Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 4, 2023 3:14 PM
Sep 2022
I think they are adapting Akira as a series this time and it will contain parts that were skipped by the movie version. But it will be really hard to match the retro and hand drawn animation style the og anime had.
Oct 4, 2023 3:23 PM

Apr 2020
Destined to fail, imo.

Hard to follow up a movie with a status THIS legendary, in the community. People won't like it, no matter what it's like, just because it isn't the original.
Oct 4, 2023 3:52 PM
May 2023
what the hell is this? first time im hearing any new akira news.
Oct 4, 2023 4:39 PM
Sep 2019
Eh, I think if they do it in their own style it might be really good. I feel like as long as its not cg, the story will carry the animations regardless.
Oct 4, 2023 5:34 PM
Trash

Jul 2015
Hopefully it’s amazing and follows the manga completely.
Oct 4, 2023 5:54 PM
May 2017
Merve2Love said:
Destined to fail, imo.

Hard to follow up a movie with a status THIS legendary, in the community. People won't like it, no matter what it's like, just because it isn't the original.

its not destined to fail if its accurate to the original source material even the original is iconic and the original anime is not even accurate
Oct 4, 2023 7:13 PM
Dec 2020
Merve2Love said:
Destined to fail, imo.

trigun stampede was also destined to fail as a readaptation of an already popular series, and it still was one of the best animes so far this year imo
Oct 4, 2023 7:58 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Merve2Love
Destined to fail, imo.

@Merve2Love Lmao speak for yourself it will do great.

Good persona signature though.
Oct 4, 2023 8:19 PM

Nov 2015
Yes!!!!

Akira is the greatest anime / manga of all time.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Oct 4, 2023 9:12 PM

May 2019
Reply to Seiidou
@Seiidou Yeah, that manga ends up being something totally different after certain plot twist event. And ALL of it was not covered by the movie.

Remebers me of 20th Century Boys.
Oct 4, 2023 9:24 PM

May 2015
if shin akira is possible... maybe we can get a shin tetsujin.... one day.....
My Candies:
Oct 4, 2023 9:53 PM
Apr 2013
Reply to Merve2Love
Destined to fail, imo.

@Merve2Love It'll be just fine it it looks as good as the original, and they don't make all of the mechanical stuff, destruction, etc 99% CGI. Watch, this will be full of modern ass-ugly cgi like nearly every anime is polluted with now. It's almost like it's too much to ask animators to draw stuff anymore.
Oct 4, 2023 10:50 PM
May 2016
Unfortunately, recent industry trends don't leave me with much hope. At cynical first blush, I'm gonna say that CG will cripple this.
You can argue that people won't like it by default—given the original film's status as a classic—but there's always room for a new generation, a new perspective, a deeper appreciation for covering more of the source material.
None of these matter, however, when your adaptation of a beloved manga looks like a slideshow of endlessly rotating 3D vector art.
Oct 4, 2023 11:25 PM
Sep 2022
Mackenzie-L said:
Unfortunately, recent industry trends don't leave me with much hope. At cynical first blush, I'm gonna say that CG will cripple this.
You can argue that people won't like it by default—given the original film's status as a classic—but there's always room for a new generation, a new perspective, a deeper appreciation for covering more of the source material.
None of these matter, however, when your adaptation of a beloved manga looks like a slideshow of endlessly rotating 3D vector art.

Yeah.. we cant really expect a fully hand drawn animation in this era. But even if they use cgi, I'd like to see it being done well but most importantly, I want them do a good job at adapting the story.
It would be even more amazing if the studio comes out with something so good that it would revolutionize the way CGI is incorporated in 2d anime just like how he OG movie revolutionized 2d animation.
Oct 5, 2023 3:07 AM
May 2016
Reply to SanathKr14
Mackenzie-L said:

Yeah.. we cant really expect a fully hand drawn animation in this era. But even if they use cgi, I'd like to see it being done well but most importantly, I want them do a good job at adapting the story.
It would be even more amazing if the studio comes out with something so good that it would revolutionize the way CGI is incorporated in 2d anime just like how he OG movie revolutionized 2d animation.
@SanathKr14 Absolutely, there's nothing realistic about expecting a million hand-painted frames in this day and age, especially considering what technology allows now. And there's nothing inherently wrong with a new approach.
It's shameless cheapness that I fear the most. Nothing says that'll be the case here, but I'm still healing after monstrosities like Berserk 2016, and the Junji Ito Collection broke my heart. That said, it'd be incredible to see a studio revolutionize the medium once again with an IP like Akira.
Oct 5, 2023 3:50 AM
Sep 2023
Reply to Mackenzie-L
@SanathKr14 Absolutely, there's nothing realistic about expecting a million hand-painted frames in this day and age, especially considering what technology allows now. And there's nothing inherently wrong with a new approach.
It's shameless cheapness that I fear the most. Nothing says that'll be the case here, but I'm still healing after monstrosities like Berserk 2016, and the Junji Ito Collection broke my heart. That said, it'd be incredible to see a studio revolutionize the medium once again with an IP like Akira.
@Mackenzie-L
" Absolutely, there's nothing realistic about expecting a million hand-painted frames in this day and age,"|
And there's nothing realistic about expecting me not to drop a show it it turns out to be CG slop. Studios can continue to "pragmatically" make CG garbage, and people who don't like CG can continue to call it CG garbage. This is what's called an impasse.
Anime is a visual medium, and in terms of being able to convey visuals in an expressive way, CG just isn't there yet. Middling budget shows have a janky PS3 game look, and even massive budget projects somehow still look like garbage during the CG scenes (eva rebuilds, etc).
Oct 5, 2023 4:25 AM

Jul 2016
Oh look another remake trying to cash in for the nostalgia like Berserk/Shaman King
Oct 5, 2023 4:46 AM
Oct 2019
99% chances of being ruined by CGI. So sad that I have 0 hope in any of the modern stuff...
Oct 5, 2023 8:38 AM
Aug 2020
Reply to Seiidou
@Seiidou I admire your optimism lol
Oct 5, 2023 9:16 AM

Sep 2018
Neo-Neo-Tokyo is about to EXPLODE
Oct 5, 2023 9:44 AM
Jun 2022
wow im so suprised this is happening after this long but i think it will be good although its possible the animation wont have the same vibe and might be even worse i think the amazing story the manga has will be properly adapted this time
Oct 5, 2023 12:57 PM
Jul 2023
Does anyone know which studio is doing it up?
Oct 5, 2023 1:25 PM
Jan 2023
This was announce in 2019, why am I getting an update for no new news on it? 🤣
Oct 5, 2023 7:05 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to RKY33
This was announce in 2019, why am I getting an update for no new news on it? 🤣
@RKY33 Deleted and readded to the database lol.
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to ELtaaaaaa
@RKY33 Deleted and readded to the database lol.
@ELtaaaaaa Thanks, I came here wondering the same thing as RKY33 lol
Feb 16, 1:39 PM
May 2015
Reply to usernamewhatuser
@usernamewhatuser Sunrise.
Feb 16, 1:42 PM
May 2015
Considering the legacy of the impressive animation from the original 1988 movie, it is expected that Sunrise will strive to maintain and, if possible, surpass that visual standard by leveraging current technologies. They may aim to achieve animation quality comparable to that of Gundam Hathaway's Flash, one of Sunrise's most outstanding works in this regard in recent years.

Personally, I would prefer Shin Akira to follow the model of projects like Pluto from Studio M2 or Gundam The Origin from Sunrise itself, where a series of one-hour OVA episodes is produced. It should have a very good budget and should not be censored, or at least should have the least amount of censorship allowed. Additionally, it is essential to pay meticulous attention to detail throughout the process and strive to achieve the highest cinematic level possible.

Regarding the music, they will likely seek a new composer and not use Geinoh Yamashirogumi's soundtrack, which is fine, but I hope that at least the most iconic themes, like those of Kaneda, Tetsuo, and the requiem, are maintained. These pieces are too emblematic to be overlooked.

As for the Japanese voice actors, it is most likely that Mitsuo Iwata will return as Kaneda and Nozomu Sasaki as Tetsuo, respectively.
Mar 29, 7:10 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to usernamewhatuser
@usernamewhatuser

Sunrise, so not bad, probably.

More topics from this board

» any updates?

kartiksutharr - Mar 21

4 by thischeetobussin »»
Mar 22, 3:35 PM

» They will ruin this with too much CGI.

TofuTehSurvivor - Oct 4, 2023

32 by Ketamigo »»
Mar 1, 12:01 PM

» Why was the previous version for this anime with 25,000 members removed?

Maciusiek - Oct 4, 2023

15 by northno4 »»
Feb 11, 8:04 PM

» Why? ( 1 2 )

Sid - Oct 4, 2023

74 by VKDOOM »»
Nov 7, 2023 8:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.