Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 4, 2023 7:48 AM

Jul 2021
Were her actions justified in any way? Is she the evil character we make her out to be?

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 4, 2023 7:55 AM
Dec 2022
She was pretty mean
Jun 4, 2023 8:06 AM
May 2022
She was way too obsessive towards this music stuff and forced her son into same thing. Imagine being captivated by your own mother for her selfish desires/dreams and your freedom for being YOURSELF is snatched.
Jun 4, 2023 8:11 AM
Feb 2022
i totaly forgot about this show
Jun 4, 2023 8:38 AM
Feb 2023
there was a reason for being mean to her son 😫
Jun 4, 2023 9:43 AM
Oct 2021
Yes she deserves the hate. You don't hit a kid with a stick after he played like a machine just because he missed a note or 2. She was selfish, abused and traumatized her own son and thought it would help him build a career when it totaly destroyed his life
Jun 4, 2023 10:25 AM
May 2022
Tohru_editz said:

But she was mean to her son… soooooo
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
Jun 4, 2023 10:31 AM

Apr 2016
There was a reason.

That obviously doesn't justify her actions, but there was a reason.
Jun 4, 2023 10:56 AM

Jul 2021
Tohru_editz said:
Daninokuni said:
There was a reason.

what was the reason? i totally forgot. i'm rewatching this after 2 years (i'm on ep 10).

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 4, 2023 11:10 AM
May 2022
IMO it's not her fault really.
She was sick and dying and all she wanted was for her son to make his life out of the music she held so close to her heart
Was all the abuse justified? No.
But a woman who knows she's on her deathbed wants her son to be perfect at the piano so she could die peacefully knowing that his son will make something out of the music.
In the process she forgot about her son's feelings but she was just caught up in a lot of emotions and forgot that her kid was ..... well, A kid and a 12 y/o doesn't need to be that perfect. But all she wanted was for Arima to be able to be able in life.
Jun 4, 2023 11:20 AM
May 2023
I think she is a prime example of what can happen to a person if you leave poor mental health untreated. She was suffering, and she handled it the only way she knew how. I truly pity her, because she was kind, and gentle at one point, but was consumed by her fear. She was not a bad person, just a broken one.
Jun 4, 2023 2:03 PM
Mar 2023
Pure evil like a couple step below shou tucker
Jun 4, 2023 10:07 PM
Feb 2019
Shes just a narcissist as fuck man.

Gave him that type of “i couldn’t do it so you will live your life trought my will , achieving ever single of expectations i have in you, so you can achieve my dreams” either that either he got beat up. So yea shes a bitch.

And no i dont care, she could be dying but that doesn’t justify her treatment to her own son, having in mind she was dying and still choose to be a abusive as fuck , ma men is traumatized into play the piano man.
FeretereitorJun 4, 2023 10:15 PM
Jun 4, 2023 10:31 PM
Jun 2022
I think she just broke heart
Jun 5, 2023 1:07 AM
Sep 2021
IvoryGem said:
I think she is a prime example of what can happen to a person if you leave poor mental health untreated. She was suffering, and she handled it the only way she knew how. I truly pity her, because she was kind, and gentle at one point, but was consumed by her fear. She was not a bad person, just a broken one.

she fucking abused her child wtf is wrong with you
Jun 5, 2023 1:08 AM
Sep 2021
APDied said:
She was sick and dying and all she wanted was for her son to make his life out of the music she held so close to her heart
But a woman who knows she's on her deathbed wants her son to be perfect at the piano so she could die peacefully knowing that his son will make something out of the music.
In the process she forgot about her son's feelings but she was just caught up in a lot of emotions and forgot that her kid was ..... well, A kid and a 12 y/o doesn't need to be that perfect. But all she wanted was for Arima to be able to be able in life.

that still doesn't justify her abuse dummy, she's still at fault
Jun 5, 2023 1:09 AM
Sep 2021
Daninokuni said:
There was a reason.

99% of abusers have a reason to abuse, doesn't make it better
Jun 5, 2023 1:09 AM
Sep 2021
Kira2733 said:
Yes she deserves the hate. You don't hit a kid with a stick after he played like a machine just because he missed a note or 2. She was selfish, abused and traumatized her own son and thought it would help him build a career when it totaly destroyed his life

the fact that the show and even some people here are trying to justify her actions.........
Jun 5, 2023 2:37 AM
Oct 2020
I want to call out another thing about the show.

The mom abused her and that’s very bad.
But basically EVERYONE and i mean EVERYONE in the show “abused” Kousei if you look at it.
Everyone hits him, get’s mad at him for small reasons and every character dominates him in an annoying way. I like this show but this was seriously something i got so irritated about. Poor kousei-
Jun 5, 2023 7:41 AM
May 2022
Saimatsu_Fan said:
APDied said:

I did say the abuse wasn't justify, but she wasn't in a good position mentally to see what damage it did to her child. If she wasn't dying she would've not done anything even remotely close to this. But in the end if Kosei can forgive her then maybe we should too
Jun 5, 2023 9:00 AM

Apr 2016
Saimatsu_Fan said:
Daninokuni said:
There was a reason.

Well, 99% of abuser have a worse reason than Kousei's mum.

While not justifying any of her actions (I don't think anything in this world can justify what she does), you can understand how she ended like that. That makes her a more consistent character, since it's not simply "she did it because she's cruel".
Jun 5, 2023 10:24 AM
May 2021
She really loved Kousei. Her gradually declining health and a seeming absent father got her really worried about how he'd live once she was gone. That was why she grew increasingly more strict with Kousei so as to be able to excel his craft. However, by the end what she wanted almost went for naught as Kousei almost gave up music once she was gone. She wasn't evil, she was just concerned. Kaori treated Kousei the same way tbf
Jun 5, 2023 11:08 AM
Nov 2020
That's an Asian stuff happened with me too since childhood
Jun 5, 2023 11:21 AM

Jul 2022
the question asks if her actions were justified, not if she had a reason to abuse Kosei or not…

she was never justified in her actions and never will be. even if her actions made Kosei the most famous piano player ever it wouldn’t justify the abuse. Kosei has permanent trauma from her actions and will never enjoy piano the way he did before the abuse again. Kosei’s mom robbed him of the purest form of joy he could ever experience simply because she desperately wanted him to be the best since she couldn’t be. she pushed her dreams onto him, as i’m sure Kosei wouldn’t have cared to be #1 as long as his mother, the one person he had and cared for as a kid, enjoyed his piano playing.
ⓘ User is suspected to be a part of an online terrorist organization. Please report any suspicious activity to Discord MAL staff

Jun 5, 2023 11:58 PM
Sep 2021
Daninokuni said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

While not justifying any of her actions (I don't think anything in this world can justify what she does), you can understand how she ended like that. That makes her a more consistent character, since it's not simply "she did it because she's cruel".

considering that the anime Literally tried to make us sympathize with her, she's badly written too
Jun 5, 2023 11:59 PM
Sep 2021
APDied said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

I did say the abuse wasn't justify, but she wasn't in a good position mentally to see what damage it did to her child. If she wasn't dying she would've not done anything even remotely close to this. But in the end if Kosei can forgive her then maybe we should too

lol imagine forgiving abusers who Literally did awful things to you as a child
Jun 6, 2023 12:55 AM
Jun 2022
01bestanimeAOT said:
She's not very hot. Just an average milf. 5/10

glad someone else was thinking how I was lmao
Jun 6, 2023 2:25 AM

Apr 2016
Saimatsu_Fan said:
Daninokuni said:

considering that the anime Literally tried to make us sympathize with her, she's badly written too

I unfortunately have met myself with people about to die of an intreatable illness.
The way Kosei's mum is portrated is pretty accurated.

It's up to you considering her a bad or well written character.
Jun 8, 2023 3:22 AM
Jan 2022
She did terrible things there Is no doubt in that and there Is no excuse for them. But this Is a well known fenomenom when perents hurt their children in the best of intentions, but it often doesen't work out. In the end, one or both parties get hurt, which we can see right here.
Jun 11, 2023 1:32 PM
Aug 2022
ashutoshanime said:
She was way too obsessive towards this music stuff and forced her son into same thing. Imagine being captivated by your own mother for her selfish desires/dreams and your freedom for being YOURSELF is snatched.

I don’t agree with this view to a certain extent. Kousei loved music as a kid from hearing his mother play. Originally, Kousei’s mom wanted to avoid getting Kousei into a music career.

I would imagine at first, Kousei’s mom taught him normally, but became more extreme as she got sicker as she wanted him to succeed before she died.

For Kousei’s mom, succeeding meant to play the piece as written on the paper to get the top spot, which is a contrast to Kaori who played out how she felt to reach the audience, for her that was succeeding.

I wouldn’t say Kousei’s mom forced him into anything but forced him to pursue something he did want, which in return cost him a lot of his childhood and eventually his ability to grow even hear notes.

His mother’s action, although abusive and inhumane, did come from a place of love and ambition for him to become a successful pianist. This can especially be seen after she beat Kousei with a cane and she broke down crying after being confronted about it.

This love and ambition in form of rash actions and forcing into practice repeats when Kaori gets sicker. Kaori begins to mirror Kousei’s mom. Although this mirroring gets broken down after she’s able to express her feelings on the rooftop, something Kousei’s mom never ended up doing.

I do agree her actions were bad, but I feel like it’s also important to understand where it came from.
Feb 2, 6:46 PM
May 2022
Saimatsu_Fan said:
APDied said:

lol imagine forgiving abusers who Literally did awful things to you as a child

As I sais she wasn't in the best mental health at the end. Kosei realized this and decided to forgive her. I guess everyone sees stuff differently so if you guys can't really do that then it's fine I guess

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1177 by ojarlos »»
May 11, 12:06 PM

Poll: » What do you think of the character artstyle?

Mallony - Oct 10, 2014

40 by Keytee1 »»
May 5, 9:35 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

335 by RickHatake »»
May 1, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2015

234 by exho26 »»
May 1, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.