Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 25, 2023 10:18 PM

Jul 2021
I watched some really funny anime like GrandBlue, Asobi Asobae, My Bride is a Mermaid, School Rumble etc. I try watching Lucky Star because people seems recommend it if you like those anime I first listed.

Episode 1 was boring! Almost half an epsiode they just talking about food.The only time its kinda a little funny when they reference street fighter. (It kinda give me hope that it will get funny in later episodes) So I am asking how many episodes I need to watch to let me appreciate this comedy anime??
Sep 25, 2023 10:30 PM
BIG SCHLONG MAN
Apr 2020
I wasn't a big fan of episode 1 either, but everything after it is a comedic masterpiece. Give it at least 5 episodes imo (the director changed in episode 5, so that might affect your enjoyment)
I pretend I'm funny
Sep 25, 2023 10:49 PM
Sep 2022
RjtheGreat14 said:
I watched some really funny anime like GrandBlue, Asobi Asobae, My Bride is a Mermaid, School Rumble etc. I try watching Lucky Star because people seems recommend it if you like those anime I first listed.

Episode 1 was boring! Almost half an epsiode they just talking about food.The only time its kinda a little funny when they reference street fighter. (It kinda give me hope that it will get funny in later episodes) So I am asking how many episodes I need to watch to let me appreciate this comedy anime??

i didn't laugh a single time watching lucky start

if you want a old gag humor anime thats funny then I recommend azumanga daioh and great teacher onizuka
Sep 25, 2023 11:09 PM
Sep 2021
same with azumanga daioh, the Characters themselves are fun but the jokes and the dialogue isn't funny
Sep 25, 2023 11:33 PM
Jul 2018
If you didn't enjoy the first episode, then you simply won't enjoy the show.
Sep 25, 2023 11:49 PM
Jul 2016
Lucky Star gets slightly better with each episode. Episode 1 is infamous for not impressing a lot of viewers, but if you continue watching you’ll find there’s a higher frequency of jokes that land, and the characters also become more interesting. By the end of the series it’s excellent in both the comedy and drama departments.

Also, you’ll enjoy it more if you’ve seen Haruhi first.
Sep 26, 2023 12:25 AM
Nov 2022
when I first started this anime I too got bored while watching the first episode the talk of all this food was too much to grasp and had dropped it however after a couple of years later I tried watching it again and to my surprise I loved the anime
Sep 26, 2023 12:30 AM
May 2015
thought the show was pretty funny and just fun... until her dad came along.
Sep 26, 2023 2:00 AM
Jul 2023
RjtheGreat14 said:

I wouldn't watch it for comedic purposes. it's a cute fun relaxing slice of life that's an amalgamation of mid 2000s anime tropes. an anime of anime if you will. I love lucky star but not because it's funny. I laughed at a few parts here and there but I didn't find much of it humorous.
Sep 26, 2023 2:03 AM

Oct 2016
I loved what Lucky Star stood for back then but times have changed and it may not have aged well maybe give it another ep if its still dry I would let it go. (School Rumble tho W show)
Sep 26, 2023 2:25 AM
anime enjoyer

Nov 2017
El001 said:

I'm sorry, what? "if you don't enjoy the first song of an album, then you simply won't enjoy the album". Nearly the same logic. There are some great shows out there with questionable episodes or pacing decisions that are still considered great shows. Lucky star is very dialogue heavy and builds up pretty nicely, imho.
Hatred.
Sep 26, 2023 2:30 AM
Sep 2020
The comedy hasn’t aged well unless ur an otaku it’s not gonna be funny to u at all. Especially considering it was made in the 2000s
Sep 26, 2023 3:05 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to dmk_0
El001 said:

I'm sorry, what? "if you don't enjoy the first song of an album, then you simply won't enjoy the album". Nearly the same logic. There are some great shows out there with questionable episodes or pacing decisions that are still considered great shows. Lucky star is very dialogue heavy and builds up pretty nicely, imho.
@dmk_0 Doesn't the first episode of Lucky☆Star give a concise overview of the show? If someone disliked it, I don't think they would enjoy the rest of the show. And I didn't mean the first episode was bad in any way, it was great. Your song album comparison is quite misplaced.
Sep 26, 2023 3:17 AM

Dec 2018
Unless you were an anime fan closer to when it aired, I don’t think you’ll find it funny. It’s humour is very indicative of late noughties and early 2010s otaku culture. Lucky Star will forever hold a special place in my heart, but I can’t imagine recommending it in the current day. This isn’t to say that newer anime fans can't enjoy the show, but it definitely has a bit of a barrier to entry.
Sep 26, 2023 5:37 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Aiden64
I wasn't a big fan of episode 1 either, but everything after it is a comedic masterpiece. Give it at least 5 episodes imo (the director changed in episode 5, so that might affect your enjoyment)
@Aiden64 Ok I will give it atleast 5 more episode. Hopefully it became more fun/funny. Episode 1 was really a borefest. I am rolling my eyes almost half an episode characters just talking about food. I watched also some slice of life anime, episode 1 is just wasting time and not interesting in any sense.
Sep 26, 2023 7:15 AM
Jun 2020
bail out. this one just isn't for you. it never really goes either way, funny or otherwise. just my opinion but it stays pretty mediocre
Sep 26, 2023 7:34 AM

Sep 2018
Episode 1 is a fair standard to represent the show so your best option is to drop at that point.
Sep 26, 2023 8:00 AM
anime enjoyer

Nov 2017
@El001 I don't really think so. The first episode is just existing and not really representative of the Gag Humor that comes in the later episodes. I also don't subscribe to the believe, that the rest of the show wouldn't be enjoyable if one didn't like the first episode. There are other examples in the world of entertainment/anime where the beginning was just a drag, but the rest of the show was just a banger. Just like there are anime that are bangers until you get to the end.

As I've said with my comparison: nearly the same logic. So I don't think it was that misplaced^^

@RjtheGreat14 good decision, I hope that you will find it enjoyable. For me personally the first episode of Lucky Star is not that representative of the remaining episodes and can actually be described as a "borefest" - even though I loved the first episode and found it funny in its own way. But remember: this show in particular is all about the characters themselves.
Hatred.
Sep 26, 2023 8:35 AM
Jul 2023
Tbh idk why I love this shit so much, if you don't get it you don't get it simple as really
Sep 26, 2023 8:43 AM
Dec 2021
RjtheGreat14 said:

Gets better later
Sep 26, 2023 9:15 AM

Jan 2021
Lucky Star didn’t age the best. It’s mostly humor surrounding a very specific place in anime culture and if you didn’t live during it or know about it the majority of jokes won’t be funny to you.
Sep 26, 2023 9:54 AM
Feb 2021
MrBoomTop10Anime said:
Tbh idk why I love this shit so much, if you don't get it you don't get it simple as really

same, it never got a belly laugh outta me, but it's comfy af
Sep 26, 2023 9:59 AM
Jul 2023
IbnAurum said:
MrBoomTop10Anime said:

same, it never got a belly laugh outta me, but it's comfy af

It's just Giga vibes. Simple as really. Couple of really heartwarming scenes too.
Sep 26, 2023 12:03 PM
Apr 2020
Chickenleg262607 said:
The comedy hasn’t aged well unless ur an otaku it’s not gonna be funny to u at all. Especially considering it was made in the 2000s

I mean this was like the 6th anime I watched and I still found it fine at the time. I think it differs.
Sep 26, 2023 6:02 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to dmk_0
@El001 I don't really think so. The first episode is just existing and not really representative of the Gag Humor that comes in the later episodes. I also don't subscribe to the believe, that the rest of the show wouldn't be enjoyable if one didn't like the first episode. There are other examples in the world of entertainment/anime where the beginning was just a drag, but the rest of the show was just a banger. Just like there are anime that are bangers until you get to the end.

As I've said with my comparison: nearly the same logic. So I don't think it was that misplaced^^

@RjtheGreat14 good decision, I hope that you will find it enjoyable. For me personally the first episode of Lucky Star is not that representative of the remaining episodes and can actually be described as a "borefest" - even though I loved the first episode and found it funny in its own way. But remember: this show in particular is all about the characters themselves.
@dmk_0 Well I manage to finish clannad first season, so with that in mind I think I have the patience to endure until it became good. I was really just shock how boring episode 1 is (For a comedy anime!). Even clannad episode 1 is more interesting than lucky star episode 1.
Sep 26, 2023 6:40 PM

May 2021
I can't say how many episodes until it gets funny, though I would say it would depend on if you the viewer find the episodes to be funny.
Sep 26, 2023 7:57 PM
Aug 2022
RjtheGreat14 said:

Lucky star is not a quick and punchy comedy like grand blue or Asobi asobase.
It's just a cute anime, with some good 2000s referential humor, and some funny character moments.
But I would recommend you check out The Disastrous Life of Saiki K, Shimoneta (if you don't mind sexual humor), and maybe Teekyu (it's short form and SUPER quick paced)
Sep 26, 2023 8:07 PM
Aug 2022
El001 said:

Ever heard of the 3 to 5 episode rule? Some times anime start off weird. But usually by the 3rd to 5th episode anime will figure out what they want to do. So you can make an educated decision on whether or not you'll like it by then.
KawaiiWazSep 26, 2023 8:54 PM
Sep 26, 2023 8:29 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to dmk_0

@dmk_0 Two songs of the same album are two different pieces of art entirely, which isn’t the case with two different episodes of the same anime. That isn’t “nearly the same logic.” Your comparison is hopelessly misplaced.
Sep 27, 2023 1:14 AM
anime enjoyer

Nov 2017
Reply to KawaiiWaz
RjtheGreat14 said:

It's just a cute anime, with some good 2000s referential humor, and some funny character moments.
But I would recommend you check out The Disastrous Life of Saiki K, Shimoneta (if you don't mind sexual humor), and maybe Teekyu (it's short form and SUPER quick paced)
KawaiiWaz said:

Exactly! There are moments which are quick and punchy, but most of the time it is in the heavy and completely over-the-top dialogues that the comedy can be found. The characters are so diverse and I think that's also something the first episode does well: show the various personalities of the characters.

KawaiiWaz said:
Ever heard of the 3 to 5 episode rule? Some times anime start off weird. But usually by the 3rd to 5th episode anime will figure out what they want to do. So you can make an educated decision on whether or not you'll like it by then.

@KawaiiWaz I have to agree with this one. Dip your toes into the anime/manga. Only judging by the first episode, I would have dropped many of my most favorite anime of all time. But sometimes I break the 3 to 5 ep rule... Seikon no Qwaser was one of these anime... I just couldn't :D

El001 said:
two different pieces of art entirely, which isn’t the case with two different episodes of the same anime.

@El001 I have to disagree. If the pacing of an episode changes abruptly it is a completely different anime. There is even the example with Byousoku 5 Centimeter where the final chapter completely changes the pacing and most people even mention this, but they still love the ending because the ending itself is beautiful. But the abrupt change in pacing is a bit off-putting.
Back to my comparison: the albums I listen to are not just randomly thrown-in songs, but make up a story. The intro song for those always sets the mood and expectations of what is to follow - thus my comparison.
Hatred.
Sep 27, 2023 3:01 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to KawaiiWaz
RjtheGreat14 said:

@KawaiiWaz I already watched The Disastrous life of saiki k, shimoneta. Those are REALLY GOOD comedy anime. When I watched Lucky Star. I was expecting similar comedy like them. I have to check Teekyu. its the first time I heard of it.
Sep 27, 2023 6:39 AM
Aug 2022
RjtheGreat14 said:
@KawaiiWaz I already watched The Disastrous life of saiki k, shimoneta. Those are REALLY GOOD comedy anime. When I watched Lucky Star. I was expecting similar comedy like them. I have to check Teekyu. its the first time I heard of it.

Yea! Definitely check out teekyu it's pretty weird but you may enjoy it. But also check out golden boy if you haven't its a classic
Sep 27, 2023 9:23 AM
Aug 2022
@dmk_0 Precisely, it definitely has some moments of quick comedy but it's mostly just about characters, their personality, and there interactions with each other. (Which is one of my favorite types of shows)
Sep 27, 2023 4:01 PM
Apr 2020
RjtheGreat14 said:

I don't really consider lucky star as a comedy it's a slice of life at its heart. If you have a group of likable characters interacting with each other you are probably going to get a laugh or two but that isn't why I like lucky star. Luck star has comedy but I would never recommend it to someone as a comedy.
Sep 28, 2023 8:34 AM
Dec 2022
RjtheGreat14 said:

I'll say as somebody who loves that show that if you didn't like the first episode, you won't like the rest of it

Also somebody said it gets "excellent in the drama department"? Which makes no sense because there is ZERO drama in lucky star. Absolutely none
Sep 28, 2023 6:21 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to favoredbeach
RjtheGreat14 said:

I'll say as somebody who loves that show that if you didn't like the first episode, you won't like the rest of it

Also somebody said it gets "excellent in the drama department"? Which makes no sense because there is ZERO drama in lucky star. Absolutely none
@favoredbeach I have continued watching it, right now im episode 4. It get slightly better for me. I think the main problem of episode 1 is, the character talk about food for almost 10 mins. But as a new viewer for this anime, Why should I care about this characters talking food for about 10 mins??? Lucky Star definitely screw up in episode 1!
Sep 28, 2023 6:56 PM
Dec 2022
Reply to RjtheGreat14
@favoredbeach I have continued watching it, right now im episode 4. It get slightly better for me. I think the main problem of episode 1 is, the character talk about food for almost 10 mins. But as a new viewer for this anime, Why should I care about this characters talking food for about 10 mins??? Lucky Star definitely screw up in episode 1!
@RjtheGreat14 That's good to hear at least. Yeah I do hear a lot about episode 1 being a little too laid back. Just keep episode 1 in mind because when it comes down to it lucky star is absolutely a show about mundane, day-to-day activities and conversations. But if you find yourself connecting with the humor, that may be enough to keep the ball rolling
Sep 29, 2023 1:57 PM

Sep 2014
tbh lucky star's most memorable part is the character designs and opening song, but besides that I can't remember a thing. I wouldn't expect my bride is a mermaid levels of funny, but rather it's a cozy show for turning off your brain after work or school.
Oct 1, 2023 7:16 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to StarryyChai
tbh lucky star's most memorable part is the character designs and opening song, but besides that I can't remember a thing. I wouldn't expect my bride is a mermaid levels of funny, but rather it's a cozy show for turning off your brain after work or school.
@StarryyChai Yeah My Bride is a Mermaid is just very good in comedy! I am actually from the forum post in My Bride as a Mermaid, and there is a post there title "Any anime recommendation that as funny like My Bride is a mermaid?" and one recomendation there is Lucky Star. So I was kinda hype after watching My Bride is a mermaid thinking that lucky star will be the same level of comedy.
Oct 1, 2023 7:27 AM

Sep 2014
RjtheGreat14 said:
@StarryyChai Yeah My Bride is a Mermaid is just very good in comedy! I am actually from the forum post in My Bride as a Mermaid, and there is a post there title "Any anime recommendation that as funny like My Bride is a mermaid?" and one recomendation there is Lucky Star. So I was kinda hype after watching My Bride is a mermaid thinking that lucky star will be the same level of comedy.

I would count lucky star as more silly than funny, idk it's just not something you laugh out loud at. I remember my bride is a mermaid being really funny so it's hard to beat. honestly I recommend baka and test if you haven't seen it. I watched it a long time ago but I remember laughing a lot!
Oct 14, 2023 12:35 AM

Jun 2021
"I died a thousand times waiting for it..."
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Dec 8, 2023 11:20 PM

Jul 2009
Your complaint about "it's just about food!!!" is as old as the show, and I never understood it.
Most slice of life topics are mundane - shopping, feeling cold in winter, eating, playing games, going to school, having a dog.

The whole point of the long conversation about food is to build a clear image of each character in your mind. They way they talk about food is a very nice preview of how everyone's personalities are going to be moving on. The show's comedy isn't supposed to be hysterical comedy (saw you mentioning Shimoneta, an ecchi on-the-nose comedy), just relatable highschool topics - including otaku media.

Maybe with the exception Lucky Channel and the scenes where Konata goes shopping for goods and the clerks show up. Those are meant to be over-the-top and thus funny.
CAMPAIGN: If you write an anime review, please make it short.
You're not a writer, Jim, I want meta-information, not a teenager's impression of a clickbait journalist.

Dec 9, 2023 4:21 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Barusamikosu
Your complaint about "it's just about food!!!" is as old as the show, and I never understood it.
Most slice of life topics are mundane - shopping, feeling cold in winter, eating, playing games, going to school, having a dog.

The whole point of the long conversation about food is to build a clear image of each character in your mind. They way they talk about food is a very nice preview of how everyone's personalities are going to be moving on. The show's comedy isn't supposed to be hysterical comedy (saw you mentioning Shimoneta, an ecchi on-the-nose comedy), just relatable highschool topics - including otaku media.

Maybe with the exception Lucky Channel and the scenes where Konata goes shopping for goods and the clerks show up. Those are meant to be over-the-top and thus funny.
@Barusamikosu The problem with them talking about food in the first episode for about 10 mins is that I dont know anything yet about this characters (or I dont really care about them yet) so talking about food for about half an episode is boring!

If they introduce konata and the gang in the first minute of the episode in more engaging way, I will have no problem about them talking food for about 10 minutes more.
Dec 11, 2023 8:49 AM

Jul 2009
Reply to RjtheGreat14
@Barusamikosu The problem with them talking about food in the first episode for about 10 mins is that I dont know anything yet about this characters (or I dont really care about them yet) so talking about food for about half an episode is boring!

If they introduce konata and the gang in the first minute of the episode in more engaging way, I will have no problem about them talking food for about 10 minutes more.
@RjtheGreat14 If they introduce the characters, then the food scene is wasted, as it was devised as the character introduction bit.

I agree it's not for everyone, but I can't imagine how 6:15 minutes (I just timed it) of an anime can scar so many people.
In fact, did you feel any difference in pace once the director has been changed? Because I'm a big fan of the show and I honestly didn't feel any difference between the episodes, sometimes I think it's placebo to most people, they just learn to appreciate the show gradually and then try to rationalize it as the director change, when it's actually just a matter of the characters growing on them.
You're not a writer, Jim, I want meta-information, not a teenager's impression of a clickbait journalist.

Dec 11, 2023 8:05 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Barusamikosu
@RjtheGreat14 If they introduce the characters, then the food scene is wasted, as it was devised as the character introduction bit.

I agree it's not for everyone, but I can't imagine how 6:15 minutes (I just timed it) of an anime can scar so many people.
In fact, did you feel any difference in pace once the director has been changed? Because I'm a big fan of the show and I honestly didn't feel any difference between the episodes, sometimes I think it's placebo to most people, they just learn to appreciate the show gradually and then try to rationalize it as the director change, when it's actually just a matter of the characters growing on them.
@Barusamikosu Yeah I agree the later episode the character grown on me and the later slice of life moments is a less bit boring, But the food scene in episode 1 is just so boring, there is a more good way to introduce your characters than this!

For example the anime YuruYuri is almost the same like Lucky star but they introduce there character in more engaging way in episode 1 of that anime.
Dec 12, 2023 9:22 PM

Jul 2009
Reply to RjtheGreat14
@Barusamikosu Yeah I agree the later episode the character grown on me and the later slice of life moments is a less bit boring, But the food scene in episode 1 is just so boring, there is a more good way to introduce your characters than this!

For example the anime YuruYuri is almost the same like Lucky star but they introduce there character in more engaging way in episode 1 of that anime.
@RjtheGreat14 Funny you'd mention specifically YrYr, because I watched it expecting another Lucky Star and ended up finding the whole anime a snorefest. Crazy world, huh?
(I think it had to do with the soundtrack and bloomy artstyle, the school felt completely empty to me, like everything was happening in a vacuum.)

I did however like the manga when I read it a few years later, very nice pace.

The closest I've gotten to Lucky Star in another show was probably Minami-Ke, but that one is more comedy-focused. And the quality varies wildly between seasons, with S4 being unbelievably better than all the others.

Dec 12, 2023 9:31 PM

Apr 2012
I might have thought that this was some kind of meta-ironic trolling if at some point I hadn’t realized that too many years have passed since the anime was released and many zoomers simply don’t understand why people used to find it so funny.
Dec 13, 2023 2:26 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Barusamikosu
@RjtheGreat14 Funny you'd mention specifically YrYr, because I watched it expecting another Lucky Star and ended up finding the whole anime a snorefest. Crazy world, huh?
(I think it had to do with the soundtrack and bloomy artstyle, the school felt completely empty to me, like everything was happening in a vacuum.)

I did however like the manga when I read it a few years later, very nice pace.

The closest I've gotten to Lucky Star in another show was probably Minami-Ke, but that one is more comedy-focused. And the quality varies wildly between seasons, with S4 being unbelievably better than all the others.
@Barusamikosu In case of Yuri Yuri atleast there are more character animation unlike lucky star most of the time only the mouth of the characters move and little no no character motion and it added to the boringness of lucky star.

Maybe Yuri Yuri is a bad example. Nichijou is much better comparison. from what I remember Nichijou started its episode 1 with some crazy animation comedy, and helps introduce the character in more engaging way than talking food for almost 10 mins! (Im really salty about that scene!)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Joseph_ - Aug 27, 2007

113 by LaviiS »»
May 12, 11:53 PM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

chibuki - Sep 16, 2007

253 by EggWithNoPan »»
Apr 20, 1:55 AM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Sep 10, 2007

85 by biuberry »»
Apr 9, 2:24 AM

Poll: » Lucky Star Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - May 22, 2007

84 by Celt1cs »»
Apr 7, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sidestep - Aug 19, 2007

62 by biuberry »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.