Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2023 9:31 PM

Oct 2019
Just like I assumed, we see Orinoko perspective in this story now. She wanted to help her father make a fine sword since he hasn’t been able to and used the robot to replace her. It’s….something. A bit sad but I think the rockian bros have been the best story. It was quite interesting how their family members were swordsmith, sushi chef, and a yakuza member.
2d haruko is nice. Very funny she stole the Rockians stomach part.
And she knows how to work her magic on kids
Atomsk did went hard tho
Overall, I only really liked the Rockinians throughout the entire show, story and character wise. Wasn’t into the other 2 stories. I just wasnt satisfied by them. Haruko is still haruko. Animation had some moments but I still wasn’t a fan of the 3d. Show tried a lot to copy from the OG but i still wasnt feeling it.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Sep 23, 2023 9:40 PM
Sep 2022
if I'm going to be honest why are the last 2 eps just the 1st ep but from a different perspective like episode 2 did it good but this one not so much and yeah I guess they added a bit more to it but it was kinda the same thing. this episode kinda sucked
Sep 23, 2023 9:46 PM

Mar 2014
This mini series felt like it was half it's own thing, and half homage to the original FLCL. There were a lot of directly referenced scenes from the OG season. It felt like nothing really happened since it was just one story told from 3 perspectives but it did establish some things in the FLCL lore like aliens and interplanetary travel, and how the irons just "show up" one day.
Sep 23, 2023 10:20 PM
Sep 2020
Hoping something better from shoegaze.
Sep 23, 2023 10:41 PM
Apr 2022
Hopefully Shoegaze can do something cool.
Sep 23, 2023 10:43 PM

Oct 2012
It's been a long time, but I think I liked this more than Progressive and Alternative?
Sep 23, 2023 11:07 PM
Aug 2023
Vysarine said:
This mini series felt like it was half it's own thing, and half homage to the original FLCL. There were a lot of directly referenced scenes from the OG season. It felt like nothing really happened since it was just one story told from 3 perspectives but it did establish some things in the FLCL lore like aliens and interplanetary travel, and how the irons just "show up" one day.

Its still FLCL so its still confusing as heck lmao
Sep 24, 2023 12:06 AM

Apr 2020
Thank god it was only 3 eps.
This is not FLCL.
3/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Sep 24, 2023 10:04 AM

Mar 2019
That was great. It was way better than Progressive and Alternative. If it had only been a little bit longer I would say it's even better than FLCL. Three episodes felt too short. It still managed to be really good. Btw, I wasn't into how it looked based on the first episode, but episodes 2 and 3 had a lot of pretty visuals.
Sep 24, 2023 11:06 AM
Feb 2020
Does anyone know what song is playing when Orinoko is in the shuttle?
Sep 24, 2023 11:59 AM

Apr 2012
this show reminded me latest attempts to resurrect the corpse of NGE. it somehow reminds FLCL cause they reuse some scenes but add new characters, emphasize overall insanity of what happens, and use same ost... but there were no real enjoyment like from original. i'd say it was 5/10, maybe i'll watch announced sequel to this, but my expectations are low.
sasahara_nSep 24, 2023 12:05 PM
To err is human. To purr is feline (c)
Sep 24, 2023 1:00 PM

Jan 2021
Oninoko story really had that extra sting in the tail....
Sep 24, 2023 1:03 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to PRIVATEMENACE
Does anyone know what song is playing when Orinoko is in the shuttle?
@PRIVATEMENACE It's Sayonara Universe by The Pillows
Sep 24, 2023 1:06 PM
Feb 2020
Hayley2877 said:

thank you so much!!!
Sep 24, 2023 1:08 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to PRIVATEMENACE
Hayley2877 said:

thank you so much!!!
@PRIVATEMENACE No problem
Sep 24, 2023 2:38 PM

Mar 2013
It wasn't bad overall, but I'm left wondering what the point of this was. Like, the previous entries seemed to continue/reset the timeline, but this one just seems... there? Maybe Shoegaze will expand on things.
Sep 24, 2023 8:17 PM
Sep 2023
I doubt they’ll make any that come close to the original but the animation in this was particularly substandard. What WAS the point? They could have made more (spinoffs?prequels?sequels?IDK…) or whatever but the stellar animation was half the greatness of the original and that cheap CG stuff didn’t cut it.
Sep 25, 2023 1:00 PM

Jul 2011
I am so salty that Shonari ended being dragged down into the cycle of violence that killed his brother, he was the best character and it sucks knowing that he probably will die in some gang war

Overall it was ok, once you get over the aesthetics choices it is enjoyable, a solid 3/5 or 7/10 it could have used more time to explore its themes and develop its characters

This could have worked better as its own original series rather than as a FLCL spinoff, maybe just keep the soundtrack by the Pillows which did carry a lot of the ambience of the series
Sep 26, 2023 9:36 AM

Jan 2011
Good ending. People won't watch episodes 2 and 3 but if they did they would find this wasn't that bad. It's not the best though.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Sep 26, 2023 11:45 AM

Apr 2021
any1 knows where I can watch episode 3 without the scuffed 2 seconds late subtitles? 9anime had all episodes like that, but gogoanime had better subs for 1 and 2. Sadly I haven't found anything for the third
Sep 28, 2023 9:13 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Pure style FLCL and the guitar attack was sublime!!!
kekeke

5/10

thanks!
Oct 5, 2023 9:37 AM
Oct 2019
eh, it was fine. a little too short. and i'm not sure what the point was in the end. but it had flcl-like vibes to it, maybe it was primarily the music?

6/10. it's better than it's rating on MAL but it's not exceptional. obviously going to suffer a little bit when you compare it to the flcl original masterpiece
Oct 8, 2023 12:53 PM
Oct 2020
7/10. A perfectly acceptable series that makes you feel good.

Of course it’s not the original. It’s not even FLCL Alternative. But I liked it for what it is. FLCL has always been good with characters even if it fails to capture the original’s charm. But I’d say this would have been a great FLCL series if it was just longer. 3 episodes is just not enough.
Oct 8, 2023 11:38 PM

Apr 2019
Not a bad final episode. Hearing 'Funny Bunny' again was awesome and it fit in pretty nicely. Heck, the latter half of the episode sorta felt like the first FLCL, especially with the use of 'Last Dinosaur' in almost the exact same way it was used in the original.

Orinoko's story was also a bit sad as well, with her father who programmed this robot with her mom's memories as well as being sick; and also dying in the episode too.
Would've liked to see all three be able to go to 'the future' but unlike Orinoko, their place in on earth.

It's always tough to not try and compare these sequels to the original. But they're just not really able to portray the same story or evoke the same emotions as well as the original.
With that being said, I'm in not saying that this addition to the sereis was bad. It bears a few similarities to Progressive and Alternative, and although I didn't like it as much as Alternative, it got to the point and told everything it wanted to to. Which I can commend them for.

Honestly, it ended up being a bit better than I thought it was gonna be.
arcticmontysOct 8, 2023 11:52 PM
Oct 9, 2023 1:34 PM
Oct 2023
neatly pulled everything together...just needs a little patience like last time!!
Oct 23, 2023 3:51 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
What an amazing closure. These three episodes came so close to the greatness of the original, they might even be on par for me. Heagin The Pillows go at it was such a nostalgic strike for me. I loved this way more than I thought I would.
Oct 30, 2023 10:56 AM

Sep 2008
Got a chance to watch through this series over the weekend while I was away on a trip to Boston. Far as quick thoughts go, I see they were trying for something different for the narrative with the focus on the three separate characters being linked to Haruko. However, the story and setting's a bit too busy to properly flesh things out in just three episodes. Also comparing it to the original, it's not as rich in depth with what it offers up in comparison as Progressive and Alternative, the latter's issues aside, made the effort to have rich depth and tight storytelling in their short time frames. Also, the shoddy CG animation didn't help matters. Not the worst anime overall I've seen, but definitely the worst within the franchise I've seen up to this point.

Guess I'm moving on to Shoegaze next.
Nov 4, 2023 5:59 AM

Nov 2010
The scenes of Orinoko's parents dying, plus the OST, are heartwarming. Oh man, I fear for the day I lose my parents, too. It's gonna hit really hard, and I will never be ready for that kind of pain. The heartbreak when getting NTR'ed or breaking up with a GF is nothing in comparison.

I want Haruka to kiss me like that!
Good bittersweet ending. I love the OST in this show!
Nov 12, 2023 7:56 AM

Mar 2019
it wasn't as bad as everyone make it to me and it wasn't as good as the old anime either it was just fine
a 6/10 easy rating for me
Jan 21, 11:02 PM

Apr 2023
thank god its finally over jesus
ive seem unlocked doors more secure than whoever wrote this
why were all the "emotional moments" puncuated with random jokes?? was i not even SUPPOSED to care??
why does it look like that? why were half the scenes not even animated?? who thought this was a good idea?
the closest thing to enjoyment i got from this was knowing ill never have to watch it again

thank god FLCL only has 1 season
Mar 9, 10:04 AM

Oct 2013
I actually really liked it beside the cgi
Way better than Progressive and Alternative.

And it actually feels like a prequel from the original FLCL

It's really sad for the two boys though...

More topics from this board

» This IS Fooly Cooly

benniboii - Sep 11, 2023

22 by benniboii »»
May 9, 9:14 PM

Poll: » FLCL: Grunge Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireRifle64 - Sep 9, 2023

66 by 0foron »»
May 4, 3:46 AM

Poll: » FLCL: Grunge Episode 2 Discussion

FireRifle64 - Sep 16, 2023

21 by MizuhoKamui »»
Nov 3, 2023 11:27 PM

» Why won't they let it die?!

AnimeMastery - Sep 15, 2023

3 by AnimeMastery »»
Oct 13, 2023 5:18 PM

» stop milking this series :(

EmilCioran - Mar 18, 2022

36 by xBuster6 »»
Sep 12, 2023 6:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.