Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 9, 2023 9:34 PM

Oct 2019
Not really into the CGI stuff. At times it looks ok and others im just not digging it. Great to hear the pillows once again. Wasnt all too interested in the cast tho. Interesting setting tho with the mash up of yakuza, space flight, and Rockenians.
I need to see more but man, havent been feeling these new FLCLs. I just cant dig'em
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Sep 9, 2023 9:49 PM
Mar 2017
I thought it was fine. Although the episode felt super cluttered, they just kept throwing things in left and right. I know the CGI will be a huge turnoff for most people but I thought it looked good in a few places, nothing mind blowing but I can still praise a few shots.
Sep 9, 2023 9:50 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
That was about as messy as I thought it would be. The CG is looking fairly iffy and a number of shots were lifted directly from the original series. Not only that, it copied a number of beats from the first episode of the original series too. It just feels lazy.

It seems all the sequels are leaning a lot harder into the sci-fi aspect, while it was only one small element of the original series. This too will likely misunderstand what the original was trying to say, and become another forgettable series.

At least we got sexy shots of Haruko.
Sep 9, 2023 10:27 PM

Feb 2021
Yeah, that's about what I was expecting. Art is dead in America.
Sep 9, 2023 11:16 PM
Apr 2022
I thought it was ok and i liked it, but the CGI was jank at times and, as always, it does not even compare to the original. However, I’ll still watch it!!
Sep 9, 2023 11:39 PM

Mar 2014
Everyone is going to complain about the CGI but it was alright so far as an introduction. Haruko is the highlight as always, and I hope they were just getting the blatant OG FLCL references out of the way to do their own thing now. We get that it's pretty clearly using nearly identical characters as before but how are they different, hopefully time will tell
Sep 10, 2023 3:45 AM
Apr 2021
ngl it was pretty awful all around.
There were a few close up animated shots that looked pretty good.
Sep 10, 2023 6:02 AM

Jan 2021
Just as insane and confusiing as the original? Sign me up!
Sep 10, 2023 6:20 AM
Feb 2023
just let flcl die at this point
Sep 10, 2023 6:52 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I liked it so far and the CGI animation wasn't as bad as some people claimed to be. It's nice that they got The Pillows again to do the sequels again so I know the soundtrack is going to kick ass this time around.
Sep 10, 2023 7:37 AM
May 2016
The quality of animation has become blocky over its previous style. The story seems to have lost it edge
Sep 10, 2023 9:39 AM
Jul 2017
This feels like utter dogshit in the making. An insult to the original. I'll take whatever new Pillows I can get and leave. but who knows maybe is will make alternative and progressive look a lot better à la Disney star wars making the prequels look like gold.
Sep 10, 2023 1:00 PM
Mar 2014
pure garbage, this isn't flcl
Sep 10, 2023 1:10 PM

Mar 2020
pros:

+ the pillows
+ that one scene where haruko complains about dub and sub

cons:

- the rest

pretty bad first episode, the animation looked worse than RWBY and I hate all the new characters except for the drunk brother of the rock dude, he can stay.
Sep 10, 2023 1:53 PM

Aug 2014
It was amazing! CGI is not always crap. It depends if done carefully. Tastefully. I wonder where the story is going. Quite confused but then again Season 1 of FLCL was like that for me too. LoL. I am glad we have Kari Wahlgren voicing Haruko. Literally why I watch FLCL her character. Her crazy. Well, that and The Pillows music. By the way, if you like The Pillows give Ling tosite sigure a listen they have that type of sound you will enjoy if you like The Pillows. Not the same but that less mainstream Japanese Rock sound.
Sep 10, 2023 2:08 PM
Nov 2020
Each new FLCL anime is a bigger insult to the original, Adult Swim should stay away from anime
Sep 10, 2023 2:12 PM

Sep 2008
Sampled some of the first episode before I chose to not go any further. Quick thoughts...

-Not a big fan of the CG animation as it looks a bit rough in a number of shots.
-Divided reception on Progressive and Alternative aside, both at least made their efforts to offer different flavors of "growing up" from the perspective of a middle school or high school student. While going a bit harder on some sci-fi elements compared to the prior three entries of the franchise, Grunge still appears to borrow a fair bit of story and aesthetic elements from the first series, all the way down to Shinpachi being similar to Naota on his cynicism of the town he lives in.

For anyone interested living in America, Adult Swim has the first episode of the series available to stream for free from their site.
Sep 10, 2023 3:05 PM
Mar 2023
I thought it was ok. CGI Animation style will obviously be criticized so im not even gonna mention it. However, i think the special scenes that look 2D were done well. Haruko complaining about Dub and Sub was funny. I hope the rest of the show doesn't get worse.
Sep 10, 2023 3:17 PM

Apr 2012
that was... strange. i hated it as FLCL fan, i think they're raping the original's corpse, but... let's see what's next.

ps: 3D is not an issue anymore in contemporary anime, so i even didn't take it into consideration.
To err is human. To purr is feline (c)
Sep 10, 2023 3:38 PM
Dec 2020
FLCL is back.

Only this series could use terrible CGI as an aesthetic and actually pull it off.

Already infinitely better than the 2018 seasons.
Sep 10, 2023 4:16 PM
Aug 2022
the cg looked good at some parts and absolutely awful at others :/ the story and characters could be fine though, we'll see. i wont make any hard judgements on it until ive seen more but i hope its at least better than alternative and progressive
Sep 10, 2023 4:26 PM
Dec 2019
My expectations have been low ever since this was announced, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the first episode. The first episode feels like it has soul, something FLCL Progressive and especially FLCL Alternative were missing. The dub cast killed the voicing too; I'm extremely glad to hear Kari Wahlgren as Haruko again and I'm amped to hear Casey Mongillo as Shin.

This may be going somewhere good.
Sep 10, 2023 4:33 PM

Feb 2022
The CGI in this anime is garbage..
Sep 10, 2023 6:32 PM

Aug 2013
So how many times are they going to copy and paste Haruka trying to capture Atomsk by targeting a kid going through the cluster fuck that is puberty?

Another FLCL season is basically a new Pillows CD with a shitty anime that has a subpar presentation attached to it.
DedPandaSep 10, 2023 6:50 PM
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 10, 2023 8:49 PM

Apr 2015
A complete mess to the bad, the writers are only grabbing things from the first season, made by Gaimax because it is the best of all, chewing them up with their garbage ideas. They have no fresh ideas. They are just releasing seasons like crazy so as not to lose the rights due to lack of use and the Japanese studios do not recover it

I'm not going to be fooled by those at Adult Swim with that garbage CGI animation saying that it is experimental art with the quick changes to 2D they only want to copy the animation of the anime getting garbage results, the American studios to have good animation from the 70's, 80's again 90's and mid 2000's they should go to school again change everything they learned and waste a lot of people

2023 and this is the best they can do
Sep 10, 2023 11:34 PM
Sep 2021
I actually dug it way more than I expected to. The art style is iffy and they rip off shots of the original series basically frame for frame, but I found myself way more engaged than when I watched Progressive.
Sep 11, 2023 2:58 AM
Feb 2020
The CGI looked smoother than I thought it would.
Sep 11, 2023 5:34 AM
Dec 2016
Reply to Fishb0i
FLCL is back.

Only this series could use terrible CGI as an aesthetic and actually pull it off.

Already infinitely better than the 2018 seasons.
@Seprolus Yeah! Fooly Cooly is back. Shounen genre.
Sep 11, 2023 6:38 AM
Oct 2020
Whenever a new flcl comes out there’s a lot of worry and debate over whether or not it should exist or not. This is the third sequel/prequel/alternative-setting-thing of flcl.

It was pretty neat. I like the bizarre character designs. Rock people and talking robots plus cgi, it’s really not afraid to do something unique. FLCL alternative was great, progressive was fine, this may be good too. I love Haruko’s clothes
Sep 11, 2023 7:04 AM
Sep 2022
I didn't hate it but I suffered through that episode. Animation looked like garbage in some sections, okay in others.

I liked the OG FLCL but I won't be continuing this, no hate to anyone who will be continuing
Sep 11, 2023 7:26 PM

Sep 2012
yikes what was that
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Sep 11, 2023 7:56 PM

Jan 2021
... I stared into the abyss for 20 minutes and felt as if my soul was pulled into oblivion.
Sep 11, 2023 10:30 PM
Oct 2019
it was ok. it "felt" a lot like the original. as in, it very much felt like it was trying to recreate the original with a slightly different story and somewhat modernized animation style

that said, it wasn't the original. the original was better. it's hard to beat the original when the first one was so great. you can only have that "first time" experience the first time. it can never be replicated

but i'm willing to see how this goes. i'm ok with it being odd and things not entirely making sense. i just hope it isn't DUMB. this seems like it'll either be pretty good or pretty dumb, nothing in between

the 5.28 rating on this is bullshit. it's not that bad
Sep 11, 2023 11:13 PM
Feb 2018
Art style would be fine if it moved, but this animated almost exactly like those 60s Marvel cartoons.Laziest 3D animation I have ever seen.
Sep 12, 2023 1:00 AM

Jan 2011
I don't get the hate here. It's fine. It's the weakest FLCL show by a mile but it's not that bad guys. I am starting to think OG fans are becoming toxic boomers. I wil lsay though this dub cast gotta step it up as Kari and Casey are carrying the dub hardcore.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Sep 12, 2023 3:15 AM
Dec 2018
Wtf happenend to FLCL. This is pure garbage. Instant drop. 1/10
My Candies:

Sep 12, 2023 6:18 AM
Nov 2011
Woof, I want my 20 minutes back!
Sep 12, 2023 7:25 AM
Apr 2021
So apart from the CG which isn't that ugly, but what's bad is that they want to take intellectual properties just to see if it works, but in the case of the new Furi Kuri it doesn't work because he doesn't have the soul and comic dedication that the old one had
Sep 12, 2023 8:17 AM

Jan 2013
bad cgi is shit. twist it as much as you like.
Sep 12, 2023 1:17 PM

Jul 2022
I only recently watched FLCL and skipped both Progressive and Alternative, but I felt like Grunge hit a lot of the same notes as the original.

Meta jokes, good music, and a variety of artstyles were all present, so time will tell if those similarities are skin-deep or meaningful. I also appreciate that the puberty allegory was made painfully obvious for people that were too dense to figure it out the first time around (read: me).

Hopefully we get a plot this season even if the lack of one would be more true to the FLCL style.
Sep 12, 2023 2:40 PM
Aug 2021
Well, that was disappointing, already dropped.
Sep 12, 2023 2:49 PM

May 2014
Skipped through this. Nope, not going to do it again. The previous sequels were 1/10 garbage and a complete misunderstanding of the original show. FLCL isn't just goofy. Everything had a purpose and made sense, but these new shows just cling to the goofy part with no substance.

I don't mind CG, but it's funny how nothing has come close to the directing quality of the original series. I wouldn't even consider myself a huge FLCL fan, but these sequels being so terrible made me appreciate it a lot more.

@alexw1020
The last sequel was also the same plot as the original. They're doing it a 3rd time here.
Sep 12, 2023 4:31 PM
Oct 2020
HibiChika said:
bad cgi is shit. twist it as much as you like.

Explain why it’s bad
Sep 12, 2023 6:36 PM
Oct 2020
Saw the CGI, ran away. But seriously, the CGI was bad and made it tough to get through. I only have enjoyed the original FLCL so far out of the entire franchise and its animated works. It just had a certain magic to it in the early 2000s, maybe partly with how it was drawn/animated and the little-to-no-use of CGI, and instead doing hand-drawing the traditional way.

When things get too 3D, it just doesn't look that good to me. That's the issue with CGI in anime, at least for me. Sure, a few shows pull it off in some scenes, but it's all-around a bad practice and it's unfortunate to see it being more and more used in newer works. There are some that pull off mixing CGI with hand-drawn well, but even then it could be so much better with no CGI involvement. Just my thoughts.

I think after watching this though, I need to cleanse myself with some good old Welcome to the NHK.

xBuster6Sep 12, 2023 6:46 PM
Sep 12, 2023 10:11 PM

Mar 2019
This was sort of okay.

Visually it's hideous, but it felt like the first FLCL series in other aspects. I'm only in it for the some nice animation and the music when it comes to FLCL anyway. The stories have always been pretty bad. The problem I have with what I watched is that the animation is very ugly, so the music is the only hook for me... And, was there any new music in this episode anyway? Maybe the end credits? I think I'll just continue watching for the sake of seeing it all because I've already seen the first three and Shoegaze is looking way better than this one, and I know I'm going to watch that one too.
Sep 12, 2023 11:35 PM

Dec 2022
It seems better than progressive and alternative but it needs to stick 2d animation, This animation ain't it for this series
Sep 13, 2023 5:11 AM
Jan 2020
Of course, of fucking course, the one that actually captures the soul of FLCL looks like this
Sep 13, 2023 2:55 PM
Feb 2020
i watched this as it aired on toonami
it was not good
the animation looks like they put no effort into it
this is a very disappointing versiion of fooly cooly
i hope the next one does better because this is unacceptable
Sep 13, 2023 3:17 PM

Apr 2008
I don't hate it, but it feels like the worst one yet. Like others have said, it's not being subtle about drawing from the original, going as far as matching a bunch of scenes beat for beat. But the original already did it, and the CG isn't doing the recreation any favors. So you just get worse versions of things from the first season, which in my opinion has a lot less value than what Alternative and Progressive did even if they weren't amazing. I will watch just about anything set to The Pillows, though.
Sep 14, 2023 9:08 PM
Dec 2019
My expectations were already low just by judging from the poor marketing and even worse animation.

But it still managed to be more horrible than anything that I could have ever imagined would come from this thing. I don't remember seeing at any time in my life a more soulless, cheap and bizarre quick cash grabbing trash product than this. One episode is more than enough to know exactly what the people behind this atrocity want: money.

That was one of the most painful 24 minutes of my life. Progressive and Alternative were, at worse, mediocre, but this 1st episode as a whole was just unbearable garbage. It's a literal 24 minute low budget parody of all original FLCL episodes in one and that is honestly just sad and pathetic.

If you somehow managed to truly enjoy this first episode to some degree... well, great. I won't judge your taste, but, in my case, I was totally dead inside during the entire episode. Still, the effect on me was not as deadly as this direct injury to FLCL as a whole.

It's enough for me to call it quits and now just wait and hope that Shoegaze is at least animated in 2D. This anime is the first one that I'll proudly leave as Dropped on MAL.

P.S.: After reading some comments saying that this anime feels like FLCL, I'm now convinced that: 1. there's a mandela effect kinda shit going on and some of you just thought you had watched FLCL and you've actually watched some other shit or 2. you actually don't have the cognitive ability to spot when a show is literally mocking another one and somehow you think that's "having the same feel". Holy shit, bruh
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» This IS Fooly Cooly

benniboii - Sep 11, 2023

22 by benniboii »»
May 9, 9:14 PM

Poll: » FLCL: Grunge Episode 3 Discussion

FireRifle64 - Sep 23, 2023

30 by Titadou »»
Mar 9, 10:04 AM

Poll: » FLCL: Grunge Episode 2 Discussion

FireRifle64 - Sep 16, 2023

21 by MizuhoKamui »»
Nov 3, 2023 11:27 PM

» Why won't they let it die?!

AnimeMastery - Sep 15, 2023

3 by AnimeMastery »»
Oct 13, 2023 5:18 PM

» stop milking this series :(

EmilCioran - Mar 18, 2022

36 by xBuster6 »»
Sep 12, 2023 6:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.