Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 9, 2023 7:37 AM
Jun 2016
It was a very slow start and both of the main characters never really got any screen time together and when they did the movie was half way done and it wasn't much of it.

Their relationship had no build up because too much of it was just filler or her friend and other guy and they had couple of time skips .

I really don't know why this is rated so high? Is it because it was made by studio ghibi?
5/10
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 9, 2023 7:54 AM
May 2021
then don't watch them duh, Ghibli films are not known for their romance, but because of their cozy settings. If it's not for you, just skip them
Jul 9, 2023 8:42 AM

May 2010
It's one of my favourite Ghibli films out of the ones I've seen, perhaps in part because I like to write like the protagonist does. But if it's not your thing, then it's not your thing.
Jul 9, 2023 8:53 AM

Apr 2016
YukiPwns00 said:
It's one of my favourite Ghibli films out of the ones I've seen, perhaps in part because I like to write like the protagonist does. But if it's not your thing, then it's not your thing.

It's my favourite, but maybe you can understand the fantasy in the real world as just an artist can feel it.
Jul 9, 2023 8:55 AM
Jun 2016
YukiSohma_2004 said:
then don't watch them duh, Ghibli films are not known for their romance, but because of their cozy settings. If it's not for you, just skip them

How would I know if I would like it or not if I don't give it a shot? It's a personal opinion, the story was half filler. If you don't like my post don't read it, duh.
Jul 9, 2023 8:56 AM
Jun 2016
Kallka said:
Pretty much all of Ghibli movies are overrated, duh.
I wouldn't know, I don't think I watched any of their movies besides this one. The story was flat
Jul 9, 2023 9:11 AM
Dec 2021
Agreed
Not worth watching as romantic movie
Even Fireworks is better romantic movie than it.
It was really boring at every point .I liked the animation and soundtrack (ghibli studio has done really good job)but how is it romance movie? Both main character were rarely on screen together.
The plot was fine and ending was below average.
Jul 9, 2023 9:55 AM
Sep 2019
idk, I feel like this one is forgotten a lot when taking about Ghibli, and it's absolutely one of my favorites. imo, the romance is a side story, it's just about coming of age, dreams, being realistic about goals. I thought the ending scene was the most out of character part of the movie, but I guess it also fits with the over dramatics of young love
Jul 9, 2023 10:10 AM
Dec 2022
Not agreed. It's one of my favorite Ghibli film. But I get it, people usually don't like sol drama over something different on screen. The story to me is fine enough enjoying it.
Jul 9, 2023 10:21 AM
Dec 2022
Kallka said:
Pretty much all of Ghibli movies are overrated, duh.

I'm sure people actually enjoy it^^)
Jul 9, 2023 10:25 AM
Dec 2022
Kallka said:
Cosmicon said:

I'm sure people actually enjoy it^^)

Overrated does not mean people can't enjoy it. Your point is irrelevant.

My point is, vast amount of people enjoy it so naturally they rate pretty high. I think you get it.
Jul 9, 2023 10:36 AM
Nov 2015
Nah this movie was cute. Have your opinion, though.
Jul 9, 2023 10:54 AM
Feb 2022
xONLYINHUMANx said:
It was a very slow start and both of the main characters never really got any screen time together and when they did the movie was half way done and it wasn't much of it.

Their relationship had no build up because too much of it was just filler or her friend and other guy and they had couple of time skips .

I really don't know why this is rated so high? Is it because it was made by studio ghibi?
5/10

nah, its rated high because many like this movie, just because you don't like anime does not mean that others dislike it, maybe your taste sucks are i am incapable of understanding your opinion
Jul 9, 2023 1:29 PM
Mar 2020
Funny because it was generally unknown a few years ago. Social media is oversaturated with Ghibli movies right now, but that doesn’t necessarily make them bad. It’s just a trend. It might also just not be for you and that’s fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 9, 2023 3:22 PM
Jun 2022
xONLYINHUMANx said:

5/10

This is a movie i feel will not resonate with everyone and that's fine. I came into this movie only for the expectation of generic romance but it showed me the protagonists ambitions and the setting just related to me on a whole different level. I felt like I had gone through the exact same struggles as the mc and that was a big suprise for me. The classic animation will always put it at a big advantage from other romance animes though so it's hard to beat
Jul 9, 2023 5:01 PM
Mar 2022
Bro, you ask “why it was rated so high” and people answered “because many people liked it”
And your answer was always “your points is irrelevant”, just because they answer you? If you hate people aswering the question that you yourself asked so much then don't fkin ask it in the first place, get your head out of your ass man.
A-lil-weeb-dogJul 10, 2023 2:23 AM
Jul 9, 2023 8:38 PM
Feb 2019
You probably didn’t understand the movie. When you realize the true meaning, you will see that this movie is a masterpiece.
Jul 9, 2023 8:39 PM
May 2022
tbh I don't rank this movie high when it comes to rating it, but it's one of my favorite Ghibli movies. It's just a cozy vibe that I can lay back and enjoy
Jul 10, 2023 10:53 AM
May 2021
xONLYINHUMANx said:

5/10

This might be the oddest and doubly worst take I have ever read regarding a studio ghibli film. No disrespect, seriously. Respectfully you missed the actual point of the entire film. Of course you are entitled to your feelings, but the relationship between the main couple is NOT the main point of the film at all. The point of the film is her coming to believe in her (writing) abilities and the romance compliments that; it is not the focus. So yes if you base it just on the side romance story it’s a 5/10… if the movie was a romance…which it isn’t…. but if you realize that and STILL don’t like it then I have no issue cause then you understand it, but it’s not your cup-of-tea.
Jul 10, 2023 11:00 AM
Jul 2023
jben646 said:
xONLYINHUMANx said:

Their relationship had no build up because too much of it was just filler or her friend and other guy and they  had couple of time skips .

5/10

This might be the oddest and doubly worst take I have ever read regarding a studio ghibli film. No disrespect, seriously. Respectfully you missed the actual point of the entire film. Of course you are entitled to your feelings, but the relationship between the main couple is NOT the main point of the film at all. The point of the film is her coming to believe in her (writing) abilities and the romance compliments that; it is not the focus. So yes if you base it just on the side romance story it’s a 5/10… if the movie was a romance…which it isn’t…. but if you realize that and STILL don’t like it then I have no issue cause then you understand it, but it’s not your cup-of-tea.

The movie is tagged romance though.
Jul 10, 2023 11:15 AM
May 2021
SDdar said:
jben646 said:

The movie is tagged romance though.

Yeah i find it odd that people tag it like that because it’s misleading and gets people’s hopes up. But other movies like Castle in the Sky which again, has romance in it, but isnt a romance, is also tagged as one.
Jul 12, 2023 12:30 AM
Apr 2022
i kind of have to agree.... there are just way better ghibli films for this one to be hyped so much. i was extremely disappointed because of how much i've heard people say they enjoyed it or even claim it was their favorite :/
Jul 13, 2023 9:43 PM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread locked

You may use this thread if you want to talk about overrated/underrated anime.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mimi wo Sumaseba Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Beatnik - Jul 9, 2008

159 by Cosplay_Joe »»
Mar 23, 7:14 PM

» Dub Discussion

JTurner - May 2, 2009

12 by jamsndu84 »»
Jul 29, 2022 4:11 AM

» Where tf did yall watch this

doodlenoodle613 - Jun 12, 2021

20 by MrFanatic »»
May 13, 2022 7:11 PM

» Giving proper kudos to Yoshifumi Kondo

T-Wazoo - Dec 3, 2021

1 by iDenisade »»
Dec 3, 2021 9:25 PM

» OMG

Cloudrayne - May 31, 2007

41 by MoustacheDino »»
Jun 18, 2021 10:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.