Think objectively and answer after reading everything I wrote
Overrated
28.6%
Not overrated
71.4%
112 votes
Aug 11, 2023 12:47 PM
Feb 2022
I think Code Geass is highly overrated. It's a good anime true but it's not one of the greatest anime ever made. It's an 8/10 anime carried by a 10/10 ending and protagonist. The story is decent not great. It's not near One Piece, Monster or Attack on Titan level story. Even the plot twist at the end of s1 was mid. The cast is pretty average aside from Lelouch and Suzaku. Lelouch is very goated. Probably the greatest protagonist in anime. Suzaku is a pretty good character as well though I don't like him. The other characters are just well there for the sake of plot. CC has wasted potential along with others like Shnizel(Idk how to spell his name). The main antagonist was very disappointing. He's nowhere near greatest villains of all time. I do like the politics though.I would even say the story is very messed up. Somehow though the ending landed so perfectly that people seem to forget forget how messed up it was prior. Death Note often gets compared to Code Geass but Death Note is much better ngl. Light - one of the greatest protagonists ever. L -one of the greatest antagonists ever. The story- very great though it falls off a bit after ep-25, it picks up again in the last 3 or 4 episodes and not to mention how great the soundtracks are. With all being said, I actually do like Code Geass but it isn't a 10/10 as most people say. It's carried by Lelouch and the amazing fantastically put ending. Not more than an 8/10
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 11, 2023 1:03 PM
May 2016
Lol, "SnK level of story", have you watched SnK plot hole season? After S4 it's below average.
But for the main topic, if you think there was one antagonist in CG, then you should rewatch it. Or we could argue that there wasn't any antagonist at all.

If we are talking objectively, CG is better than Death Note. Normally I'd say it's the same category, but DN was relatively weak after L died, while in CG there wasn't any problem like that.
You also mentioned how only a couple good characters are in CG, but that's also true for other shows that you mentioned. In DN, only Light and L, while in Monster it's also just the MCs. And compared to those the supporting characters are better in CG. Like Misa Misa in DN was really simply.
Aug 11, 2023 1:04 PM
Aug 2019
Code Geass is what got me into anime. So it has a special place in my heart. I don’t think CG is over rated compared to AoT and Death note. To me Death Note is mid and has a terrible second season. First season was good though. AoT is great but it came after CG so CG has more originality to me. CG has its faults like Mao, and the main villains. But the ending is a 10/10 and the ending in a story is everything. To me a story can be great. But if the ending sucks, I felt like I wasted my time I guess. Code Geass has unique characters that aren’t black and white, and the strategies were intriguing. No hate on AoT or Death note because everyone has likes and dislikes. But I don’t think it is overhyped or under. I know so many people that haven’t heard of CG but know all about Death Note and AoT. I have not seen Monster so I can’t make my opinions that show. Anyway, you give excellent points.
Aug 11, 2023 1:06 PM
Oct 2022
my brother in christ you literally gave it 10/10 and have it in your favourite what are you even waffling about 😭
Aug 11, 2023 1:16 PM

Jun 2023
Code Geass isn't praised just for the story and ending alone, it's more like when it came out it was a big deal cuz it aired in the same week as Death Note and they were hype. And years later it's the nostalgia that makes everyone think of how good it was.

idk

"To the boy who once sought freedom, goodbye." 🕊️
Aug 11, 2023 1:24 PM
Jan 2021
ktg said:
Lol, "SnK level of story", have you watched SnK plot hole season? After S4 it's below average.
But for the main topic, if you think there was one antagonist in CG, then you should rewatch it. Or we could argue that there wasn't any antagonist at all.

If we are talking objectively, CG is better than Death Note. Normally I'd say it's the same category, but DN was relatively weak after L died, while in CG there wasn't any problem like that.
You also mentioned how only a couple good characters are in CG, but that's also true for other shows that you mentioned. In DN, only Light and L, while in Monster it's also just the MCs. And compared to those the supporting characters are better in CG. Like Misa Misa in DN was really simply.

U did not just call AoT s4 below average💀 It's the best season overall with the best storyline, best version of Eren, amazingly written characters like Zeke, gabi, Reiner, Armin, Eren, Floch, Jean etc. How did u even came to the conclusion thay It's below average after seeing episodes like Memories of the future, From u 2000 years ago, Dawn of Humanity, Deceleration of War or the last ep????
Aug 11, 2023 1:52 PM
Jun 2023
Well, It is kind of overrated, I mean it's not 10/10 but I wouldn't say that cg is HIGHLY overrated. The story has its flaws just like in the other anime you mentioned, so I wouldn't go as far as saying it's not on their level. I have it in my favourites, I liked it, but it isn't some kind of story god blessed us with, like some people say, so I mostly agree with the rest of your post.
3majlaAug 11, 2023 2:12 PM
Aug 11, 2023 2:22 PM

Mar 2021
hold on. an 8/10 anime carried by a 10/10 ending and protagonist = overrated?
Aug 11, 2023 2:33 PM

Jan 2015
If it's capable to keep me interested for 50 episodes, conjure such a beloved charismatic villainy hero that i once put in my favorite characters list and then give me a brilliant ending as a gift, it's not really overrated.
XavionAug 11, 2023 2:37 PM

• reminder to do something today that will make your life better •
• true failure is when you stop trying •

Aug 11, 2023 2:35 PM
Dec 2021
ktg said:

One Piece t*** detected.
he mentioned SNK, Monster and even DN out of nowhere but didn't said anything about One Piece.
definitely here to make SNK, Monster &DN look bad.
Aug 11, 2023 2:57 PM
Oct 2022
It's a safe company product, looking at it I could easily tell it wasn't a manga adaptation. But something that a bunch of writers decide in a consensus. There are literal high school episodes of chasing cats, pizzas and silliest things completely ruining the 'heavy' plot where the world seems to be on a brink constantly. 

That's why you don't just give the fans what they want, you need to have a backbone of completely changing the atmosphere when writing a story like this. Look at how AOT changed everything in season 4 as it expands. Code Geass expands AND keeps the silly aspect. Trying to have cake and eat it too. 

(Spoiler) For example, S2 should have been completely different from S1 after the twist since the relationships change once the protagonist's identity is discovered. And yet, they somehow manage to revert the series back to 'highschool shenanigans' as well as continuing the grand story. Talk about taking GRAND Liberties. (Spoiler end)

However, I liked the fast paced and the 'sword of akasha' episode had a deep concept.
Aug 11, 2023 3:03 PM
Feb 2022
Hereforanimes said:
I think Code Geass is highly overrated. It's a good anime true but it's not one of the greatest anime ever made. It's an 8/10 anime carried by a 10/10 ending and protagonist. The story is decent not great. It's not near One Piece, Monster or Attack on Titan level story. Even the plot twist at the end of s1 was mid. The cast is pretty average aside from Lelouch and Suzaku. Lelouch is very goated. Probably the greatest protagonist in anime. Suzaku is a pretty good character as well though I don't like him. The other characters are just well there for the sake of plot. CC has wasted potential along with others like Shnizel(Idk how to spell his name). The main antagonist was very disappointing. He's nowhere near greatest villains of all time. I do like the politics though.I would even say the story is very messed up. Somehow though the ending landed so perfectly that people seem to forget forget how messed up it was prior. Death Note often gets compared to Code Geass but Death Note is much better ngl. Light - one of the greatest protagonists ever. L -one of the greatest antagonists ever. The story- very great though it falls off a bit after ep-25, it picks up again in the last 3 or 4 episodes and not to mention how great the soundtracks are. With all being said, I actually do like Code Geass but it isn't a 10/10 as most people say. It's carried by Lelouch and the amazing fantastically put ending. Not more than an 8/10

so what you give one piece, Naruto, dragon Ball, bleach, attack on Titan, spy family, full metal alchemist, I see them all overrated
Aug 11, 2023 3:16 PM
May 2015
Code Geass is an enjoyable time capsule of 2000s anime. It has everything adolescent boys love: school setting, giant mech fights, hot girls in skimpy outfits, and a cool genius protagonist with a superpower. It’s not the best anime out there, but it’s pretty good and very nostalgic for us who grew up with that era of anime.
Aug 11, 2023 3:54 PM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread locked for breaking the Anime Discussion Guidelines:
2. Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. An example includes:
    d. personal storytelling, narration, ranting, and/or blog-style posts
      e.g. Rate my list/favorites, Post your ___ and I'll rate it, review and/or rant texts about an anime, etc.
      These topics only encourage a one-way discussion where members are commenting on the poster's idea (or vice versa).
If you wish to share your thoughts regarding a specific anime, please either use the review or blog features.

You may also use this thread if you want to talk about overrated/underrated anime.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Sep 28, 2008

1904 by felipecardel »»
May 30, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Aug 31, 2008

576 by bubba460z »»
May 28, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

PimpToad - Apr 6, 2008

404 by bubba460z »»
May 26, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TechnicsMKII - Sep 21, 2008

370 by sharosharo »»
May 20, 4:05 AM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Sep 14, 2008

306 by sharosharo »»
May 20, 3:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.