Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 18, 2023 11:57 PM
Jan 2021
Gun gale was by far the worst season of sao, why are they making an alternative story to that, i want to see sword art online (you know, with swords not guns)

I don't know anything about the manga (if sao even has one) but why is there no more new content added to the series, and why are they wasting money on these pseudo series that just drag down sao as a whole
Aug 19, 2023 12:03 AM
Jul 2021
Personally, I really hate SAO, but found GGO like bullshit fun compared to the first season, and this alternative to just expand on that game so the audience can enjoy both worlds if they want. I also personally enjoy the GGO spin off more than any of SAO, not only because I just liked the characters more and story but because the world is cooler within the GGO game imo and I like guns more than swords lmao. It’s really a matter of preference just like anything else but they are expanding on the spin off for people who like all of SAO and anything that stems from it, or for people like me who for some reason like the bullshit fun more than the seasons that try to be something and fail. (Not saying you can’t like it btw I’m just expressing that I don’t like it)
Aug 19, 2023 12:39 AM
May 2023
Let them cook🗣️🗣️
Aug 19, 2023 12:41 AM
Nov 2019
GGO isn't SAO silly, it doesn't have characters with negative IQ that adapt any personality they want on the spot, it doesn't have frequent h-scenes that do nothing but distract audience from its garbage narrative, it doesn't have the worst protagonist of all time even by isekai standards, it's not written by reki kawahara aka the dude that wrote SAO (that's an insult btw), it doesn't have the meaningless 'you die in game you die in real life by microwaves or whatever'.
but i tell you what it is, it's a straight up upgrade from SAO, it's written by keiichi sigsawa aka the dude that wrote kino's journey (that means he's both an og and a good writer), the characters while make consistent decisions when thy need to and also make irrational decisions when pushed too far (i believe thats what people call good character writing), theres an actual story being told instead of teenage jesus go brrrrrr, the protag isn't some know it all do it all rizz god because of 'self insert', shes believable (even though i dont relate to her as all, thats double good!), the game itself (GGO) make a hell of a lot more sense than SAO.
want me to count more reasons why ggo is objectively superior to sao?

look, im not a fan of ggo either, but sao is easily one of the most overrated anime of all time (even now that most people know how garbage it is) i can remember multiple instances that would instantly wipe any other series off the planet and yet sao got away with cuz it came out in 2012, when calling out its bad writing didn't do much, anime wasn't mainstream back then, people didn't care too much. but now that everyone knows of its shortcomings, i expect people not to have asinine takes like this.
kushakashiAug 19, 2023 12:46 AM
Aug 19, 2023 1:29 AM
Nov 2022
Mike1nator said:
Gun gale was by far the worst season of sao, why are they making an alternative story to that, i want to see sword art online (you know, with swords not guns)

I don't know anything about the manga (if sao even has one) but why is there no more new content added to the series, and why are they wasting money on these pseudo series that just drag down sao as a whole

Nah bro. GGO was the good part of sao season 2

The fairy bullshit was the bad part obviously.
Aug 19, 2023 1:43 AM

Jul 2021
I enjoyed GGO more than SAO and I'm looking forward to it getting a second season.

Mike1nator said:
I don't know anything about the manga (if sao even has one)

SAO and GGO are both based on Light Novels
Aug 19, 2023 3:41 AM

May 2017
You answered your own question. It's shit and needs an alternative. Also Alternative GGO is not from the same author and it really shows.
Aug 19, 2023 5:21 AM
Jul 2018
because it’s the best. Duh 🙄
Aug 19, 2023 5:23 AM
Aug 2021
The absolute worst part, was the Fairy Arc (2nd part of season 1) ,

tbh I personally enjoyed GGO Arc.
And imo the SAO alternative Season was enjoyable too
I'm not hyped for the new season but I will definitely watch it
Aug 19, 2023 5:24 AM
Apr 2022
Mike1nator said:

nah the worst season was alo they did asuna so dirty 🚶‍♀️ also this is a different author who actually thinks about character development unlike sao's (full offense)
Aug 19, 2023 7:28 AM

Dec 2021
Attack on Trash still deserves more hate than SAO, Fairy Tail and MHA combined
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Aug 19, 2023 1:45 PM

Jul 2017
this was the best sao season wdym

reki kawahara is a bad writer ☠️☠️
Aug 19, 2023 2:22 PM
Jan 2021
ok I started a war against me here. So as I said about the manga, I don't know who wrote Sao or ggo either. I thought it was the same person.

And I don't think Sao is some god level anime but I like it for the SWORDS not guns, so I am biased here but it is my preference.

I watched it long time ago so if you check my list it might have a high score idk what I gave it. It is mid. (and I won't watch it again)

So know that I know it is not related to Sao I still won't watch it lol cuz I don't like the guns. Not saying it's trahs even though that's what I said earlier
Aug 20, 2023 12:00 AM
Apr 2021
Mike1nator said:
ok I started a war against me here. So as I said about the manga, I don't know who wrote Sao or ggo either. I thought it was the same person.

And I don't think Sao is some god level anime but I like it for the SWORDS not guns, so I am biased here but it is my preference.

I watched it long time ago so if you check my list it might have a high score idk what I gave it. It is mid. (and I won't watch it again)

So know that I know it is not related to Sao I still won't watch it lol cuz I don't like the guns. Not saying it's trahs even though that's what I said earlier

You're on a website that lists all the information that you don't know. Maybe actually do the smallest bit of reading before making posts like this?
Aug 20, 2023 8:44 AM
Jan 2017
SAO:A is the best thing to come out of SAO.
Aug 20, 2023 9:49 AM
Mar 2021
Mike1nator said:

saoaggo is completely refreshing and better than the other SAO series
Aug 27, 2023 2:11 PM
Jun 2017
Alternative is a modern take on SAO's themes, similar to progressive and unital ring. We're not getting a TV-series adapting the next novels until the arc is completed. We have one original movie and this, it's all exciting. 
Sep 4, 2023 2:48 PM
Jun 2023
I’m very late but just found out about a potential season 2. Pretty new anime fan based of my list and I have some controversial opinions. I think that the GGO arc was kind of pointless, but that didn’t really matter. It had some good moments and interested me more than swords. The alternative was also pretty good. I don’t think it was better than the original GGO and have no idea why it’s getting a season two, but they had some pretty good character motives, and some insanely well made action scenes. Does it need a season 2? No. But will it still be good? Almost certainly.
Oct 7, 2023 10:12 AM

Sep 2014
I honestly dont get it either. Instead of making a cool mini story about some side characters in the original SAO we got.. this.. and now even a S2? Anime is weird
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 9, 2023 3:38 PM
Apr 2015
Reply to sakasakiyaoi
Mike1nator said:

nah the worst season was alo they did asuna so dirty 🚶‍♀️ also this is a different author who actually thinks about character development unlike sao's (full offense)
@sakasakiyaoi Because it's basically the first arc repeated and mixed with a very poorly plagiarized Berserk.
Oct 26, 2023 12:34 PM
Jun 2017
Because the Light novels for this are good?
Fire Emblem anime when
Dec 5, 2023 2:02 AM
Jan 2020
nahhh, i'm not falling, bait
Dec 22, 2023 5:17 AM

Jul 2012
R u really serious saying that GGO part was the worst?
I think GGO arc on S2 was the best part for the whole S thou 😑

Jan 2, 5:14 AM
Jun 2022
Bro is mad they made a second season for the best part of SAO… Ain’t no way he’s complaining that it’s not the typical shitty half-isekai love story that SAO usually is
Feb 13, 5:43 PM

May 2018
This topic is interesting, it has a variety of funny nonsense hate.
That said, GGO is a great arc. It develops its characters well and has good fights.
MaouHeroFeb 13, 5:46 PM
Mar 24, 2:26 AM
Feb 2017
Honestly, GGO is better than the SAO main story. I love the battle royale story more than the cliché harem story. In fact, GGO is the only thing that I recommend to my friends because of how good it is.

More topics from this board

» The key visual hints the possibility of 24 episodes

whoisrem - Mar 24

3 by Naveen6662246 »»
Apr 25, 3:47 AM

» Characters PV and Fall 2024

Dbagas8 - Mar 23

0 by Dbagas8 »»
Mar 23, 7:27 PM

» Best sao story line, glad they expand on it!

Yuki0Kanna - Jan 25

5 by ejleon »»
Mar 16, 4:58 PM

» New visual and coming this year

Dbagas8 - Feb 23

8 by Tonalpaca »»
Feb 26, 2:47 AM

» Unexpected + hype ( 1 2 )

Xavion - Jul 15, 2023

63 by SnapJack »»
Feb 23, 1:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.