Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 4, 2023 12:53 PM

Nov 2020
SPOILERS.
I have read about 11 volumes (90ish chapters) of the manga and I am a little confused. it seems like this movie was centered around Ryota being the main character instead of Sakuragi. Is this a cannon movie? I checked the final chapters and it seems that they do go against the same basketball team but I am confused why Ryota is considered the main character.
Aug 4, 2023 1:36 PM
Jul 2020
It’s an adaptation of the last game of the series, intercut with Miyagi’s backstory that wasn’t in the manga. This makes it more interesting for people who’ve already read the manga, while also making it a better standalone story for people who haven’t.
Aug 4, 2023 2:12 PM
May 2021
Austin_Bale said:
It’s an adaptation of the last game of the series, intercut with Miyagi’s backstory that wasn’t in the manga. This makes it more interesting for people who’ve already read the manga, while also making it a better standalone story for people who haven’t.

yeah basically this. Since Ryota was already my favorite character, despite having no backstory, this movie was amazing to me. I do wish they utilized Sakuragi a bit more in the movie, but they did a good job regardless.
Aug 4, 2023 2:39 PM
Sep 2016
It was written and directed by the author of the manga. There is no question of its canonicity.
Aug 4, 2023 7:39 PM
Feb 2020
Canon doesn't mean manga. Start there young one.
Aug 4, 2023 8:32 PM

Jan 2020
giffica said:

But if his local movie theater is having a limited exhibition of it, there's no need to read the manga first and risk to let the opportunity pass. Specially because the movie has a different epilogue, that only concludes the story for a couple of characters. If he wants the complete epilogue, he'll still have to read the manga.
Aug 4, 2023 8:36 PM
Feb 2020
Joao_VHS_ said:
giffica said:

But if his local movie theater is having a limited exhibition of it, there's no need to read the manga first and risk to let the opportunity pass. Specially because the movie has a different epilogue, that only concludes the story for a couple of characters. If he wants the complete epilogue, he'll still have to read the manga.

Correct. He can watch this before the manga. Most people watched this before piercing 😉

More topics from this board

Poll: » The First Slam Dunk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WeAllShineOn - Dec 3, 2022

68 by BlexFi5 »»
Yesterday, 4:49 AM

» Do you think more anime should be directed by the mangaka?

APolygons2 - May 8

6 by Otaku_4511 »»
May 10, 5:21 AM

» Is this a sequel?

Andrevenus01 - May 3

6 by Otaku_4511 »»
May 4, 1:51 PM

» Blu-Ray when?

HusaynTV - Aug 14, 2023

9 by leftjoycon »»
Apr 2, 9:56 PM

» 『THE FIRST SLAM DUNK』Movie Blu-ray/DVD LIMITED EDITION + Standard Edition sold 234,764 copies in its first week

deg - Mar 5

5 by Otaku_4511 »»
Mar 14, 8:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.