !!!

maomao best candidate waife for the emperor LOL
Nov 5, 2023 7:02 AM
Sep 2016
1. Ah-Duo!!!! Holy Sh*t, Ah-Duo looks amazing being animated! (She was mentioned to has this somehow cool-masculine vibe to her. THEY NAILED HER DESIGN!)
2. Garden Party!!!
3. Huh, I don't remember Jinshi gave his kanzashi.... So he did huh!?
4. I don't remember Basen was introduced this early on either... He must be then huh!?

(Two animators from studio X discussing an animation direction of their anime in an izakaya)
A: The source material says they dance beautifully
B: Let's draw them beautifully and make the animation into a somewhat symbolic still images of them dancing then....
(C-san, An OLM studio animator listening from the nearby)
C: Hmph! n00bs...
(C returns to OLM and proceed animating the entire Garden Party scene dances and all, FULLY ANIMATED!)

Geez OLM! How much money did you put into this anime!

PS:
EP 5 and we already starting the Garden Party... Yep, I guess we'll get Rakkan this season....
uncleqrowNov 5, 2023 7:12 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Nov 5, 2023 8:33 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to uncleqrow
1. Ah-Duo!!!! Holy Sh*t, Ah-Duo looks amazing being animated! (She was mentioned to has this somehow cool-masculine vibe to her. THEY NAILED HER DESIGN!)
2. Garden Party!!!
3. Huh, I don't remember Jinshi gave his kanzashi.... So he did huh!?
4. I don't remember Basen was introduced this early on either... He must be then huh!?

(Two animators from studio X discussing an animation direction of their anime in an izakaya)
A: The source material says they dance beautifully
B: Let's draw them beautifully and make the animation into a somewhat symbolic still images of them dancing then....
(C-san, An OLM studio animator listening from the nearby)
C: Hmph! n00bs...
(C returns to OLM and proceed animating the entire Garden Party scene dances and all, FULLY ANIMATED!)

Geez OLM! How much money did you put into this anime!

PS:
EP 5 and we already starting the Garden Party... Yep, I guess we'll get Rakkan this season....
@uncleqrow Jinshi giving his hairpin to MaoMao during the garden party actually was a significant point in the novels and it will play some role during the whole anime events.
Nachtwandler_21Nov 5, 2023 9:31 AM
Nov 5, 2023 8:52 AM

May 2013
MaoMao is adorable. Somehow... is she stealing best girl from Frieren? I think may already have done so! Only time will tell, but Mao Mao just has so much personality. Fawk dude.
Nov 5, 2023 9:24 AM

Apr 2013
When I saw Ah Duo I paused in hope that a certain fantastic multi-talented character that normally appears way later would be among her ladies in waiting as a cameo, but unfortunately she wasn't here. Understandable, plus I don't even remember if she was already with Ah Duo at that specific time or not, but that was the only chance of seeing that character in the anime as she appears way too late otherwise. Oh well. Speaking of Ah Duo they certainly nailed her appearance perfectly.

It's cool to see more characters making their debut in the anime, like Basen and the two remaining high concubines. We also saw Suiren, though she wasn't introduced to the viewers yet. Make sense, in the LN IIRC we get introduced to her properly in volume 2. Rihaku should make an appearance next episode though!
Nov 5, 2023 9:38 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to Zefyris
When I saw Ah Duo I paused in hope that a certain fantastic multi-talented character that normally appears way later would be among her ladies in waiting as a cameo, but unfortunately she wasn't here. Understandable, plus I don't even remember if she was already with Ah Duo at that specific time or not, but that was the only chance of seeing that character in the anime as she appears way too late otherwise. Oh well. Speaking of Ah Duo they certainly nailed her appearance perfectly.

It's cool to see more characters making their debut in the anime, like Basen and the two remaining high concubines. We also saw Suiren, though she wasn't introduced to the viewers yet. Make sense, in the LN IIRC we get introduced to her properly in volume 2. Rihaku should make an appearance next episode though!
@Zefyris I though you are talking about
at first. But it does not make sense considering she will show up and will join Ah-Duo later. When I though about
but I don't remember her beig in the Ah-Duos entourage. So I presme the character you mean here does not appear in the first 9 LN volumes.
Nov 5, 2023 9:42 AM

Aug 2021
Xiaolan really knows everything that is going around. Didn't even notice before this episode that Maomao had freckles.
Nov 5, 2023 1:01 PM
Oct 2021
loved how chilled this episode was - the cooking segments were pretty decent too
Nov 5, 2023 1:08 PM

Dec 2020
It seems the freckles trick stems from the same root as Maomao's disgust with the eunuch;
she knows that men regularly drag women into dark alleyways to assault them.

I found it refreshing to see a main character who is averse to attention/power/beauty because she knows how to survive.
If there are more anime with characters like Maomao please recommend them to me!
Nov 5, 2023 1:15 PM
Adventurer

Apr 2017
Okay but that scene at the end??? Okay??? I forgot this was a romance anime for a second. Jinshi's reaction was like honey poured into my heart.

I read that hairpins were a common gift for men to gift to their girlfriends back in the days, that explains the other ladies' reactions (honestly me when I saw the scene be like)

Looking forward to the next one!
I'll make it with the power of cute

I'm unstoppable
Nov 5, 2023 1:42 PM

Mar 2007
Oh Maomao gets a glow up when the "ugly" ducking is revealed to actually be a beautiful swan! I am now getting romance vibes and I love it.
Nov 5, 2023 3:00 PM

Dec 2022
Reply to ArimaKana
Jinshi x Maomao going smooth. He definitely has higher authority than he lets on as the stuff he said this episode hinted on it.
@ArimaKana This. I have not read the source material, so this is random speculation. For some reason it gives me the vibes that he might actually be royalty, but his real identity is only known to a select few. One thing I am sure of is that he is most definitely not an eunuch (kinda suspect that some concubines might know at least that much considering how they try to lure him to their bed). That would also explain why he feels personally responsible for things happening outside of the palace - as he feels royalty should govern the land in a way to protect the citizens.
Nov 5, 2023 4:04 PM

Nov 2010
I love Maomao so much ♥ I never thought that she looks ugly with fake freckles though. I think that this scene was different in the manga, but I don't remember how it was in the manga though.
Nov 5, 2023 7:04 PM
Nov 2021
Bro I don’t get why people think freckles are ugly, they’re so adorable :0
Nov 6, 2023 1:32 AM
Oct 2019
Wow i never expected the freckles to be fake and also i never thought she is looks ugly with freckles.

Maomao looks absolutely gorgeous!!

I think giving the hairpin means confess your love in this era??
davidyodo24Nov 6, 2023 1:36 AM
Nov 6, 2023 1:56 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to Willhelm23
Bro I don’t get why people think freckles are ugly, they’re so adorable :0
@Willhelm23 they were considered against beauty standard in that time.
Nachtwandler_21Nov 6, 2023 2:49 AM
Nov 6, 2023 3:15 AM

Oct 2011
jinshi giving the hairpin to maomao was such a cute gesture T^T
Nov 6, 2023 3:55 AM

Apr 2017
This season is fulfilled with new great female MC ,i really wonder what the meaning of Jinshi giving that hair accessories to Maomao is that a propose?
Moe is Love ! Moe is Life !
Nov 6, 2023 4:30 AM

Apr 2013
Reply to Nachtwandler_21
@Zefyris I though you are talking about
at first. But it does not make sense considering she will show up and will join Ah-Duo later. When I though about
but I don't remember her beig in the Ah-Duos entourage. So I presme the character you mean here does not appear in the first 9 LN volumes.
@Nachtwandler_21
you're partially correct that this is an info that you don't have access in the first 9 vol, though you do know the character I talk about.
ZefyrisNov 6, 2023 4:38 AM
Nov 6, 2023 5:23 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to Zefyris
@Nachtwandler_21
you're partially correct that this is an info that you don't have access in the first 9 vol, though you do know the character I talk about.
@Zefyris got it. I wonder, if it will be covered in vol. 10 (English version comes out in January) or later.
Nov 6, 2023 7:01 AM
Mar 2023
What an unexpected friendship was formed between Maomao and Croaker, they are almost confidants now jsjs, Maomao also makes me laugh explaining things about apothecary, herbalism or basic chemistry to people who instantly associate everything with the supernatural, it is as if someone from the present travel back in time and try to explain to people that thunder is not because God is angry. Anyway, good plot-twist that Maomao had been nerfing herself all this time for the sake of the plot, as soon as Jinshi saw her without her make-up to make herself ugly, he was completely stunned. See you next week for the garden party and let those who are plotting to poison the emperor show their fangs.
PS: How old is Lishu? I understand the context of the era they're in, but I really hope she's just short.
Nov 6, 2023 7:29 AM

Aug 2023
Reply to dcsanchez3
What an unexpected friendship was formed between Maomao and Croaker, they are almost confidants now jsjs, Maomao also makes me laugh explaining things about apothecary, herbalism or basic chemistry to people who instantly associate everything with the supernatural, it is as if someone from the present travel back in time and try to explain to people that thunder is not because God is angry. Anyway, good plot-twist that Maomao had been nerfing herself all this time for the sake of the plot, as soon as Jinshi saw her without her make-up to make herself ugly, he was completely stunned. See you next week for the garden party and let those who are plotting to poison the emperor show their fangs.
PS: How old is Lishu? I understand the context of the era they're in, but I really hope she's just short.
dcsanchez3 said:
How old is Lishu? I understand the context of the era they're in, but I really hope she's just short.

I have heard she is around 14 yrs old. Which is concerning 😟😟
Nov 6, 2023 8:51 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to dcsanchez3
@dcsanchez3 Lishu is 14 at the start of the story. If you are concerned about her... erm, situation... she is a virgin. Current Emperor is not into lolis and actually plans to marry her out to someone once she is not underage. How she ended up here, why emperor could not just return her home and why it is so will be explained later.
Nov 6, 2023 11:56 AM

Apr 2013
Lishu is like a niece that the Emperor dotes on, he doesn't see her as a potential woman in his bed. It was already said at least twice, the current Emperor is into adult women with large breasts.
Nov 6, 2023 12:01 PM

Jun 2019
I realize that technically speaking this is a high fantasy in the sense that it's set in an alternate world in a country of not-China (China analogue), but the technicality aside, this, for all intents and purposes, has the feel of and is flowing like a great historical period piece epic, showing characters in a distinct and unique historically-coded specific place and time and showing them change little by little internally and in their relationships with each other as their "small" personal lives combine with larger events like changing favor and competing for favor in the royal court, and the backdrop of the general political situation in the country.

I just wanted to comment and say that it's so nice to be getting something like that, as it's something I sense a serious shortage of in anime. I don't even feel like there are that many of that exact type set in historical periods of Japan, let alone other countries and cultures. I suppose something like Vinland Saga qualifies in terms of more recent series, but that is much more heavily action-based and I assume (don't know anything about the story of The Apothecary Diaries beyond these five episodes currently out) slightly to majorly more dramatic. Plus, at least in the first season more adventure-based involving a lot of journeying. Which is great in its own way, but different.

Because, as I said, I don't know anything about it beyond this, I don't know if they'll go somewhere else later or switch back and forth to various locations in that world, but I really just like the setting of the royal court's rear palace and generally remaining stationary and navigating life here. From what we've seen, I like the smallish cast of characters and their day to day in this setting.

For some reason, even though there are more dramatic scenes and events at times and some quite serious and gritty subject matter running concurrently to it all (kidnappings, poisonings, death of infants, Maomao having to disguise herself to try to ward off rape, etc.), this is an inexplicably relaxing show. Or I suppose the explanation (for me at least) is that it has those elements, but then the aura and mood of the show can transition in and out of focus on the more serious/darker things well and the atmosphere isn't suffocated or solely defined by them.

WatchTillTandavaNov 6, 2023 12:06 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Softhenic03 - Nov 18, 2023

133 by ItalianChicken »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20

111 by capyvaraw »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 13

96 by capyvaraw »»
Yesterday, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 6

105 by capyvaraw »»
Yesterday, 7:28 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Dec 16, 2023

165 by JSM5421 »»
May 17, 2:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.