Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 26, 2023 8:06 AM

Aug 2018
I've noticed something absolutely bizarre: no-one can mention Cowboy Bebip without hyping it. They either sing the praises of this anime, call it a classic or claim that it has a huge following. Every. Single. Bloody. Time.
Furthermore, no-one will ever criticise this anime or any aspect of this anime. In fact, I once stumbled across an article listing both overrated and underrated anime, and my jaw practically fell to the floor when the article called Cowboy Bebop 'underrated'. What the hell? Isn't that like calling the Star Wars franchise underrated?
I highly suspect that Cowboy Bebip's so-called 'fandom' is actually a cult. The cult of Bebop. A cult where all members must worship this anime and anyone who dares criticise even one tiny aspect of this anime gets flayed alive.
So why the hell does all this happen? Does Cowboy Bebop really deserve to be worshipped like this to such an extreme degree? Is it really the greatest artistic achievement in the time-space continuum? Can it prevent wars, cure cancer and bring back the dead? No, it can't do those three things, so why are it's 'fans' acting like this?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 26, 2023 8:15 AM
Oct 2019
People enjoy the anime, so they praise it. That's all. It's not that deep.
Jul 26, 2023 8:18 AM
Jan 2021
the songs are banger no matter what show is debatable i guess
Jul 26, 2023 8:22 AM
Feb 2015
its popular and good. if you cant find criticisms of it you arent looking very hard. most people arent huge fans of *just* anime, so if its one of the five anime theyve seen and liked of course theyll bring it up when anime is the topic of conversation
Jul 26, 2023 8:22 AM
Jul 2021
It’s an instant classic. If you can’t understand that then you’re too young. Just like how people love to praise the Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield Spider-Man movies. Just like how people love to praise Akira. They’re instant classics. They’re also timeless. You get the point, I am trying to convey.
Jul 26, 2023 8:23 AM

Mar 2020
Saori_Shun said:
I've noticed something absolutely bizarre: no-one can mention Cowboy Bebip without hyping it. They either sing the praises of this anime, call it a classic or claim that it has a huge following. Every. Single. Bloody. Time.
Furthermore, no-one will ever criticise this anime or any aspect of this anime. In fact, I once stumbled across an article listing both overrated and underrated anime, and my jaw practically fell to the floor when the article called Cowboy Bebop 'underrated'. What the hell? Isn't that like calling the Star Wars franchise underrated?
I highly suspect that Cowboy Bebip's so-called 'fandom' is actually a cult. The cult of Bebop. A cult where all members must worship this anime and anyone who dares criticise even one tiny aspect of this anime gets flayed alive.
So why the hell does all this happen? Does Cowboy Bebop really deserve to be worshipped like this to such an extreme degree? Is it really the greatest artistic achievement in the time-space continuum? Can it prevent wars, cure cancer and bring back the dead? No, it can't do those three things, so why are it's 'fans' acting like this?

If those are the requirements for a "10" anime, then I'm pretty sure none deserves to be called masterpiece. People say it's good because they actually enjoy it, I'm one of those that had a nice time watching through it. Does it have haters? Yes lol, you can pretty much see that it has less than 5 scorings. And I'm fairly sure that there are also negative reviews.

Why do Madoka Magica fans says it's "good"? Is it a cult? Does no one have the right to say it's bad? Same questions, different show. Just enjoy the stuff that you like and (personal experience) ignore fandoms.

Edit: btw, not to be rude, but you should watch or at least try something before stating an opinion on it. Blinding saying that "it doesn't deserve praise" it's not very clever.
BetterBegoneThotJul 26, 2023 8:26 AM

Only you can save yourself.
I only know what I know, I guess?
Yuri enjoyer and El Cazador de la Bruja fan
Jul 26, 2023 8:23 AM

Apr 2020
It's an all time classic, legendary Anime. 
You call it hype, most of the Community calls it awesome.
You didn't even explain why the Show isn't as great as people say, in your opinion. You're just ranting about what someone said, somewhere.... So what? Nobody cares.

Your only critique of the Show is basically: "I hate people loving this so much!"
Grow up, please. Let the people like what the like and keep out of it^^
Merve2LoveJul 26, 2023 8:31 AM
Jul 26, 2023 8:30 AM

Jan 2013
Well, it's a great anime, with a stellar dub, and it aired on "Adult Swim" way back in 2001, so it's obvious to see why it reached cult status.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 26, 2023 8:30 AM
May 2011
Weird, because the most recent thread on this forum was complaining about the show's episodic nature and "lack of plot". The creator of that thread has, oddly, deleted their posts, but that is a common criticism of the show. 
Jul 26, 2023 8:32 AM
Jul 2023
Well, I hope you picked your jaw from the floor.  Why are you so salty  about an anime you haven't even watched anyway?
Jul 26, 2023 8:36 AM
Feb 2016
because despite what the mal ratings say it's the only anime that deserves an 11.
Jul 26, 2023 8:41 AM

Jun 2016
Because it's good.
Saori_Shun said:
Furthermore, no-one will ever criticise this anime or any aspect of this anime.

That's not true from what I've noticed although 90% of the criticism seems to center around the series' structure and nothing else.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 26, 2023 8:48 AM
Jul 2018
All three Shinichiro Watanabe anime (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo & Space☆Dandy) kind of follow the same formula. There are around five episodes that are out of this world; easily some of the best stories ever told, then there are around 15 episodes that range from okay to really good, and the rest has so much of his sense of humor ingrained that they just come off as obnoxious.

I think people are thinking of those few episodes that deeply resonated with them and left a lasting impact when they call these shows classics, which is perfectly true. I just wish people would acknowledge that a few episodes can be fairly obnoxious to someone who doesn't share Watanabe's sense of humor.
Jul 26, 2023 8:50 AM
Mar 2021
cause it's one of the greats from its time and still a great fucking anime
Jul 26, 2023 8:53 AM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread locked for breaking the Anime Discussion Guidelines:
2. Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:
[...]
g. categorizing generalized opinions as popular/unpopular
e.g. Why does everyone like/hate ___, Why is studio ___ so hated, Post your unpopular opinion about ___, etc.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Metty - May 14, 2008

626 by Mirrow »»
May 14, 11:44 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

123 by Shobbrook »»
May 8, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 13, 2008

207 by Shobbrook »»
May 8, 1:11 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

FighterZ - May 2, 2008

133 by ItachiSanStatus »»
Apr 29, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KillthisAccount - Jul 23, 2009

132 by RioFS »»
Apr 26, 9:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.