Another (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 24, 2023 1:16 AM

Oct 2011
How exactly does the curse work?
Who gets chosen to be the extra?
Are the extras wholly physical?

These last questions are speculation. Could they bear or conceive children? Would the children be affected by their strange origins?

I watched the show twice, but I'd like some outside perspective on this.
Jun 24, 2023 1:36 AM

Jul 2015
It's been a while since I've watched it, but I guess curse kicking in is completely random, because their countermeasures were proven ineffective. Extra person is not a real person and seem to be someone completely random.
The rest is Final Destination copycat, but calamity can also affect third parties like relatives, not just class members.

Jun 24, 2023 2:37 AM
Sleepy

Feb 2023
I’ve always thought of it as something like, “there needs to be room for the extra and if there isn’t, someone’ll die” or something like that. I’m pretty sure that’s what it’s supposed to be.
7_3Jun 24, 2023 3:14 AM
Jun 24, 2023 3:34 AM
Mar 2022
The phenomenon was pointless and how does that even work. how and who gets to decide the extra person?
And the countermeasures that were taken were ineffective so whats the point of ignoring someone like they're dead
And in the end the extra person was actually dead 💀 , and Misaki knew it all along and yet she let people die.
No doubt the anime was great , all the goth vibe that Misaki gave I liked it , but they overdid the plot - the phenomenon and extra person already dead thing.
Jun 24, 2023 5:14 AM
Jun 2023
ZuriiXD said:
The phenomenon was pointless and how does that even work. how and who gets to decide the extra person?
And the countermeasures that were taken were ineffective so whats the point of ignoring someone like they're dead
And in the end the extra person was actually dead 💀 , and Misaki knew it all along and yet she let people die.
No doubt the anime was great , all the goth vibe that Misaki gave I liked it , but they overdid the plot - the phenomenon and extra person already dead thing.

Yeah the plot left many holes in it but still I like the anime
Jun 24, 2023 9:35 AM

Feb 2021
Aroukar said:

These last questions are speculation. Could they bear or conceive children? Would the children be affected by their strange origins?

The curse was activated by the death of the original Misaki (not our main character). I think she was seen by someone, even after she was dead. The curse works just like that. A dead person becomes a part of the class, and since people "see" that person as real, the curse starts to eliminate people to make more space. It doesn't really make sense, since extra space would be created by killing just one person, but plot needs to exist so yeah.

Extra is whomever was once part of the same class. It's not confirmed that it has to be a dead student to become a part of the curse, but since we only see dead students come back as extras, we can assume that as the truth.

That..is a good question. I don't remember the show ever establishing whether the extra was a physical entity or not. The way the curse works makes that person seems like a ghost. Everyone can still see it, but they may/may not be able to touch it. Although Kouichi does make Reiko experience a head-on collision with an axe, so maybe they are physical.

If they are physical entities, then they must be capable of conceiving children. Kouichi himself his a spawn of a dead class member, though his mother died as a relative, not as a student. If Ritsuko were to return as extra, you could say that a dead student had a kid, though that wouldn't make sense lol.
Jun 24, 2023 9:38 AM

Feb 2021
ZuriiXD said:

The curse itself decides the extra person. It can be any student of that class who had previously died.
The reason that the countermeasure didn't work was because the extra this time was a teacher, not a student.
Of course the extra was already a dead person, that's how the curse works lol. But yeah, no idea why Misaki kept that from everyone else.

And yes, Misaki's goth vibes are surely to die for.
Jun 24, 2023 1:31 PM
The Extra

Feb 2021
Aroukar said:

The extra isn't necessarily "chosen" per se but rather a resurrection of a person directly related to the class that had previously died, once they come back, everyone's memories in the class are altered to belive that they were always there, they attempt to counteract it by pretending as if one person didn't exist which in the show is stated to have a 50/50 chance of success. I belive the person is wholly physical as people are shown to interact with and touch the extra multiple times throughout the anime, manga, and light novel. Once the calamity ends, be it by the extra dying or the year ending, that person is then wiped from existence, their memory of them included, save for the people that were directly related to them in some way before their passing.
Jun 25, 2023 3:16 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
@Aroukar
As someone who has watched the anime several times, who has read the novel, and read the manga, I will explain this as well as I can...

The curse started after a classmate named Misaki Yomiyama in 1972 died in a house fire with his family. His classmates, shocked and saddened by his death, refused to accept his death and, one day, a student annouced that Misaki wasn't dead and he was at his desk. The entire class refused to accept his death and everyone, including the teacher, acted like he was still alive, even brining an extra desk to the graduation for Misaki. And Misaki, in the graduation photo, was there. This caused death to begin to latch onto the class as the class itself invited death into it after they allowed Misaki to stay at his desk even after he died. Wandering spirits latched onto this class as another brief chance at life. As this was unnatural and by inviting death into the class, those connected to the class began to die. Most of the students, by 1998, thought of Misaki as an urban legend and most assumed Misaki had been a girl who had died in a plane crash.

Why certain people were chosen is unsure, however, Ritsuko Sakaibara, Kouchi's mother's, was in the same class as Misaki back when they died and, after Ritsuko died due to her younger sister being in the class, Ritsuko's younger sister also joined the class as an "extra". Most of the "extras" are all those who used to be in the class as well in some form or another. My guess is that is the whole reason why they came back to that class; they likely did not know they were dead and simply continued to go to school like always. But since the class was close to death, people began to die or go mad when connected to the class. After all, everyone who has ever been an "extra" has been a part of the class. The Librarian was the teacher back in the class of 72 that first invited death.

Now, as to whether they can have children or not... I'm guessing not as once the class has graduated, then the missing person is gone. Many ghosts die having some regret of some kind and my guess is that the students regretted not being able to graduate and once they have... They leave for good.

And for those who think that Misaki killed a bunch of people by not telling them that the teacher was dead the whole time... The whole point is she didn't know and that's why she had asked who was dead on her desk. The point of the names of the "extra" getting erased is the university trying to fix what is unnatural by, once the dead have left, erasing the traces of them and fixing what was once "broken". Misaki can see death on others die to her almost dying as a child and having to have her eye removed, thus death clung to her eye. She didn't know that you had to kill the dead once again to free everyone from the curse or that the curse had already started back when her twin sister died well before school started. Had she known... She most certainly would have killed the teacher as she had no problem whatsoever in doing so at the end. But she didn't know the calamity had already begun that year and didn't want to accept the fact that that calamity, and her own involvement with class 3-3, was what caused her sister to die.

If there is any other questions, feel free to ask me as I have watched the show many times and read all other materials for it. And Final Destination and Another are two very different stories about death; those two series are not the same at all for many different reasons.
Jun 25, 2023 3:20 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
PikaboyTK said:
ZuriiXD said:

The curse itself decides the extra person. It can be any student of that class who had previously died.
The reason that the countermeasure didn't work was because the extra this time was a teacher, not a student.
Of course the extra was already a dead person, that's how the curse works lol. But yeah, no idea why Misaki kept that from everyone else.

There are several reasons why Misaki didn't tell anyone... 1. She didn't actually know until later, which is why she had asked who was dead on her desk. 2. She didn't know that killing the extra would stop the calamity otherwise she would have killed that lady right away, like she was so ready to at the end of the anime. And 3. She didn't want to admit that the calamity had begun earlier that year with the death of her twin sister, which Misaki feels is her fault because she was involved with the class.
Jun 25, 2023 6:36 AM

Feb 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
PikaboyTK said:

There are several reasons why Misaki didn't tell anyone... 1. She didn't actually know until later, which is why she had asked who was dead on her desk. 2. She didn't know that killing the extra would stop the calamity otherwise she would have killed that lady right away, like she was so ready to at the end of the anime. And 3. She didn't want to admit that the calamity had begun earlier that year with the death of her twin sister, which Misaki feels is her fault because she was involved with the class.

Actually, Misaki did know who the dead one was. She had seen Reiko, as a teacher, getting murdered. Realistically, it's not that hard to connect the dots and atleast ponder on the thought that their teacher might be the extra.
She also had the "power" to see whether a person was dead or not, as stated by her towards the climax. So one look at her teacher, and she'd have known.

I agree with the other two reasons. However, I doubt they are reasons big enough to not inform about Reiko being dead.
Jun 25, 2023 6:55 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
PikaboyTK said:
ErogakiPatches said:

Actually, Misaki did know who the dead one was. She had seen Reiko, as a teacher, getting murdered. Realistically, it's not that hard to connect the dots and atleast ponder on the thought that their teacher might be the extra.
She also had the "power" to see whether a person was dead or not, as stated by her towards the climax. So one look at her teacher, and she'd have known.

I agree with the other two reasons. However, I doubt they are reasons big enough to not inform about Reiko being dead.

No, Misaki did not remember Reiko dying. That was the point and why the "extras" even exist in the first place. If everyone knew who died (Since they all died from the other calamities), then there would be no problem with knowing who the "extra" was. Misaki didn't remember just like how Kouchi didn't remember that he came there for his aunt's funeral. His father knew Reiko was dead and that Kouchi had been in that town before because he went to Reiko's funeral, but everyone WITHIN the town had their memories altered or erased. You are very mistaken about this and I would know because I've watched the series several times, read the manga, and the novel. And Misaki didn't know that killing the dead would do anything until the end and that's when she found out who the dead person was. She was a bit busy at the time at first since everyone was trying to kill her so she didn't get to find out who the "extra" was until she saw Reiko. That was when she remembered that she witnessed Reiko being murdered the year or so before that. Kouchi then remembered everything involving his aunt and Izumi remembered meeting Kouchi before all of this when he was in town for his aunt's funeral. The point is that their memories were altered or erased, so no, Misaki did not remember seeing Reiko being killed.
Jun 25, 2023 7:00 AM

Feb 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
PikaboyTK said:

No, Misaki did not remember Reiko dying. That was the point and why the "extras" even exist in the first place. If everyone knew who died (Since they all died from the other calamities), then there would be no problem with knowing who the "extra" was. Misaki didn't remember just like how Kouchi didn't remember that he came there for his aunt's funeral. His father knew Reiko was dead and that Kouchi had been in that town before because he went to Reiko's funeral, but everyone WITHIN the town had their memories altered or erased. You are very mistaken about this and I would know because I've watched the series several times, read the manga, and the novel. And Misaki didn't know that killing the dead would do anything until the end and that's when she found out who the dead person was. She was a bit busy at the time at first since everyone was trying to kill her so she didn't get to find out who the "extra" was until she saw Reiko. That was when she remembered that she witnessed Reiko being murdered the year or so before that. Kouchi then remembered everything involving his aunt and Izumi remembered meeting Kouchi before all of this when he was in town for his aunt's funeral. The point is that their memories were altered or erased, so no, Misaki did not remember seeing Reiko being killed.

Alright alright, I get your point. Her memories were altered. Now explain why she couldn't just use her special eye to take a look at everyone in the class and instantly figure out who the extra one was.

And, if everyone's memories are erased/altered, then how did Kouichi's grandparents remember about Reiko's death?
Jun 25, 2023 7:05 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
PikaboyTK said:
ErogakiPatches said:

Alright alright, I get your point. Her memories were altered. Now explain why she couldn't just use her special eye to take a look at everyone in the class and instantly figure out who the extra one was.

And, if everyone's memories are erased/altered, then how did Kouichi's grandparents remember about Reiko's death?

What would be the point of her knowing who the "extra" was? Do you think anyone besides Kouchi would believe her? And then what after that? She did try to find out who the "extra" was after they found out that they need to kill the dead, but that was when they went to the resort place and then all hell broke loose.
And they didn't remember Reiko's funeral, only that they had gone to many funerals. It's sort of the same way that Izumi had remembered Kouchi in a way, but didn't fully remember him. It's more like they remember the feelings of that, but they don't recall why they feel that way. It's a phenomenon called "deja vu" and can be seen in a real life as well. In this case, they have experienced it but simply don't remember they did.
Jun 25, 2023 7:30 AM

Feb 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
PikaboyTK said:

What would be the point of her knowing who the "extra" was? Do you think anyone besides Kouchi would believe her? And then what after that? She did try to find out who the "extra" was after they found out that they need to kill the dead, but that was when they went to the resort place and then all hell broke loose.
And they didn't remember Reiko's funeral, only that they had gone to many funerals. It's sort of the same way that Izumi had remembered Kouchi in a way, but didn't fully remember him. It's more like they remember the feelings of that, but they don't recall why they feel that way. It's a phenomenon called "deja vu" and can be seen in a real life as well. In this case, they have experienced it but simply don't remember they did.

The point of her figuring out who the extra was that the entire plot could have been avoided. The same applies for every calamity from here on out. Misaki having the ability to do something and not using her power is a great example of a failed deus ex machina. It's introduced later in the storyline, but entirely contradicts whatever happens prior to that moment.
In a class full of idiots that listen to whoever speaks the loudest, it wouldn't have been that difficult to inform everyone regarding the dead extra. Their library teacher was very knowledgeable about the phenomenon. He should have been the first one to know about Misaki's special abilities.

That's absolutely not true in the case of the show. The grandparents are never shown to have a "deja vu" about their daughters' fates, nor do they only have a "feeling". They are shown to be very well aware of both Reiko and Ritsuko being dead. It's visual storytelling.
Jun 25, 2023 7:35 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
PikaboyTK said:
ErogakiPatches said:

The point of her figuring out who the extra was that the entire plot could have been avoided. The same applies for every calamity from here on out. Misaki having the ability to do something and not using her power is a great example of a failed deus ex machina. It's introduced later in the storyline, but entirely contradicts whatever happens prior to that moment.
In a class full of idiots that listen to whoever speaks the loudest, it wouldn't have been that difficult to inform everyone regarding the dead extra. Their library teacher was very knowledgeable about the phenomenon. He should have been the first one to know about Misaki's special abilities.

That's absolutely not true in the case of the show. The grandparents are never shown to have a "deja vu" about their daughters' fates, nor do they only have a "feeling". They are shown to be very well aware of both Reiko and Ritsuko being dead. It's visual storytelling.

Clearly you didn't pay attention to anything in the show... Why would they knowing who the "extra" was help at all? And, again, everyone is supposed to be ignoring Misaki and really... Who would believe that Misaki can see the dead? It seems you are interested in a bad faith argument and not much else.

And no, his grandparents are not aware of Reiko's death. That is VERY evident by the fact that no one has memory of the current "extra". And why would the librarian know how to stop the calamity? He knows if counter-measures, but not how to STOP the calamity once it has already started. The only clue was that it stopped suddenly when one of the years visited a shrine, though they don't know WHY it stopped.

I suggest you read what I am saying, considering I know every single part of this series, and stop trying to highjack the discussion only to insert your bad faith argument because you don't like the show.
Jun 25, 2023 8:11 AM

Feb 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
PikaboyTK said:

Clearly you didn't pay attention to anything in the show... Why would they knowing who the "extra" was help at all? And, again, everyone is supposed to be ignoring Misaki and really... Who would believe that Misaki can see the dead? It seems you are interested in a bad faith argument and not much else.

And no, his grandparents are not aware of Reiko's death. That is VERY evident by the fact that no one has memory of the current "extra". And why would the librarian know how to stop the calamity? He knows if counter-measures, but not how to STOP the calamity once it has already started. The only clue was that it stopped suddenly when one of the years visited a shrine, though they don't know WHY it stopped.

I suggest you read what I am saying, considering I know every single part of this series, and stop trying to highjack the discussion only to insert your bad faith argument because you don't like the show.

What are you even on about? "Bad faith argument", it's called being logical and consistent.

The entire point of ignoring a student was to consider them as the extra. That's the idea they came up with. Knowing who the actual extra was would make their idea come to fruition.
Who's telling Misaki to reveal her powers? All that needs to be done is to present the class with the dead one. It doesn't have to be Misaki to tell them that. Anyone with a strong enough presence in the school could have done that. The librarian has that. So did their home room teacher. Call the damn principal for all I care. When the situation calls for it, people are willing to believe whatever is presented to them, given that it comes from a moral voice. That's literally the tactic Izumi used to make everyone ignore Mei. That's how all goes to hell in the resort.

The show establishes that everyone's memories are erased. But it doesn't properly follow up on that. The grandparents are clearly aware of Reiko's death. Again, it's called visual storytelling. Through dialogues and visuals, it's clearly established that they very well know that their daughter is dead. You may call that, "foreshadowing", as those scenes were clearly used for that purpose.

Bold of you to assume I don't like the show. What gave you that idea? Or are you just fond of making absurd assumptions when someone gives a logical argument against your favourite show, the one which you are so knowledgable about. There's loving a show. And then there's being obsessed with it that you don't see a simple plot hole.

If you want to continue the discussion without any sort of remarks like that, then please do so. Otherwise, I'm not interested.
Jun 25, 2023 8:35 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
PikaboyTK said:
ErogakiPatches said:

What are you even on about? "Bad faith argument", it's called being logical and consistent.

The entire point of ignoring a student was to consider them as the extra. That's the idea they came up with. Knowing who the actual extra was would make their idea come to fruition.
Who's telling Misaki to reveal her powers? All that needs to be done is to present the class with the dead one. It doesn't have to be Misaki to tell them that. Anyone with a strong enough presence in the school could have done that. The librarian has that. So did their home room teacher. Call the damn principal for all I care. When the situation calls for it, people are willing to believe whatever is presented to them, given that it comes from a moral voice. That's literally the tactic Izumi used to make everyone ignore Mei. That's how all goes to hell in the resort.

The show establishes that everyone's memories are erased. But it doesn't properly follow up on that. The grandparents are clearly aware of Reiko's death. Again, it's called visual storytelling. Through dialogues and visuals, it's clearly established that they very well know that their daughter is dead. You may call that, "foreshadowing", as those scenes were clearly used for that purpose.

Bold of you to assume I don't like the show. What gave you that idea? Or are you just fond of making absurd assumptions when someone gives a logical argument against your favourite show, the one which you are so knowledgable about. There's loving a show. And then there's being obsessed with it that you don't see a simple plot hole.

If you want to continue the discussion without any sort of remarks like that, then please do so. Otherwise, I'm not interested.

Because ignoring the "extra" after they have already been acknowledged won't stop the calamity. The only time the calamity stopped during it was in the class of 83. But considering no one knows why it stopped during that time... That doesn't help them at the moment.

As for the grandparents... His grandmother does not remember Reiko's death, but his grandfather sorta does but his dementia messes with his memories and what he believes to be true. I believe it's explained in the novel, but I don't remember.

Either way, I'm quite done with this conversation as there is nothing more to be said. I've explained the details of the curse to you. I do not care to explain it again when you barely read anything I've written. Have a nice day/night.

Fun fact: Misaki Yomiyama was the extra student of 93 and, in the manga, he is shown to still be lingering around the world and the school.
Jun 25, 2023 9:09 AM

Feb 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
PikaboyTK said:

Because ignoring the "extra" after they have already been acknowledged won't stop the calamity. The only time the calamity stopped during it was in the class of 83. But considering no one knows why it stopped during that time... That doesn't help them at the moment.

As for the grandparents... His grandmother does not remember Reiko's death, but his grandfather sorta does but his dementia messes with his memories and what he believes to be true. I believe it's explained in the novel, but I don't remember.

Either way, I'm quite done with this conversation as there is nothing more to be said. I've explained the details of the curse to you. I do not care to explain it again when you barely read anything I've written. Have a nice day/night.

Fun fact: Misaki Yomiyama was the extra student of 93 and, in the manga, he is shown to still be lingering around the world and the school.

Yes, just ignoring the extra wouldn't solve the problem. But the students didn't know about that when they decided to ignore Mei, did they? In their mind, only ignoring a student would have worked. So, actually knowing about the extra would be quite helpful in that situation. You can't solve a situation until you actually know the root of the problem. Knowing the identity of the extra would have gone a long way in helping the students come up with a different solution.

If it is explained in the novel, then good on the author for making it consistent. But the show doesn't succeed in capturing the importance of the rules to that effect.

Actually, you didn't explain the details of the curse to me. But that doesn't need to be done, since I'm very well aware of its rules stated within the show. And yes, I did read all of what you said, most of which was quite irrelevant to my original reply to the other person. But regardless, have fun finding another person to vent on for pointing out problems in your favourite show.

Cool fact! Too bad the show skipped on that as well. Would have made the original Misaki a bit more relevant and important to the world of the story, rather than just being a plot device.
Jun 25, 2023 2:08 PM
Dec 2022
personally I think it's the death of the first person related to the class who becomes the extra than kills the others
Jun 25, 2023 10:10 PM

Oct 2011
ErogakiPatches said:
@Aroukar
As someone who has watched the anime several times, who has read the novel, and read the manga, I will explain this as well as I can...

The curse started after a classmate named Misaki Yomiyama in 1972 died in a house fire with his family. His classmates, shocked and saddened by his death, refused to accept his death and, one day, a student annouced that Misaki wasn't dead and he was at his desk. The entire class refused to accept his death and everyone, including the teacher, acted like he was still alive, even brining an extra desk to the graduation for Misaki. And Misaki, in the graduation photo, was there. This caused death to begin to latch onto the class as the class itself invited death into it after they allowed Misaki to stay at his desk even after he died. Wandering spirits latched onto this class as another brief chance at life. As this was unnatural and by inviting death into the class, those connected to the class began to die. Most of the students, by 1998, thought of Misaki as an urban legend and most assumed Misaki had been a girl who had died in a plane crash.

Why certain people were chosen is unsure, however, Ritsuko Sakaibara, Kouchi's mother's, was in the same class as Misaki back when they died and, after Ritsuko died due to her younger sister being in the class, Ritsuko's younger sister also joined the class as an "extra". Most of the "extras" are all those who used to be in the class as well in some form or another. My guess is that is the whole reason why they came back to that class; they likely did not know they were dead and simply continued to go to school like always. But since the class was close to death, people began to die or go mad when connected to the class. After all, everyone who has ever been an "extra" has been a part of the class. The Librarian was the teacher back in the class of 72 that first invited death.

Now, as to whether they can have children or not... I'm guessing not as once the class has graduated, then the missing person is gone. Many ghosts die having some regret of some kind and my guess is that the students regretted not being able to graduate and once they have... They leave for good.

And for those who think that Misaki killed a bunch of people by not telling them that the teacher was dead the whole time... The whole point is she didn't know and that's why she had asked who was dead on her desk. The point of the names of the "extra" getting erased is the university trying to fix what is unnatural by, once the dead have left, erasing the traces of them and fixing what was once "broken". Misaki can see death on others die to her almost dying as a child and having to have her eye removed, thus death clung to her eye. She didn't know that you had to kill the dead once again to free everyone from the curse or that the curse had already started back when her twin sister died well before school started. Had she known... She most certainly would have killed the teacher as she had no problem whatsoever in doing so at the end. But she didn't know the calamity had already begun that year and didn't want to accept the fact that that calamity, and her own involvement with class 3-3, was what caused her sister to die.

If there is any other questions, feel free to ask me as I have watched the show many times and read all other materials for it. And Final Destination and Another are two very different stories about death; those two series are not the same at all for many different reasons.
Hey! Thanks you and all the others for answering my questions. I was up late at night thinking about the "rules" of the curse, because it's so cool.

1. Another theory I had was that the extra is not really there. People who touch their shoulders only believe they did so. Like a mass hallucination? That's why when the year ends and people look at photos with the extra, there's a gap where they should be. Except Kouichi and Misaki could see Reiko in the last photo...so maybe not?
2. Maybe records are never altered; people who look at the records to confirm things suffer from altered perception?
3. What would happen if the extra tried to leave Yomiyama? Could they even?

Jun 26, 2023 5:13 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Aroukar said:
ErogakiPatches said:
@Aroukar

Hey! Thanks you and all the others for answering my questions. I was up late at night thinking about the "rules" of the curse, because it's so cool.

1. Another theory I had was that the extra is not really there. People who touch their shoulders only believe they did so. Like a mass hallucination? That's why when the year ends and people look at photos with the extra, there's a gap where they should be. Except Kouichi and Misaki could see Reiko in the last photo...so maybe not?
2. Maybe records are never altered; people who look at the records to confirm things suffer from altered perception?

That's a good theory, but I'm not too sure on whether it stands up well. Remember Misaki Yomiyama, the one who started the curse in Class 3-3? Well, he is in that graduation photo despite being dead, so I don't think it's a mass hallucination. Not to mention all of the death that occured due to the dead being in the class. However, it's not a bad theory at all and I wonder if there is much in the series to back up that claim. Hmmm... From my perspective, there isn't a lot.

As for the "extra" leaving Yomiyama... That DID actually happen when Reiko took the kids to a beach outside of Yomiyama. However, they didn't go very far and, from my understanding, people outside of Yomiyama are not affected by the curse. That is, they can remember the dead and their memories aren't altered. That was the case for Kouchi's father who was in India. However, the same cannot be said for Katsumi Matsunga, who had discovered the way to end the calamity. But he was having a hard time remembering certain things due to his PTSD. However, he also didn't seem to think Reiko was dead or knew she was. There could be several reasons for this and I would like to point back to the novel for a bit on this... In the novel, Matsunga is never seen and is only shown to he in contact with one of the other characters. Meaning, he never sees Reiko after she had died and, from my recollection, doesn't talk about her. It could also be that he simply didn't know she had died. The librarian, in the novel, had no knowledge of Kouchi's mother's death, so it stands to reason that perhaps the former residents of Class 3-3 aren't on great terms with each other after everything that happened. It could also be that those who are near the "extra" have their memories altered as Misaki, during her family's vacation, didn't remember seeing Reiko die. However, the group also didn't go very far from Yomiyama, so it could be that the curse can still affect people's memories a short distance outside of Yomiyama, so long as they aren't in, say, India. Meaning, so long as they are not very far, then their memories are still altered. Or it could be a plot hole that belongs to the anime. Up to you how you want to see it, but it is one of the more evident plot holes of the series, though I cannot remember if Misaki was at the beach in the novel or manga.
Jun 26, 2023 5:16 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Aroukar said:
ErogakiPatches said:
@Aroukar

Also, have you seen an anime called "Shiki"? I think you may enjoy it.
Jun 26, 2023 12:43 PM

Oct 2011
ErogakiPatches said:
Aroukar said:

Does it involve ghosts? 'Cause that is the main reason I like Another. I'll try to give it a shot regardless. Ty.
Jun 26, 2023 8:28 PM

Oct 2011
While I was at work today, I came up with an idea that might end the curse for good. This idea depends on these things being true.

1. The extra, consciously or unconsciously, wants to complete the school year because they were unable to in their previous life.
2. The extras are never the same person twice.
3. The extra was a member of class 3 at some point.

Probably about right. Anyhow, what I came up with was this:
The curse is like a fire, and deaths keep feeding it. The "fuel" are the dead students/teachers. On any given year, the death of the students adds more extras to the stockpile. So what ust be done is use up all the extras without anyone dying. Heh heh. Tricky.  Eventually the curse should end. Thoughts?
Jun 27, 2023 2:35 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Aroukar said:
ErogakiPatches said:

Does it involve ghosts? 'Cause that is the main reason I like Another. I'll try to give it a shot regardless. Ty.

It is actually about vampires, but they aren't dumb Twilight vampires. They are terrifying and it's very good.
Jun 27, 2023 2:54 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Aroukar said:
While I was at work today, I came up with an idea that might end the curse for good. This idea depends on these things being true.

1. The extra, consciously or unconsciously, wants to complete the school year because they were unable to in their previous life.

The curse is like a fire, and deaths keep feeding it. The "fuel" are the dead students/teachers. On any given year, the death of the students adds more extras to the stockpile. So what ust be done is use up all the extras without anyone dying. Heh heh. Tricky.  Eventually the curse should end. Thoughts?

You know, there was actually a new novel of Another that came out recently but I haven't had the chance to read it just yet. As for your theory on how to end it... Yes, the "extras" have always been someone attached to Class 3 in some way or another, but I don't remember if the extras were extras in multiple years or not.

Honestly? Closing down the school will probably solve this whole thing. Also, I really, really recommend you read the novel.
Jun 27, 2023 9:59 AM

Oct 2011
ErogakiPatches said:
Aroukar said:

You know, there was actually a new novel of Another that came out recently but I haven't had the chance to read it just yet. As for your theory on how to end it... Yes, the "extras" have always been someone attached to Class 3 in some way or another, but I don't remember if the extras were extras in multiple years or not.

Honestly? Closing down the school will probably solve this whole thing. Also, I really, really recommend you read the novel.
Oh I'm super into this, what's the reading order of the novels/light novels?
Jun 28, 2023 6:19 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Aroukar said:
ErogakiPatches said:

Oh I'm super into this, what's the reading order of the novels/light novels?

The first novel is in two parts usually, then the new one, which I haven't ready yet, is called "Another 2001", as it takes place with Mei Misaki and another student years later in the same class.
Jul 5, 2023 1:32 AM
Aug 2022
here is the show’s canon explanation to your questions:

1. the curse is simple (supposedly). every year, even if they add extra desks to the classroom the night before, the first day of school always presents with one extra person in the class. nobody knows who the extra/ghost person is, and the extra appears to be completely real & doesn’t realize they’re dead. the ghost and students all have memories, so there is no way to distinguish the ghost from the real students. essentially, if all students & the ghost are treated as though they are part of the class, the calamity occurs because there aren’t enough “seats” in the classroom. the “seats” reference is completely metaphorical, because the first year they added a seat and the calamity still occurred. this is because of the phenomenon. if they treat one student as if they aren’t really there, the calamity doesn’t occur because technically the number of students in the class is right. after that year, the ghost disappears, and the students have their memories erased of who the ghost was.

2. the ghost/extra of the class is always someone who died in past years of the calamity or a dead relative to someone who is in the class this year. if you’re talking about how misaki was chosen, i’d assume it was some kind of vote by teachers just because teenagers are mean. they probably took into account the way other students bullied her and thought it would be best if she was the one ignored that year.

3. the ghost/extra person is wholly physical, as it is stated that there is no physical or mental difference in them. if you’re talking about misaki, yes she is wholly physical :)

4. could they bear or conceive children? i don’t believe so, because after the school year, they are forgotten to have come back and become dead again. nobody remembers them coming back so there probably is no way to bear children. also, they are 15? i think? im not entirely sure anymore.

5. see above answer ^ :)

another is one of my favourite anime’s and i believe that it doesn’t get good until your 3rd or 4th watch, just because it’s so hard to comprehend/understand until then.
Jul 27, 2023 11:34 PM

Dec 2020
Piromysl said:
It's been a while since I've watched it, but I guess curse kicking in is completely random, because their countermeasures were proven ineffective. Extra person is not a real person and seem to be someone completely random.
The rest is Final Destination copycat, but calamity can also affect third parties like relatives, not just class members.
yeah this literally was the final destination anime .

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

More topics from this board

Poll: » Another Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jenanime - Jan 9, 2012

476 by Tucefull »»
Apr 15, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sir_Lexa - Jan 30, 2012

537 by Jaakusameyumi »»
Apr 11, 7:21 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2012

1042 by Fanerogame »»
Mar 28, 9:05 AM

» Well, this ending was a bit ass. Very mixed opinions.

TrhlaSlecna - Jan 10

25 by TrhlaSlecna »»
Feb 21, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2012

341 by JoJo_Enjoyerr »»
Feb 19, 12:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.