Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 5, 2023 7:05 PM

Jan 2021
Anyone calling this a cash grab just look at the director! Good lord a man can't want to adapt HIS own manga without people assuming the worst.
Oct 6, 2023 12:01 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Whatever you think of its qualities, Akira is an absolute legend in anime. Whatever they do, even if it is very good, will always be judged harshly and might not be well received. Not to mention that sci-fi and cyberpunk are not really popular with "modern audiences" so I really don't see the gain here.

Plenty of good manga out there without adaptations
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 6, 2023 12:04 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to ELtaaaaaa
@Dawizz Wrong unfortunately.
@ELtaaaaaa

We'll talk again in the future once this drops and fizzles into nothingness much like the "new version" Shaman King and Urusei Yatsura and the endless reimagining/clones/re-dos/"continuations" of FLCL.

And let me tell you something boy, I saw the og one some good 14 years before you were even born, on some shoddy af VHS tape and nothing, and I mean nothing this "new version" is going to bring to the table is going to compare to greatness to the og.

The og one will always be above and beyond this new version, why? Simple. You can not replicate the era/society the og one came from. Back then the world was 1000% better than right now. And identity politics, in one way or another, and "modern audiences" tastes will be put inside the new version.

Just those facts will more than enough to guarantee that the new version will fail, how much/big it will fail? Only time will tell.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Oct 6, 2023 12:42 PM
Apr 2017
Reply to Farabeuf

Whatever you think of its qualities, Akira is an absolute legend in anime. Whatever they do, even if it is very good, will always be judged harshly and might not be well received. Not to mention that sci-fi and cyberpunk are not really popular with "modern audiences" so I really don't see the gain here.

@Farabeuf I think this is my first post here, i couldn't help myself...
Sci-fi and Cyberpunk are currently surging in popularity... Are you living on some other Earth? They also never really waned... Sci-fi movies games and series are at the forefront of international acclaim probably more than ever in history, perhaps less so in anime compared to prior years, and much of the sci-fi is rehashed, if not actual reboots or pointlessly extended franchises, but its not a question of how good the sci-fi is here, you were speaking on its popularity.

Then theres this: "Whatever they do, even if it is very good, will always be judged harshly and might not be well received."
I can only assume after reading this that there is some deep sadness embedded at the core of your being that you've long mistaken for safety.
What an absolute chiller of a take, "You shouldn't try to live up to high expectations because expectations should... be lower... Its not good to try to be dope, just try to be a'ight." Explain it so it makes sense.

"Plenty of good manga out there without adaptations"
Yes, those are other things, this one is Akira, the opportunity to adapt Akira again doesn't really figure in to how many other adaptations or original anime get created. Theres also a lot of cultural baggage recently around remakes being bad, which totally overlooks 100s of years of remakes, reimaginings, and reboots that often worked quite well, its the modern western corporate remake that is quite often terrible, not the entire construct.
Its being made by Otomo, and i'm sure with quite a bit of reverence for the material. Its taking quite some time to come out, so i suspect a good amount of the detailed animation style of the original movie will come through. The original really only adapted a very small portion of the manga, so theres PLENTY of reason to make it.

I really just get the feeling you don't even understand what you are saying. Akira's scale and impact internationally were huge, and opened the door for more sci-fi anime, and anime overall, to be created and exported. I don't think its any coincidence that this new adaptation comes at a time when the Japanese media industry is aiming for new heights in the international market with things like the Shin series of films. Most of those films have been well-received, and i don't see them as artistically bankrupt at all, but that said this is a quite different adaptation, as noones ever seen the overall story of Akira the MANGA on screen. If i remember correctly it wasn't even finished when the film came out.

This has gotten quite long and frankly i could write an opera about how much i disagree, so:
TLDR; Wow that was... Not-so-smart.
Oct 6, 2023 12:50 PM
Apr 2017
Reply to Dawizz
@ELtaaaaaa

We'll talk again in the future once this drops and fizzles into nothingness much like the "new version" Shaman King and Urusei Yatsura and the endless reimagining/clones/re-dos/"continuations" of FLCL.

And let me tell you something boy, I saw the og one some good 14 years before you were even born, on some shoddy af VHS tape and nothing, and I mean nothing this "new version" is going to bring to the table is going to compare to greatness to the og.

The og one will always be above and beyond this new version, why? Simple. You can not replicate the era/society the og one came from. Back then the world was 1000% better than right now. And identity politics, in one way or another, and "modern audiences" tastes will be put inside the new version.

Just those facts will more than enough to guarantee that the new version will fail, how much/big it will fail? Only time will tell.
@Dawizz You are super embarrassing, dude. Like its uncomfortable to read how lame you are.

"I am big old, and nobody can woke me, i don't WANT black trans akira" just... christ, you are the exact reason i never ever posted here before. Deeply embarrassing shit.
Oct 6, 2023 12:56 PM

Oct 2022
Never thought I would have to add an anime to my list twice.😂
Oct 6, 2023 9:11 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Dawizz
@ELtaaaaaa

@Dawizz You're full of shit the director is the Mangaka himself. You just kept yammering on about nothing lmao. This will be a proper adaptation of Akira and will top the original stop just being an old man and embrace change before you die of old age lol.
Oct 6, 2023 9:12 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to grupletruge
@Dawizz You are super embarrassing, dude. Like its uncomfortable to read how lame you are.

"I am big old, and nobody can woke me, i don't WANT black trans akira" just... christ, you are the exact reason i never ever posted here before. Deeply embarrassing shit.
@grupletruge Fr lol, like they think the mangaka/director can't improve and develop from his mistakes and regrets with the original to make something that even manages to top Akira. Which I love I just have faith in the creators vision and that we will improve and succeed.
Oct 7, 2023 5:13 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Reply to grupletruge
@Farabeuf I think this is my first post here, i couldn't help myself...
Sci-fi and Cyberpunk are currently surging in popularity... Are you living on some other Earth? They also never really waned... Sci-fi movies games and series are at the forefront of international acclaim probably more than ever in history, perhaps less so in anime compared to prior years, and much of the sci-fi is rehashed, if not actual reboots or pointlessly extended franchises, but its not a question of how good the sci-fi is here, you were speaking on its popularity.

Then theres this: "Whatever they do, even if it is very good, will always be judged harshly and might not be well received."
I can only assume after reading this that there is some deep sadness embedded at the core of your being that you've long mistaken for safety.
What an absolute chiller of a take, "You shouldn't try to live up to high expectations because expectations should... be lower... Its not good to try to be dope, just try to be a'ight." Explain it so it makes sense.

"Plenty of good manga out there without adaptations"
Yes, those are other things, this one is Akira, the opportunity to adapt Akira again doesn't really figure in to how many other adaptations or original anime get created. Theres also a lot of cultural baggage recently around remakes being bad, which totally overlooks 100s of years of remakes, reimaginings, and reboots that often worked quite well, its the modern western corporate remake that is quite often terrible, not the entire construct.
Its being made by Otomo, and i'm sure with quite a bit of reverence for the material. Its taking quite some time to come out, so i suspect a good amount of the detailed animation style of the original movie will come through. The original really only adapted a very small portion of the manga, so theres PLENTY of reason to make it.

I really just get the feeling you don't even understand what you are saying. Akira's scale and impact internationally were huge, and opened the door for more sci-fi anime, and anime overall, to be created and exported. I don't think its any coincidence that this new adaptation comes at a time when the Japanese media industry is aiming for new heights in the international market with things like the Shin series of films. Most of those films have been well-received, and i don't see them as artistically bankrupt at all, but that said this is a quite different adaptation, as noones ever seen the overall story of Akira the MANGA on screen. If i remember correctly it wasn't even finished when the film came out.

This has gotten quite long and frankly i could write an opera about how much i disagree, so:
TLDR; Wow that was... Not-so-smart.
@grupletruge Congratulation for the most condescending, pontificating and patronizing post I've read in well, quite a while. I can only imagine your snide smile when typing it. Yes, you're clearly much smarter than me. I apologize for being so stupid and having an opinion of my own.

For the record, it's not your first post here. It's the 4th.

Have a nice day.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 7, 2023 10:03 AM

Sep 2014
Everything about this "update" is so confusing. Especially since you made me aware Sunrise is still doing a Gundam SEED movie 2 decades later? Like. What?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 7, 2023 2:41 PM
Apr 2017
Reply to Farabeuf
@grupletruge Congratulation for the most condescending, pontificating and patronizing post I've read in well, quite a while. I can only imagine your snide smile when typing it. Yes, you're clearly much smarter than me. I apologize for being so stupid and having an opinion of my own.

For the record, it's not your first post here. It's the 4th.

Have a nice day.
@Farabeuf You misunderstand, i wasn't smiling, i was smiling and bursting into occasional laughter. That was a very good use of the 3 biggest words you know, i am a good condescender, pontificator, and patron, so appreciate your comment.

Its okay to be stupid, And yes, I am much smarter, i appreciate you saying that. And I am in fact trying to extinguish your opinion, its your personal autonomy that really bothers me, thats a rational assumption. Its not just that i feel as fervent in my disagreement as you do in your opinion.

I'd apologize if i thought you were actually hurt in any way, but i don't consider arguments like this all that personal, so my tone isn't meant to hurt, its meant to portray my thoughts as opposition to yours. I could've called you stupid, i went for not-so-smart, idk, does it get better if i dress it up in niceties like "not well thought out" or something? I don't think so. I've never understood why people can't handle descriptions of beliefs that directly oppose their own. You came here and said what you said for no real rational reason, i came here and said what i said for no real rational reason, in the end we are just foils for eachothers online criticism, why play make-believe as if we are friends? If you think you have a point, make one, but don't try and convince me you were actually hurt by this, or that my intention was to hurt you or gain anything, i dont exist here, this is totally divorced from my identity anywhere else.

You wanted to express, for some reason, your thought that this pretty much can't be good, and i simply wanted to express the opposite, and if i was doing so, isn't it actually more rational and pro-social to explain why then to just mic-drop and strut out like i think what i did jsut made me some alpha-chad? Better to do both lol.See, I do see myself, i know im a cartoon. But you're a cartoon too. Its fine.
Oct 7, 2023 2:53 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Reply to grupletruge
@Farabeuf You misunderstand, i wasn't smiling, i was smiling and bursting into occasional laughter. That was a very good use of the 3 biggest words you know, i am a good condescender, pontificator, and patron, so appreciate your comment.

Its okay to be stupid, And yes, I am much smarter, i appreciate you saying that. And I am in fact trying to extinguish your opinion, its your personal autonomy that really bothers me, thats a rational assumption. Its not just that i feel as fervent in my disagreement as you do in your opinion.

I'd apologize if i thought you were actually hurt in any way, but i don't consider arguments like this all that personal, so my tone isn't meant to hurt, its meant to portray my thoughts as opposition to yours. I could've called you stupid, i went for not-so-smart, idk, does it get better if i dress it up in niceties like "not well thought out" or something? I don't think so. I've never understood why people can't handle descriptions of beliefs that directly oppose their own. You came here and said what you said for no real rational reason, i came here and said what i said for no real rational reason, in the end we are just foils for eachothers online criticism, why play make-believe as if we are friends? If you think you have a point, make one, but don't try and convince me you were actually hurt by this, or that my intention was to hurt you or gain anything, i dont exist here, this is totally divorced from my identity anywhere else.

You wanted to express, for some reason, your thought that this pretty much can't be good, and i simply wanted to express the opposite, and if i was doing so, isn't it actually more rational and pro-social to explain why then to just mic-drop and strut out like i think what i did jsut made me some alpha-chad? Better to do both lol.See, I do see myself, i know im a cartoon. But you're a cartoon too. Its fine.
@grupletruge Sure thing tough guy. You really are special, I can smell it all the way over here.

You do realize that I've triggered you so much, with one of my many throwaway comments of the day, that you've doubled your post count on this place just replying to me, even though you've been here six years?

Food for thought. Think of that while you take a shower.

Oct 7, 2023 3:07 PM
Apr 2017
Reply to Farabeuf
@grupletruge Sure thing tough guy. You really are special, I can smell it all the way over here.

You do realize that I've triggered you so much, with one of my many throwaway comments of the day, that you've doubled your post count on this place just replying to me, even though you've been here six years?

@Farabeuf HAhahahahaha, this shit is really weird, i love that you think im triggered or that i've ever been trying to express toughness, if you knew me IRL you'd know thats the last thing i try to present myself as.

I commented because i wanted an opposing thought displayed publically, and maybe a little because i thought your silly responses would enrich my life, and here i am, the pay-off is exponential, my comment's been reposted as a quote and im the star of the thread for the moment, so more people will read my thought!

Why are you so obsessed with yourself that you need to cook up narratives like me "being here 6 years" when i've read maybe 8 threads the whole time i've used this site. The forums here are a hellscape, i use this site to keep track of anime im interested in and log what ive watched so i can make anime-reccs to people.

Farabeuf said:

Food for.... shouldn't i EAT it when i take my shower? If it makes you feel any better, I don't really know how to eat this, but i am thinking of you in the shower, right now, as i type this, and I'm eating a Pop Tart (blueberry) and imagining that its thought-food. I guess this is an interesting thought experiment, but I think i'm gonna need to eat a few more Pop Tarts to understand your point. I'll be turning this over in my head and eating shower pop-tarts for... who knows how long.

You should reply again, thats what i want!
Oct 8, 2023 5:53 AM
Jan 2017
It's finally getting a fully proper adaption, the Akira movie barely covered any of the source material
Oct 8, 2023 6:31 AM

Feb 2020
money

character limit
Oct 8, 2023 9:03 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to WillinglyGiven
money

character limit
@WillinglyGiven No lol
Oct 9, 2023 12:18 AM

Jun 2014
Reply to Farabeuf

@Farabeuf yup. I agree for the most part But there are so few good stories that i can understand that they want to have a go at Akira again and maybe be truer to the story?
Oct 9, 2023 7:09 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Reply to Caraculiambro
@Farabeuf yup. I agree for the most part But there are so few good stories that i can understand that they want to have a go at Akira again and maybe be truer to the story?
@Caraculiambro Perhaps. But I just fear that it will always suffer from the comparison with the very successful and well made film-. Why not take another of Otomo's great works ? For example, The Legend of Mother Sarah that is not only a great story but would also fit very well with the zeitgeist of today (earth out of balance, strong female lead etc).

Oct 10, 2023 11:43 PM

Jun 2014
Reply to Farabeuf
@Caraculiambro Perhaps. But I just fear that it will always suffer from the comparison with the very successful and well made film-. Why not take another of Otomo's great works ? For example, The Legend of Mother Sarah that is not only a great story but would also fit very well with the zeitgeist of today (earth out of balance, strong female lead etc).
@Farabeuf I just looked that manga up and it sounds pretty interesting. Will read.
Oct 12, 2023 6:34 AM

May 2016
I'm shocked and offended that this hasn't happened YEARS ago.

The original movie is bad, guys. It's just bad. Akira deserves an adaptation that has more merit than "animation gud."

Farabeuf said:
Not to mention that sci-fi and cyberpunk are not really popular with "modern audiences"

Cyberpunk Edgerunners says otherwise.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Oct 12, 2023 7:06 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Reply to Zelkiiro
I'm shocked and offended that this hasn't happened YEARS ago.

The original movie is bad, guys. It's just bad. Akira deserves an adaptation that has more merit than "animation gud."

Farabeuf said:
Not to mention that sci-fi and cyberpunk are not really popular with "modern audiences"

Cyberpunk Edgerunners says otherwise.
@Zelkiiro I love Cyberpunk Edgerunners, but lets face it it's the exception to the rule in 2023. Rarely if ever does serious sci-fi get any traction with modern audiences. Believe me there is nothing, nothing that I would absolutely love more than for that to happen.

Oct 18, 2023 10:54 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to Dawizz
@ELtaaaaaa

@Dawizz

And it's obvious uv never read the manga. My first exposure to the anime was when I was eleven in '95 (with that terrible original dub. Watch the new dub kiddies, you won't be disappointed), and the manga when I was 21 in either '05 or '06. The anime is amazing, but it pales in comparison story-wise to the manga. You want to make this about politics, for some god awful reason, but it is just pure and simple that this story can be adapted in full, which may bring in a whole new audience. Hoard your childhood if you want, but please, do not deny the rest of us what could be something in a class of it's own.
usernamewhatuserOct 18, 2023 11:12 PM
Oct 21, 2023 3:59 AM

Sep 2015
Reply to usernamewhatuser
@Dawizz

And it's obvious uv never read the manga. My first exposure to the anime was when I was eleven in '95 (with that terrible original dub. Watch the new dub kiddies, you won't be disappointed), and the manga when I was 21 in either '05 or '06. The anime is amazing, but it pales in comparison story-wise to the manga. You want to make this about politics, for some god awful reason, but it is just pure and simple that this story can be adapted in full, which may bring in a whole new audience. Hoard your childhood if you want, but please, do not deny the rest of us what could be something in a class of it's own.
@usernamewhatuser

Exactly this.
The original story has so much more to offer. Especially when it comes to character depth and development.
Anyone who thinks this doesn't deserve a proper remake is tripping balls on wood glue.
Oct 25, 2023 6:28 PM

May 2010
I never read the manga, but from what I understand, it's a rather epic and complex saga. The original movie was perfect, seriously one of the triumphs of anime, but it did not capture all that the manga had to offer. It's a similar situation to Berserk, where the anime adaption was perfect, but left a story untold. There's a long version of Akira that hasn't yet been adapted, so it makes sense to create this. Huge boots to fill though, and skepticism is warranted.
“Money can't buy dere”
Nov 7, 2023 8:36 AM
May 2014
Reply to waalex11
Good question.
If I remember right it wasn't fully faithful with some differences, but, yeah, who knows.

Sure, it's a classic, but arguably slightly overrated.
I enjoyed it for a one time watch, but don't care to watch this or the original again.

If I remember correctly, I think some buildup or context, if not some scenes were a little lackluster, so I guess this new anime can maybe fix that.
We'll see.

On second thought:
I could try this, if it's a full adaptation, since the movie rushed 6 volumes.
@waalex11

It’s not possible for Akira to be overrated. It’s literally a cornerstone of this medium and without it, you may not even be posting in an anime forum with how pivotal a role it had in pushing the medium worldwide. There’s a reason that 30 years later, it’s still among the most iconic and recognizable anime in the world.

I can’t wait for the day when the anime community realizes an adaptation can be excellent without needing to fully reiterate everything from its source.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Akira Readaptation?

SanathKr14 - Oct 4, 2023

27 by usernamewhatuser »»
Mar 29, 7:10 PM

» any updates?

kartiksutharr - Mar 21

4 by thischeetobussin »»
Mar 22, 3:35 PM

» They will ruin this with too much CGI.

TofuTehSurvivor - Oct 4, 2023

32 by Ketamigo »»
Mar 1, 12:01 PM

» Why was the previous version for this anime with 25,000 members removed?

Maciusiek - Oct 4, 2023

15 by northno4 »»
Feb 11, 8:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.