Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 27, 2023 10:02 AM

Jan 2021
So I recently finished 86 and I am just wondering if I am the only one who isn't a big fan of season 2. Like to me season 2 really just came out of nowhere they were supposed to die then they are suddenly fighting for a random army. If the show was an anime original I feel like it should've ended after season 1.

This is just my opinion I am hoping to see other peoples opinion on this
Luffy is a little overated.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 27, 2023 10:09 AM
Feb 2021
I liked part 2 more than the first. Especially the ending, it was incredibly heart felt and made me enjoy the show so much more. I can see how you’d feel like the second part was a bit out of place though
Jul 27, 2023 10:10 AM
Dec 2020
I agree. S1 was fantastic, where S2 was just ok imo. I felt like the quality of the story went down and turned into a basic shounen with basic villans.
Jul 27, 2023 10:13 AM

May 2020
I think Major Kita's absence is much more of the reason why some people rated this season lower than the 1st!!!

It actually explores the world outside San Magnolia which this show kinda lacks worldbuilding at that point of the story!!!

Not to mention,

It helps the Survey Corps character developments on how they transition to normal citizens & how it affects their motivations & the things they want to do when theyre out of the battlefield!!!

& it also improves their interactions on normal people!!!

Its a really good change of pace for their character to develop!!!

I get why they are supposed to die but at the time the LN was new,

It was actually so popular that it made it to the Kono Light Novel Sugoi charts so..
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Jul 27, 2023 10:14 AM
Sep 2022
I agree with you bcoz i completed Season 1 in 1 day but season 2 took me 2 months đź’€
Jul 27, 2023 10:26 AM
May 2022
Fax, part 1 was indeed better imo. I genuinely don't understand why part 2 is rated so much higher on MAL.
Jul 27, 2023 10:30 AM
Apr 2023
i love both. p1 and p2. But i absolutely love ending of p2. ^^
Jul 27, 2023 10:31 AM

Feb 2021
Nah cause this is also season 1

This show only has one season
Jul 27, 2023 10:34 AM
Mar 2021
i disagree.

i think what makes 86 truly shine is their cast of characters, especially the main duo.

while that doesn't excuse for a lack of a cohesive story, (which i agree that the story got worse) i just think you're focusing on the wrong thing.
Jul 27, 2023 10:40 AM
Apr 2021
IMO season 2 was better. Get to understand the different characters a little better and also the world. It stays pretty true to its source material (the light novel) and kinda sets the stage for the expansion of the world and the scope of the war along with the inner struggles that each of the 86 face, esp. Shin. It also introduces alot of characters that play a big part later on. I just hope they continue to adapt 86 throughout its whole entirety.
Jul 27, 2023 10:44 AM

Jan 2021
drooliv said:
i disagree.

i think what makes 86 truly shine is their cast of characters, especially the main duo.

while that doesn't excuse for a lack of a cohesive story, (which i agree that the story got worse) i just think you're focusing on the wrong thing.
I don't understand how I am focusing on the wrong thing here the sudden shift in story just doesn't do it  for me
Jul 27, 2023 10:45 AM
Apr 2021
and actually as previously said its all considered season 1. And having watch the second cour as it was airing I absolutely hated the wait for the season finale episodes. but I absolutely love that the wait to the finale was exactlyn86 days.
Jul 27, 2023 10:45 AM

Jan 2021
ItsLeviOsa said:
I agree. S1 was fantastic, where S2 was just ok imo. I felt like the quality of the story went down and turned into a basic shounen with basic villans.
Exactly what im saying
Jul 27, 2023 10:47 AM
Mar 2021
Cudlyyy said:
drooliv said:
i disagree.

I don't understand how I am focusing on the wrong thing here the sudden shift in story just doesn't do it  for me

if the sudden shift in story is enough to bother you, then i respect your opinion and fully understand why you disliked this season more than the previous

i just personally think that the story never meant much when it came to 86.
Jul 27, 2023 11:09 AM

Jan 2023
I disagree with this, part 2 has a different focus compared to part 1. Part 2 is more focused on our characters, namely Shin as he struggles to find a purpose to continue fighting.

The Special Recon Mission they took in the end was an act by the Republic to kill off the remaining veterans but it didn't, they survived because they were rescued by the Federacy (More details are shown in volume 2). The part where you mention the random army, they enlisted into the Officers program because the group didn't feel satisfied living in peace inside the Federacy and chose to enlist due to their pride being what is left for them.
Also worldbuilding, showing that there's other countries beyond the Republic. It sets the stage for future volumes in the LN as the war progresses and develops for both the Legion and Humanity.

This is just my personal opinion though, you can disagree or agree with whatever I said.
Jul 27, 2023 11:21 AM

Jan 2021
BitChilly said:
I disagree with this, part 2 has a different focus compared to part 1. Part 2 is more focused on our characters, namely Shin as he struggles to find a purpose to continue fighting.

The Special Recon Mission they took in the end was an act by the Republic to kill off the remaining veterans but it didn't, they survived because they were rescued by the Federacy (More details are shown in volume 2). The part where you mention the random army, they enlisted into the Officers program because the group didn't feel satisfied living in peace inside the Federacy and chose to enlist due to their pride being what is left for them.
Also worldbuilding, showing that there's other countries beyond the Republic. It sets the stage for future volumes in the LN as the war progresses and develops for both the Legion and Humanity.

This is just my personal opinion though, you can disagree or agree with whatever I said.
I understand to me it just didn't make sense how they almost died then all of a sudden are fine and they go to fight for a new army. I know this move is a set up for future volumes but those future don't really need to happen since the end of part 1 would've been a good conclusion to the light novel and or anime. Just my opinion on it.
Jul 27, 2023 11:23 AM
Oct 2020
Bruh no way the second season was a step up in every way pretty much. Tighter cast plot development and amazing action.
Jul 27, 2023 11:38 AM

Jan 2023
Cudlyyy said:
I understand to me it just didn't make sense how they almost died then all of a sudden are fine and they go to fight for a new army. I know this move is a set up for future volumes but those future don't really need to happen since the end of part 1 would've been a good conclusion to the light novel and or anime. Just my opinion on it.

I can understand and see your perspective, no shame in a different opinion. I don't really like the conclusion to the LN part since that would've left off on an incomplete conclusion, leaving with more questions than answers.
Jul 27, 2023 11:40 AM
Jan 2017
I don’t think there’s a major step down in quality but Part 1 is definitely more consistent than Part 2. That being said, all of the greatest and most memorable moments from the show are in this season, so it’s hard to choose between them for me.
Jul 27, 2023 11:53 AM
Apr 2021
Really, ya ok bro?
Jul 27, 2023 11:56 AM
Dec 2021
no...season 2 was so much better than season 1 imo
Jul 27, 2023 12:05 PM
Sep 2022
No, part 2 was way better in terms of storytelling & character development
Jul 27, 2023 12:29 PM
Jan 2022
ItsLeviOsa said:

there's no s2 it's just s1 it's part 2 of s1
Jul 27, 2023 12:56 PM
Oct 2020
Nah part 2 was better imo.

But they were both great — definitely different styles.

I really like the expanded worldbuilding of part 2, expanding our knowledge of powers (frederica/shin), also diving into Shin’s psyche even more — plus one of the best endings to any anime I’ve seen
Jul 27, 2023 1:06 PM
Apr 2020
Part 2 was better for me
Jul 27, 2023 2:09 PM
Aug 2020
Cudlyyy said:
So I recently finished 86 and I am just wondering if I am the only one who isn't a big fan of season 2. Like to me season 2 really just came out of nowhere they were supposed to die then they are suddenly fighting for a random army. If the show was an anime original I feel like it should've ended after season 1.

Yes much worse. I lost interest midway.
Jul 27, 2023 2:32 PM
Jan 2020
No i like both parts equally
Jul 27, 2023 2:38 PM
Feb 2023
I agree

and

Disagree with you

I liked season 2 from season 1 because it wasn't so overly dramatic and had more hope and some light comedy vibes. And of course happy ending.

But I can't stand it the fact that Lena appears so little in this season.

Hardly appears in 3-4 episodes. The whole season is so focused on the 5 remaining characters it's nerve wracking, we wanted it more to show her God Damnit.
Jul 27, 2023 2:53 PM
Jul 2021
Yeah I felt the first half was quite a bit stronger than the second. I gave part 1 a 10/10, and part 2 only moved up to a 9/10 because of the last two episodes
Jul 27, 2023 3:17 PM

Mar 2021
Its part2 of S1, and its great too I like that we got to see other countries in action, and the ending was the best!
Jul 27, 2023 3:40 PM
Nov 2019
I personally thought season 2 was perfection but to each their own!
Jul 27, 2023 3:57 PM

Jan 2021
Moriarty1940 said:
I agree

and

Disagree with you

I liked season 2 from season 1 because it wasn't so overly dramatic and had more hope and some light comedy vibes. And of course happy ending.

But I can't stand it the fact that Lena appears so little in this season.

Hardly appears in 3-4 episodes. The whole season is so focused on the 5 remaining characters it's nerve wracking, we wanted it more to show her God Damnit.

I agree Lena’s lack of appearance was one the reasons I didn’t enjoy it as much.
Jul 27, 2023 4:00 PM
Jul 2020
Milizé’s absence did hurt a lot, but if we are talking about actual quality?

Then that’s an actual hot take if I’ve ever seen one.
Jul 27, 2023 4:01 PM
Jul 2020
Hitagi__Furude said:
I think Major Kita's absence is much more of the reason why some people rated this season lower than the 1st!!!

It actually explores the world outside San Magnolia which this show kinda lacks worldbuilding at that point of the story!!!

Not to mention,

It helps the Survey Corps character developments on how they transition to normal citizens & how it affects their motivations & the things they want to do when theyre out of the battlefield!!!

& it also improves their interactions on normal people!!!

Its a really good change of pace for their character to develop!!!

I get why they are supposed to die but at the time the LN was new,

It was actually so popular that it made it to the Kono Light Novel Sugoi charts so..

“Major Kita”

I’m not letting this reference pass by. I’m not obsessed with voice actors for nothing.
Jul 27, 2023 4:02 PM
Jun 2021
86 only has one season. It’s split into 2 cours. Part 1 and part 2.
Jul 27, 2023 4:04 PM
Jun 2021
ItsLeviOsa said:

I disagree. The entirety of Season 1 was great. I’ve been eagerly waiting for a season 2 announcement. Btw nice name.
Jul 27, 2023 5:16 PM
Mar 2023
As a completely caught up LN reader if the anime ever gets a season 2, you definitely aren’t gonna like it. Personally I like Cour 2 better but that’s just because I’m a big fan of the Reginleif and seeing the main cast interact with non 86 characters was really interesting. The tone did definitely change a bit tho and I can see not being a fan of that.
Jul 27, 2023 5:56 PM
Jul 2021
I just thought both parts were amazing. Both parts 10/10 for me
Jul 27, 2023 6:13 PM
Jul 2021
I agree with you season 1 was a masterpiece but season 2 couldn't match
Jul 27, 2023 6:49 PM
Feb 2021
The first half wasn't as good as Part 1's, but the ending paid off.
Jul 27, 2023 7:35 PM
Jan 2022
To me both parts were fantastic especially that ending in part 2
Jul 27, 2023 7:56 PM
Sep 2020
I agree I liked part 1 more because how straightforward the story is unlike the part 2 which I feel like it's all over the place until the climax where they fight the giant mech
Jul 27, 2023 9:07 PM

Aug 2020
This take always confuses me. Season 1 was generic mecha war show bro. I did not give a single shit to anyone who died until the last episode because they actually took the time to develop the characters a bit near the middle.

And season 2 took that shit and RAN with it. So much characterization, so much world building (holy shit, the empire being the only survivors was a lie all along?! the legion are actually sentient?!? holy shit, all out fucking war from like 4 fronts...), and just much better action scenes really.

Honestly think its just coomers being coomers cus the biggest difference between the 2 seasons was little Lena screentime, and it really really feels like thats the main argument. Ya'll need boobs in your anime all the time to pay attention or something.
RobertsahDHDAJul 27, 2023 9:10 PM
Keep scrolling
Jul 27, 2023 9:11 PM
Jan 2021
Cudlyyy said:

I'm reading the light novels, and without spoiling anything, it's because part 2 is kinda an introduction to what's coming after. It's far from being over. The goal of the story is still to get rid of the Legion.

So I get why you feel that way, but if ever they adapt the rest, you'll understand why.
Jul 27, 2023 9:43 PM
Mar 2022
I really enjoyed the second cour. However, I do feel as though it was weaker than the first. Missing out on Shin and Lena’s interactions hurt the cour but did make for a more emotional finale. I found the pacing to be slower in the earlier part of the cour (Eps 13-15) but it did pick up story wise as it went on. And Rei was a far more compelling villain and character than Kiriya was. I was torn up by Rei’s death but didn’t feel a thing when Kiriya was put down.

Overall I found them to be rather similar in quality but the first cour had a far more compelling antagonist.

(If it’s any consolation, volumes 2 and 3 which were adapted in the second cour are considered to be the weakest in the series since the author wrote the reunion in Ep 23 as an epilogue to Volume 1 which was originally a standalone story. Its success garnered sequels but she was cornered in to the ending. It’s all uphill from here.)
Jul 27, 2023 10:11 PM

Jan 2021
RobertsahDHDA said:
This take always confuses me. Season 1 was generic mecha war show bro. I did not give a single shit to anyone who died until the last episode because they actually took the time to develop the characters a bit near the middle.

And season 2 took that shit and RAN with it. So much characterization, so much world building (holy shit, the empire being the only survivors was a lie all along?! the legion are actually sentient?!? holy shit, all out fucking war from like 4 fronts...), and just much better action scenes really.

Honestly think its just coomers being coomers cus the biggest difference between the 2 seasons was little Lena screentime, and it really really feels like thats the main argument. Ya'll need boobs in your anime all the time to pay attention or something.
Did you even read what I wrote? I never mention anything about Lena's boobs. Lena's absence was one of the reason I did like it as much because once again we got the federacy thrown into our face without much explanation. They were supposed to die a come out a nowhere living a normal life then join up with at the time an un know army.
Jul 27, 2023 10:14 PM

Jan 2021
ZaddyShaxx said:
I really enjoyed the second cour. However, I do feel as though it was weaker than the first. Missing out on Shin and Lena’s interactions hurt the cour but did make for a more emotional finale. I found the pacing to be slower in the earlier part of the cour (Eps 13-15) but it did pick up story wise as it went on. And Rei was a far more compelling villain and character than Kiriya was. I was torn up by Rei’s death but didn’t feel a thing when Kiriya was put down.

Overall I found them to be rather similar in quality but the first cour had a far more compelling antagonist.

(If it’s any consolation, volumes 2 and 3 which were adapted in the second cour are considered to be the weakest in the series since the author wrote the reunion in Ep 23 as an epilogue to Volume 1 which was originally a standalone story. Its success garnered sequels but she was cornered in to the ending. It’s all uphill from here.)
First are you saying that 86 was supposed to end at episode 11 but it was too popular so it continued.
Jul 27, 2023 10:15 PM

Jan 2021
AkatsukiNoMaika said:
Cudlyyy said:

I'm reading the light novels, and without spoiling anything, it's because part 2 is kinda an introduction to what's coming after. It's far from being over. The goal of the story is still to get rid of the Legion.

So I get why you feel that way, but if ever they adapt the rest, you'll understand why.
Yeah I understand this was more build up to future event than anything but for what it is It wasn't my cup of tea.
Jul 27, 2023 10:59 PM
Jun 2020
Wym random enemy? They were always fighting the same enemy, as for the anime they're not really supposed to die the anime just did that which I hated because they want you to buy the light novels...
addie1998Jul 27, 2023 11:12 PM
Jul 27, 2023 11:11 PM
Jun 2020
Cudlyyy said:
ZaddyShaxx said:

First are you saying that 86 was supposed to end at episode 11 but it was too popular so it continued.
no you literally misunderstood what he said, he is saying that the ending of the light novel vol1 is the ending of ep 23 where they meet and lena founding out they were still alive, that is the ending which also spoils vol2 & 3 when the author decided to continue the series
addie1998Jul 28, 2023 5:37 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2021

155 by Ronin_4011 »»
May 20, 5:28 AM

Poll: » 86 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2021

340 by HYPERCOE »»
May 15, 12:11 PM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2022

534 by GabrielVilela »»
May 6, 12:46 PM

» Light Novel after anime??

RadicalSanta - Oct 11, 2022

22 by Rob7 »»
Apr 30, 11:53 PM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2021

239 by Rob7 »»
Apr 30, 9:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.