Forum Settings
Forums
New
Are you fine with robots being in this club's character relations?
Sep 12, 2023 8:17 AM
Nov 2021
Let's settle this once for all and get new people who stumble across the club in the future know!

Basically,
in many Sci-Fi manga, anime or manhwa where there are robot, android or something-in-between girls, they are almost all the times incapable of having emotions and therefore emotionless.

Some emotionless kuudere microwaves for example are:
https://myanimelist.net/character/213891/Mina Mina from My Wife Has No Emotion.
https://myanimelist.net/character/124049 Isla (or Aira?) from Plastic Memories.

There also are robot girls in the club's character relations alerady, theese ones for example show pretty up at the top.
https://myanimelist.net/character/6207 Aegis from Persona 3.
https://myanimelist.net/character/44 Eve from Black Cat.
https://myanimelist.net/character/89919/Miss_Monochrome Miss Monochrome from Miss Monochrome-san.

"But robot girls aren't really girls" one would argue. That's true and that is the reason I am writing this, to know the views of the club and dispute whether they are acceptable in the club or not.

I (maybe you too) expect to see a conclusion atleast in 2 years in the comments of this post.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 15, 2023 2:45 PM

Jan 2009
Sorry about the delayed reply, uhm ... well I guess you can see that after shadow left activity has been dwin- I mean it went on a sharp decline who am I kidding.

Now onto your question, yes this was discussed a while back, we got to our specific conclusions, namely the criteria that define a female character as is.

The "girl" part of the definition is understood as a female character, besides the obvious considerations, this term excludes all cases in which:

#1 -The character was not originally created or determined to be female/gynomorphic when it came into existence, including genderless entities, biological/chromosomal sex change, transformations. Only instances of past lives are exempt from this rule.

#2 -The character can shapeshift and is not female/gynomorphic in its standard form, if said character has no standard form, it is defined as genderless; refer to 1. (note this does not include crossdressing)

#3 -The character used to be a female, but is now irreversibly transformed into a male (perma genderbending).

#4 -The character has no shape, physical form or definite femenine/gynomorphic features, minimum requirement is voice.

NOW:::
1. Has to be a female/gynomorphic being since the beginning (of its existence).
2. There is no evidence in the canon works that can disprove or change her status as a female.
3. Does not lose her gynomorphic features (I guess certain types of transformations would be allowed, as long as they don't affect the character, we won't remove Karuta for turning into a giant skeleton for example).

I like this one because it bars most of the TYPE MOON weird iterations of male characters portrayed as female just because CGDCT sells.

This discussion was brought up by me actually, because of the infamous case of this "girl" from Un-Go Sasa Kazamori.

That one time we just removed this character based on the argument that this entity was possessing a gynomorphic body rather than being one to begin with, I'd say the mainly important part of the definition of a "Girl" would be to be conceived as one, although one has to understand the implications of said problem in real life settings ... things like Swyer .. or the possibility of it existing in anime, I'm guessing in that case chromosomal sex would supersede for being the most fundamental and quintessential definition of gender, but I mean, applying that logic in anime seems like a bit overkill .. if not entirely complicated and .. like what the hell am I supposed to do? run a karyotype scan on an anime character?

So you get the idea, primary traits are key, so someone like Bridget would be barred from being granted any status, but someone like that weird strand of hair that apparently belonged to a woman ... I guess that would count as a female still.
DrMondaiNashiSep 15, 2023 2:55 PM
Sep 16, 2023 10:11 AM
Nov 2021
Reply to DrMondaiNashi
Sorry about the delayed reply, uhm ... well I guess you can see that after shadow left activity has been dwin- I mean it went on a sharp decline who am I kidding.

Now onto your question, yes this was discussed a while back, we got to our specific conclusions, namely the criteria that define a female character as is.

The "girl" part of the definition is understood as a female character, besides the obvious considerations, this term excludes all cases in which:

#1 -The character was not originally created or determined to be female/gynomorphic when it came into existence, including genderless entities, biological/chromosomal sex change, transformations. Only instances of past lives are exempt from this rule.

#2 -The character can shapeshift and is not female/gynomorphic in its standard form, if said character has no standard form, it is defined as genderless; refer to 1. (note this does not include crossdressing)

#3 -The character used to be a female, but is now irreversibly transformed into a male (perma genderbending).

#4 -The character has no shape, physical form or definite femenine/gynomorphic features, minimum requirement is voice.

NOW:::
1. Has to be a female/gynomorphic being since the beginning (of its existence).
2. There is no evidence in the canon works that can disprove or change her status as a female.
3. Does not lose her gynomorphic features (I guess certain types of transformations would be allowed, as long as they don't affect the character, we won't remove Karuta for turning into a giant skeleton for example).

I like this one because it bars most of the TYPE MOON weird iterations of male characters portrayed as female just because CGDCT sells.

This discussion was brought up by me actually, because of the infamous case of this "girl" from Un-Go Sasa Kazamori.

That one time we just removed this character based on the argument that this entity was possessing a gynomorphic body rather than being one to begin with, I'd say the mainly important part of the definition of a "Girl" would be to be conceived as one, although one has to understand the implications of said problem in real life settings ... things like Swyer .. or the possibility of it existing in anime, I'm guessing in that case chromosomal sex would supersede for being the most fundamental and quintessential definition of gender, but I mean, applying that logic in anime seems like a bit overkill .. if not entirely complicated and .. like what the hell am I supposed to do? run a karyotype scan on an anime character?

So you get the idea, primary traits are key, so someone like Bridget would be barred from being granted any status, but someone like that weird strand of hair that apparently belonged to a woman ... I guess that would count as a female still.
@DrMondaiNashi My thoughts exactly.
I just wanted to make future people who come across this club know, that this club does infact "like" even theese emotionless woman shaped mechas. :)
Maybe you could add Mina from My Wife Has No Emotions in the catalogue? I saw you in the club's comments also say the manga's name and that manga made me write this.

Also I expected a reply way way later lol.
Sep 17, 2023 8:21 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Lennuh
@DrMondaiNashi My thoughts exactly.
I just wanted to make future people who come across this club know, that this club does infact "like" even theese emotionless woman shaped mechas. :)
Maybe you could add Mina from My Wife Has No Emotions in the catalogue? I saw you in the club's comments also say the manga's name and that manga made me write this.

Also I expected a reply way way later lol.
@Lennuh

On the character definitions we came across many examples of "artificial" girls, it's even a category for the "emotionless" subtype, in which you will have a female character that is "non-human" this one would include anything from androids to supernatural beings like a living doll and suchlike, these beings are determined not to have emotions because of their inherent lack of humanity, we classify these cases as "type C emotionless girl"

They have their own specific mannerisms and other tropes that you only observe in that subtype, incidentally, as far as our club is concerned, the first emotionless girl from any kind that ever existed in anime, that we know of, was indeed a type C emotionless. So it's a very important group of characters to be sure.

As for your question, I personally stopped adding manga/novel only characters because of some problems we had in the past categorizing some of them, an old admin did add a bunch of those but since they have no voice and often their hair colour can't be positively identified there are a lot of missing traits we just can't work with, plus the fact any possible future adaptation can give the character a spin and recreate many of the original features, personality included, this more or less happened with Aya Orihata from Boogiepop, back then it was a light novel character, and when the specific chapter adaptation came for the series 20th anniversary, Orihata's personality was different from the one in the original novel, I for one, only add characters that appear in anime, and even then when their appearances are more than only a few minutes, characters with very minor roles are hard to tipify as well, because we lack too much information sometimes .. like that Lapis Lazuli girl from Nadesico that only appears for a few seconds in the movie.
DrMondaiNashiSep 17, 2023 8:25 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Kuudere, dandere, introverted and logical female love stories romance

kiwi0fruit - Sep 4, 2020

12 by kiwi0fruit »»
Apr 17, 12:11 AM

» Kuudere is (Not) a Personality

DrMondaiNashi - Nov 29, 2022

0 by DrMondaiNashi »»
Nov 29, 2022 8:41 AM

» The Neglected Group: Dandere

DrMondaiNashi - Jan 13, 2018

12 by DrMondaiNashi »»
May 31, 2022 6:02 PM

» Who are your favorite kuudere or dandere character(s)? ( 1 2 3 4 )

EtherSword - Mar 22, 2009

164 by Spicelit »»
May 15, 2021 10:43 PM

» New character suggestions

mvhcmaniac - May 18, 2020

12 by DrMondaiNashi »»
May 28, 2020 1:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.