Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 3, 2023 6:28 AM

Nov 2011
I really like Kiruko's confidence this episode. She marched into the unknown fearless while calculating her moves. She and her partner took a big risk on their journey.

What a crazy ending too. I feel like this anime always somehow finds its way to evoke emotions for its audience. RIP Jugo's mother. 

May 2020
The weirdo is back, and most of all he convinced Maru and Kiruko to accompany him to the place he mentioned in that story of his, that pig seed facility. Those two wanted to check the remaining two facilities of Takahara academy anyways, so it’s just like checking things midway, and they’re getting a free lift too, so yeah. They arrived at the destination, and trust me just for precautionary measures, Maru dressed up like a girl :) 

Ignoring how Maru was looking more like a girl than the actual girl here Kiruko, it didn’t take long before the usual started happening. A hiruko attacking all of a sudden and quite quirky at that.. literally froze both of them like an ice popsicle. Though Kiruko dealt with it, and needless to say they found the facility was long abandoned. As this was later confirmed by those two men as well who used to be a part of that pig seed facility like Juiichi. 

It was more of a surprise to see Juiichi’s son was well and alive after all this time, as those remaining men who escaped took care of him this whole while. But hey when it looked like the episode was going rather peacefully, we see Juiichi killing one of those men there, who happened to be that individual who informed everyone of his escape back then. He’s out with his kid… and that kid is NOT normal. 

We got new kids admitted in the facility as well, and they look all more abnormal than the original ones. The animation… no the faces were quite expressive this episode lol.

Nov 2010
Unfortunately, both drawing and animation degraded terribly. Really terrible.
Jun 3, 2023 6:36 AM

Apr 2014
So... what was happening with the art and animation in this episode?!

btw, the location of the walled city in this episode should be somewhere around here
何それ?意味分かんない
Jun 3, 2023 6:39 AM
Jun 2023
AkeZZZ said:
So... what was happening with the art and animation in this episode?!

btw, the location of the walled city in this episode should be somewhere around here
This episode is directed by Ikarashi Kai (五十嵐 海), who has also been the episodic director for Edgerunner ep6 and Dynazenon ep10. This is basically his personal style of directing. 

Btw to those who thought this episode had bad animation, the staff list included some of the most talented key animators for this specific episode, like Yoshinari Kou (吉成 鋼), Araki Ryou (荒木 涼) and Takeuchi Tetsuya (竹内 哲也).
AllennnnnnZJun 3, 2023 6:44 AM
Jun 3, 2023 6:46 AM

Jun 2019
I was expecting this episode to be amazing and I am personally satisfied. Just what I expected from Igarashi. Maru looked adorable to me as a girl. LOL. The reason I loved this episode was solely based on how expressive the characters looked and felt. The art style was very Igarashi and I loved it. That was very nice to see. Aside from that, a lot once again happened in the episode. Those kids btw. This show keeps making me come back for more for the next one. Can't wait for next week and what new things we'll encounter in the show. Another great episode.
Jun 3, 2023 6:47 AM

Mar 2020
A very interesting choice of art style and direction this episode, and considering Kai Ikarashi, the key animator and assistant director for the Turning Point 2 episode for Mushoku Tensei, was working on this, it certainly reminded me of that episode to some extent, with some of the tension. Hopefully this doesn't put some people off, as the style certainly felt quite experimental, but I genuinely loved the direction and style. Juichi was back this episode, and Maru and Kiruko accompanied him to the "pig breeding facility", and also to check if Juichi's son was still alive. We had some very expressive comedic faces, and that man-eater was quite frightening with what it could do. Turns out, Jugo, Juichi's son, was the source of those powers. I do hope he doesn't cause major trouble down the road for the people.

We also saw some new kids admitted to the nursery, and they all look quite... odd. Also, looks like Tokio might give birth to her child soon. Lots of intrigue and mysteries remain.

See you, bye bye, on to the next one.
Jun 3, 2023 6:50 AM
Mar 2021
only 13 episodes? sigh
Jun 3, 2023 7:08 AM

Jul 2017
The animation style in this episode, it's definitely a personal take on it being good or bad, considering the people involved through episode director Kai Ikarashi.

Kiruko and Maru on the way to Ibaraki through Juichi's van to the Walled Town, and let's say that there are a lot of idiosyncrasies on the way to knowing his history and all. The decrepit city where everything is left the way it is, and more leads are found...along with a man-eater who can freeze liquids. Kiruko though, comes up with the idea that she can spit some water on the Hiruko to ascertain its attack range, which she does to full effect. None of whoever Juichi mentioned was there, they most likely moved out. And through coincidence, he meets 2 of his former comrades, seeing Juichi's son Jugo is still alive. It's a heartwarming reunion with a welcome party, though Juichi was acting weirder than usual.

A span of a night, and the same fog-like coldness comes back from a man-eater, though this time it's Juichi going missing, with Kiruko dealing with this for the 2nd time and it's harder to locate it. Turns out, Jugo is the man-eater intiating the cold attack, though how to deal with it? Thankfully he's fine and leaving Juichi in his community and space is better than leaving him alone...and to make the pain worth, Juichi got betrayed before by his comrades for revealing his wife through one of the boars. This presents the fact that Juichi made a runaway with his "see you, bye bye" moniker, with his destination unknown.

Tokio's pregnancy is of utmost danger to the adults, and more kids are introduced. The dynamics within the facility are becoming shrewder...
Jun 3, 2023 7:12 AM

Apr 2010
That was one bloody ending killing someone with a electric saw is brutal.
Seems the village wasn't so safe after all but at least some managed to escape.
The main characters are on the move as well and this time with a faster form of travel hopefully it brings them where they need to be.
Jun 3, 2023 7:11 AM
May 2022
All the manga readers know and I’m not ready my hate is not ready 😠🫥
Jun 3, 2023 7:33 AM

Nov 2016
I don't know how to fell about this episode, these two last episodes i really didn't like as much, they were pretty funny at least.
I want to see more of Maru and Kiroku backstory, relationship, about the academy or about the monsters but these two last episodes arent as interesting as the other ones, in my opinion.
Still lots of questions about the whole anime, I hope the remaining episodes are much better or give some answers. 

I like Anime, Manga and Vidya.

Jun 3, 2023 7:41 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
It definitely shows that its someone from Trigger that's directing this episode lol (I mean that in a good way, it looked different but it didn't look bad like some people seem to say here)
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jun 3, 2023 7:58 AM
Oct 2019
oh wow the artistic choice for this episode was definitely a bold move because it just coming out of nowhere.
people are either gonna love it or hate it.

So the story about the Pig Breeding is real.

Also am i the only one that thinking Juichi was one of the kid from the new batch?
Jun 3, 2023 8:03 AM
May 2023
I really enjoyed this episode! The expressive and exaggerated animation alone could have carried my enjoyment. It wasn't what I expected for this anime, but the contrast with the darker themes and gory visuals works really well. As for the story, it picks up from the end of the previous episode and continues with some unexpected adventures and revelations.
Jun 3, 2023 8:06 AM

Feb 2021
I can't stress enough how good this show looks. Comedy parts too, the stylized art and animation is really good.
Lmao

Damn, that ending... I understand why he did it but man, he could've just lived there peacefully.... What's he planning to do now?
Jun 3, 2023 8:07 AM

Dec 2012
Can someone tell me why jyuichi killed that guy? Was it something regarding Jugo's Mom?

Jun 3, 2023 8:12 AM
作画

Nov 2019
episode of the year. Ikarashi GOAT.
Jun 3, 2023 8:15 AM
Aug 2021
kuroneko99 said:
supposedly a guest director or something with "creativity"... but for me it looked as drawings for a Sunday comic strip.
gawedJun 3, 2023 8:29 AM
Jun 3, 2023 8:16 AM
Aug 2021
davidyodo24 said:
oh wow the artistic choice for this episode was definitely a bold move because it just coming out of nowhere.
people are either gonna love it or hate it.

So the story about the Pig Breeding is real.

Also am i the only one that thinking Juichi was one of the kid from the new batch?

At first I thought it was budget but turns out it was a guest director and staff who seemed to like to draw as if they were drawing Peanuts in the Sunday newspaper and the flashbacks in "paused" moments...meh.
gawedJun 3, 2023 8:33 AM
Jun 3, 2023 8:22 AM
Dec 2022
But there is no way people think the animation quality dropped for this episode when it was better than average. 
Jun 3, 2023 8:22 AM
Apr 2022
animeprinzesa said:
All the manga readers know and I’m not ready my hate is not ready 😠🫥
HEY, Now don't goo spoiling everyone , we have suffered and let the anime enjoyer suffer too , you know it's not fair if only one part of the community suffers!!
Jun 3, 2023 8:26 AM

Jul 2019
gawed said:
kuroneko99 said:

agree. they tried to disguise it as some sort of "creative" episode but this was clearly an episode with low budget or deadlines not reached.
Nah, its the opposite. You can say its "low budget", but this is still technically the episode where the show has had the most animation yet and just the best staff. Its not the first time Kai ikarashi, the director of this episode, has done this by the way, he has done it in gridman ep 9, dynazenon ep 10 and cyberpunk ep 6, all of them got "complaints" about the animation, and likewise a lot of praise. It has nothing to do with low budget, because if anything, this is the episode that needed the most resources. You not liking it is understandable, hell, even i who absolutely loves this director found some of the scenes not necessarily to my personal liking, but its still, very much a choice. Also, if this show was by trigger, people would obviously not mind the artstyle change nearly as much as right now.
Jun 3, 2023 8:27 AM
作画

Nov 2019
Modz_gg said:
But there is no way people think the animation quality dropped for this episode when it was better than average. 
you know, casual watchers don't know who Ikarashi is and how he works; we can't blame them for being ignorant
Jun 3, 2023 8:29 AM
Apr 2022
Embient said:
I can't stress enough how good this show looks. Comedy parts too, the stylized art and animation is really good.
Lmao

Damn, that ending... I understand why he did it but man, he could've just lived there peacefully.... What's he planning to do now?
2 things made me laugh first the picture and second after the ques "What's he planning to do now?" and seeing ACTIVATE WINDOWS icon!
Jun 3, 2023 8:30 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
KazuroWeisemann said:
Can someone tell me why jyuichi killed that guy? Was it something regarding Jugo's Mom?
As shown in the flashback in the middle of Juichi's monologing at the end, he's the one who snitched on them when Juichi, Jugo, and Jugo's mom tried to escape this hellhole.

It was just good ol revenge
DatRandomDudeJun 3, 2023 8:33 AM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jun 3, 2023 8:31 AM

Jun 2014
It was nice to see Juichi reunited with his son, but damn, the happiness didn't last very long as things quickly got bloody with Juichi killing that dude. I wonder what his plans are now, where will he go with his son I wonder...

Not much screentime this episode for the facility children, but some new kids have entered the picture and they already give off an unsettling feeling. 

Also, it seems like this will be the type of episode whose experimental and unconventional artistic choices will be immediately written off as bad animation lol.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 3, 2023 8:32 AM

Sep 2018
Another amazing episode, so many great stylistic flourishes and a seriously weird story line.

This show is totally melting my brain...

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jun 3, 2023 8:33 AM
Jan 2023
What a chilling episode. Turned out to be a cool kid!
Jun 3, 2023 8:36 AM

Jul 2019
Petro42 said:
What a chilling episode. Turned out to be a cool kid!
Very much a dad joke, but i have to admit it, i laughed.
Jun 3, 2023 8:38 AM
作画

Nov 2019
kuroneko99 said:
the degradation in question
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Jun 3, 2023 8:39 AM

Oct 2017
I knew this episode was too tame to end without anything happening and then that just happened, damn. Something gonna happen in the facility too with the arrival of the new students.
Jun 3, 2023 8:42 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Wow, the animation direction was all over the place this time, and in a good way considering how it jumped from one style to the others depending on the atmosphere of the scene. There's still a cryptic nature in what is being told and the facility side certainly doesn't help with the introduction of a bunch of new kids. But at least the comedic elements and the chemistry was really good and Juichi's arc throughout it was something to witness.

Last stretch coming up.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jun 3, 2023 8:43 AM
Sep 2021
The episode throughout was good and the ending brought a chill to my spine. Didn't expect this episode to be so good.
Jun 3, 2023 8:48 AM
Aug 2020
Chapters 32 incoming, but i think it would be in ep 12 not next one.
Jun 3, 2023 8:49 AM
Nov 2021
Don't know what to say, this anime is on another level.
Jun 3, 2023 8:59 AM

Apr 2021
Not fond of this style but I guess some do like it.
There's a risk that the scene where Karuko asks who's the best looking between Maru and her, just pass as comedy, while it's clearer in the manga that it is a strong indication that her mindset is slowly changing and that she's not sees herself anymore fully as a male. These exagerated parts tend to take too much space for me and hide the myriad of details in this story too much.
As a whole, the episode has very good moments and I enjoyed it but I would have prefered it without this comic approach personally.
Jun 3, 2023 9:02 AM

Feb 2019
Ngl a little disappointed because in that Reddit sakuga thread they made it seem like today was the day everything would be revealed about the mystery of the academies and man eaters

But, Ikarashi as usual provides an animation masterclass. Loved how the episode looked and felt.

I actually thought the spider man eater that was at the beginning of the episode would be the one that followed them back to the hideout and give us a little twist of irony, but the little boy being a man eater was wild.

So #9 was an opp the whole time and had the nerve to smile in Juichi’s face when he saw him again, that’s crazy lol. Rip bozo

Can’t wait to see the deal with the new fifth years next week, they look sus
Marinate1016Jun 3, 2023 9:06 AM
Jun 3, 2023 9:03 AM
Apr 2022
Well certainly I don't like jumping from style to style, imo this looks really cheap like they don't have enough money to make better one. I'd rather them go back to the original style
Jun 3, 2023 9:06 AM
Apr 2023
kuroneko99 said:

that sucks so bad 🫥
Jun 3, 2023 9:16 AM

Jul 2017
This episode looks good, definitely the most unique looking episode of this series and I dig the experimentation here from Kai Ikarashi who was in charge here. The Trigger-ish feel to this episode is not for everyone but I dug it for sure here, definitely see this kind of show, settings and characters working with this style and it did, even on the character acting front. It's wacky but the episode did ooze personality right there. The ending too was really good.
Jun 3, 2023 9:24 AM
Jun 2007
As soon as I saw that the opening was skipped, I braced myself for an important episode… It having distinct animation definitely helped that feeling. Not sure what I think about it… it wasn’t “bad”, IMO, but “off” at times. Definitely stands out though, so kudos I guess.

Another piece of the puzzle revealed… last episode, our characters learned that the facility took in kids from outside. Now we learn that the kids who were bred by those women and “boars” are those that were taken, and the one child we see today is… a hiruko.
Though supposedly only the females were taken from the breedings, and there are definitely males in the school, so I don’t know how to bridge that gap, unless I’m not remembering stuff correctly.

It just further connects with the clues we’ve already seen, like with Dr. Usami and his lover that he attempted to prevent from becoming a hiruko, and the hints about their identities.

I just love how this show goes about with its storytelling and world building! A shame there are only 3 episodes left for this season! Easily my favorite show of this season, surpassing even Oshi no Ko (Which I absolutely love).
Jun 3, 2023 9:27 AM

Jan 2009
i love the wacky art and animation sakuga style of Kai Ikarashi no wonder he is the upcoming great talent of Studio Trigger

also the man eaters can have human forms eh interesting
Jun 3, 2023 9:28 AM

Apr 2021
I have to admit the look of this episode had me vacillating between "ran out of money?" and "guest artist?" - on the one hand the characters often looked quite odd and even clumsy in bread-and-butter shots and the animation was often visibly limited, but on the other hand, great close-ups and stills galore.

Jun 3, 2023 9:31 AM
Negator

Mar 2022
Shivin_Singh said:
Embient said:
Lmao

2 things made me laugh first the picture and second after the ques "What's he planning to do now?" and seeing ACTIVATE WINDOWS icon!

I feel ashamed that I just watched the episode, yet don’t know what you’re referring to lol
Jun 3, 2023 9:33 AM
Apr 2022
MusashiKarlsefni said:
Shivin_Singh said:

I feel ashamed that I just watched the episode, yet don’t know what you’re referring to lol

🐣is that so! I just watched hells paradise and am looking for bochu Jutsu
Jun 3, 2023 9:40 AM
Negator

Mar 2022
Shivin_Singh said:
MusashiKarlsefni said:

Just realized you were talking about their comment, and not something that happened in the episode, I feel dumb lol. But I am looking forward to the new episode of Jigo as well
Jun 3, 2023 9:54 AM

Oct 2017
Lmao, the first 4 mins of episode caught me off guard.
I was like wth is going on, am I really watching the same show?
Then i notice part of the episode is directed by Trigger.

It's sad that the Trigger part is way inferior than the rest of the episode
The artstyle is out of place, the animation is lacking and pacing is weird lolz
Glad it's not the whole episode directed by Trigger.
Jun 3, 2023 10:00 AM
Oct 2019
KazuroWeisemann said:
Because he was the one who sounded the alarm on Juichi's escape with the two women and his son, so he is Juichi sees him as the reason why the two women are dead and he had to be separated for so long/
Jun 3, 2023 10:06 AM
Apr 2022
MusashiKarlsefni said:
Shivin_Singh said:

Just realized you were talking about their comment, and not something that happened in the episode, I feel dumb lol. But I am looking forward to the new episode of Jigo as well
Yeah don't worry bout it lets just enjoy some danger in my heart anime!
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Kiriko and Haruki are blood related?

abuudai - 4 hours ago

3 by B3DNAR »»
3 hours ago

» Isn't this lovely?

passtur - May 13

29 by Phloup »»
May 14, 4:55 AM

Poll: » What would you do if your waifu told you she is like Kiruko? [SPOILER]

Zarutaku - Feb 11

25 by LostSpectre »»
May 13, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Softhenic03 - Apr 1, 2023

370 by anii_squid »»
May 8, 6:29 PM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2023

474 by MCGospels »»
May 5, 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.