Forum Settings
Forums

'Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf' Reveals Main Staff, Cast, 2024 Premiere

New
Jun 29, 2023 6:58 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
An official website for the new Ookami to Koushinryou (Spice & Wolf) television anime remake opened on Thursday and revealed the main cast, staff, concept visual (pictured), and the first promotional video. The anime is scheduled to premiere in 2024.

Jun Fukuyama (Ansatsu Kyoushitsu) and Ami Koshimizu (Kill la Kill) are reprising their roles from the original series as Lawrence Kraft and Holo, respectively.

Staff
Chief Director: Takeo Takahashi (Ookami to Koushinryou, Citrus)
Director: Hijiri Sanpei (Joshikousei no Mudazukai, Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu!)
Music: Kevin Penkin (Made in Abyss, Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari)
Producer: Enishiya
Studio: Passione

The series adapts Isuna Hasekura's fantasy romance light novel which was originally submitted at the Dengeki Novel Prize in 2005 and won the Silver Prize. Media Works (later ASCII Media Works, now Kadokawa) began publishing the series through its Dengeki Bunko label in February 2006, featuring illustrations by Juu Ayakura. Kadokawa shipped the 24th volume on January 7.

Hasekura launched the spin-off light novel Shinsetsu Ookami to Koushinryou: Ookami to Youhishi (Wolf & Parchment: New Theory Spice & Wolf) in September 2016. The eighth volume shipped in August last year, with the ninth volume scheduled to release on July 7.

The first television anime by animation studio Imagin premiered in 13 episodes in Winter 2008, followed by an original video anime the following April. Brain's Base and Marvy Jack produced a second anime season in Summer 2009.

PV

Official site: https://spice-and-wolf.com/

Source: Comic Natalie
DatRandomDudeJun 29, 2023 7:49 AM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jun 29, 2023 7:04 AM

May 2020
I would've fancied a season 3 to be honest instead of a full-fledged remake, as whatever we had was already top-notch. Also it's Passione so...

... they better not start throwing some random fanservice shots just because they feel like lol. Need to suppress that DNA.

Also great they retained the original VA's. I mean they're still very much active, so it makes sense anyways, but still good. Though anyways just hyped.
Jun 29, 2023 7:08 AM

Nov 2021
Good staff. Its gonna be peak, I just hope the adaptation stays faithful to the source material. 
Jun 29, 2023 7:08 AM

Sep 2020
The trailer looks amazing but I am still little bit scared, Passione is known for there borderline hentai anime and they might oversexualized Holo which I don't want to see.
Jun 29, 2023 7:17 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Softhenic03 said:
I would've fancied a season 3 to be honest instead of a full-fledged remake, as whatever we had was already top-notch. Also it's Passione so...

... they better not start throwing some random fanservice shots just because they feel like lol. Need to suppress that DNA.

Also great they retained the original VA's. I mean they're still very much active, so it makes sense anyways, but still good. Though anyways just hyped.
ZXEAN said:
The trailer looks amazing but I am still little bit scared, Passione is known for there borderline hentai anime and they might oversexualized Holo which I don't want to see.
tbf the director of the original anime series is here as chief director so it shouldn't be too bad and out of control when it comes to fanservice lol
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jun 29, 2023 7:29 AM

Jul 2015
Two main leads have their roles reprised which is a total win. I would also want composer to remain the same, but Kevin is also a win.
Anyways, let's rehear this joyful ED;

Jun 29, 2023 7:33 AM

Sep 2020
DatRandomDude said:
Softhenic03 said:

ZXEAN said:
tbf the director of the original anime series is here as chief director so it shouldn't be too bad and out of control when it comes to fanservice lol
That guy have directed lots of hentai and now he is working for Passione. I can't trust him either. The only thing we can do right now is wait.
Jun 29, 2023 7:38 AM

Mar 2014
Never thought I see this again, remake huh !? I prefer season 3 though
Jun 29, 2023 8:07 AM

Oct 2017
Really glad Ami Koshimizu will be there to voice Holo again.
Jun 29, 2023 8:19 AM

Jul 2021
Holo's character design is definitely more faithful(?) to the LN, I guess it would've been better if it's more polish if anything. Still excited regardless, definitely my favorite part of this series is the adventure and character dynamics, I'm glad the VA stayed the same + Kevin Penkin is quite a match made in heaven. 
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jun 29, 2023 8:24 AM

Feb 2022
"Jun Fukuyama (Ansatsu Kyoushitsu) and Ami Koshimizu (Kill la Kill) are reprising their roles from the original series as Lawrence Kraft and Holo, respectively."

This makes me very happy
Jun 29, 2023 8:41 AM

Nov 2011
ZXEAN said:

Great news!
I, for one, welcome as much sexualization and fanservice as they could possibly add.
Jun 29, 2023 8:45 AM

Sep 2020
danann said:
ZXEAN said:

Great news!
I, for one, welcome as much sexualization and fanservice as they could possibly add.
Avarage Monogatari fan.
Jun 29, 2023 9:16 AM

Mar 2012
I checked the LN page and looks like it's still ongoing so why the remake? Was the previous adaptation not faithful to the source material? I've heard lots of good things about it so I've been wanting to watch this for a long time now.
Jun 29, 2023 9:23 AM

Dec 2022
Maou_heika said:
I checked the LN page and looks like it's still ongoing so why the remake? Was the previous adaptation not faithful to the source material? I've heard lots of good things about it so I've been wanting to watch this for a long time now.
Old adaptation diverged quite a lot on the second season to the point of skipping a whole volume and lefting out one particular character that would be really important later on.
sowtteJun 29, 2023 9:26 AM
Jun 29, 2023 9:31 AM

May 2015
I guess I should be happy with this remake even though the CGI looks bad and cheap in same scenes in the trailer. It is hard to imagine this adaptation will make me again as obsessed with the story and its characters as the original anime did. On the other hand it makes it possible that the other novels of the LN series be adapted and that is a good thing in itself. Who knows maybe we will get to see the adaptation of its spin-off as well in the future.
IshitatesoJun 29, 2023 9:36 AM
Jun 29, 2023 9:45 AM

May 2021
ZXEAN said:
If you are such a huge puritan that you can't handle a little fanservice then don't watch it . Nobody pointed a gun in your head to watch it . 

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jun 29, 2023 9:50 AM

May 2021

Ishitateso said:
I guess I should be happy with this remake even though the CGI looks bad and cheap in same scenes in the trailer. It is hard to imagine this adaptation will make me again as obsessed with the story and its characters as the original anime did. On the other hand it makes it possible that the other novels of the LN series be adapted and that is a good thing in itself. Who knows maybe we will get to see the adaptation of its spin-off as well in the future.
Omg you people started already complaining about the CGI ,stop having unrealistic expectations from a simple romance anime . No everything needs to have Fate's level of CGI quality 

Jun 29, 2023 10:06 AM

Sep 2020
Yubisoft said:
ZXEAN said:
If you are such a huge puritan that you can't handle a little fanservice then don't watch it . Nobody pointed a gun in your head to watch it . 
Why are you getting triggered ? I don't think I have said anything offensive lol. I just want to experience a wholesome light hearted romance without unwanted fanservice that's all.

And yes if I don't like it I will definitely drop it. No need to worry 😉
Jun 29, 2023 10:16 AM

May 2021
ZXEAN said:
Yubisoft said:
Why are you getting triggered ? I don't think I have said anything offensive lol. I just want to experience a wholesome light hearted romance without unwanted fanservice that's all.

Why I should be triggered ? Your comment does neither affect me(because I am gonna still watch it) nor the studio . I just don't understand why some people assume things about a studio for example : oversexualizing anime . The  anime you are thinking about had already oversexualized source material (which is not a bad thing). A studio won't do anything if the author and publisher won't agree , food for thought right there.  Also the first thing you notice is the studio name ? Are you not happy that this gets a remake ?

Jun 29, 2023 10:22 AM

Sep 2020
Yubisoft said:
ZXEAN said:

Why I should be triggered ? Your comment does neither affect me(because I am gonna still watch it) nor the studio . I just don't understand why some people assume things about a studio for example : oversexualizing anime . The  anime you are thinking about had already oversexualized source material (which is not a bad thing). A studio won't do anything if the author and publisher won't agree , food for thought right there.  Also the first thing you notice is the studio name ? Are you not happy that this gets a remake ?
I am happy that it's getting remake although doesn't like the studio choice.

Anyway I want them to supprise me and prove me wrong.
Jun 29, 2023 10:39 AM

Feb 2014
I'm so happy, I feel like crying. Having the original cast return is just enough for me!
Jun 29, 2023 12:31 PM

Jul 2020
HOLO IS BACK! HOLO IS SAVING THE WORLD! WE MUST FIGHT TO PROTECT AND DEFEND HOLO FROM THOSE WHO SEEK TO MAKE SPICE AND WOLF FAIL!
THE POWER OF HOLO IS WITH US AND THE POWER IS WITHIN HOLO, WHICH MEANS THAT WE WILL BE VICTORIOUS!
Jun 29, 2023 1:03 PM

Feb 2017
This looks so good! I love the studio I can't wait to watch it!!!
Jun 29, 2023 8:07 PM

Apr 2012
Passione? How ecchi do they want to do it?
RobertBobertJun 29, 2023 8:11 PM
Jun 29, 2023 8:17 PM

May 2015
I haven't paid attention to the studio until rereading your replies to the news and it now kinda makes me worried. Not because of the ecchi per se (though not a fan, I won't mind it if it is not immature) but because of the sub par quality anime they have delivered until now. The average rating I have given the anime they have made in the past is below 4... and that is a lot more worrying than the CGI I mentioned above.

Anyway, just like @ZXEAN said, I want them to supprise me and prove me wrong. And if they won't there is still the old adaptation to be rewatched.
IshitatesoJun 29, 2023 8:37 PM
Jun 29, 2023 11:56 PM

Jul 2010
Okaeri nasai, Holo *_______________*

The idea of returning old voices causes endless respect *_*
May be some anime?
Jun 30, 2023 12:03 AM

Apr 2013
The publisher is really bent on milking this series huh... I'm not going to say no to more S&W, but I don't think the first season adaptation was a bad adaptation, so there's tons of dengeki bunko adaptations out there that deserved a remake more than this one. Obviously it won't bring as much money as this one heh.
Softhenic03 said:

They've also done Rokka no Yuusha, which had zero fanservice scenes and is still one of the most faithful LN adaptation in anime we've had so far, so that's that. They do use CGI quite regularly AFAIK though, which may not please everyone.
ZefyrisJun 30, 2023 12:08 AM
Jun 30, 2023 12:14 AM

May 2020
Zefyris said:
The publisher is really bent on milking this series huh... I'm not going to say no to more S&W, but I don't think the first season adaptation was a bad adaptation, so there's tons of dengeki bunko adaptations out there that deserved a remake more than this one. Obviously it won't bring as much money as this one heh.
Softhenic03 said:

They've also done Rokka no Yuusha, which had zero fanservice scenes and is still one of the most faithful LN adaptation in anime we've had so far, so that's that. They do use CGI quite regularly AFAIK though, which may not please everyone.
If they do it the way they did Rokka no Yuusha, then this being one of the best things next year is already set in stone.
Jun 30, 2023 12:26 AM

Apr 2013
Oooooh, it's a remake... not sure if I'll watch it then, we'll see.
Jun 30, 2023 6:06 AM

Jul 2014
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!! I can't wait!!
Jun 30, 2023 7:12 AM
May 2019
Softhenic03 said:

You do know that the writer and director that went on to form Passione did the first two seasons of Spice and Wolf correct?
Jun 30, 2023 7:25 AM

Feb 2013
Chills. I also had a feeling this announcement was close since it felt like Ami-san was warming up for Holo with Kilmaria. Particularly in her Maria form.
At first I thought they actually looked closer to Ayakura's design but now I'm thinking it looks more like Koume's style. I'm good either way.
As one who still adored the first adaptation, they have to stick closer to the source this time though. They skipped too much the first time around. Don't let me down, Passione. #JusticeForCole
NTADJun 30, 2023 7:33 AM
Jun 30, 2023 9:57 AM

Oct 2018
Studio Passione makes sense since the OG director is one of the studio's founding members. Why shouldn't he direct the show at his own studio? It's even goes as far as them being on the production comitee. Meaning that this is basically a passion (pun intended) project for the director and studio. So I wouldn't worry too much that this is some cheap cash grab. Mind you, it can still turn out bad, but that's another topic. 
Jun 30, 2023 10:19 PM

May 2013
Normally i wouldnt care about anime getting bastardized by CGI as trailer had questionable quality and their other works also dont really paint a pretty future...
It was a bit jarring for me to watch the trailer especially the field full of static generic posed villagers that got copy pasted all over the place and those horse animations gave me Berserk 2016 PTSD

But this one is rather special to me, so im not sure if im even ready for this as my expectations are pretty high

Core members are there i just hope they will have good funding and spend it wisely and that the rest of the team are capable as this is not their first anime already

Like it wont be as bad as Berserk 2016 or Kamikatsu CGI and i dont expect Fate levels of funding and quality but i really hope its on the higher end of that spectrum and not some generic middle of the road quality that smaller studios are stuck with due to lack of funding or just forced to being rushed

Because if i was the OG director that was responsible for the original adaptation, that was part of the team that started this studio and messed this project up with the people he was partially responsible hiring i wouldnt be able to sleep and it would haunt me for sure
Jul 1, 2023 5:57 PM
Mar 2013
A remake? Seriously? Why? The earlier adaptations were pretty good, and in fact hallmarks of how adaptations of such literature should be done. It was not perfect, and not 100% of the content was adapted, but isn't that the whole point of adaptations? Anyway, a remake is not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think Spice and Wolf needed it. There were some deviations from the novels, but I don't think they were so bad that they couldn't just continue from S02. It's quite disappointing. Hopefully though we still get a good show with plenty of cours
Aug 4, 2023 9:04 PM
Jan 2021
Yay, an anime to look forward too!

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Tamon-kun Ima Docchi!?' Gets TV Anime

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

9 by _MushiRock11_ »»
25 minutes ago

» 'Spy x Family' Gets Third Anime Season

Vindstot - Jun 9

35 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
2 hours ago

» Animation Studio Gainax Declares Bankruptcy

Vindstot - Jun 9

30 by Playcool »»
9 hours ago

» 'Na Nare Hana Nare' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

Nioxys - Today

3 by Hoppy »»
9 hours ago

» 'Mob kara Hajimaru Tansaku Eiyuutan' Reveals Additional Cast

Nioxys - Yesterday

2 by bastek66 »»
Today, 6:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.