Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 7, 2023 8:44 AM

Mar 2012
Same old shit about feeling robots. I don't understand why people care so much about the feelings and rights of a piece of non-living metal when they don't give a shit about the rights of living animals. I'm with the culprit here, anyone who advocates for the rights of robots deserves to die. And the episode was so long I was constantly checking for the remaining time because it bored me.
Nov 8, 2023 8:29 AM

May 2021
This dude literally can't write anything bad, huh? The interactions between Paul and North No. 2 were so good but of course, this is a Urasawa work so things ended up the way they did.

I did predict the twist about his mom but it was impactful regardless.

Nov 8, 2023 8:10 PM
Jul 2021
this first episode is a masterpiece, i think there are no words to describe
Nov 12, 2023 1:36 AM
May 2023
masterpiece just peak fiction
Nov 12, 2023 10:50 AM
Oct 2021
wow the amount of detail in this episode was insane! i’m in love with the animation style
Nov 12, 2023 12:50 PM
Feb 2022
Just the North No 2 episode makes this worth 10/10.
Nov 14, 2023 7:51 AM

Dec 2021
well id say its a good start to the series , i plan on reading the manga alongside , i think this shows how the world would work if robots would exist alongside humans when AI gets developed , first we have someone advocating for robot rights and well he gets stomped the f out (i do see that happening someday) but robot rights would only makes sense if AI becomes conscious and knowing that we dont understand human consciousness, its seems like a step too far and of course with the legend urasawa you will have a murder mystery i guess , also this is one is quite interesting considering it deals with robots and shit , and a bunch of references to greek mythology and some christian symbolism as well (the cross at gesichts face at the start when he shat his pants after his dream and the biblical stories in the church which reflects well to the current situation) i wont say im too happy about these references tho...But coming to the old guy and his butler , it was quite boring at the start but as soon as the backstory started i pulled my socks up and it reminded me of those monster backstories , it became quite emotional and the butler keeps reminding me of griffith , gesicht reminds me of lunge from monster , strange thing tho is that lunge seems more of AI than mr gesicht himself who is a robot!. The music old guy seems very hateful of robots which is understandable and his hate comes from the fact that theyre too powerful and music should be done by a human mind considering its fallibility , its a nice psychological touch and he gets attached to the goofy robot butler after his nostalgic reminder of the cumming he did with his mother (i meant humming man , shit). Overall an amazing episode i would say.....ended too quickly considering its duration
vinnywizanimeJan 27, 11:07 AM
Nov 16, 2023 4:38 PM
Oct 2020
Masterpiece, very very great
Nov 16, 2023 8:35 PM

Jan 2021
Wow Urasawa always starts the stories STRONG

And the best part?

I keeps getting better all time

Nov 18, 2023 12:02 PM

Jan 2021
If the rest of the series maintains this quality, this is going straight to the pantheon.
Nov 18, 2023 11:11 PM

May 2015
Magnificent, that's all I have to say
Nov 19, 2023 1:47 AM
Aug 2018
Absolutely amazing first episode. I am instantly hooked. The strong emotional curveballs this one episode throws at you are amazing.
Nov 19, 2023 4:07 AM
Sep 2014
NORTH NUMBA TWOOOOOOOOOOO
Nov 22, 2023 7:48 PM
Oct 2021
pacing very fuckers
Nov 23, 2023 3:23 PM

Jul 2017
Finally starting this series and given the length and density of stuff that this series offers, going one a day seems perfect rather than binging it all. Despite being dense, the production was mostly great and the content was captivating to watch, especially with Duncan and North No. 2. I think that an Urasawa series that is 8-long episodes has potential. I thought Monster was really good but felt way too bloated and the ending didn't deliver so hopefully this anime can make up for that. This was a very good premiere as a whole, and feels very refreshing in a way compared to what has been releasing over the last few years. The anime got delayed for a very long time but if it is for production like this, might be worth it.
Nov 27, 2023 10:58 AM
Nov 2020
Was a solid first episode
Nov 28, 2023 7:54 AM
Mar 2020
Took me by a surprise,really amazing first episode
Nov 28, 2023 11:25 AM
Oct 2023
It introduces Gesichi really well, and the story about North Number 2 was very good
Nov 28, 2023 11:05 PM

Jul 2017
In a futuristic coexistence of humans and robots, the narrative unfolds with a curious exploration of the human experience from the robotic perspective. Despite some apparent inconsistencies in world-building, the narrative compensates with its captivating animation and meticulous sound design. A notable event involves a Swiss robot playing a pivotal role in achieving peace in Asia.

The storyline introduces the concept of robot prisoners, equipped with intriguing gun hands, utilized to decipher the motives of other robotic criminals while maintaining their physical forms. The presence of cape-wearing robots and venerable old man robot professors adds a classic touch to this advanced world. An interesting contrast emerges as the musical instruments remain unchanged from the present era, emphasizing the integration of past and future elements in the narrative.

While the robots serve as compelling set dressing, the underlying stories are reflective of traditional, high-quality narratives. The substitution of humans for robots would not diminish the depth of these tales, emphasizing the universality of the human experience. Themes of familial bonds, intricate emotions, and the unlikely camaraderie between a robot and an elderly man contribute to the richness of the narrative.

Amidst the backdrop of a futuristic world, the story occasionally diverges into reflections on the significance of mothers, the complexity of emotions, and the poignant connection between a robotic character and an elderly man. The central focus, however, returns to the overarching plot of robots engaged in conflict, presented in one-hour episodes that deliver a mix of emotions, including moments of sadness and profound loss.

A noteworthy element in the narrative is the introduction of a character, a child named Adam, clad in a distinctive yellow raincoat, accompanied by a commendable soundtrack that enhances the overall viewing experience. In summary, this futuristic tale, despite its occasional lapses in world-building, offers a compelling blend of traditional storytelling elements, emotional depth, and visually engaging animation, underscored by a memorable soundtrack.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hey there

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 1, 2023 9:11 PM
Jan 2019
Finally, a Naoki anime and one of my favorites of his
Dec 1, 2023 11:03 PM
Apr 2020
North 2 !!! 😭😭😭
Dec 2, 2023 4:19 AM

Jul 2013
So far the score is justified. Not really that familiar with Astro Boy
Dec 2, 2023 7:58 PM
Nov 2020
this made me bawl my eyes out TWICE. Wow, incredible
Dec 4, 2023 7:24 AM

Jul 2021
Sir Duncan and North No.2 had a really special relationship that was both wonderful and heartbreaking. They became really close friends, but then something really sad happened. Duncan had to be left all by himself in a huge castle, and North No.2, who didn't want to fight anymore, was forced into battle and ended up dying. It's just really, really sad and feels incredibly unfair.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Dec 6, 2023 7:11 PM

Oct 2017
What a masterpiece.
Dec 7, 2023 11:19 AM

Apr 2015
Okay so going totally blind , Time to watch this and see what its all about!
Enjoyed the first episode, Gesicht is really badass!
Dec 8, 2023 11:26 PM
Jun 2021
Stop singing North No.2, you need to practice piano with Master Duncan. Stop North No.2, stop.
Dec 21, 2023 11:26 AM
May 2021
.......................................................................................................
Jan 6, 2:35 PM

Jul 2016
Nothing much to say about this first episode. Intriguing first half with the presentation of the murder cases but boring second half with the old man's storyline that lasted longer than necessary. 3/5
Jan 14, 5:43 PM
Jul 2017
great first ep to build suspense and introduce us to the world
Jan 15, 1:03 PM
Jan 2024
the song from this episode stuck with me until now
Jan 16, 9:18 PM

Jul 2021
What a breath of fresh air, but ironically because the show feels extremely old-fashioned and melodramatic. I'm surprised the comments here are almost universally positive.

I haven't watched a lot of "old" anime, but the storytelling style reminded me of Galaxy Express 999 for some reason. In both good and bad ways.

Also, maybe I'm too used to watching 25-minute episodes, but it felt like the episode dragged a bit, especially the composer's half. I kept wondering why I was suddenly spending so much time with this character.

It looks, moves, and sounds amazing, though.

I appreciate the fact that this feels so different and has its own style and pace, so I'll try to adjust and keep going.
Jan 19, 10:07 PM

Jan 2009
This is definitely giving those Monster vibes, just with a different setting. With Monster being one of my all time favorite masterpieces, I'm looking forward to continuing this one.
Jan 20, 5:17 AM

Jan 2011
Okay this is pretty fucking good.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jan 23, 4:32 PM

Sep 2017
That was a great start. We spent a lot of time with the composer side character who, on the surface, may have just been used to showcase the killer (presumably Pluto) killing another of these hyper intelligent robots. I'm guessing that Number 2 here would have been one of the 6 other robots that the first killer robot was referring two. Mont Blanc would have been the 7th I suppose and I believe it was worded such that our MC was not included in that count. Anyway not super important details. Knowing Monster though, I wouldn't be surprised if our composer comes back in some way in the story or perhaps even North #2 is not dead. I think the latter is pretty unlikely though.
Jan 30, 8:02 PM
Aug 2020
this episode was absurd, you can tell how much love was put into this, I was literally entranced the whole second part of the episode, cannot wait to see more
Feb 12, 2:24 PM

Jul 2014
Spectacular. Might be one of the best first episodes of a recent anime I've seen. I picked a fantastic time to get back into the medium because holy shit I've been eating good with all this amazing new stuff.
Take care of yourself

Feb 20, 4:43 PM

Jul 2019
This episode emotionally destroyed me. I don't think I've ever cried so much during an anime episode. 10/10
Feb 26, 9:06 PM
Dec 2022
Haven't watched a lot of Monster yet, but W more Urasawa content I love his artstyle so much Didn't know the episodes would be an hour long
Europol detective Gesicht, something malicious happened Gesicht is also a robot
A robot killed a human again, even though they aren't allowed too. A very famous robot named Mont Blanc also died, did they both get killed by the same murderer
Brau1589 was the first robot to kill a human, it happend 8 years ago

Paul Duncan, a blind musician and his robot butler North #2 North just wanted to learn how to play the piano. Paul got mad at North for playing on his piano and eventually made him leave. The part where Paul remembered what North had played for him and the improvements he suggested was actually sad asf
North came back and told Paul that his mother didn't abandon him and was looking for a cure, that was actually so sad BROOOO
Nah and then when he started singing the song he used to sing with his mother 😭😭😭
Let's practice the piano 😭😭 Paul all the sudden seemed so happy I freaking loved this
North detected a threat and went to go fight it, and dies. Paul couldn't tell 😭

A boy named Atom

Ok looks like I am watching this whole show, it is already really good. That Paul and North story didn't have to go so hard omfg
Mar 16, 9:32 AM

Sep 2020
"Errmmm your mother who left you and caused you pain and suffering was actually just trying to get money for your treatment (for some reason she couldn't do this without leaving you btw), she never really left you. Also your nightmare where your mother leaves you isn't actually a nightmare, only I have real nightmares!"

Why did this make him start liking the robot? Shit makes no sense. It's abuse apologism with a healthy dose of gaslighting.
Mar 28, 12:12 PM
Jun 2021
the side story with paul duncan and north no 2 was just breath-taking
Apr 2, 4:06 PM
May 2022
Black Jack’s the one that cured Paul’s eyes probably.
Apr 5, 3:22 PM
Mar 2024
Incredible.

What a riveting experience from start to finish;

An emotional roller-coaster, one for which I shall not forget for a while.

I am looking forward to seeing what comes next.
Apr 28, 1:42 AM

Oct 2007
tried it, but dropped. Animation is good, but the drama feels forced, and it became boring that it's not worth sympathizing with the characters. I still prefer the 2003 version of Pluto.
May 11, 7:31 AM

Jan 2013
Fantastic start.

Loved the story between the old man and North No. 2.
It was interesting to see how the old man was looking for that specific music which ended up being one of his childhood memory.
And then to learn that his mother didn't actually abandon him but instead did everything to save him ...

We've seen a lot of media portraying the possibility of AI / Robots being conscious but this anime feels fresh even if it tackles the same subjects.

Also the art is just great, beautiful scenery.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pluto Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MegamiRem - Oct 26, 2023

124 by PrOxAnto »»
May 14, 2:20 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 5 Discussion

ScarRufus - Oct 26, 2023

46 by PrOxAnto »»
May 13, 4:49 PM

» Lflix 🤡😔 ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 12, 2023

70 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 6, 10:08 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

King_KK - Oct 26, 2023

61 by Ariel0499 »»
Apr 14, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ScarRufus - Oct 26, 2023

79 by Rob7 »»
Apr 11, 7:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.