Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 28, 2023 4:47 AM

Mar 2022
I don't see how there's a pun in the English language. When Aqua, Ruby & Kana were kids, Ruby didn't even say baking soda the 1st time.

Or, what, maybe in the dub it's supposed to some mandela effect 'oh I was a kid then, so I don't even remember what I was thinking' ?

1. Eva to Battler Ushiromiya: "human who are crying every single" ( Battler = "w"esley "s"o & Beatrice = Alireza Firouzja ? - Ha6uVGB-Mtw or p1w4Rr-fC )
  2. "b"attler "u"shiromiya: "You got yourself a deal man. Anytime, anywhere as long as there is proctoring." - p1w4Rr-dU
  3. Update after Hans Niemann 2022: "You got yourself a deal man. Anytime, anywhere as long as there is a proctologist." - p1w4Rr-dW
  4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  5. Magnus Carlsen is more of a sore loser than Light Yagami & Bandit Keith. See p1w4Rr-jr
  6. Hikaru Nakamura is almost as evil as the Hikaru in Oshi no Ko. See p1w4Rr-jr
  7. xcdhgq
Aug 28, 2023 4:53 AM
Jul 2020
Dunno, bruh.

Watch it.

The dub for this show is actually so terrible it’s funny, so it will probably be a literal translation with no further meaning.
Aug 28, 2023 5:10 AM

Mar 2022
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
Dunno, bruh.

Watch it.

1 - What do you mean 'watch it' ? I did. That's why I'm here asking. I mean I didn't watch the whole dub. I usually watch the dub to find out how they're going to handle the Japanese-specific jokes. Like

1. TQQ - I knew they couldn't replicate the 'Itsuki-chan' thing in s2 because they never had honorifics to begin w/!! But ok I see no need to keep the honorifics assuming you know Gasai how the story ends. But otherwise I think it's risky because there could've been a need for honorifics in s1.

2. Kaguya-sama - The 'Ms Shirogane' thing in s2 was weird too. They should've kept the honorifics.

3. Haruhi Suzumiya - The 'Ms Asahina' & 'Ms Suzumiya' things are weird. They should've kept the honorifics.

4. Takagi-san - Whoever did the dub GOOD JOB including the honorifics. There are some Japanese things you HAVE to keep.

5. Lucky Star - Whoever did the dub, I guess good job including the honorifics. But I have no idea if it's actually really relevant because I watched Lucky Star before I learned Japanese in school.

Yeah I know all the examples I gave are about honorifics but still.

Anyway for Oshi no Ko, I was just curious how they were going to do the baking soda joke. I saw they CORRECTLY skipped it when they were kids, but then they 'brought it up' when they were teenagers - So not only did they INCORRECTLY skip but also did they incorrectly 'bring it up' when there was nothing really to bring up. At least they could've been consistent in doing the baking soda joke for BOTH times. Like both or neither (and for neither, I guess they can make up a new joke. That's what I thought they'd do. That's what I'd do - or I'll keep the Japanese or I'll add some kind of translation note but yeah it's highly uncommon for dubs to have translation notes). That's my opinion.

2 - But so what you agree it's nonsensical in the dub right?

Isekai-Enjoyer said:
The dub for this show is actually so terrible it’s funny, so it will probably be a literal translation with no further meaning.

3 - What do you mean? It wasn't actually. See again when they were kids. There's no mention of baking soda (even if Ruby was thinking that Kana was eating baking soda).

1. Eva to Battler Ushiromiya: "human who are crying every single" ( Battler = "w"esley "s"o & Beatrice = Alireza Firouzja ? - Ha6uVGB-Mtw or p1w4Rr-fC )
  2. "b"attler "u"shiromiya: "You got yourself a deal man. Anytime, anywhere as long as there is proctoring." - p1w4Rr-dU
  3. Update after Hans Niemann 2022: "You got yourself a deal man. Anytime, anywhere as long as there is a proctologist." - p1w4Rr-dW
  4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  5. Magnus Carlsen is more of a sore loser than Light Yagami & Bandit Keith. See p1w4Rr-jr
  7. xcdhgq
Aug 28, 2023 7:15 AM

Mar 2022
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
Dunno, bruh.

Watch it.

All dub haters like you are so whiny and cringey like it's fine you like the sub but why you gotta go out of your way to hate the dub smh

Aug 28, 2023 7:30 AM
Nov 2018
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
Dunno, bruh.

Watch it.

Thanks for letting me know. I was planning to watch the dubbed version. If it's that bad I might just skip it.
Aug 28, 2023 8:00 AM
Apr 2022
nicbentulan said:
I don't see how there's a pun in the English language. When Aqua, Ruby & Kana were kids, Ruby didn't even say baking soda the 1st time.

Or, what, maybe in the dub it's supposed to some mandela effect 'oh I was a kid then, so I don't even remember what I was thinking' ?

Yes the joke is a little confusing, I only understood it after reading the Manga.
But the Dub itself is pritty good. (in my opinion)
Aug 28, 2023 8:02 AM
Apr 2022
Moppit said:
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
Dunno, bruh.

Watch it.

Thanks for letting me know. I was planning to watch the dubbed version. If it's that bad I might just skip it.

Oh we lost another one.
Aug 28, 2023 8:10 AM
Nov 2018
Pendragon572 said:
Moppit said:

Oh we lost another one.

I have nothing against dubbed anime unless they completely butcher the translation making it into another anime. I'll probably go to YouTube and watch a sample of it later in dubbed.
Aug 28, 2023 8:12 AM
Apr 2022
Moppit said:
Pendragon572 said:

Oh we lost another one.

I have nothing against dubbed anime unless they completely butcher the translation making it into another anime. I'll probably go to YouTube and watch a sample of it later in dubbed.

Don't worry bud you're allowed to watch whatever you wish, I just said that coz I wanted to.
Aug 28, 2023 8:35 AM

Nov 2022
The baking soda joke is nonsensical in both the sub and dub. It only makes sense in the English translation of the manga.

Anime: "genius child actor who can (cry in 10 seconds flat/lick baking soda)"
Manga: "genius child actor who can (flick a crying switch/lick a lying snitch)"

The studio decided to animate Kana actually licking baking soda, so the people who were subbing/dubbing were forced to stick to "baking soda" as opposed to coming up with a joke that works for English and still makes sense.
"Shinji, crank that Soulja Boy."

Aug 28, 2023 9:03 AM

Mar 2022
LegacyLunatic said:
The baking soda joke is nonsensical in both the sub and dub. It only makes sense in the English translation of the manga.

The studio decided to animate Kana actually licking baking soda, so the people who were subbing/dubbing were forced to stick to "baking soda" as opposed to coming up with a joke that works for English and still makes sense.

How is it nonsensical in the sub? The audio is in Japanese. If anything it makes more sense in the sub than in the English translation of the manga if it doesn't have translator notes. Lol.

- Actually I can say the same for like TQQ & Kaguya-sama even. People say like 'Ms Shirogane' in the Kaguya-sama manga.

- Also TQQ. Hmmm...oh yeah S01E08 & S02E11 when they replaced the 'itsuki-san tachi' or 'itsuki-chan tachi' with anything that refers to the quints w/o Itsuki as their representative in the eyes of the rest of Uesugi family (not fuutarou i.e. Raiha & Isanari). Huge translation loss.

At least in Oshi no Ko it's just a joke that's missed out. Nothing to do with honorifics for huge hints for my Itsuki theory.
nicbentulanAug 28, 2023 9:09 AM

4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  7. xcdhgq
Aug 28, 2023 9:04 AM

Mar 2022
Moppit said:
Pendragon572 said:

Oh we lost another one.

How did Oshi no Ko butcher the translation?

4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  7. xcdhgq
Aug 28, 2023 9:09 AM
Nov 2018
nicbentulan said:
Moppit said:

I'm just saying in the past translations didn't match up with the anime making it way different from subbed. I figured I watch some on YouTube before giving dubbed a try here. I been meaning to watch Oshi dubbed but waiting for all 11 episodes.
Aug 28, 2023 9:10 AM

Mar 2022
Moppit said:
nicbentulan said:

I'm just saying in the past translations didn't match up with the anime making it way different from subbed. I figured I watch some on YouTube before giving dubbed a try here. I been meaning to watch Oshi dubbed but waiting for all 11 episodes.

It's been 2 months since the sub ended. What episode is the dub now?

4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  7. xcdhgq
Aug 28, 2023 9:53 AM
Jan 2022
nicbentulan said:
Moppit said:

It's been 2 months since the sub ended. What episode is the dub now?

The eng dubs finished
Aug 28, 2023 11:50 AM
Feb 2022
i didnt even notice it
Aug 28, 2023 4:10 PM
Jul 2020
SabreDrago said:
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
Dunno, bruh.

Watch it.

All dub haters like you are so whiny and cringey like it's fine you like the sub but why you gotta go out of your way to hate the dub smh

Because I have an opinion and I’m sharing it?

Like, Isekai wa Smartphone is terrible and no one is crapping at me for crapping at it.

It’s the same here. I think it’s terrible so I will say it.

Nothing more to it.
Aug 28, 2023 10:09 PM
Sep 2021
LegacyLunatic said:

maybe because sticking to what actually been said is better you clown
Aug 28, 2023 11:52 PM
Nov 2022
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
Dunno, bruh.

Watch it.

I watched it entirely in dub.
Aug 29, 2023 4:48 PM

Mar 2023
SabreDrago said:
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
Dunno, bruh.

Watch it.

cause (most) dubs aint good lmao
Aug 29, 2023 6:01 PM
May 2023
nicbentulan said:

bro are you that weird ass guy from YouTube that keep forcing your goofy ass opinion to EVERY SINGLE oshi no ko video on the website?
Aug 29, 2023 7:37 PM
Jul 2022
nicbentulan said:
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
Dunno, bruh.

Watch it.

1 - What do you mean 'watch it' ? I did. That's why I'm here asking. I mean I didn't watch the whole dub. I usually watch the dub to find out how they're going to handle the Japanese-specific jokes. Like

1. TQQ - I knew they couldn't replicate the 'Itsuki-chan' thing in s2 because they never had honorifics to begin w/!! But ok I see no need to keep the honorifics assuming you know Gasai how the story ends. But otherwise I think it's risky because there could've been a need for honorifics in s1.

2. Kaguya-sama - The 'Ms Shirogane' thing in s2 was weird too. They should've kept the honorifics.

3. Haruhi Suzumiya - The 'Ms Asahina' & 'Ms Suzumiya' things are weird. They should've kept the honorifics.

4. Takagi-san - Whoever did the dub GOOD JOB including the honorifics. There are some Japanese things you HAVE to keep.

5. Lucky Star - Whoever did the dub, I guess good job including the honorifics. But I have no idea if it's actually really relevant because I watched Lucky Star before I learned Japanese in school.

Anyway for Oshi no Ko, I was just curious how they were going to do the baking soda joke. I saw they CORRECTLY skipped it when they were kids, but then they 'brought it up' when they were teenagers - So not only did they INCORRECTLY skip but also did they incorrectly 'bring it up' when there was nothing really to bring up. At least they could've been consistent in doing the baking soda joke for BOTH times. Like both or neither (and for neither, I guess they can make up a new joke. That's what I thought they'd do. That's what I'd do - or I'll keep the Japanese or I'll add some kind of translation note but yeah it's highly uncommon for dubs to have translation notes). That's my opinion.

Isekai-Enjoyer said:

3 - What do you mean? It wasn't actually. See again when they were kids. There's no mention of baking soda (even if Ruby was thinking that Kana was eating baking soda).

My guy wrote an essay when he could've been sunbathing under an apple tree and gazing up at the clouds.
Aug 30, 2023 2:15 PM
Nov 2022
FATCAT912 said:
nicbentulan said:

My guy wrote an essay when he could've been sunbathing under an apple tree and gazing up at the clouds.

yeah lol, bro got pissy at for me for something i never said

he needs to touch grass fr
Aug 31, 2023 3:32 PM

Mar 2022
TenceI said:
nicbentulan said:

bro are you that weird ass guy from YouTube that keep forcing your goofy ass opinion to EVERY SINGLE oshi no ko video on the website?

My youtube videos are mostly about 9LX, so what do you mean?

4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  7. xcdhgq
Aug 31, 2023 3:33 PM

Mar 2022
FATCAT912 said:
nicbentulan said:

Who are you? Was I talking to you? Why are you commenting this?

4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  7. xcdhgq
Aug 31, 2023 4:05 PM

Mar 2022
StarRush said:
i never even talked about the baking soda joke

It's good you're mature enough to admit your post is irrelevant.

4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  7. xcdhgq
Aug 31, 2023 4:07 PM
Nov 2022
nicbentulan said:
StarRush said:
i never even talked about the baking soda joke

It's good you're mature enough to admit your post is irrelevant.

bro just let it go lol, you're so pissy you ACTUALLY decide to respond to a comment made 2 DAYS AGO, its obvious you need to find a better hobby in life
Aug 31, 2023 4:58 PM
Jul 2022
nicbentulan said:
FATCAT912 said:

I am the speaker of the truth. I must speak the truth. That is my truth
Sep 1, 2023 1:40 PM
Nov 2022
FATCAT912 said:
nicbentulan said:

I am the speaker of the truth. I must speak the truth. That is my truth

thank you mike ehrm

More topics from this board

» Any reason why Idol became overwhelmingly popular?

Mattenan - Yesterday

47 by Kaze1214 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usopp8000 - Mar 27, 2023

2681 by WSP__2 »»
May 24, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Would you like to marry Ai given the opportunity? (first ep spoilers)

Shizuna - May 6

40 by A_Yaze »»
May 11, 8:38 AM

» Overhyped

Mooogle - May 9

41 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 11:44 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Jun 28, 2023

680 by Darkiiii »»
May 6, 10:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.