Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 26, 2023 5:06 AM

Oct 2017
Emotional ending but I'm really happy to finally able to watch this animated. Another great series from Naoki. Just hoping we get 20th century boys anime someday.
Oct 26, 2023 8:03 PM
Jul 2018
I managed to get it done in a day, though technically I had slept between watching episodes. Watched the first two episodes when it dropped at 3:00 AM here, went to sleep, then finished the rest just before 10:00 PM. I'm physically disabled so basically NEET, and did most of my chores beforehand so nothing would get in the way. I planned to watch it in two days or so but ended up being awake late the night of release.

I reread the manga a week before, if you haven't read it I definitely recommend taking your time with the anime and not rushing though as it's a lot to absorb (don't do what I did), I also don't think the anime was as good at spelling things out at parts where it may be confusing, there was a bit less foreshadowing.

That said the last two episodes are sick and were worth the payoff of the buildup. Definitely the parts I was most excited to see, the series just seemed to get better and better as it went on. The grand clashes just looked so flashy and cool. And awww,

I've read some people don't like how it ended in the manga, or that it made a shift towards a more shonen battle thing, but short of disregarding the source material I don't see how it could go much different.
And the final scene where
was probably the most faithful to Tezuka's story. That said I was hoping the anime would give it a little more padding.
Oct 27, 2023 2:09 AM

Apr 2022
despite being my least favorite work of urasawa, glad it got this kinda treatment. solid visuals and osts were nice as well. just wish gesicht and helen got to spend more time together. the fights kinda bored me but most of it was interesting. 8/10 for me which is the same rating i gave the manga because the experience was pretty much the same for me. just gotta start praying for 20th century boys to get an anime someday now. also, netflix being netflix with the batch release but as always, i would've preferred an hour weekly.
Oct 27, 2023 2:43 AM

Jul 2021
Pretty good series, all in all.
Oct 27, 2023 3:16 AM

Apr 2020
Really good. The wait did not disappoint.
Monster is still far better imo though.
8/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Oct 27, 2023 3:59 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Definitely a pleasure seeing this get a proper anime after all these years

While I don't think it's quite on the level of 20th Century Boys it's nevertheless classic Urasawa Naoki writing excellence throughout
Oct 27, 2023 5:57 AM
Sep 2019
What a classic anime. Naoki Urasawa is a goddamn genius and I am glad this adaptation lived up to the hype

Although Netflix's release schedule sucks. I wish there was more online conversation about this wonderful show
Oct 27, 2023 6:03 AM
Mar 2020
This series ended with a bang! Best episode of the series! That's a way to stick the landing.
Oct 27, 2023 6:58 AM

Apr 2015
it is finally over. And it was amazing.

I needed to revisit some of the later parts of the manga to make sure. But they swap some of the events to makes more sense and a better build up. In special the last scene with the stupid teddy bear.

At least for me the anime did a better job explain all the twists, exposition, characters motivations and Gesicht as overall.

I will score this more than the manga, i feel they put a lot of effort into this adaptation. Voice acting and ost our masterpiece.
ScarRufusOct 27, 2023 7:05 AM
Oct 27, 2023 10:46 AM

Oct 2023
8/10

Great direction and story overall. Osts, art quality and animation are also good. Shame fights were very one-sided and almost non-existent "covered" by fog, clouds etc.
Still Monster is better than this imo.
Oct 27, 2023 1:03 PM
Mar 2017
What a f'ing cringefest. Really? You had to go with the hyper cliche overused "FRIENDSHIP AND HEARTS FOREVER" bs? It has never been good and it will never be good. The 70s called. They want their plot back.

I know you started threatening it in episode 5... and then 6... and then you were like "we're really going to do it in 7" and I'm like "don't you dare!" and you f'ing did it. You pulled the trigger. I can't even finish this show. f me you completely ruined it. I'm pretty sure your target audience isn't 9-year olds. Why do this? :|

Also the entire final episode was a trainwreck. It was incredibly rushed because I guess there weren't anymore episodes to do this all in. 50% exposition dump.

Man was enjoying the show but this episode completely ruined it for me. Jeezes. Every kind of bad I hate were present in this show from the tired "look at me I'm the final boss fight" to the bs "let's unite our hearts" to the exposition dumps.. it's like an anime that doesn't know how to end and has a terrible final 3 episodes. Plus all of the pointless side characters that didn't make a whole lot of sense. I guess that's a throwback to Astro Boy and I guess it wasn't "modernized" for a "modern" audience but at the same time the target audience between Astro Boy and this were different... and by different I don't mean the era, I mean the "age" of the audience.
nestharusOct 27, 2023 1:10 PM
Oct 27, 2023 8:57 PM

Oct 2019
as someone who has not read pluto nor know much about astro boy (aside from looking at wiki later on in the show), it was enjoyable ride. Animation did this story wonders. I enjoyed the characters backgrounds and how they were living their lives but this last ep was a doozy. I knew the U.S. was the real baddies in this all but i was trying to figure out who this new teddy bear ai came in from.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Oct 27, 2023 9:40 PM

Aug 2016
Reply to nestharus
What a f'ing cringefest. Really? You had to go with the hyper cliche overused "FRIENDSHIP AND HEARTS FOREVER" bs? It has never been good and it will never be good. The 70s called. They want their plot back.

I know you started threatening it in episode 5... and then 6... and then you were like "we're really going to do it in 7" and I'm like "don't you dare!" and you f'ing did it. You pulled the trigger. I can't even finish this show. f me you completely ruined it. I'm pretty sure your target audience isn't 9-year olds. Why do this? :|

Also the entire final episode was a trainwreck. It was incredibly rushed because I guess there weren't anymore episodes to do this all in. 50% exposition dump.

Man was enjoying the show but this episode completely ruined it for me. Jeezes. Every kind of bad I hate were present in this show from the tired "look at me I'm the final boss fight" to the bs "let's unite our hearts" to the exposition dumps.. it's like an anime that doesn't know how to end and has a terrible final 3 episodes. Plus all of the pointless side characters that didn't make a whole lot of sense. I guess that's a throwback to Astro Boy and I guess it wasn't "modernized" for a "modern" audience but at the same time the target audience between Astro Boy and this were different... and by different I don't mean the era, I mean the "age" of the audience.
nestharus said:
You had to go with the hyper cliche overused "FRIENDSHIP AND HEARTS FOREVER" bs? It has never been good and it will never be good. The 70s called. They want their plot back.

Why isn't it good? What's wrong with that kind of theming?
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Oct 28, 2023 12:36 AM

Mar 2019
"Will there be a day when there is no more hate?"
unfortunately not, Atom.
What a spectacular anime, an incredible story with very well done production, a very melancholic happy ending.
despite being a reimagination, it maintains the essence of the original work, a robot with a heart bigger than that of a human being!
one of, if not the best anime of 2023!

10/10
Oct 28, 2023 1:19 AM
Jan 2020
Thought the ending was a bit abrupt but overall my experience with the anime is a 10/10. Fantastic but definitely lacking in some parts compared to Monster. The only question I have is what that Teddy Bear was?
As Long as the Sun, the moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be alright.
Oct 28, 2023 6:23 AM
Aug 2020
a real masterpiece for me

the last episode was also great

everything was perfect...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 28, 2023 8:13 PM

Jun 2019
Reply to nestharus

@nestharus You're making Atom cry by proving there will always be hate in the world.
If there's no Mickey, this shit ain't Disney.
Oct 29, 2023 6:34 AM
Jan 2021
Ngl i was liking the first 4 -5 episodes after that it downgraded and the last episode was kinda bad actually .
Still liked the gesicht character more than atom .
Still 8.1/10 show but I doubt will ever rewatched that show
Oct 29, 2023 7:20 AM
May 2021
10/10 anime woww it was adapted perfectly!! Emotional ending.
Oct 29, 2023 9:07 AM
Sep 2019
Hideo Kojima also finished the anime and loved it!

https://x.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1718646122661695672?s=20
Oct 29, 2023 9:45 AM
May 2020
Classic storytelling, easy 10
Oct 29, 2023 11:30 AM

Sep 2020
I really enjoyed watching this series but some part are really confusing. 8/10
Oct 29, 2023 12:17 PM
Jul 2017
Reply to EggoGBones
Thought the ending was a bit abrupt but overall my experience with the anime is a 10/10. Fantastic but definitely lacking in some parts compared to Monster. The only question I have is what that Teddy Bear was?
@EggoGBones It's a supercomputer that "advises" the President of the United States... I mean Thracia... and the real villain imo. I've interpreted it as if this individual, feeling threatened by Persia's technological advancements, pulled the strings that led to the war. After the conflict, they support Dr. Abullah-Gooji's revenge plan since it would help them achieve world domination.
Oct 29, 2023 10:00 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to ZER0PT
Really good. The wait did not disappoint.
Monster is still far better imo though.
8/10.
@ZER0PT I agree I think I was disappointed bc I thought it would come close to Monster given that the creators are the same. A solid watch but a bit of a mess from a writing perspective. Story was so incoherent
Oct 30, 2023 1:40 AM

Jul 2021
I still can't believe that Ochanomisu told Tenma to touch grass.
“There are only two types of people in the world--those who became otaku and those who didn't--and the latter just can't understand what the former is so excited about."--Ono Norihiro

Oct 30, 2023 2:04 AM
Sep 2019
Reply to sleekproject
@ZER0PT I agree I think I was disappointed bc I thought it would come close to Monster given that the creators are the same. A solid watch but a bit of a mess from a writing perspective. Story was so incoherent
@sleekproject Monster also has a tremendous amount of plot loopholes and open ended elements throughout its 74 episode run. I’m not really sure what’s the criticism here
Oct 30, 2023 2:27 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to PapaMeatScepter
@sleekproject Monster also has a tremendous amount of plot loopholes and open ended elements throughout its 74 episode run. I’m not really sure what’s the criticism here
@PapaMeatScepter The ending of Monster was stupid ngl.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
KarinaraNov 29, 2023 10:26 AM
Oct 30, 2023 2:39 AM
Sep 2019
Reply to VMPL
@PapaMeatScepter The ending of Monster was stupid ngl.

@VMPL What did you want him to do?

KarinaraNov 29, 2023 10:27 AM
Oct 30, 2023 2:42 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
That was a perfect adaptation of the manga. The ending sequence was animated beautifully. If I had to choose, I think I prefer this anime to the manga and the manga was already in my Top 20. A masterpiece that I will come back to again.

20th Century Boys next please :)
Oct 30, 2023 3:48 AM

Jan 2009
its more clear in the anime that gesicht killed the criminal because it killed his robot child but he knows hate only results to more hate

the cycle of hate might never end but with robots and people like uran and atom that have enough empathy it might be manage somehow

rip pluto or sahad you become a hero in the end

evolution of artificial intelligence needs negative emotions like hate too for emotional intelligence for sure

they even have symbolism about america vs middle east in the story

and an evil artificial intelligence that wants human extinction and is the mastermind of all this

i also like the plot about memory erasures of traumatic memories
Oct 30, 2023 5:31 AM
Apr 2019
Great story overall! 9/10
To be honest it paced better here than the manga. I don't remember Sahad sacrificing himself using anti proton bomb though, surely this is an additional scene. Good work studio M2 now do Billiy bat and 20CB please.
Oct 30, 2023 11:29 PM
Nov 2021
Last episode was fantastic, I had a great experience watching this show and experiencing how truly great Naoki Urasawa is. Really looking forward to checking out his other works in the near future (I know, I am definitely slacking).

Hopefully, Pluto does well enough to where we could see a potential 20th Century Boys (and possibly a Billy Bat) anime adaptation soon!
Oct 31, 2023 12:36 AM

Oct 2013
Nice final episode, wrapping up the whole plot in style and emotions. Poor Sahad... But at least he could find peace and save everyone in the end, using Pluto's power as he wanted to, not as his father's hatred guided it.

Very good show. I'm glad I decided to give it a chance. Truly a solid piece of anime.
Oct 31, 2023 7:08 AM

Jul 2015
From noir thriller seinen to battle shounen real quick. Im gonna pretend that this anime has 7 eps and the villain won

Oct 31, 2023 11:23 AM

Nov 2016
The wait was well worth it. Anime of the year tier for me. The traditional and solid storytelling here is refreshing af in 2023. Netflix did put out some great stuff lately. Would love to see more classics getting an anime adaptation in the future.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 31, 2023 11:32 AM

Nov 2015
Reply to Daniel_Dreiberg
From noir thriller seinen to battle shounen real quick. Im gonna pretend that this anime has 7 eps and the villain won
@Daniel_Dreiberg Well it's based off an arc from Astro Boy, which is a shounen.

Atom/Astro is the og protagonist.

HACKs! 🤢🤮
Oct 31, 2023 5:18 PM

Dec 2008
10/10
AOTY right here
Oct 31, 2023 6:40 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to PapaMeatScepter
@PapaMeatScepter a poorly written story with tonal inconsistencies, pacing issues and an overall contrived feel because the elements weren't built upon properly. Were you awake when watching Monster? It was a masterpiece of writing idk how you can compare the two in terms of quality but ok mate
Oct 31, 2023 10:08 PM

Oct 2020
I loved the storytelling in most of Pluto. It felt like it emulated the best parts of Monster with its introduction of mysteries and slowly building suspense throughout the first few episodes. Though as much as I enjoyed the presentation, I thought the plot itself jumped the shark around Ep 6. At that point, my interest and excitement for this show fell off a cliff. The way the main plot was resolved felt cliche to the point of cheesiness.

I don't think the production team could have fixed the ending unless they got greenlit to make this show 10-12 episodes instead of 8. Aside from the weirdness of the plot which wasn't on them, this was a solid technical adaptation.

And besides, it was still a treat to see Naoki Urasawa's work in anime form again regardless of the fact that I didn't like the ending. The beginning of the show especially came very close to putting me into that eerie headspace that Monster did.
Nov 1, 2023 5:15 AM
Nov 2016
The anime is pretty good, I didn't like the "power of friendship" bullshit at the end but that's what a lot of animes do, they screw the ending up one way or another, I kinda disliked that the robots are "way too human" and this takes away from Atom credibility, he's nothing special compared to them, they all have the same amount (or more) of humans emotions, and Brau-1589 appearing in the end in that condition was silly, how on earth did he get there? even if he was repaired a bit by Dr. Tenma, how ON EARTH did he get there in that condition and with a freaking spear in his body? that was silly, and the power of friendship... please stop.

There are other things I can complain about but I won't since the anime is good and has more pros than cons so I will let it slide and I will end my rant with a rating of:

8/10
Nov 1, 2023 7:22 AM
Jan 2020
Obviously didn't read the OG Astro Boy, but Urasawa definitely switched the tone in the end by making it closer to the original manga that just makes this to suspense/thriller to your typical shonen

Still one of the best anime this year tho
Nov 1, 2023 7:58 AM
Apr 2017
Reply to 64R_
@EggoGBones It's a supercomputer that "advises" the President of the United States... I mean Thracia... and the real villain imo. I've interpreted it as if this individual, feeling threatened by Persia's technological advancements, pulled the strings that led to the war. After the conflict, they support Dr. Abullah-Gooji's revenge plan since it would help them achieve world domination.
@64R_ I did not understand that, how exactly did he support Abullah ? The way the reveal happened made it seem like he plotted the destruction of the 7 robots, but we know it was just Abullah. So what exactly did that teddy and President do ? Even if this part wasn't shoehorned, nothing else would've changed in the story.
Nov 1, 2023 9:18 PM

Nov 2019
Im kinda disappointed with how anti-climatic Atom vs Pluto was. There was so much build-up for it but it failed to create the slightest bit of tension due to how fast and generic it was. The series overall was amazing tho.
Nov 2, 2023 8:03 AM
Sep 2015
Deserved to be seen beyond Netflix streaming service.
Nov 3, 2023 5:48 AM

Dec 2015
best ONA i've seen in a while 9.5/10, Atom going Astro boy is pretty cool
Nov 3, 2023 5:20 PM
Jan 2016
So I guess Atom managed to reach Pluto with his heartfelt plea and the power of friendship™, while Epsilon, who was in the exact same situation a mere episode ago, failed. Main character privileges, I suppose... Oh wait, Atom isn't even the main character, the main character died randomly two episodes ago!

What an utter mess... :(
Nov 3, 2023 8:06 PM

Jan 2009
gesicht can be revive if atom wants too since he has all the memories of gesicht anyway and if the idea that what makes a person is all their memories

but then some people say that the personality is what makes a person more so gesicht personality is dead for sure
Nov 4, 2023 6:25 AM

Oct 2016
Hour long episodes are hard to sit through for me, but other than that it was the aoty for me.
Nov 4, 2023 11:09 AM

Jan 2021
My favorite episode was definitely ep 1 with Noth o2 the best character was detective Gesicht the plot was good Atom played a huge role he carried out everyone’s hope great series

Nov 4, 2023 10:27 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty good title both in magnificent visuals and some pretty good writing (most of the time). But it still bugs me in plenty of key points that do become plotholes when you give some thought about it.

* Why does Gesicht's wife has his memory chip and hands it to Tenma, when his own government always thought of him as a invaluable investment, it's something they should have kept in for future research.
* Gesicht, the sharpest most powerful robot in the world, is killed off by a broken orphan robot with a gun.
* Pluto smashed all of his robot adversaries into pieces, but he left Atom untouched after he fell into coma.
* Out of all the world-wide agents that could become befitting bodyguard for Adolf, Gesicht the most current powerful robot is the one asigned to him.
* Epsilon's love for his children should have earned him the victory over Pluto.
* Brau's role as a crippled wise murdering robot feels awfully contrived, and him escaping from prison to kill off evil AI Teddy Bear is just bollocks.

I'll still give it an 8.5 because it goes beyond other thriller/action shows.

KimurahNov 4, 2023 11:13 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pluto Episode 5 Discussion

ScarRufus - Oct 26, 2023

46 by PrOxAnto »»
May 13, 4:49 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

deg - Oct 26, 2023

194 by PrOxAnto »»
May 11, 7:31 AM

» Lflix 🤡😔 ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 12, 2023

70 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 6, 10:08 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

King_KK - Oct 26, 2023

61 by Ariel0499 »»
Apr 14, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ScarRufus - Oct 26, 2023

79 by Rob7 »»
Apr 11, 7:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.