Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 11, 2023 11:18 PM
The Extra

Feb 2021
I just don't know how to word it, none of these characters feel like they were written to be likeable. Every time there is even the slightest inconvience with the main character, his so called "friends" just lash out on him like he's some kind of super villian. Not only that, the main love intrest is just so insufferable that I genuinely don't see how anyone can like her at all, she's a spoiled rich girl and when anything bad happens she just cries and tries to force pity from other people and for whatever reason, despite many of the main cast recognizing this flaw, when
everyone just lashes out on him and doesn't try to hear his side. And don't even get me started on Banri himself, he has absolutley zero backbone and just gets walked all over for the entire show. These characters don't feel even remotely real, and yes, I understand that they're not meant to be but they just feel like what an alien race would view humans as, overly emotional and irrational...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 11, 2023 11:47 PM
Jan 2022
Yeah…. This anime is messed up
Aug 12, 2023 12:01 AM
Nov 2018
That is a major occurrence in a lot of animes. No one listens to problem of the one that's having troubles. They turn and act blindly not fully understanding what's going on. Then again if they knew what was going on and act accordingly there wouldn't be a anime.
Aug 12, 2023 12:14 AM
Nov 2020
To answer your statement: Not necessarily. The show is filled with characters with flawed personalities that clash between each other. It's only natural to dislike a majority of them if you feel they're contradicting them too much, but the characters aren't written to be hateable, just trying to emmulate immature college students. It's all based on your interpretation if you think they're likeable or not. Regardless, that's just how drama is written for the most part in these types of anime.

The rest of this will just be me ranting about golden time because there has been rarely any moment I can talk about this messy but still kinda good anime.

Ironically, the main appeal of this show to many is the realistic experiences in romances and college. I mostly disagree with that, though somewhat occassionally I see what they mean by at the middle part of the show. (ignoring the whole ghost thing of course). Many times characters are insensitive, selfish, ignorant to others feelings. The point where you said about Banri's friends reprimanding him whenever he does a little thing, I think that's overexaggerating since as far as I remember it was only that on specific character and it only happened around latter half of the series even with a somewhat understandable reason because she knows how sensitive Koko is but he still hangs out with a person who obviously has some sort of feelings to him. Also, the part where she breaks up with him, everyone pushes him that there is something wrong with HER and that he should try approaching her again. They acknowledge that fact and they tell Banri that he should be the one to talk to her because well, they were a couple. Personally though, I agree that this show is far from being the most realistic romance out there like wtf this story has a plot about ghosts and a girl that is just smitten this much about a person this early in the anime. The worst character here personally is Banri and I dunno why I hate him so much. Because he is an idiot, says cringy af lines, fails at being funny when he tries, bullshitted his way in some moments for plot convenience, or maybe because he obviously has lingering feelings for the senpai but he never deals with it (yes I know its from his past self but still). And well, the ending sucks.
Aug 12, 2023 12:31 AM

Jul 2023
I think Hayashida and Oka are the best characters. The orders are messed up. The MC should've ended up with one of those two.
Aug 12, 2023 12:34 AM
Oct 2019
Yeah I really don’t like that anime I couldn’t like anything about it
Aug 12, 2023 12:35 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
ishinashi302 said:
trash anime trash author.

I agree with the anime part but not so much the author, I thought toradora was pretty good at least.
Aug 12, 2023 12:37 AM
Jul 2023
they started out okay and I was hoping for the best but they got worse and worse as the series went on. don't know why people think it's one of the best romance animes. I think it's relatively poor on all fronts. toradora is much better in every category imo
Aug 12, 2023 12:40 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
xXGoreGrinderXx said:
they started out okay and I was hoping for the best but they got worse and worse as the series went on. don't know why people think it's one of the best romance animes. I think it's relatively poor on all fronts. toradora is much better in every category imo

I agree, the first few episodes I thoroughly enjoyed but everything after the two got together just wasn't it for me, maybe I'm just heartless but I never once cared for koko at all, i actually dislike her quite a lot, she does countless terrible things and never once pays for it, all she did was whine and play the victim the whole time, it got old very quickly and she was just unnecessarily rude, especially to oka.
Aug 12, 2023 1:05 AM
Mar 2021
Rsdakilla said:
ishinashi302 said:

I agree with the anime part but not so much the author, I thought toradora was pretty good at least.

wtf are u high? 😂 golden time is way better than toradora I hated most of the characters in that anime especially taiga she was a bitch till the end the only decent character was ryuuji maybe.
Aug 12, 2023 1:06 AM
Jul 2023
right?! Kouko was a terrible character and an even worse love interest. I held out through the series because I thought, or at least was hoping, banri would get with linda but apparently not. it's not a TERRIBLE anime but it's not that good either. people on tiktok especially have made golden time out to be, like most anime that are talked about on that app, incredibly overrated. I've stopped taking any anime opinions from that app altogether.
Aug 12, 2023 1:07 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
Uruichi said:
Rsdakilla said:

wtf are u high? 😂 golden time is way better than toradora I hated most of the characters in that anime especially taiga she was a bitch till the end the only decent character was ryuuji maybe.

well ain't that just the lovely thing about opinions? Yes taiga was a bitch, but she did eventually come around, koko literally never changed, and for the record, I was team minori
Aug 12, 2023 1:08 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
xXGoreGrinderXx said:
right?! Kouko was a terrible character and an even worse love interest. I held out through the series because I thought, or at least was hoping, banri would get with linda but apparently not. it's not a TERRIBLE anime but it's not that good either. people on tiktok especially have made golden time out to be, like most anime that are talked about on that app, incredibly overrated. I've stopped taking any anime opinions from that app altogether.

yeah, I was hoping for more diversity in the romance but it was pretty one track the whole time. idk, I watched it till the end so it could've been worse but I was waiting for it to end for a good chunk of those 24 eps
Aug 12, 2023 1:10 AM
Mar 2021
Rsdakilla said:
Uruichi said:

well ain't that just the lovely thing about opinions? Yes taiga was a bitch, but she did eventually come around, koko literally never changed, and for the record, I was team minori

well I understand that koko was annoying at first but atleast there wasn't the whole trope of her hitting the mc for no apparent reason which toradora and nisekai adopted 😂
Aug 12, 2023 1:10 AM
Jul 2023
Uruichi said:
Rsdakilla said:

there's not a single aspect of golden time that is even marginally better than toradora. not even the animation and golden time came out half a decade after. are the characters in toradora goofy? sure. but the characters in golden time were goofy, shitty people, and like the author said, didn't feel real due to them being written poorly.
Aug 12, 2023 1:13 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
Uruichi said:
Rsdakilla said:

well I understand that koko was annoying at first but atleast there wasn't the whole trope of her hitting the mc for no apparent reason which toradora and nisekai adopted 😂

but she did though, any time she got upset with banri she hit him, not to mention gaslighting him any time there was a disagreement, I have no problem with the tsundere archetype, in fact I like it but in the case of koko it was just too much for me, the whole time I was expecting a "I only dated you to make the other guy jealous" thing to happen, their "romance" never once felt real, it always seemed like an act to me
Aug 12, 2023 1:18 AM
Mar 2021
xXGoreGrinderXx said:
Uruichi said:

there's not a single aspect of golden time that is even marginally better than toradora. not even the animation and golden time came out half a decade after. are the characters in toradora goofy? sure. but the characters in golden time were goofy, shitty people, and like the author said, didn't feel real due to them being written poorly.

well that's your opinion I totally felt the opposite
Aug 12, 2023 1:22 AM
Jul 2023
Uruichi said:
xXGoreGrinderXx said:

well that's your opinion I totally felt the opposite

that's fair and valid.
Aug 12, 2023 1:24 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
Moppit said:
That is a major occurrence in a lot of animes. No one listens to problem of the one that's having troubles. They turn and act blindly not fully understanding what's going on. Then again if they knew what was going on and act accordingly there wouldn't be a anime.

I'm more so upset about the ending, it's kind of how I felt about a silent voice, by the time the curtain closes, nobody has faced any repercussions for their actions and everything goes back to normal
Aug 12, 2023 1:25 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
Dracus3 said:
I think Hayashida and Oka are the best characters. The orders are messed up. The MC should've ended up with one of those two.

I agree. I would've liked to see him interact romantically with some other characters
Aug 12, 2023 1:26 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
ishinashi302 said:
Uruichi said:

Literally both dogshit

considering your account was just created today I'm gonna assume you're just here to troll and if not at least you have tqq a good score
Aug 12, 2023 1:27 AM

Jul 2023
Rsdakilla said:
Dracus3 said:

I agree. I would've liked to see him interact romantically with some other characters

Yes, it would've been much better.
Aug 12, 2023 1:43 AM
Aug 2022
I agree with you 100 percent.
Aug 12, 2023 1:53 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
Ricky16 said:

the more people I see agree with me the more I wonder how this show got such a high rating lol
Aug 12, 2023 2:50 AM
Oct 2021
Rsdakilla said:
I just don't know how to word it, none of these characters feel like they were written to be likeable. Every time there is even the slightest inconvience with the main character, his so called "friends" just lash out on him like he's some kind of super villian. Not only that, the main love intrest is just so insufferable that I genuinely don't see how anyone can like her at all, she's a spoiled rich girl and when anything bad happens she just cries and tries to force pity from other people and for whatever reason, despite many of the main cast recognizing this flaw, when
everyone just lashes out on him and doesn't try to hear his side. And don't even get me started on Banri himself, he has absolutley zero backbone and just gets walked all over for the entire show. These characters don't feel even remotely real, and yes, I understand that they're not meant to be but they just feel like what an alien race would view humans as, overly emotional and irrational...

There has never been a better review of this , it’s way too overrated
Aug 12, 2023 5:12 AM
Jan 2021
this anime is a little messed up but it's still a good story. for some reason I'll never forget watching this anime I gave it a 10/10... just my opinion
Aug 12, 2023 6:33 AM
Sep 2019
This is definitely one anime I've never understood the hype on. A lot of people swear by it, say it's the best romance anime they've ever seen. I'm surprised I actually finished it. But hey, different strokes for different folks I guess.
Aug 12, 2023 8:56 AM

Aug 2019
I absolutely loved Golden Time and its characters. It's amongst my favourite anime of all time...Kouko is amongst my favourite characters of all time.
Aug 12, 2023 8:58 AM
Nov 2018
Rsdakilla said:
Moppit said:

I'm more so upset about the ending, it's kind of how I felt about a silent voice, by the time the curtain closes, nobody has faced any repercussions for their actions and everything goes back to normal

Unfortunately that's another common thing with any show. No matter what happens or anything significant that happens. Everything seems to return to status quo or very little of importance changes. Especially with romances yeah the couple gets together but nothing really changes. I watch most animes I end liking one of the characters doesn't even have to be the MC and I want to see what happens to them
Aug 12, 2023 9:08 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
calebchetty said:
this anime is a little messed up but it's still a good story. for some reason I'll never forget watching this anime I gave it a 10/10... just my opinion

aye, I get it, I myself have quite a few shows that despite having flaws I still love to death, I didn't wanna stomp on anyone's opinion, I just saw the ratings were pretty positive and wanted to see if I was just missing something.
Aug 12, 2023 9:09 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
Nyamaste said:
This is definitely one anime I've never understood the hype on. A lot of people swear by it, say it's the best romance anime they've ever seen. I'm surprised I actually finished it. But hey, different strokes for different folks I guess.

yeah, I sat through it till the end but I certainly feel like I could've spent my time somewhere else lol
Aug 12, 2023 9:10 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
Moppit said:
Rsdakilla said:

Unfortunately that's another common thing with any show. No matter what happens or anything significant that happens. Everything seems to return to status quo or very little of importance changes. Especially with romances yeah the couple gets together but nothing really changes. I watch most animes I end liking one of the characters doesn't even have to be the MC and I want to see what happens to them

you do have a point there.
Aug 12, 2023 9:12 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
btech2009 said:
I absolutely loved Golden Time and its characters. It's amongst my favourite anime of all time...Kouko is amongst my favourite characters of all time.

and I commend you for sticking to that, I just don't quite get the hype.
Aug 12, 2023 9:15 AM
Sep 2020
Kaga was supposed to be made that way I guess I mean she was supposed to be a spoiled girl in this show for the story to go on
Aug 12, 2023 9:15 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
HatTrkPatrk said:
Rsdakilla said:

Unless someone's got you held at gunpoint while you browse MAL and/or watch shit, you are free to feel however you want about them.

On the off chance someone is, you should probably do whatever they tell you to for the time being.

😭 I just saw all the positive reviews and such and decided to ask for some other opinions, despite me and my two friends that have watched it, everyone else seemed to love it so I was curious if I was just missing something. I have a similar opinion on clannad and clannad after story, I personally loved clannad and wasn't a huge fan of after story which some see as a big taboo 😅
Aug 12, 2023 9:17 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
Volts71 said:
Kaga was supposed to be made that way I guess I mean she was supposed to be a spoiled girl in this show for the story to go on

I know what you mean but I was kinda hoping for a little more growth in her character but for the most part she stays selfish until the very end.
Aug 12, 2023 10:23 AM

Jul 2015
Unfortunately us humans indeed ARE overly emotional and irrational.... I had an ex that acted exactly like Kouko, and she was very insufferable😬 I enjoyed that they showed us the realization they all had because, frankly, how many times have you told one of your mates "bro, she's TERRIBLE for you. Just leave her already." only for them to never listen to you. But there's always that "aha" moment when you finally see reality for how it is. Love and hormones and all that shit blind you to the simplest facts. I enjoyed how much these things at a high level did indeed reflect relationships.

Anyways these are just my thoughts based on my own life :) buy I totally understand how it's unwatchable for a ton of peeps
Have a healthy, happy, day of hilarity!

[font="\"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.[/font]

Aug 12, 2023 11:02 AM
Mar 2019
Rsdakilla said:

I've heard a lot of people talk about how relatable the characters are but I couldn't figure out why when I watched it I didn't like the main girl at all and the show is kind of bland in my opinion. the only characters I really liked were the girls in the club that everybody ran away from
Aug 12, 2023 11:13 AM

Jul 2021
I think so, I like many horrible characters, but these are horrible, and I hate them, meaning the author intended us to like them, but failed.
Aug 12, 2023 5:10 PM
Aug 2018
i just started watching this anime today after hearing so many rave reviews about it. people say it's one of the best romance anime of all time and still holds its weight today, but i feel like there is almost nothing to like about it.
tada actually has an interesting backstory regarding his accident and i would be inclined to watch the show for that. sadly, even that is written horribly, accompanied by the most exasperating, infuriating, and immature characters i've seen, makes this anime just unbearable to watch sometimes.
it's obvious that we are supposed to feel sympathy for kaga kougou by our exposure to her regrets and self-awareness, but it's shallow and holds little meaning.
i thought toradora was also mediocre and shallow, and aimed at guys with "i can fix her!" complexes and it makes total sense that it was written by the same author. 

Aug 12, 2023 9:21 PM

Aug 2021
agree. i actually like the story structure and premise but it feels like with these characters it comes off a bit bland and weird
Aug 13, 2023 1:53 AM
Sep 2014
Rsdakilla said:
ishinashi302 said:

toradora was definitely better than golden time but I always thought it was pretty overrated personally. Taiga is not as annoying as the main girl from Golden time (forget her name, been a while since I've watched it), but she's pretty damn close imo
Aug 13, 2023 1:56 AM
Jul 2018
What do you expect from the author of Toradora?
Aug 13, 2023 3:46 AM

Jul 2023
Rsdakilla said:
Ricky16 said:

the more people I see agree with me the more I wonder how this show got such a high rating lol

yep, I wonder 😅
Aug 13, 2023 8:47 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
-Rand- said:
What do you expect from the author of Toradora?

idk, I watched toradora forever ago and I really liked it, maybe I'll rewatch it and see If that changes but I never really actively disliked the show
Aug 13, 2023 10:58 AM

Aug 2019
Rsdakilla said:
btech2009 said:

and I commend you for sticking to that, I just don't quite get the hype.

Hype ruins everything....atleast that's the case with me.

So I understand where you are coming from. Mindless praising a given piece of media in excess (which many people do nowadays) as "peak" and "going hard" etc. just ruins the experience for others because said praise is subjective and is often accompanied by vitriol towards similar works. This type of extreme praise first occurred for CSM and now it is happening for JJK S2. The tragedy is that the praise cannot be substantiated alone...so it is forcibly justified by the bashing of something else. 

Golden Time is one of my favorite romance anime. For some it may just be average. For some it may be trash.

All opinions are justified because it's a matter of preference. ALL OPINIONS ARE JUSTIFIED AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT FORCED UPON OTHERS.  
Sep 4, 2023 7:55 PM
Aug 2020
Urmadlol said:

Well, Well, what are humans without flaws... What are humans without hypocrisy and most importantly what are humans without emotional outbreaks.

Rationality is a case of its own... wouldnt speak of it much as they are not the brightest of cast
Sep 4, 2023 8:39 PM
The Extra

Feb 2021
kizuyomi said:
Urmadlol said:

Well, Well, what are humans without flaws... What are humans without hypocrisy and most importantly what are humans without emotional outbreaks.

Rationality is a case of its own... wouldnt speak of it much as they are not the brightest of cast

I never wanted them to be perfect but after a certain point you gotta point out problems, like brah, a character straight up insults banri for no reason because she was upset that SHE decided to cut her own hair. I get that they're characters and not real people but God damn they were just too much.
Sep 13, 2023 10:27 AM
Apr 2018
Honestly I just don't enjoy any of the characters, there's no redeeming qualities about them. They're either very bland and 2d or are so annoying that I want a new character to be there. I personally don't see how people rank this high as a romance anime, the relationship is just not good and feels forced and rushed. I will admit I am dropping the show at 14 episodes, so maybe it improves later on but to me if I'm half way through the show and I hate the characters and the relationship then why continue further.
Sep 13, 2023 11:19 AM
The Extra

Feb 2021
AnimeOverflow said:
Honestly I just don't enjoy any of the characters, there's no redeeming qualities about them. They're either very bland and 2d or are so annoying that I want a new character to be there. I personally don't see how people rank this high as a romance anime, the relationship is just not good and feels forced and rushed. I will admit I am dropping the show at 14 episodes, so maybe it improves later on but to me if I'm half way through the show and I hate the characters and the relationship then why continue further.

nah, I wish I dropped it sooner, it only gets worse and the characters only get more annoying. it's really not worth the time.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

891 by Nikmomo93 »»
May 6, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

290 by Profitgang »»
May 5, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2014

268 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 30, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2013

223 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 24, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2013

430 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 20, 12:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.