Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Returner's Magic Should be Special
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 7, 2023 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
They weren't kidding about the way magic is used in this show. First 5 minutes had a lot of magic usage featuring a variety of cast members including Dir. The animation quality looks average but I guess they made it serious enough to make the premise feel credible.

Also kinda curious about the setting of this anime...the desolate world and ruins gives this anime a rough feel. In a more modern time, there's school, students, etc. Nothing too flashy there. Still, this episode did have a momentum.
Oct 7, 2023 8:30 AM

Jul 2017
I'm surprised that Aniplex chose to license South Korean manhwa author Usonan's Kakao Webtoon manga, of which this is the prequel to next season's Solo Leveling as far as Aniplex is concerned.

The usual fight between a hero party and a demon lord boss, the atrocity that the dragon has to be animated in CGI. It stars and ends the same way like in SAO where the heroes want out once the world is saved by being "cleared" from the Shadow Worlds, this is the objective of Desir Herrman and his team of 6 comrades who have fought hard and looking toward to see ends meet. But the lingering fact is that the dragon is still alive, and this should've been impossible, thanks to the dragon heart which stored up massive mana to blow all of them away. It's a shame...

Desir finding himself alive, but back into Hebrion Academy where its headmaster of Professor Brigitte wants its students to clear a Shadow World as a test of enrollment. The view of the Academy as Desir remembered, he remembers them all, and is greeted by 2nd Year Ladoria Doriche to be his mentor in the Academy that splits between royalty and commoners. Of course, what's an academy that's no short of bulllies, and one Elheim puts his brakes on Ladoria just to prove his point...which fires Ladoria that Desir must pass the entrance exam. And in the meeting place, Despir finds Eve Romantica, the girl who died in his arms, all he knows that he needs not that history to repeat itself once more.

Oh god, how many time travel series we have this season? No matter Japanese manga or South Korean mahwa, it just looks one and the same.
KANLen09Oct 14, 2023 7:25 AM
Oct 7, 2023 10:43 AM

Nov 2016
Ok, I get it that time travel anime are all the rage right now. But I dunno about this one. Unlike let's say Re:Zero or Summertime Render it lacked the x factor to get me hooked.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 7, 2023 10:57 AM

Oct 2013
I loved the source, but the animation and director definitely didn't make this first episode all that appealing as an anime. I think it will improve in popularity if people stick with it, as many highlights are coming. I guess it really depends on how they do episode 2, that first test is still in my memory after reading the series years ago. I also worry that the pacing is too slow if they really want to conclude that Romantica arc in 12 episodes, I really hope they don't rush it later.
Oct 7, 2023 11:13 AM
Oct 2020
Hmm I've read the source material before but stopped reading it years ago. I hope this will be good but I have a feeling it's going to be just ok at most
Oct 7, 2023 11:22 AM

Jul 2022
Love it. Wish I could go right into the 2nd ep now.

Strong, faithful first episode.
Oct 7, 2023 11:23 AM
May 2023
I read upto chapter 125.. this manhwa had a good paced story as far as I remember..there many interesting things here and there.. this is not just another return to past generic anime..the animation is fine for now but I was hoping for better.
Oct 7, 2023 11:24 AM

Oct 2017
How many going back to the past anime does this make this season? Wow.

Not a bad start and it's just the start so things should get better as we progress. I wonder how he'll break the class barrier though. This society seems really fixated on their birth status and they even separated the students by that. Btw I hope his other party members show up soon.
Oct 7, 2023 11:58 AM
Aug 2018
The soundtrack was surprisingly pretty amazing ! I did not expect that. it especially stands out when the overall production of the episode was subpar at best
Oct 7, 2023 12:03 PM
Sep 2015
It's nice story but as someone already mentioned, the Japanese market is too cramped with this kind of story. I mean, just a few minutes before this anime broadcast time, it's the Tearmoon anime which playout exactly like this. This should be handled by South Korean studio (Mir?) and aired in South Korean TV instead.
Oct 7, 2023 12:07 PM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Bro the soundtrack is atleast a tier? Whats going on, wow. Yeah animation is okay, but who cares? I need this simulcast haha.
Lets go.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Oct 7, 2023 12:27 PM
May 2021
good episode but the animation of the dragon at the beginning seems weird, there are scenes missing or that have been changed, looking forward to seeing the rest even if the webtoon is better
Oct 7, 2023 12:45 PM

Aug 2009
I have never in my dreams imagined just how much power does spaghetti hold..... a world ending Napolitan explosion.
Well after vending machine isekai, sword isekai and pervy pig isekai, I guess a italian cousine wars isekai is not so much out of place xD
Oct 7, 2023 2:10 PM
Feb 2018
they really wanted to show Desir's like cruel awakening to come to the past. It takes him until seeing Romantica to want to change the future
Oct 7, 2023 3:30 PM

Feb 2019
I LOVE the trend of Korean works getting anime adaptations lately. There’s so many cool stories in that medium that would be perfect for anime adaptations. It’s great for consumers in both countries.

There’s a lot of time travel shows airing this season, but from what I’ve researched and heard about Returner’s Magic, it’s not generic at all despite the somewhat basic start. There’s supposed to be a lot of interesting plot developments in this story so I’ll let em cook.

Opening sequence was pretty cool. Tough battle against a dragon, apparently humans have never defeated one in this world which is very interesting. Couldn’t help but laugh at the magical nuke in its heart going off after though.

I know they wouldn’t have known since humans had never killed a dragon, but damn, would’ve been nice to move AWAY from the beast after killing it? Maybe not having a post game analysis right there lol. The blonde girl didn’t even bat an eye when faced with her death. That’s badass!

Already, I like the MC. The way characters act in Korean stories has some subtle but welcome differences to Japanese characters. The cool composed nature of Desir, especially when meeting Romantica again. A lot of MCs would’ve got all teary eyed, blushed etc. dude just stayed focus on the task at hand and is determined to change the future .

Animation leaves a little to be desired, but I’m a big fan of the art style and character designs

I KNEW blue hair dude reminded me of someone. He looks just like dude from iceblade sorcerer
Marinate1016Oct 7, 2023 3:52 PM
Oct 7, 2023 3:32 PM

Sep 2011
Damn, that was boring
Oct 7, 2023 3:41 PM
Aug 2020
apart the Dragon (CGI), the rest was interesting

i appreciate this first episode, i want to see what will happen next...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 7, 2023 4:07 PM

Jul 2014
Save the girl, save the world. Well that's about as strong of an intro as you can get.

Now to watch them screw it up with OP crap + sad Hogwarts ripoff like every other show.
Oct 7, 2023 4:43 PM
Dec 2020
Bad animation, with unreal character details, and incompatible voice actors for roles projected in manga
Oct 7, 2023 5:23 PM

Jun 2013
The story is kinda interesting
Oct 7, 2023 7:16 PM

Sep 2016
Wow another generic template trash, even with the staple smug noble who seethe at ORDINARIES archetype
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 7, 2023 7:17 PM

Jan 2015
OMG, can't believe it got an adaptation. Read this like 5 years ago, and reread a year ago, I only got to chapter 60 or something, kinda lost interest after, but the anime should cover this much. OFC, I was excited and watched the episode. I expect it to have many seasons
Oct 7, 2023 7:19 PM
Mar 2021
ceritanya bagus cuma untuk grafiknya kurang
Oct 7, 2023 7:56 PM
Mar 2014
The 1st episode was OK, never seen the manga, the story seemed interesting and cool until.... MC got sent back in time, and he broke down and the story just became kind of cheesy after that.

Hoping episode 2 gets better.

Instead of thinking logically, since he already identified and figured out already that he was in the past, shouldn't he plan his moves wisely and get to the group of heroes so everyone can prevent the mana explosion than send him back in time? ...and save everyone along the way.
Oct 7, 2023 8:05 PM

Sep 2016
Bruh they really hired Saber's VA and made her voice the Saintess (supporting character) instead of the Sabeface main protagonist's ally, lmao
Aizen's VA for Zoid is absolutely approved tho.

kek at the comments about animation being bad, no it's not lol
Also cgi dragon wut, it has blurred outlines to camouflage it, doesn't look that bad, at the very least they decided to not make the mistake of making a thick black outline lol. And I say this as a CGI hater.

Anyway, the pacing seems to be faster than I thought, the scene I thought was going to be ep 1's cliffhanger (Desir opening his eyes as he went back in time), is literally at 11:30/23:xx, halfway.
And the other cliffhanger which I expected for ep 2 was him finding the resolve to do something after meeting Romantica again, and that's ep 1 end.
So the anime is going at double speed kek

Also they really are not doing the scene where he's totally not calm and composed after seeing Romantica huh xD, guess maybe the manga added that in and the LN didn't have it.

AllGamer said:
shouldn't he plan his moves wisely and get to the group of heroes so everyone can prevent the mana explosion than send him back in time? ...and save everyone along the way.

That's literally the plot of the story lol, leave it time
FullyChargedOct 7, 2023 8:29 PM
bruh
Oct 7, 2023 8:29 PM
Apr 2021
It plays pretty much 99% of the story just how it was portrayed. Looking forward to seeing how the test goes.
Oct 8, 2023 1:24 AM
Apr 2021
- characters are cool and cute
- the story is quite interesting
- idk what to write anymore but I'm looking forward to the next ep.
Oct 8, 2023 3:11 AM

Jan 2010
The soundtrack is insane.
Oct 8, 2023 5:47 AM
Jun 2012
Its a solid production overall.
That's is struggling with a mess of a story that has yet to come into itself.

Considering that's common in manhwa. It's likely the story will pick up.
In few episodes.
Oct 8, 2023 9:58 AM

Feb 2010
The first episode gives me no reason to care about any of the characters...
Oct 8, 2023 1:35 PM
Jun 2021
KANLen09 said:
I'm surprised that Aniplex chose to license South Korean manhwa author Usonan's Kakao Webtoon manga, of which this is the prequel to next season's Solo Levelling as far as Aniplex is concerned.

The work of Desir Arman's party defeating a dragon, hell is over for now in this Shadow World, where with the mission objective done, they're to be transported back to their own world. But this isn't the case, and how Desir managed to outwit the dragon, it was not a case of luck, but of know-how. With the feat done, everyone parts their ways, but the dragon seemingly is not defeated at all, and the dragon got exploded like a self-contained bomb, sending everyone to their deaths...but Desir back to the past?

Desir is back in his young academy days of 10 years past, and meeting Radoria who a famous mage, she shows him around while her rival of Alfheim disses on Desir being a commoner before his entrance exam. And sure enough, he met one of his comrades of Romantica Eru, the girl who was dead under him, Desir is prepared to change things around for the better.

Oh god, how many time travel series we have this season? No matter Japanese manga or South Korean manhwa, it just looks one and the same.

the regression trope has been around for a very long time in korea its very popular. you better get used to it because its the second most common fantasy trope behind the system used in kr novels and manhwa
Oct 8, 2023 1:48 PM
Mar 2012
anime is amazing anime is amazing anime is amazing
Oct 8, 2023 6:13 PM

Oct 2022
Sigh... well, this one has a rough start. Yet another "group of heroes" in yet another "final battle" with yet another "demon lord"- which this time the demon is a horrible CGI dragon that moves like an animatronic from 1982; and the heroes go through the barely-animated motions of defeating the animatronic, and then they sit around and have a chat afterwards, about what they'll do now that the battle is over. It's what they say during this part that really blew me away: the cgi dragon named Napolitan (I really wanna call him Napoleon for some reason) was the boss of one of these "shadow spheres" and it killed- 150 million people!?!? THAT pathetic dragon?? 150 million? How the FACK can one dragon kill 150 million people??? "Oh it's a really tough dragon sir!" NO! I don't care how tough it is, no single dragon that small can off that many humans. A few thousand thrown at it would overwhelm it just by sheer force of numbers!
But wait! The dragon isn't dead yet- one of the party just remembers at that moment- he read somewhere in an ancient text that the dragon's heart is a mana-powerhouse that can explode and obliterate everything in its way once the dragon is slain..... wait- dude- so you knew this information, and after battling a dragon that killed 150 million people, didn't think that would possibly be a problem with THIS dragon- because why would it- and so didn't mention it until now? THANKS FOR NOTHIN JACK!

So needless to say, our hero is obliterated, and he's reincarnated, but back to the past. And from there it smooths out some. He meets the surprisingly cute and of course massively talented redhead who's the school's star student. Who asks- "there you are, I've been looking for you" but then tells him if he passes the magic school's entrance exam he'll be put into a "beta" class because he's a "commoner". Oh c'mon now! Humanity is in a battle for its survival against these shadow spheres showing up, they clearly know about them because the entrance exam is to "clear" one- but they have time to screw around with nobles and caste systems? WTF? No! In a fight for survival class distinctions disappear almost immediately! But they have time to stand around with the noble guy acting all arrogant, playing grabass while the world burns?? Christ. At least the design of the characters is alright, it's kind of vintage looking- and at least Desir wasn't "sent to another world" but oh my the writing in this is really bad. When an anime has the words "should be special" in its literal TITLE- I feel like the anime SHOULD BE SPECIAL!
SuperAdventureOct 8, 2023 6:20 PM
Oct 8, 2023 9:57 PM

Feb 2020
Little bit underwhelming with the choppy CG dragon in the opening episode. The series should pick up a lot of steam once Desir meets Pram and they start their nonsense.
Oct 8, 2023 11:34 PM
Apr 2022
returner's magic should be special in the next ep otherwise i'm gonna drop this, there was really nothing that stood out to me maybe except the stoic blond swordwoman, average start
Oct 8, 2023 11:34 PM
Apr 2023
Nice intro to the story but I guess they aiming for a slow pace for this web novel based story.

Not the 1st time I saw a 'returner'/rewind story but this feels good. Probably will be a decent one for this season.
Oct 8, 2023 11:37 PM
Oct 2014
Flow does the opening LFG this season has amazing performers, ado , fripside and flow as well as others , we're eating good
Oct 9, 2023 4:52 AM

Aug 2013
Why didn't they check if it died to be sure, they just assumed it be dead, based on what...?

Pretty realistic reaction from the MC. This looks good so far.
Oct 9, 2023 9:45 AM

Dec 2015
The plot looks like some Medieval Fantasy Muv-luv, exacly the same core.
Oct 9, 2023 12:16 PM
Feb 2023
Reply to Limi
Why didn't they check if it died to be sure, they just assumed it be dead, based on what...?

Pretty realistic reaction from the MC. This looks good so far.
Limi said:

I have no idea why it seems to suddenly open its eye, but the explanation by the mage was "When a dragon dies, its mana reserve explodes". So the problem wasn't that it didn't die, the problem was that it explodes after dying. Checking if it died to be sure wouldn't have done anything.
Oct 9, 2023 3:15 PM

Feb 2020
Seems somewhat interesting so far, umm where is the cute little boy though?

Oct 10, 2023 8:07 AM
Sep 2021
Nice to see this manhwa get adaptation before solo leveling because it was one of the manhwa's which I read. Overall, the animation needs improvement, excited to see more of it.
Oct 11, 2023 1:47 AM
Apr 2012
Reply to SuperAdventure
Sigh... well, this one has a rough start. Yet another "group of heroes" in yet another "final battle" with yet another "demon lord"- which this time the demon is a horrible CGI dragon that moves like an animatronic from 1982; and the heroes go through the barely-animated motions of defeating the animatronic, and then they sit around and have a chat afterwards, about what they'll do now that the battle is over. It's what they say during this part that really blew me away: the cgi dragon named Napolitan (I really wanna call him Napoleon for some reason) was the boss of one of these "shadow spheres" and it killed- 150 million people!?!? THAT pathetic dragon?? 150 million? How the FACK can one dragon kill 150 million people??? "Oh it's a really tough dragon sir!" NO! I don't care how tough it is, no single dragon that small can off that many humans. A few thousand thrown at it would overwhelm it just by sheer force of numbers!
But wait! The dragon isn't dead yet- one of the party just remembers at that moment- he read somewhere in an ancient text that the dragon's heart is a mana-powerhouse that can explode and obliterate everything in its way once the dragon is slain..... wait- dude- so you knew this information, and after battling a dragon that killed 150 million people, didn't think that would possibly be a problem with THIS dragon- because why would it- and so didn't mention it until now? THANKS FOR NOTHIN JACK!

So needless to say, our hero is obliterated, and he's reincarnated, but back to the past. And from there it smooths out some. He meets the surprisingly cute and of course massively talented redhead who's the school's star student. Who asks- "there you are, I've been looking for you" but then tells him if he passes the magic school's entrance exam he'll be put into a "beta" class because he's a "commoner". Oh c'mon now! Humanity is in a battle for its survival against these shadow spheres showing up, they clearly know about them because the entrance exam is to "clear" one- but they have time to screw around with nobles and caste systems? WTF? No! In a fight for survival class distinctions disappear almost immediately! But they have time to stand around with the noble guy acting all arrogant, playing grabass while the world burns?? Christ. At least the design of the characters is alright, it's kind of vintage looking- and at least Desir wasn't "sent to another world" but oh my the writing in this is really bad. When an anime has the words "should be special" in its literal TITLE- I feel like the anime SHOULD BE SPECIAL!
@SuperAdventure You must be new here. Welcome.
Oct 11, 2023 1:58 AM
Mar 2012
Characters look bit more unique, like the mc design. everyone weird faded rainbow hair.
time travel so not an isekai. hope this better than MLalternative or Nidome.
budget animation but nice lighting.
Oct 11, 2023 3:01 AM
Jan 2023
Not bad, they definitely pulled off the time travel in a way that's unique. The animation is decent, but definitely budget. Characters are good so far though.

I think this will be one that I enjoy quite a bit.
Oct 11, 2023 5:23 AM

Oct 2008
so far it's good! but the best part was hearing the almost never aging band FLOW!!!
5/5.

Oct 11, 2023 1:23 PM

Aug 2013
Reply to LegatoC
Limi said:

I have no idea why it seems to suddenly open its eye, but the explanation by the mage was "When a dragon dies, its mana reserve explodes". So the problem wasn't that it didn't die, the problem was that it explodes after dying. Checking if it died to be sure wouldn't have done anything.
@LegatoC they might've detected the mana, but they'd probably still would've died anyway yea.
Oct 11, 2023 7:34 PM
May 2017
decent opener, similar premise to Ragna Crimson except the latter had a more unique way of doing the time travel

3/5
Oct 13, 2023 3:11 AM
Oct 2022
Felt dragged starting from the first ep, the second half of the episode was all about mc accepting he's gone back in time... well, I hope the second ep will be more interesting. I found the manhwa decent, so this was a ok start
Oct 13, 2023 5:49 AM

Mar 2013
Crude animation but the story has potential.
However, the names are that from another country instead of it being based in Japan, kind of a turn-off but whatever.
The animation looks rushed or are like rough sketches. I've noticed a lot of inconsistencies here and there but I won't bother myself explaining all of them. i.e. Woman from the intro should be getting ready to slash from the top-down but after getting a buff from the dude-mage, she went and slashed her sword sideways. I was rather "WTF" in my thoughts.
I feel like this is a korean web comic adapted to anime. (Okay, just checked it from the previous msgs, I guess it's true)
The VAs are fine and dandy, but some of them aren't a fit to their characters appearances, kind of weird...
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2023

59 by Shiro099 »»
Jun 5, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2023

30 by Refridgerater »»
Apr 15, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2023

25 by Refridgerater »»
Apr 15, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2023

28 by Refridgerater »»
Apr 15, 6:56 AM

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2023

39 by Refridgerater »»
Apr 15, 5:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.