Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 27, 2023 5:16 AM
Jul 2023
I've noticed something absolutely bizarre: no-one can mention Monster without hyping it. They either sing the praises of this anime, call it a classic or claim that it has a huge following. Every. Single. Bloody. Time. Furthermore, no-one will ever criticise this anime or any aspect of this anime. 
I highly suspect that Monster's so-called 'fandom' is actually a cult. The cult of Johan. A cult where all members must worship this anime and anyone who dares criticise even one tiny aspect of this anime gets killed.
So why the hell does all this happen? Does Monster really deserve to be worshipped like this to such an extreme degree? Is it really the greatest artistic achievement in the time-space continuum? Can it prevent wars, cure cancer and bring back the dead? No, it can't do those three things, so why are it's 'fans' acting like this?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 27, 2023 5:28 AM
Oct 2022
Ye , it s good but it s really not dat good 👍
Jul 27, 2023 5:36 AM
Apr 2021
Monster is a series about people being people, that alone should explain the praise
Jul 27, 2023 5:36 AM
May 2022
Oluadam said:
I've noticed something absolutely bizarre: no-one can mention Monster without hyping it. They either sing the praises of this anime, call it a classic or claim that it has a huge following. Every. Single. Bloody. Time. Furthermore, no-one will ever criticise this anime or any aspect of this anime. 
I highly suspect that Monster's so-called 'fandom' is actually a cult. The cult of Johan. A cult where all members must worship this anime and anyone who dares criticise even one tiny aspect of this anime gets killed.
So why the hell does all this happen? Does Monster really deserve to be worshipped like this to such an extreme degree? Is it really the greatest artistic achievement in the time-space continuum? Can it prevent wars, cure cancer and bring back the dead? No, it can't do those three things, so why are it's 'fans' acting like this?

I am a Monster fan, a really big one, would i call it overrated? Yes, not in the sense that the anime doesn't deserve its worship, it's a 10/10 in my view but in the sense that i suspect many people don't even understand the anime or actually have a liking to it but rather have a liking to the antagonist presented, i doubt that many people would suck-off Monster and get mad at any criticism in the same way if Johan didn't exist. It's quite frustrating to see a fandom who in fact worships an aspect of the series rather than the series itself and then claiming that Monster as a whole is a masterpiece, and i also have seen people who aren't open to any criticism and would rather send you death-threats or assert that you don't understand the anime, these people are the cesspit of the Monster fandom and i would advise them to realise that absolutely anything has flaws no matter how little they may be and also to be more open-minded. As to wether it deserves such worship this is obviously subjective, but people who only suck off Johan should reflect again on the anime as a whole and then give a honest opinion, because i doubt many have done that
Jul 27, 2023 5:44 AM

Dec 2021
Come back with your main account and then we talk
Jul 27, 2023 6:23 AM
Feb 2022
Rishon007 said:

exactly these guys just chatgpt such threads and waste everyones time
Jul 27, 2023 6:39 AM

Jul 2022
What are you talking about? 

Monster gets criticism for being slow, boring and plenty of people have mentioned that they haven´t finished it due to falling asleep or just because the story progresses slowly. I have also read many people that the plot often doesn´t make sense and some parts are unrealistic. All you have to do is properly read the discussions on both Monster anime and manga. 

Johan is a great antagonist because he is merciless, intelligent, calculative and he doesn´t ask for your forgiveness. He is emotionless, which is a true aspect of psychopathy which often gets misinterpreted in media. 

I was ashamed of myself when I realized life was a costume party, and I attended with my real face. - franz kafka

Jul 27, 2023 6:44 AM
Jun 2021
Oluadam said:

i mean, every medium has a critical darling, i myself consider it the best seinen manga adaption because it kinda is, but as for johan, while he is definitely one of the highlights of the show i feel like im one of the weirdos who genuinely prefers tenma’s character, somehow hes the most underrated character in the show despite him being the main character
Jul 27, 2023 6:59 AM
Apr 2023
Oluadam said:

Are u mad bruh. what nonsense are u taking it's just an anime and why the f**k are you comparing it with real life.
Jul 27, 2023 7:13 AM
May 2021
fuck johann dickriders im gonna be just like tenma!
Jul 27, 2023 7:38 AM
Dec 2022
Oluadam said:

Dude, I don’t get why people can’t just mind their own business and get so mad and hateful about other people loving a series so much. Like, if u don’t like it that much why not just not talk about it?
Jul 27, 2023 7:38 AM
Dec 2022
Rishon007 said:

Ong, they do this shi with code geass too 😭💀
Jul 27, 2023 7:42 AM
Mar 2021
What a stupid post. Just cause someone doesn’t discuss a shows flaws doesn’t mean they are ignoranant to it. And I’ve never seen an example of monster fans being toxic to someone for crictsing the show. Monster is my fav anime of all time, but some episodes can feel a little formulaic in its structure.
Jul 27, 2023 7:44 AM
Mar 2021
togeswords said:

Monster gets criticism for being slow, boring and plenty of people have mentioned that they haven´t finished it due to falling asleep or just because the story progresses slowly. I have also read many people that the plot often doesn´t make sense and some parts are unrealistic. All you have to do is properly read the discussions on both Monster anime and manga. 

Johan is a great antagonist because he is merciless, intelligent, calculative and he doesn´t ask for your forgiveness. He is emotionless, which is a true aspect of psychopathy which often gets misinterpreted in media. 

That’s not why johan is a great villian lol. There’s countless villains who r just emotionless and psychotic. That’s just edgyness. What makes johan interesting is his nanunce and complexity
Jul 27, 2023 8:03 AM
Dec 2015
Its a unique show. There's nothing quite like or similar to Monster. And it remains fresh as it's quite grounded which is far from what most mainstream shows are. (mainstream shows are great too!)
Jul 27, 2023 8:09 AM
Oct 2019
This guy's a troll. He posted the exact same thread but for cowboy bebop yesterday. word for word, different anime.
Jul 27, 2023 8:14 AM
Mar 2022
Mods are so quick to delete actual conversations but will let this fly
Jul 27, 2023 10:01 AM
Jun 2023
Monster is a anime look like west show
Jul 27, 2023 10:36 AM
May 2022
It's a great anime from start to finish but my God is it long. The pacing feels really dragged out sometimes. I left this one on hold for such a long time. You really have to endure all the side plots for it to work. But the worst part about this anime is the ending. You sit 74 episodes and don't even get proper closure
Jul 27, 2023 11:11 AM
Nov 2020
It’s a cult and they’re all playing the rooftop game 😆
Jul 27, 2023 12:05 PM

Feb 2021
Monster is an incredible show (but has its flaws). It is worshiped because it is good enough for most people to overlook the flaws.

The true greatest achievement of humanity is legend of the galactic heroes, which is better than monster in every single way.
Jul 27, 2023 1:29 PM
Jun 2021
Don't waste time answering this, first of all new account and they doesn't even tried to read a single line of reviews.
Jul 27, 2023 1:34 PM

Apr 2020
Oh, wow. 
Same Thread, but different Anime this time?^^
---->https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2108597&msgid=69600267#msg69600267

Main Account of this Troll ->>>>https://myanimelist.net/profile/Saori_Shun

My dude? Can you pleaaaaaaaaase get a Life?
Btw this one will be locked aswell^^ So why even do it?
Merve2LoveJul 27, 2023 1:39 PM
Jul 27, 2023 1:57 PM
Jan 2017
Blatantly untrue. There’s always threads being made criticizing certain aspects of the show. Moist Critikal, a really well known and big YouTuber, said the show is mid. It’s not as universally liked as you may think. The only place it’s pretty much universally liked is in the world of critics and people who actually know what they’re talking about.
Jul 27, 2023 2:01 PM

Jan 2013
wtf you already tried this about Bebop LMAO
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 27, 2023 3:32 PM
Jun 2021
i sigh every time i see posts like this because they have clearly not gone down the rabbit hole of understanding monster to it's fullest. i recommend this youtube video (and probably some others) : https://youtu.be/Mr_DrIIHNeI to understand it a bit more. I mean this video just brilliantly analyses and shows just how deep monster goes. it deserves every bit of praise and more, easily one of the best anime out there and probably the best mystery thiller
Jul 27, 2023 4:27 PM
Jun 2021
it’s not perfect but it was pretty enjoyable
Jul 27, 2023 11:30 PM
Jan 2021
idk bruh I think it's a masterpiece but its obviously not all that, and I've seen plenty of people saying its mid or overhyped and things like that. I think moistcritical said something like this
Jul 28, 2023 12:48 AM
Feb 2021
Better than brotherhood
Jul 28, 2023 1:09 AM
Mar 2020
are you ok buddy? need to take ur meds?
Jul 28, 2023 1:11 AM
Mar 2020
otasune said:
are you ok buddy? need to take ur meds?

ok apparently this guy is a troll who is known for doing this, lmao get a life u loser
Jul 28, 2023 2:43 AM
Oct 2021
Oluadam said:

It’s not that but people who have a balanced opinion of the anime don’t respond to the mal quotes
Jul 28, 2023 3:42 AM
Sep 2022
togeswords said:

lol, due to falling asleep. why is that so funny to think of
Jul 28, 2023 3:42 AM

Dec 2020
it is one of the worst anime of all time and this cult you reference is one of the reasons people cannot see the numerous flaws the show is riddled with
Jul 28, 2023 5:55 PM
Feb 2019
itzswxzy said:
Rishon007 said:

Ok but Code Geass is actually the most overrated anime ever
Jul 28, 2023 7:37 PM
Apr 2021
I think it deserves the praise. It’s so close to one of the most realestic animes I feel one could ever watch. I think that alone is enough.
Jul 28, 2023 9:02 PM
Dec 2022
ZeemoXD said:
itzswxzy said:

No its the best anime ever and u never even tried it so how would yk
Jul 28, 2023 9:03 PM
Dec 2022
ZeemoXD said:
itzswxzy said:

Talk about overrated with shi like midland and shit piece as yo favs 😭😂
Jul 28, 2023 9:12 PM
Oct 2017
fenris_demiurgos said:
Ye , it s good but it s really not dat good 👍

bruh ur fav anime are op and mha lmao even one of em as ur fav invalidates every of your opinion
Jul 28, 2023 11:05 PM
Jan 2021
Monster is by far the best anime I've seen. And I've seen About 615 Anime series, Movies, OVAs Combined.
Jul 28, 2023 11:23 PM
Oct 2022
I'll spare you of the criticism others have been treating you with and just tell you short and simple that your opinion is mostly false
Every single thing in existence is hated by at least one individual. They might not be vocal about it but it doesnt mean they dont exist. I personally am not the greatest fan of it particularly because of its lengthy development and dissapointing ending. Long story short Monster is not an exception to hate. Many people hate it
Jul 29, 2023 12:53 AM
Jul 2023
right after ign rated it the best anime of all time is the very first time I ever heard anyone talk about it. butbas soon as they did they jumped on the bandwagon. it wasn't on streaming services then so I went on ebay and dropped $155 off the region 2 UK import. while it really hooked me in the first few episodes and while the plot and characters are great the story is drawn out far longer than it needs to be and I personally found most of it to be pretty boring. I only gave it a 6/10 due to having a hard time keeping interest through the whole thing. wasted potential imo. now if they condensed it into 25 ish episodes I think it would be phenomenal.
Jul 29, 2023 2:52 AM
Feb 2019
itzswxzy said:
ZeemoXD said:

Talk about overrated with shi like midland and shit piece as yo favs 😭😂

Did you even watch them? 💀Cuz i sure did with shit geass
Jul 29, 2023 10:11 AM
Apr 2020
Urasawa es el rey indiscutido de lo que hace. Johan es el mejor psicópata escrito y descrito, hasta siendo detestable es ENCANTADOR. Gracias siempre Urasawa
Jul 29, 2023 8:05 PM

Aug 2020
Merve2Love said:
Oh, wow. 
Same Thread, but different Anime this time?^^
---->https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2108597&msgid=69600267#msg69600267

Main Account of this Troll ->>>>https://myanimelist.net/profile/Saori_Shun

My dude? Can you pleaaaaaaaaase get a Life?
Btw this one will be locked aswell^^ So why even do it?
yeah @KayKimii i think you should come here.
Jul 30, 2023 2:26 AM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread locked for breaking the Anime Discussion Guidelines:
2. Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:
[...]
g. categorizing generalized opinions as popular/unpopular
e.g. Why does everyone like/hate ___, Why is studio ___ so hated, Post your unpopular opinion about ___, etc.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

160 by Finn086 »»
Today, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

204 by Finn086 »»
Today, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

139 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jun 1, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

95 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jun 1, 5:00 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 56 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

104 by AdomaniaP »»
Jun 1, 7:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.