Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 28, 2010 11:12 PM

Apr 2008
Otonashi died before he got saved o-olll thats pretty sad .. most likely is cause of his injury

May 28, 2010 11:29 PM

Nov 2008
Well, that sucked for Brotanashi, however, it just blows the "coma" theory out of the water.

I wonder if we will get Yui's story next episode.
May 28, 2010 11:36 PM

Jul 2008
We are really on a one-way ticket to bittersweet end here. I guess I approve.
May 28, 2010 11:37 PM

Feb 2010
This episode is absolutely fantastic.
Sad thing about it is, like everyone has been saying, is that he died right before the help arrived.
May 28, 2010 11:43 PM

May 2010
tazillo said:
KyonzumiNagato13 said:
tazillo said:
Yes! Finally, an episode where most of it is drama and it's not interrupted by any comedy moments. I think that if the previous episodes of Angel Beats focussed more on the drama the whole series would have been much better.

Back to this ep, I thought for a moment there that Otonashi would disappear because he had no more regrets left... But the reason he doesn't is so that he can help Kanade out? Also, I'm liking Kanade a lot more now that she's talking a lot and showing emotion lol. Agree that the rescue team took too long, cuz surely it would have been strange that the train did not arrive at the next station on schedule.

It feels kinda weird that Otonashi only now realises what we already know since Iwasawa disappeared: that Kanade wanted everyone to have a normal school life and then disappear with no regrets. I don't really understand, did the SSS think that she just wanted to attack them or something?

They are fighting for all the things that they believe that God made their life unreasonable. That's why they're fighting against Ms. Tachibana, which they thought and maybe still think is a representative of God or something. That's why they said that she must be erased so that they will have that world for themselves, which can't happen because she's human too. So everything is a stalemate between beliefs right now...

And Otonashi seems to be the one caught in the middle.

Ah right, I see. Thanks. That really is one big misunderstanding as Otonashi said.
Even so, Yuri and the SSS probably won't take too well to Otonashi's attempt to get them to accept their lives and move on (as that's why they're fighting in the first place). They may even see it as a betrayal, and it could turn into a battle in the end...

That's why this anime is so interesting... It leaves so many cliffhangers, even after the episode preview, which leaves a large cliffhanger as it is... Maybe they're going to make a second season to further explain everything.
"I don't need a reason to save someone"

Kamijou Touma
May 28, 2010 11:48 PM

Apr 2010
Shinrin said:
I'm no doctor by any means, but Otonashi must have had some serious internal bleeding (judging from him coughing up blood and the huge blood colored spot on his stomach), and probably damaged his intestines, because that dark spot was about the area your greater omentum is, which probably got tore open inside him and spread an infection.

Really, that sounds like he was one of the ones in the most pain, but he sacrificed everything he had for those people. Amazing how he made such a huge personality change from a selfish self-obsessed child to an all out caring guy that pretty much gave up his life for all those people by not asking for extra supplies or killing morale with their leader being in that kind of position.

(I do not blame those that say TLDNR)

Agreed. I have a completely diffferent view on Yuzuru's personality.

What took the stupid rescue team so long?! I mean did they not notice that a train didnt make it to the next station? Even if it was the next day, 7 days passed until they finally got the survivors out... ridiculous.

Man what a tear jerker. 5/5 hands down ^ ^
May 28, 2010 11:53 PM
Apr 2010
Ah well. It's so late in this series, but I'll be dropping it.

I said from the beginning that I'm not interested in a drama, and I gave it a chance up until now, but it's proved itself to be just that.

Unfortunately, I have the same feelings I had from the 3rd episode until now.

It's been a great ride. b^_^d
May 28, 2010 11:58 PM

Jul 2009
This episode was great, it was very interesting get to know how Otonashi died.
He was a true hero T_T

So i'm looking forward to 4 great last episodes of this season.
Hope we could see more "Yuri-things" (xD) and maybe a second season.

May 29, 2010 12:00 AM

Apr 2010
This episode was great....
it show true reason why kanade fight with them.....
And develop stories how otonashi realy died......

^_^
Kanade moe.......

May 29, 2010 12:02 AM
Feb 2009
omg pretty sad ep, and Kanade and Otonasshi working together secretly o.0
May 29, 2010 12:05 AM

Nov 2006
Sad. Whatever happens now, I just want it to work out for Hinata.
May 29, 2010 12:12 AM

Jan 2009
First, Tenshi~ ^_____^ I was probably like "Kyaaaaaa~" when Tenshi was lying there, unconscious~ How very unmanly and otaku-ish of me ^^;
And.. Shiina talked!? xD

Funny how none of them in the tunnel even came up with the idea of trying to move a few rocks.
And funny how Otonashi's the only one who died.

Tl;dr Tenshi~ <3
Goodbye Days is a pretty good song btw~
Also, lol

The dude totally looks like Makoto xD
OosranMay 29, 2010 12:16 AM
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
May 29, 2010 12:22 AM

Aug 2008
@ The "Why didn't the rescue team get their earlier".
Don't any of you ever watch the news? And did you SEE HOW MUCH RUBBLE THERE WAS? We have no idea what actually happened. But it was major.
For whatever reason it just takes time...I'm not sure if you've ever followed real world accidents like that, such as saying a mine collapsing. But it usually does take roughly a week to get to survivors.
I know it's BS, and I even wonder why they can't just "blow it up", but if seems they just can not do that.

Too much of chance of stuff falling, gas leaks, another collapse, the lifes of the rescue squad (If the rescue team dies/get's stuck, then who saves you and them?), etc. It sucks, but it's true.
Also, we do not know the extent of the damage above the surface or on the other side of the wall. Or what caused it, or if there were more accidents. Who knows.

Honestly, rescue operations do take that long in the real world, usually 3-10 days. And by most times....most of the people are usually dead after day 5 or so. Just how it works, watch the news more, i've seen 4+ incidents like these that I just happened to actually read/hear about in the past 3 years.

First half of this episode was just too sad, I almost couldn't bare it.
What an end to meet :(.

Kanade couldn't have been any cuter. her moe factor was over 9000 this episode! I nearly died!!!

This anime is taking a turn now I did not suspect.
What if everyone doesn't want to disappear?
Well these plot twist/story development is quite good

garfield15 said:
GODDAMN SLOW-ASS RESCUE TEAMS! (even if the "rescue at the last minute while main hero dies" thing is kind of overplayed, it always gets to me)

-The entire train scene was almost like a completely different anime. I actually liked it because I figured "Otanashi dies in a train crash" just seemed kind of cheap for such a main character. It makes sense that it would be something that really suits him like taking on the role of Jack from LOST like saving people. I bet if that asshole hadn't stolen the water he would have lived. Where did that jerk think he was going anyway? Both sides were blocked.

-OtonashiXKaede moments are just so sweet.

-This sort of "let's maneuver around Yuri" thing is giving me Death Note vibes but in a good way not a "I'll be the new god" way.

-So how are they going to cover the pasts of all the SSS in 4 episodes? Looks like from the last sentence of the preview, Yui's up first. (Oh god, if TK disappears, it's gonna SUCK!)

I too have to admit, this show has gone in a completely different direction than I thought. Now the tagline of "The greatest story celebrating life" in the PV makes more sense.

Agreed, lol. And IDK where that dumb @$$ thought he was going with the water, to hide it maybe? Fail.

A very nice slow paced episode, felt good, and I agree, it felt completely different.

Also, for once, I have to agree the humor failed this episode. I use to love it, and would bust up, but we are so far into the series now it's time for things to get serious, and for the humor to stop. Except for the maybe "Are you..." joke ;).

Now I am wondering, what is Angel's past? What will make her disappear?

I really am filling this show is pushed for time. I would be deeply disappointed if they rushed it. They've cute it close with some episodes, but longer played out one's like this week's was, are far better for this series.

DuskGolem said:
I think they tried to elude the ultimate clue here.

You know how we all assumed Otonashi died in the Train Wreck? I think this is another case of that. We, and Otonashi, assumed he died right then. But if he did, then how come he has a memory of the rescue team coming?

More so, they haven't showed how anyone else died. Hinata, Yuri, Iwasawa... Iwasawa we got close to seeing dead, but she was in a hospital and lost the will to live. We're told, "And then I died" but this shows her at the hospital, and it seems abrupt. She lost the will to live but you don't just die by loosing the will to live in a hospital.

I think all of them, the reason why it's specifically kids, they've somehow been selected for some kind of testing. The fact the whole place seems like a video game; I mean they can die without dying, there are soulless "NPCs" who all act like real students, the school setting, the ability to create things out of dirt into something else, the lack of anything spiritual in the world, even Angel's computer system style... This all seems like man made stuff, not the work of a god or something spiritual. They may be in some weird kind of experimental virtual world. I can't pinpoint this as the definite answer, but this all seems more like the work of some outside force than god or spiritual force.

I agree with this. I am leaning more towards the "Being in a comma state" type idea now.
May 29, 2010 12:23 AM

Apr 2010
I was hoping for more of a dramatic Otonashi x Kanade hospital scene since last episode.. Like Kanade screaming in pain the whole time while Otonashi at her side holds her hands, calling out her name telling her to not give up or something.. Then Kanade waking up when Otonashi fell asleep while still holding her hands.. But, oh well, still love the scene in the episode.. XD

I really didn't expect Otonashi's story to have a part 2, but really great that it didn't end when the train crashed.. Otonashi's really a great guy!! Though now I started to wonder, how did he get amnesia when he came to that world if he didn't bump his head or something before he died??

I really wish there are more episodes for this series, I'm just hoping now that they will do a great job fitting all the story in last 4 episodes while not making it seem to crammed..
May 29, 2010 12:49 AM
May 2010
^

I disagree, I'm glad they didn't overplay the hospital scene. Though I do admit there should have been something a little more, uh, "involving"... I don't think should have had a whole teary situation with the cliche "Do not give up, I'm here for you!" line.
May 29, 2010 1:01 AM

Jan 2010
Hmmm...
If you watched Clannad you would know that Fuko, one of the main characters, was unconcious in a coma- like being brain dead- in the series. It was just her soul that was roaming the world.

So....

Does this mean the same for Angel Beats? It is possible. Otonashi might have not died, but was brain dead and in a coma. Iwasawa was last seen on her bed in the hospital. She might have had a coma or brain death like the others. Same for Hinata, maybe the drugs put his conscious to sleep, but he is actually still alive. Maybe the same for Yuri and all the other members of the SSS. Maybe this world is for people who are in a coma, or something like that.
And now: Maybe Kanade is Hatsune. Hatsune said when she was alive that she wanted to make friends and, basically, help others. So, maybe she was put into a coma or something and became Tenshi.
Maybe, I'm just guessing.... I can't wait till next week :'D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2010 1:05 AM

Aug 2009
Kurimu-chan said:
Hmmm...
If you watched Clannad you would know that Fuko, one of the main characters, was unconcious in a coma- like being brain dead- in the series. It was just her soul that was roaming the world.

So....

Does this mean the same for Angel Beats? It is possible. Otonashi might have not died, but was brain dead and in a coma. Iwasawa was last seen on her bed in the hospital. She might have had a coma or brain death like the others. Same for Hinata, maybe the drugs put his conscious to sleep, but he is actually still alive. Maybe the same for Yuri and all the other members of the SSS. Maybe this world is for people who are in a coma, or something like that.
And now: Maybe Kanade is Hatsune. Hatsune said when she was alive that she wanted to make friends and, basically, help others. So, maybe she was put into a coma or something and became Tenshi.
Maybe, I'm just guessing.... I can't wait till next week :'D

Very interesting theory, but who the f is Hatsune? xD
May 29, 2010 1:07 AM

Jan 2009
Kurimu-chan said:
A big flaw there though.
Everyone, except for Tenshi (if this would indeed be the case), looks like they did before dying/falling into coma, so why would Tenshi look different?
Edit: Oh and also, since she actually said her name's Tachibana Kanade, doesn't that kind of mean that it's her name, as in the name she had in life? (All of them others do have their real names, don't they?
And besides, we've pretty much got it comfirmed that Hatsune did actually die.
Gamer4life said:
but who the f is Hatsune? xD
Otonashi's lil' sister. : p

(Oh and yeah, I still refer to Tenshi as Tenshi, because.. She's Tenshi after all~ <3
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
May 29, 2010 1:23 AM
Mar 2010
best episode so far imo, it really moved me
furthermore the song in the last part of the flashback is fantastic
Araragi93May 29, 2010 1:32 AM
May 29, 2010 1:42 AM

Jul 2008
Willing to bet that an organ from Otonashi gets donated to someone (Yuri or Kanade) and instead of being rejected (it's possible since it IS a foreign object trying to enter one's body...) it gets accepted (with the initial rejection still in place, it would always happen). lol And that's how it will end eventually.
May 29, 2010 1:51 AM

Oct 2008
Shia-Neko-Chan - don't spill more of your bull**** please.

Great series, great episode, great story.

PURE WIN!
May 29, 2010 2:03 AM

Jul 2009
Have to agree this was one of the best episodes so far from Angel Beats... Whole anime makes me kind of think about my own life =0 . The twist made the story again the way it makes you wish the next episode came sooner...

But tsh... It'd be just so much better if there was 2nd season just like with many other recent animes >.< . I still wonder how he wants to make them all disappear? Yuri will be most probably the hardest to get and with that I think that Otonashi will be the very last to disappear, because you see, he won't feel satisfied until everybody including Kanade will disappear... Thinking about this makes me feel sad, darn it. Why does such a great anime have so few episodes? *slams his head*

~ I'm a nightmare that can heal or destroy. The rest is up to you ~
May 29, 2010 2:03 AM

Apr 2010
this is slowly become one of the best animes i have ever seen. i love kanade she is sooo cute. and yuzuru is becoming a double agent with the SSS and Angel. this is getting really good. i hoping with all my power that yuzuru and kanade get together at the end. AND THERE BETTER BE A SECOND SEASON!!!!!
May 29, 2010 2:08 AM

Jan 2009
Wolferion said:
But tsh... It'd be just so much better if there was 2nd season just like with many other recent animes >.< . I still wonder how he wants to make them all disappear? Yuri will be most probably the hardest to get and with that I think that Otonashi will be the very last to disappear, because you see, he won't feel satisfied until everybody including Kanade will disappear... Thinking about this makes me feel sad, darn it. Why does such a great anime have so few episodes? *slams his head*
They could like.. Cancel the rest of K-ON!! and transfer the screentime to Angel Beats! instead~ (Or cancel any other of the 13+ episode series that clearly don't need more than 12-13 episodes)
May 29, 2010 2:17 AM

Mar 2008
Transplanting my theory from the "Quick Question" thread:

Foton said:
My theory is that this purgatory is reserved only for those that died without accomplishing their goal or have regrets from their past life.

Remember that Iwasawa passed away after realizing her true dream. I'm assuming that Otonashi's sister does not get sent here because her dream of being with her big brother is fulfilled before she died. Also, from what Yuri said, nobody that dies because of suicide is here, so this may also mean that whomever died of their own volition or that died without any regrets will skip this phase of purgatory.

Recall that almost all people here have some grievances from their past life; Yuri, Iwasawa, Otonashi, Naoi, and Hinata all have dissatisfactions and they died before being able to rectify it. This world seems to be made for people to either accept their fate (that is, blending with the school is accepting fate) or to pursue their dreams/finishing what they wanted to do before moving on (again, Iwasawa and almost Hinata).

I knew it. This episode just proves it. With this episode, Key has epically delivered, and this series will have 4 episodes to be even more epic.
May 29, 2010 2:25 AM

Dec 2009
Wow , poor Otonashi really had hard luck...
May 29, 2010 2:36 AM
May 2010
. But then again they might pull a fast one on us and have him wake up in a hospital only to find out his sister gave her kidney to him and died right after. This would give a bitter sweet ending to the show.

xD remember her sister died already... because of that he decided to become a doctor.....

and what is confusing me its like remember hatsune said itll be okay if there is a donor? xD why didnt otonashi donate what's needed for her sister... or it should have been explained what kind of donor or what should be donated for her sister...xD

still tears keep falling when im watching this episode.. >T_T<
May 29, 2010 2:49 AM

May 2010
Yeah .. it's getting more and more interesting !
After watching the first episode .. I knew that this anime will exceed everybody's expectations ! After all it's Jun Maeda !

About the episode : Otonashi might be considered a traitor in the next few episodes ! But what's more interesting ...what is he going to do after he erases everybody !?

There is another posibility that he may fail ! I doubt that Kanade can fight anymore ! If you remember ...Yuri sent that freaking Hacker to edit something in her program !

So it remains to be seen ! This anime isn't that foreseeable !
tEnSh1May 29, 2010 2:57 AM
May 29, 2010 3:31 AM

Apr 2010
I won't lie, Otonashi with long hair is gar.

I have a feeling that he is "god" or maybe a new tenshi. Otherwise it seems he should have disappeared in this episode.
May 29, 2010 3:33 AM

May 2010
how nice... from episode 5 till 9 this anime has been very interesting....
May 29, 2010 3:50 AM

Oct 2009
Shit... that was omg.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2010 3:53 AM

Apr 2009
windy said:
Sad. Whatever happens now, I just want it to work out for Hinata.
Indeed. Yui has already cock-blocked him enough as it is.
May 29, 2010 3:57 AM

Aug 2008
1 out of 5

The worst cheap drama I've ever seen in all my life (in particular the scene were everyone is so concerned about donating their own organs was PAIN).
May 29, 2010 4:05 AM

Mar 2009
otonashi survived ONE WEEK with a splenic haemorrhagem and meanwhile he managed to help the other people involved in the accident... come on!
May 29, 2010 4:11 AM

May 2010
Ukyo9 said:
1 out of 5

The worst cheap drama I've ever seen in all my life (in particular the scene were everyone is so concerned about donating their own organs was PAIN).

Lol, i liked that scene though....
May 29, 2010 4:25 AM

Feb 2009
Angel Beats is serious business now, huh...

Great episode now the polls really reflect the opinion of the people here unlike last episode. Glad there wasn't comedy to ruin the mood.

7 days trapped in there, that's hard. Typical for Otonashi to die right after they get rescued but it was a really sad moment.

Kanade patting Otonashi's head and touching his face was HHHNNGGG!! More KanadexOtonashi moments is great for me.

So that's what that world was about. And Otonashi helping to make everyone disappear? Didn't see that coming...
May 29, 2010 4:38 AM

Sep 2009
aw snap, Otonashi u playah!
May 29, 2010 4:40 AM
Jan 2008
I feel bad for the people who watch this thinking it's Haruhi all over again...when it's a Key work, and you should be looking at Kanon, Clannad or Air as your basis of selection...

A+++++++ PRODUCT DELIVERED AS PROMISED WOULD SHOP AGAIN
May 29, 2010 4:52 AM

May 2009
It was a great episode. I hope the series wil bel finished with an happy and, just like Kanon and Clannad.

Also, I think Otonashi is the god of this world too. God made the world in 6 days, and rested in the seventh. Otonashi took care of the injured for 6 days, then rested on the 7th and died.
May 29, 2010 5:27 AM

Jan 2009
belatkuro said:
Typical for Otonashi to die right after they get rescued but it was a really sad moment.
Just before they get rescued mind you~ 8D
May 29, 2010 5:30 AM

May 2010
viral_hun said:
It was a great episode. I hope the series wil bel finished with an happy and, just like Kanon and Clannad.

Also, I think Otonashi is the god of this world too. God made the world in 6 days, and rested in the seventh. Otonashi took care of the injured for 6 days, then rested on the 7th and died.

Good theory... I dig it, but it doesn't seems like Maeda thought so faar =D
May 29, 2010 5:31 AM

Aug 2009
viral_hun said:

Hey, now. That's an analogy I didn't think about.
May 29, 2010 5:34 AM

May 2010
Damn, next episode, I think Yui will disappear.. How come always my favorite characters..
May 29, 2010 5:46 AM

May 2010
Damn! Only 4 episodes left and plot turn in interesting way now... and what is that Otonashi regret for real?

in this episode, you will die horribly... *laughs just as shion*
lightness vs. darkness
Nani mo kamo wo hoshigatteita Mayoeru mono no chikai
Mada miru sekai o tsukuridasu koto Kuchi hateteiku
May 29, 2010 5:47 AM

Jun 2009
Uwah..I really like this episode. Another piece of Otonashi memories. So? why did he have an amnesia in the beginning of the series?

A lot of Kanade and Otonashi. She's so moe^^
I wanna know more about Yurripe:D

May 29, 2010 5:47 AM

Jan 2009
nice episode its like a survival episode XD
May 29, 2010 5:49 AM
Feb 2010
Story keeps changing focus, from rebelling against God-> fighting Angel, fighting Naoi, befriending Angel etc.

And Otonashi was propped up to be main character right from the start, but without much reason why. It just seems like chance he's always directly involved in some stuff.

Good character development about Otonashi. Again. Now we know how 'godly' he is. Lol.
May 29, 2010 6:02 AM

May 2010
Why did Otonashi even entered this world in the first place... He had nothing to regret, instead he should be proud, he died proudly with honor and pride... But maybe he came to this world because he could not fulfill his wish, no one thanked him concretely or directly. In this world, maybe "god" wanted him to feel proud while conscious and "god" maybe also wanted him to kind of help Kanade to save everyone in SSS since life is so much better without regrets...
May 29, 2010 6:09 AM

Oct 2009
"Daylight", with Sylvester Stallone, minus all the action.
Slow japanese rescue team is slow. Seriously, it took them A WHOLE WEEK to get to the survivors ? They could have just made a hole from ABOVE to get to them if there was so much debris at both ends of the tunnel.
Didn't care much for Otonashi's drama. I just want a good ending for Kanade. Damn, she's cute.
May 29, 2010 6:33 AM

Apr 2009
SurferDude said:
"Daylight", with Sylvester Stallone, minus all the action.
Slow japanese rescue team is slow. Seriously, it took them A WHOLE WEEK to get to the survivors ? They could have just made a hole from ABOVE to get to them if there was so much debris at both ends of the tunnel.
Didn't care much for Otonashi's drama. I just want a good ending for Kanade. Damn, she's cute.
Ironically, they're trying to be as realistic as possible in mortal world happenings (though a bit inconsistently). If you try to make a path directly above, there is a dangerously close to 100% chance that you'll kill the people below.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 2, 2010

677 by copypasterCPS »»
Yesterday, 11:31 AM

» Explanation

Vapor_AU - Apr 27

17 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
Apr 29, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

388 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.