Forum Settings
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 2, 2023 10:29 AM

Sep 2017
THIS IS A LIGHT NOVEL ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------

This was the closest we got to the volume 1 levels of writing. And then they cheap-shoted it at the end.

WTF.

Now the volume was interesting in its writing and I bet it could have been done well had it not been hastily concluded.

“I—no, we’re not asking you to pawn off your precious companion.”-Eve

lol i I love the level of double talk she is using. She wants Kraft to pawn off the wolf but she doesn't want it seem like the idea came from her. So if Kraft pawns her off and loses on the deal(which let's be honest, even without the plot shenanigans, seems extremely likely eve is trying to play Kraft for a fool), Kraft has no one to blame.

Lawrence went over Eve’s story again in his head.
It seemed to be entirely consistent. So consistent, in fact, that it made him suspicious.
If it was a lie, it was a good enough one that he almost wouldn’t mind working with her anyway.

Sus. What about the fucking salt. Have you forgotten about the salt????

It was annoying to see Kraft accept the deal without a second thought when the beggar already gave a suspicion alert that Eve was not a statue merchant but a salt merchant and the light novel presents us with the possibility that she could be a smuggler, but Kraft does not explore it. Even before that, Eve's proposition was suspicious when she said that she and Arnold were joint partners who had 80% of the take. It looked heavily like Eve and Arnold set up many of their conversations to manipulate kraft into taking the bait. Kraft thinking this was a one and done deal was soo pitiable to see it was especially naive.

keeping holo as collateral was something, but what kraft did after that directly confronting Eve who would have killed him at any point and taken the money and run, leaving holo there to rot, was particularly sad to see. It is like a detective detective finding out the killer and his motive but deciding to confront the killer head on when he is least prepared to do so and getting fucked by the killer immediately.

Kraft lost so much brain cells. It was lucky that Eve didnt decide to waste him there and gave the deed as promised to Kraft, without which Holo would have been sold. Kraft giving back the deed for holo is no more than an empty gesture when he should have used his merchant skills to stay ahead of Eve tbh. Instead he squandered his profit and came out behind when he didnt have to.

Kraft chose Holo at the end, but in my opinion, he should have done it long before.

I am not happy with the progress of these volumes to be honest. I expected some hardcore economics atleast like Maoyuu Maou Yuusha which explored some good concepts of the medieval ages and the complexities behind war while giving it a fantasy twist,

but spice and wolf on the other hand is bland with no spice. It is just Holo doing some sort of deus ex machina to save Kraft at the end while Kraft barely does any merchant skills of note.
i am more interested in regular trading profits tbh, considering all his get rich quick schemes only work due to some hail mary at the end rather than actual thinking.
only vol 1 had it done well, and that too would have almost flopped on its head due to the ruler's taxation if the head of milone didnt take pity and give him 1000 silver for profits from medio company, which he didnt have to.

Vol 2: smuggling which wouldnt have worked without holo and which makes no good merchant's economic sense
Vol 3: short selling which made some economic sense,(holo saves kraft again)
Vol 4: Holo absolutely saves Kraft due to 11th hour power of quickly growin wheat, and Kraft saves the village only due to "cookies surprise" which just happened to work in that village (What if the neighbouring city didnt want cookies but only simple bread, then they would be fucked)

and now, when kraft somehow escapes due to plot armor from eve who could have killed him and taken the deed with her, when he could have thought of a better idea.

i am fed up with plot armor to solve all ideas. Kraft is nowhere near the schemer in volume 1 when he was able to go toe to toe with Milone trading company head to negotiate Holo's rescue.

I expected that Holo THE WISEWOLF would atleast give some words of wisdom for the merchant and help Kraft mature as a servant. We had a good part of that in vol 1 when Holo chastised Kraft for taking the agreement with Zheren which was completely lopsided in Zheren's favor either way and was easily a scam. But instead of wisewolf, it is just a plot armor wolf.

And what did they say about buying armor in margin in volume 2?????

individually the plot points in the volume make sense and are narrated well (except volume 4, what the fuck was that ). but the way they are hastily strung together without a meaningful conclusion is just too much for me. I wished for Kraft to win over a battle of wits, not a battle of luck where without holo he would have been fucked.

Reason I rant so much at this volume is seeing how close the author was to resolving all those problems, but letting kraft make a stupid ass decision to engage with a possibly deadly enemy instead of thinking his way out. I may read a few volumes after this but I hope this doesnt repeat, and we get some information in return rather than ookami fanservice but who knows.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

More topics from this board

» Ookami to Koushinryou Vol. 4

JeremiahOrange - Nov 2, 2023

1 by TheMangaManiac »»
Mar 8, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Vol. 1

removed-user - Apr 9, 2016

4 by gannoncannon55 »»
Dec 23, 2023 9:42 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Chapter 3 Discussion

TripleSRank - Nov 19, 2015

1 by gannoncannon55 »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:32 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Chapter 2 Discussion

TripleSRank - Nov 17, 2015

3 by gannoncannon55 »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:52 AM

» Ookami to Koushinryou Vol. 6

JeremiahOrange - Nov 6, 2023

0 by JeremiahOrange »»
Nov 6, 2023 5:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.