Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 5, 2023 11:39 AM

Apr 2012
Considering that this is an adaptation of a cult author's cult work that will also get one of the most hyped and controversial anime writers of recent years, I think this is a great opportunity to speculate or voice your opinions or expectations. Especially considering that a couple of years ago we already got an adaptation of the another cult classic of Go Nagai with the same screenwriter and that it was unusually popular despite a number of strange decisions, atleast for me. But nonetheless. So what? In my opinion, this can be either a completely high-quality work, or a failed or at least a controversial show, depending on the adequacy of Ichiro and the staff this time. But at least we'll definitely get another toxic fathers, homoerotic friendships, homages (or rip-offs) of Ichiro's favorite animes and edgy MC, it's a classic.
Aug 5, 2023 12:38 PM
Jan 2022
That's childhood stuff for me. There's a high chance I'll be disappointed no matter what. In fact, I may even be disappointed by the original anime if I re-watch it now because it won't match the memories I have. For me, it's best not to dig out the past. Now for the young who never saw Grendizer, that could be a good thing.
Aug 5, 2023 12:51 PM

Apr 2019
We'll see how it goes. I'm pretty hyped, although I found it pretty weird to have a Grenadier remake on Mazinger's 50th birthday (but that was to be expected since we already had a Mazinger remake some years ago)
Aug 5, 2023 3:23 PM

Feb 2012
Fun fact: part of the committee is Manga Productions a subsidiary of the MiSK Foundation owned by the Saudi Crown Prince. Manga Productions notably co-produced the Japanese-Saudi film The Journey with Toei Animation. Grendizer had a huge cultural impact in Arabic-speaking countries so it's no wonder they're involved in this.
https://www.arabnews.com/node/2350076/saudi-arabia
Fortress_MaximusAug 6, 2023 2:58 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 5, 2023 3:38 PM

Aug 2017
If it actually comes out then maybe Gaina can do something about their other stalled projects...cautiously looking forward to this, I guess?
Aug 5, 2023 4:18 PM
Nov 2022
St0rmblade said:
If it actually comes out then maybe Gaina can do something about their other stalled projects...cautiously looking forward to this, I guess?
Apparently Anno sued Gaina for selling projects without the permission of everyone involved and handed over the rights to those projects to the ATAC. If Gaina ever wants to release those production hell works, there will be some trademark issues that need to be ironed out now.

Yamaga claimed in December 2022 that he's still working on Uru in Blue. Given that he's not exactly honest and a bit of a scumbag, I won't believe it until I see it. I haven't heard any recent news on Top wo Nerae 3 and that diving girl show. Rescue Academia and Sadon Desu were likely cancelled.

The Zero Century movies are in production as of February 2023. Gainax Kyoto is allegedly involved with them instead of Gaina.
Aug 5, 2023 5:28 PM

Jan 2021
Excuse me but if you're actually calling Go Nagai, one of the most world renowned and awarded mangaka of all times who has been cited as inspirations by HUNDREDS of other authors, a "cult author", then I can't take the rest of the post seriously.
Aug 5, 2023 10:53 PM

Apr 2012
Ionliosite2 said:
Excuse me but if you're actually calling Go Nagai, one of the most world renowned and awarded mangaka of all times who has been cited as inspirations by HUNDREDS of other authors, a "cult author", then I can't take the rest of the post seriously.
You reminded me of an ancient conflict that only started because someone called a certain K-Pop group good, but they was "the best!111". Seriously, dude, is cult not enough for you anymore?
Aug 5, 2023 10:54 PM

Apr 2012
Fortress_Maximus said:
Fun fact: part of the committee is Manga Productions, which is owned by Dynamic Productions (handler of Go Nagai and Ken Ishikawa's IPs)  and the MiSK Foundation (owned by the Saudi Crown Prince). Manga Productions notably co-produced the Japanese-Saudi film The Journey with Toei Animation. Grendizer had a huge cultural impact in Arabic-speaking countries so it's no wonder they're involved in this.
Do you think that since the Arabs are participating, this time it will do without copying Utena and flirting with Twitter?
Aug 6, 2023 2:30 AM

Feb 2012
RobertBobert said:
Fortress_Maximus said:
Fun fact: part of the committee is Manga Productions, which is owned by Dynamic Productions (handler of Go Nagai and Ken Ishikawa's IPs)  and the MiSK Foundation (owned by the Saudi Crown Prince). Manga Productions notably co-produced the Japanese-Saudi film The Journey with Toei Animation. Grendizer had a huge cultural impact in Arabic-speaking countries so it's no wonder they're involved in this.
Do you think that since the Arabs are participating, this time it will do without copying Utena and flirting with Twitter?

G-Witch is an original IP, Grendizer is not.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 6, 2023 4:19 AM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:
Ionliosite2 said:
You reminded me of an ancient conflict that only started because someone called a certain K-Pop group good, but they was "the best!111". Seriously, dude, is cult not enough for you anymore?
A cult author has a specific meaning, though, with nothing to do with quality. It implies a cult following, while Nagai is mainstream. Calling him cult would be wrong considering the popularity of his work worldwide.

Aug 6, 2023 9:12 AM

Apr 2012
Epiccgaymer said:
RobertBobert said:
A cult author has a specific meaning, though, with nothing to do with quality. It implies a cult following, while Nagai is mainstream. Calling him cult would be wrong considering the popularity of his work worldwide.
Who told you that an author or work cannot be cult and at the same time be mainstream? Star Wars is an cult franchise and is literally one of the most influential and significant sci-fi brands out there. Stop sounding like fanboys who are ready to cling to words if their favorite author is called "not great enough".

Fortress_Maximus said:
RobertBobert said:

However, there is still a huge brand and franchise behind G-Witch. Which really became one of the reasons for the controversy around the show.
Aug 6, 2023 12:20 PM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:
Epiccgaymer said:
Who told you that an author or work cannot be cult and at the same time be mainstream? Star Wars is an cult franchise and is literally one of the most influential and significant sci-fi brands out there. Stop sounding like fanboys who are ready to cling to words if their favorite author is called "not great enough".

Fortress_Maximus said:

However, there is still a huge brand and franchise behind G-Witch. Which really became one of the reasons for the controversy around the show.

As I keep saying, cult has nothing to do with your opinion on it. Even i hated Go Nagai's work, I'd still call him mainstream.

And no, you can't be a cult property and a mainstream one at the same time. Cult following means a small, dedicated fanbase while mainstream means popular enough to have strong popularity amongst general audiences. The two don't go together.

Aug 6, 2023 1:33 PM

Apr 2012
Epiccgaymer said:
RobertBobert said:

As I keep saying, cult has nothing to do with your opinion on it. Even i hated Go Nagai's work, I'd still call him mainstream.

And no, you can't be a cult property and a mainstream one at the same time. Cult following means a small, dedicated fanbase while mainstream means popular enough to have strong popularity amongst general audiences. The two don't go together.
The repetition of the thesis is not an argument. Especially if what you're saying goes against any definition of the word cult. Tell that to the people who think Star Wars is a cult franchise. Though I'll probably just stop replying to you, as you seem to be using this argument to pester me out of obvious dislike in another thread.
Aug 6, 2023 1:39 PM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:
Epiccgaymer said:

The repetition of the thesis is not an argument. Especially if what you're saying goes against any definition of the word cult. Tell that to the people who think Star Wars is a cult franchise. Though I'll probably just stop replying to you, as you seem to be using this argument to pester me out of obvious dislike in another thread.

But that is what cult in the meaning of media fanbases means. "A movie, book, musical artist, television series or video game, among other things, has a cult following when it has a small but very passionate fanbase"
Nagai and Star Wars are both too popular to be cult, so anybody who uses the term to describe them is misapplied the term

Aug 6, 2023 6:13 PM
Aug 2019
that was my dad's favorite anime
Aug 7, 2023 11:54 AM

Jun 2017
I absolutely LOVED Grendizer when I was a kid, so I can't wait for this reboot!
Aug 7, 2023 9:18 PM
Aug 2023
Syrian-American here. Honestly I'm not a big mecha fan, but I was hoping to add some extra context here that non-Arabs might not know about! There's a lot of info, but I'll try to sort out my thoughts as best as I can.

Regarding Grendizer - Grendizer's cultural impact in the Arab-speaking world really can't be overstated. Virtually every Arab since 1980 has watched it even if they aren't into anime at all. It's about as omnipresent as Superman or the Avengers are here in the States, you'll find it everywhere wherever you go, whether its merch or murals or even a tank.  Also, the legendary Samy Clark sung the Arabic opening theme for the original Grendizer, and if you just want another example of how seriously Arabs treat Grendizer, he did an orchestral version of it back in 2018.

Manga Productions is based in Saudi, but some of it's staff are veterans of the Damascus companies SpaceToon and Al-Zahra Center (Venus Center in English). SpaceToon was our Toonami growing up, they imported a ton of anime ranging from DBZ and Beyblade to Lost Universe, Tiger Mask, or my personal favorite of the time, Ginga Sengoku Gunyuden Rai. Venus Center is basically it's predecessor and parent, they are to date the only direct Japanese-to-Arabic dubbing house! They took the anime they thought would resonate the most with Arab youth, translated both the language and the cultural contexts, used local talent to do the dubs and custom themes, and then edited/recut the anime to match the dub and remove anything they deemed inappropriate. They're a legendary company and their dubs are the source of many great, nostalgic memories, I can still remember some of the themes' lyrics even now. 

Unfortunately, due to the war, a lot of the talent that made up SpaceToon fled to other Arab countries, but eventually some of them came back together, helping form Manga Productions with Saudi funding. To date they've made two productions, Future's Folktales which is basically an advertisement for MbS' vision of Saudi, and an anime film called The Journey, which is a dramatization of the historical event known as the Year of the Elephant, when Abyssinian troops attempted to invade the Arabian peninsula.

From what I understand about Grendizer U, it seems like this is being made entirely because of the huge popular demand in the Arab world, hence why Gaina is partnering with MP, and with MP seemingly being the lead in advertising and marketing it internationally. Based on MP's YouTube it seems like they're planning an Arabic (of course) release, with English, French, and Italian also planned. It's quite interesting!

As for what I think, I'm cautiously optimistic about this reboot. The people who are working on this are absolutely going to be big fans of the original work, so I hope that'll show through. And any guys on the project who came from SpaceToon will have had prior experience working on anime. Working with Gaina should hopefully be a help too, especially since MP as a whole is relatively new.
Oct 18, 2023 3:03 AM

Dec 2017
Grendizer? in this economy?
Nov 16, 2023 5:06 AM

Nov 2007
new key visual
staff, cast
More announcements on December 10, 2023
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/549359

additional casts
PV1
OP: "Kaishin no Ichigeki (会心ノ一撃)" by GLAY
ED: "Protect You" BAND-MAID
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/552554

additional casts
PV2
Summer 2024
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/571510
tsubasaloverApr 30, 1:03 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 16, 2023 5:16 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Fortress_Maximus
RobertBobert said:
Fortress_Maximus said:

@Fortress_Maximus @tsubasalover provided the first cast announcement. 2 main male characters and 4 female characters, as far as I can see. But as far as I understand, none of them are original at the moment. But anyway, judging by the interview with VA, they did bring something new because they talk about some "original elements" and call the anime a reboot of the original show. Perhaps this is expected, but they really put an emphasis on the desire to attract new viewers and retain old ones. They also have 3 or 4 mecha designer if that means anything.
RobertBobertNov 16, 2023 5:23 AM
Dec 10, 2023 12:09 PM
Sep 2016
Hopefully I like it because I'm giving it a chance only because of the band who's doing the ending song. BAND-MAID -po! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Apr 28, 9:22 PM

Apr 2024
I'm honestly a little shocked JAM Project isn't involved in this at all, Given their connection to Mazinger in the modern era
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Apr 30, 11:56 AM
Nov 2022
Reply to Timeline_man
I'm honestly a little shocked JAM Project isn't involved in this at all, Given their connection to Mazinger in the modern era
@Timeline_man Is it, though? This anime is clearly going more for a more ethereal, surreal aesthetic than over-the-top hot-blooded action.

More topics from this board

» Second PV with opening

Fortress_Maximus - Apr 30

3 by ooReiko »»
May 3, 10:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.