New
Oct 4, 2023 1:42 AM

Nov 2009
Why?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 4, 2023 2:18 AM

Dec 2009
Good question.
If I remember right it wasn't fully faithful with some differences, but, yeah, who knows.

Sure, it's a classic, but arguably slightly overrated.
I enjoyed it for a one time watch, but don't care to watch this or the original again.

If I remember correctly, I think some buildup or context, if not some scenes were a little lackluster, so I guess this new anime can maybe fix that.
We'll see.

On second thought:
I could try this, if it's a full adaptation, since the movie rushed 6 volumes.
waalex11Oct 4, 2023 9:19 AM
Oct 4, 2023 2:23 AM
Dec 2011
Reply to waalex11
Good question.
If I remember right it wasn't fully faithful with some differences, but, yeah, who knows.

I enjoyed it for a one time watch, but don't care to watch this or the original again.

If I remember correctly, I think some buildup or context, if not some scenes were a little lackluster, so I guess this new anime can maybe fix that.
We'll see.

On second thought:
@waalex11
And above all, the manga was still in progress.
Oct 4, 2023 2:38 AM

Jan 2012
the manga isn't even adapted, what do you mean why?
Oct 4, 2023 2:41 AM

Aug 2012
Probably cause the entire manga was never adapted. Still, those are some pretty big shoes to fill and I can't help but think it'll always be compared to the movie. So hopefully it's going to be good.
Oct 4, 2023 3:01 AM

Jan 2014
Okay, but if you want to adapt Akira according to the manga, use the best studio and people for it. I don't want any animation abomination like it was with Berserk.
Oct 4, 2023 3:19 AM
Feb 2009
Because $$$

character count
Nya~?
Oct 4, 2023 3:41 AM

Jul 2014
As great as the film is, it's not a faithful adaptation of the source material.
Take care of yourself

Oct 4, 2023 3:59 AM

Aug 2017
uuugh, the mods deleted it from the database and added it again? What?
Oct 4, 2023 4:02 AM

Aug 2012
Its gonna be one of those bad CGI adaptions of classic anime directed by run of the mill Corporate employee who just want his paycheck.
Made by a studio known for bad hentai.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
- Plato
Oct 4, 2023 4:38 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to SMGJohn
Its gonna be one of those bad CGI adaptions of classic anime directed by run of the mill Corporate employee who just want his paycheck.
Made by a studio known for bad hentai.
@SMGJohn, I hope not. Let's wait for any video trailers.
Oct 4, 2023 4:55 AM

Dec 2009
The fact that people don't know how different it is from the manga seems reason enough but following up such animation masterpiece is tough.
Oct 4, 2023 4:58 AM

Nov 2013
Well, the movie is far from a full adaptation, so there's that.
You all need to watch Nami.

Oct 4, 2023 4:59 AM

Nov 2018
I swear this got added to the DB like a year ago? Why was it deleted and then re-added?

I read the manga, the movie only adapted half the series, and wasn't entirely faithful to what it touched.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Oct 4, 2023 5:32 AM
May 2017
Reply to Dracowyn
Probably cause the entire manga was never adapted. Still, those are some pretty big shoes to fill and I can't help but think it'll always be compared to the movie. So hopefully it's going to be good.
@Dracowyn All I heard was that it was going to be a TV series. But not sure about animating everything. They might even condense the story.
Oct 4, 2023 5:47 AM

Oct 2014
I thought this was already an entry. I'd love to see a better adaptation of Akira since the movie was pretty hard to follow. I've heard good things about the manga. I hope they do a good job with the remake, since I know a lot of remakes of old anime tend not to be that great.
Oct 4, 2023 5:57 AM
Jul 2017
My expectations for this are subterranean. The original movie might have taken liberties with the story, but it had money, time, skill, and love, lavished on it. I really don't expect this to have anywhere near the dedication applied in bringing it to the screen. I honestly expect a cheap cash-grab trading on nostalgia.

I'd love to be proved wrong though
Oct 4, 2023 6:00 AM

Jan 2014
If this isn't hand draw and as or better than the Movie then why bother? with modern anime having the most bland average quality because of computers i seriously doubt this will be done in the same quality as the movie.
Oct 4, 2023 6:13 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to _cjessop19_
I swear this got added to the DB like a year ago? Why was it deleted and then re-added?

I read the manga, the movie only adapted half the series, and wasn't entirely faithful to what it touched.
_cjessop19_ said:

"Removed:

September 15

To the Moon (37905), Deep Love (38279), Aoki Uru (20471), Top wo Nerae 3! (38273), Chimera (37437), Akira (Shin Anime) (40054), Orbital Era (40055), Onmyou Hyakki Monogatari (40652), World End Economica (40657), Cencoroll 3 (40020), Code Geass: Dakkan no Z (44304), Ane Naru Mono (41005), Yuri!!! on Ice The Movie: Ice Adolescence (35500), Shishigari (39763): no updates for the past 3-6 years. Most likely cancelled."

Just mods doing their thing...
Oct 4, 2023 6:47 AM

May 2015
Welcome to the era of unnecessary remakes of legendary classic timeless masterpiece anime, first Fist of the North Star and now this lol
Oct 4, 2023 6:59 AM
May 2009
TheBerserker said:
Welcome to the era of unnecessary remakes of legendary classic timeless masterpiece anime, first Fist of the North Star and now this lol

welcome to the era of unaware anime fans.

akira isnt a faithful adaptation and HnK og anine never adapted the last arc.
Oct 4, 2023 7:18 AM

Nov 2007
it seems bizarre to talk about the "faithfulness" of the adaptation when the same person made the film and the manga. it may not a 1:1 detail for detail adaptation or a complete one, but how can a guy not be faithful to his own intentions for his own work? in all likelihood a new one directed by someone else will be a more complete adaptation that is less faithful. otomo is a mangaka who changed the way people drew manga, from paneling to character designs, but his style on the whole is pretty out of step with conventional anime and manga at this point. akira is still an iconic and respected work though so perhaps it will turn out "faithful" enough.

as to why it's being made, it is likely mostly to introduce the work to younger fans who either don't know much about the old one or are turned off by all things old, while intriguing older fans; and to make money in the process of course.
Oct 4, 2023 7:37 AM

Jun 2019
Reply to Alphchan
TheBerserker said:

welcome to the era of unaware anime fans.

akira isnt a faithful adaptation and HnK og anine never adapted the last arc.
@Alphchan
Exactly. It always funny when anime fans who don't know anything about mangas -which is the source materials here- give their opinion like they know something about it.

@ohohohohohoho
Akira's movie just adapt 30% of the manga and change a lot of things. Plus the movie was done when the manga was still going on. So he is right, the movie is not a faithful adaptation of the manga.

@toxxo
We are not in a Disney movie. ;-)

CresusJohnsonOct 4, 2023 8:00 AM
Oct 4, 2023 7:40 AM

Oct 2010
this will likely be more accurate but there's zero percent chance this looks anywhere near as good on a visual level
Oct 4, 2023 7:50 AM

Jul 2008
The manga is better than the movie. I hope this will be a faithful adaptation.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Oct 4, 2023 7:55 AM

Jul 2017
Wasn't this announced a few years ago already?
Oct 4, 2023 8:02 AM
Negator

Mar 2022
The animation for the movie was absolutely top tier and this will never surpass it, just like pretty much every anime hasn’t. Yet as someone who read the manga before watching the movie, I can’t help but feel the animation was the only thing it had going for it, the story was completely lackluster in comparison considering 2 hours of content vs virtually 10 volumes of manga content. If this is a full adaptation I’ll be happy, while already knowing the animation will be no where close to that masterclass. Hopefully it still looks good at least.
Oct 4, 2023 8:05 AM
Jan 2017
waalex11 said:
Good question.

We'll see.

On second thought:

the movie didn't rush the volumes. The manga was still ongoing when the movie came out
Oct 4, 2023 8:08 AM

Nov 2007
Reply to CresusJohnson
@Alphchan
Exactly. It always funny when anime fans who don't know anything about mangas -which is the source materials here- give their opinion like they know something about it.

@ohohohohohoho
Akira's movie just adapt 30% of the manga and change a lot of things. Plus the movie was done when the manga was still going on. So he is right, the movie is not a faithful adaptation of the manga.

@toxxo
We are not in a Disney movie. ;-)

@CresusJohnson

firstly, yes i think a 2 hours movie can adapt 6 big volumes, because my requirement for an adaptation, even a "faithful" adaptation, is not for it to be exactly the same as the original. actually i'd say it's typically a waste of time to adapt something if nothing is changed about it.

however, in this case, i am also well aware that the manga's story is different and that the film was made before the manga was finished. in this case, considering the film was made by THE SAME PERSON as the manga, how can it be called an "unfaithful adaptation?" perhaps it is better to say that it is an incomplete adaptation, or simply an alternate version. point being that even if this new anime tells the "whole" story from the manga, there is a good chance it will be less "faithful" than the film, because to emulate otomo's style is to reproduce more than the narrative details of the manga.
ohohohohohohoOct 4, 2023 8:13 AM
Oct 4, 2023 8:15 AM

Jun 2019
Reply to ohohohohohoho
@CresusJohnson

firstly, yes i think a 2 hours movie can adapt 6 big volumes, because my requirement for an adaptation, even a "faithful" adaptation, is not for it to be exactly the same as the original. actually i'd say it's typically a waste of time to adapt something if nothing is changed about it.

however, in this case, i am also well aware that the manga's story is different and that the film was made before the manga was finished. in this case, considering the film was made by THE SAME PERSON as the manga, how can it be called an "unfaithful adaptation?" perhaps it is better to say that it is an incomplete adaptation, or simply an alternate version. point being that even if this new anime tells the "whole" story from the manga, there is a good chance it will be less "faithful" than the film, because to emulate otomo's style is to reproduce more than the narrative details of the manga.
@ohohohohohoho

So we don't have the same definition of "faithful". I understand your opinion but for me a "faithful adaptation" is adapting the whole manga and not just 30% of it. Specially when the manga is better. ;-)
CresusJohnsonOct 4, 2023 8:25 AM
Oct 4, 2023 8:16 AM

Nov 2012
so the notifs are just someone's balls up? prematurely removed and then re-added?
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Oct 4, 2023 8:16 AM

Nov 2018
Reply to St0rmblade
_cjessop19_ said:

"Removed:

September 15

To the Moon (37905), Deep Love (38279), Aoki Uru (20471), Top wo Nerae 3! (38273), Chimera (37437), Akira (Shin Anime) (40054), Orbital Era (40055), Onmyou Hyakki Monogatari (40652), World End Economica (40657), Cencoroll 3 (40020), Code Geass: Dakkan no Z (44304), Ane Naru Mono (41005), Yuri!!! on Ice The Movie: Ice Adolescence (35500), Shishigari (39763): no updates for the past 3-6 years. Most likely cancelled."

Just mods doing their thing...
@St0rmblade yet most of these have been added in again? I got a notification for Code Geass.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Oct 4, 2023 8:35 AM

Mar 2012
Reply to _cjessop19_
@St0rmblade yet most of these have been added in again? I got a notification for Code Geass.
@_cjessop19_ Deleting all of these solely based on inactivity was stupid in the first place. Covid completely screwed the production of so many things and they're just delayed. The creator of To The Moon literally made an update just last fall saying the film's still being worked on steadily so that alone proves the mods didn't research well enough. And Shin Akira was announced in the very early planning stages just 5 months before covid.
Oct 4, 2023 8:45 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to SparkleDuck
@_cjessop19_ Deleting all of these solely based on inactivity was stupid in the first place. Covid completely screwed the production of so many things and they're just delayed. The creator of To The Moon literally made an update just last fall saying the film's still being worked on steadily so that alone proves the mods didn't research well enough. And Shin Akira was announced in the very early planning stages just 5 months before covid.
SparkleDuck said:
The creator of To The Moon

Is there any info about it on some site I can read? Since MAL deleted the entry I can't even find info on this anime project lol

_cjessop19_ said:
yet most of these have been added in again? I got a notification for Code Geass.

maybe different mods are responsible for it, dunno
Oct 4, 2023 8:50 AM

Mar 2012
Reply to St0rmblade
SparkleDuck said:
The creator of To The Moon

Is there any info about it on some site I can read? Since MAL deleted the entry I can't even find info on this anime project lol

_cjessop19_ said:
yet most of these have been added in again? I got a notification for Code Geass.

maybe different mods are responsible for it, dunno
@St0rmblade Sure. It's an anime film adaptation of an indie game, so pretty niche. I looked at the steam page and saw this update from last year that it's still going through developmental stages. Not cancelled whatsoever.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1182620/view/3127189423511768276
Oct 4, 2023 9:01 AM
Jan 2009
This site has the dumbest fucking database mods I swear to God, up there with vndb

Well at least through this I found out this and Cencoroll3 apparently exist
Oct 4, 2023 9:17 AM

Aug 2019
The 1988 movie sucks as an adaptation. It only adapted like half of the manga, and it changed a lot of stuff. The movie was iconic at the time of its premiere and it obviously had a massive legacy and impact on anime in general, but I loathe it. It's not faithful enough to the source material and the manga remains superior, so the manga deserves to finally get a proper adaptation someday.
Oct 4, 2023 9:49 AM
Oct 2020
Literally my first thought was that meme of ‘Why? why? Why?…. But why??’
Oct 4, 2023 9:53 AM

Feb 2018
Deja vu,I could have sworn this was announced like 2 years ago.
The answer to 1984 is 1776
Oct 4, 2023 11:38 AM

Dec 2020
deleted and readded , im not adding it to my list again there have been no updates for 4 years 😭 i dont ever think its really going to be finished
Oct 4, 2023 12:01 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to SparkleDuck
@St0rmblade Sure. It's an anime film adaptation of an indie game, so pretty niche. I looked at the steam page and saw this update from last year that it's still going through developmental stages. Not cancelled whatsoever.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1182620/view/3127189423511768276
SparkleDuck said:

Thanks. To be honest, I don't think even cancelled projects should be deleted from the DB. There're not really that many of them and they won't clutter the DB, and it's important for research purposes about people's careers, seeing what could've been and so on. Plus some cancelled projects have some production materials that can be of interested. Oh well, just talking to the void.
Oct 4, 2023 9:28 PM

May 2015
ill watch it but im not the biggest fan of akira ngl
My Candies:
Oct 5, 2023 5:41 AM
Nov 2019
Why not ?

I mean regardless of the cgi and all that

It’s good to see classic sci fi coming back

I am getting over all the fantasy medieval isekai reincarnatrion magic and heroes genre…….

Pet sci fi shine again…. Like it did in the 80s 90s and early 2000s
Oct 5, 2023 5:44 AM
Nov 2019
Reply to waalex11
Good question.

We'll see.

On second thought:
@waalex11

Overrated lol bro we where both born after the movie came out…

How is this overrated

I think all the magical medieval isekai’s you see being churned out every season… is what you call overrated…..

Attack on Titan is overrated
But that’s just me….
Oct 5, 2023 5:46 AM
Nov 2019
I get it
Now days the generation of anime watchers aren’t into sci fi…

But the rest of us who grew up with it we are… and still want mor sci fi…

I am fed up with HERO THIS
REINCARNATION THIS
OR MAGIC VENDING MACHINE THAT
Oct 5, 2023 1:33 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to Glutek
Okay, but if you want to adapt Akira according to the manga, use the best studio and people for it. I don't want any animation abomination like it was with Berserk.
@Glutek

You're totally correct. The only good anime adaptation of Berserk is the '90s version, even if they diminished the gore. Akira deserves the best studio to do it up right (just like Berserk deserves), or, as the guy who started the thread said, "why?" The manga is soooo amazing, it could have a whole new fan base if they play their cards right, but as history has shown us, they probably will only put in as much effort as it will take to break even.
Oct 5, 2023 1:47 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to ohohohohohoho
it seems bizarre to talk about the "faithfulness" of the adaptation when the same person made the film and the manga. it may not a 1:1 detail for detail adaptation or a complete one, but how can a guy not be faithful to his own intentions for his own work? in all likelihood a new one directed by someone else will be a more complete adaptation that is less faithful. otomo is a mangaka who changed the way people drew manga, from paneling to character designs, but his style on the whole is pretty out of step with conventional anime and manga at this point. akira is still an iconic and respected work though so perhaps it will turn out "faithful" enough.

as to why it's being made, it is likely mostly to introduce the work to younger fans who either don't know much about the old one or are turned off by all things old, while intriguing older fans; and to make money in the process of course.
@ohohohohohoho

The movie is great, but story-wise it suffered due to the manga being unfinished. I even think I read somewhere that the manga was started after the film was storyboarded and near completion (don't quote me on that, I read that article a while ago). I read the manga after watching the anime, and I came away from it thinking the author wanted to change elements to make sure it would be a different experience than the film. As a fan of both the manga and the anime, I am super excited about a series, and it definitely doesn't need to be a cash grab, because there is more than enough unexplored material to draw from. Will they capitalize on what has been entrusted to them is the real question.

Everybody, if you haven't checked out the manga, you are really missing out!
usernamewhatuserOct 5, 2023 1:57 PM
Oct 5, 2023 2:01 PM

Jun 2016
Not sure about this adaption.
The original is one of the most fluid and stunning animations.

I have a fear that they will include CGi with this one lol like the Trigun. The original trigun is also one of the top animation of all time but they remake it with CGi.

Please be 2D and will check.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Oct 5, 2023 5:24 PM
Jul 2021
Exactly my sentiment! Why? Cash grab? The western woke crew coming after everything dear to us normal folks? I dunno, but this is going to be a travesty and will ruin the mystic & legend of the og one.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Oct 5, 2023 7:04 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Dawizz
Exactly my sentiment! Why? Cash grab? The western woke crew coming after everything dear to us normal folks? I dunno, but this is going to be a travesty and will ruin the mystic & legend of the og one.
@Dawizz Wrong unfortunately.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Akira Readaptation?

SanathKr14 - Oct 4, 2023

27 by usernamewhatuser »»
Mar 29, 7:10 PM

» any updates?

kartiksutharr - Mar 21

4 by thischeetobussin »»
Mar 22, 3:35 PM

» They will ruin this with too much CGI.

TofuTehSurvivor - Oct 4, 2023

32 by Ketamigo »»
Mar 1, 12:01 PM

» Why was the previous version for this anime with 25,000 members removed?

Maciusiek - Oct 4, 2023

15 by northno4 »»
Feb 11, 8:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.