Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 3, 2023 7:03 PM
May 2022
No spoilers!
Hey all! For the last couple of years I’ve heard that Mari was an insert for the author’s wife, by friends and people online and had never questioned it. However I recently told someone this and wanted to fact check myself. Turned out that is was denied by the author, but I can’t find the original source, I found a lot of secondary media articles for it, so it has left me confused on wether the news is true or false. Let me know what you think.

https://www.cbr.com/mari-makinami-hideaki-anno-evangelion-creator-theory/
Sep 3, 2023 8:00 PM

Jul 2021
Yeah you right, i don't know if you watched all the Rebuild movies, so i won't tell somethings that happens that are spoilers

But yeah, she is related to his wife and has a great impact on the anime, especially on the final, and considering that the Rebuild is a "Hope" Path and the 90's anime are a "Lost" Path, it means that Hideki itself has changed over the past years and his wife was part of it for helping him
Sep 3, 2023 8:07 PM
May 2022
Onedux said:
Yeah you right, i don't know if you watched all the Rebuild movies, so i won't tell somethings that happens that are spoilers

But yeah, she is related to his wife and has a great impact on the anime, especially on the final, and considering that the Rebuild is a "Hope" Path and the 90's anime are a "Lost" Path, it means that Hideki itself has changed over the past years and his wife was part of it for helping him

I have finished, I didn’t know how to articulate that my post didn’t have any spoilers.
It definitely makes sense that maybe even if it wasn’t intentional, still some level of truth was there. Especially since we know he dealt with depression, and his wife helped to some extent.
Sep 4, 2023 12:03 AM
Nov 2020
if you check the crunchyrol link in the post you linked it gives the source to evangelions official twitter account as the source so yes mari isnt based on annos wife its just fan a speculation. There is also japanese sources where his wife herself denies it.
Sep 4, 2023 12:08 AM

Jun 2015
She might not be based on his wife intentionally, but she supports Shinji the same way his wife did when he had depression. So, like you said, even if it's unintentional, there's still some truth to it.
Sep 4, 2023 9:29 AM
Oct 2020
certainmiracle said:
She might not be based on his wife intentionally, but she supports Shinji the same way his wife did when he had depression. So, like you said, even if it's unintentional, there's still some truth to it.

evangelion fans still insisting on something the author has outright denied as still true
Sep 4, 2023 12:00 PM

Jun 2015
Reply to yoshZZ
certainmiracle said:

evangelion fans still insisting on something the author has outright denied as still true
@yoshZZ youre coping about anno's coping

More topics from this board

Poll: » Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Jun 27, 2009

564 by ToTheGyz »»
May 15, 5:15 AM

» Stop after this movie if you dont want to be disappointed

CickNipolla - Oct 12, 2022

40 by Zero00phantom »»
Apr 2, 4:44 PM

» Why They've shown Rei Nippels but didn't show Asuka Nippels?

LoliSenpai0x - Aug 6, 2020

9 by Jun_Rei »»
Feb 28, 2023 1:38 PM

» Shinji is gigachad

samthestan - Nov 26, 2021

6 by JohnLivelyMan »»
Apr 12, 2022 10:56 PM

» End of Evangelion or rebuild movie?

Requiemofthewind - Nov 7, 2021

8 by animeforlife808 »»
Nov 9, 2021 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.