Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
Available on Manga Store
New
Do you think it's a slice of life anime?
Jun 2, 2023 10:44 AM

Dec 2019
As a self-identified SoL fan who loves WataMote, I want to say that WataMote is a SoL anime, and I believe I'm right. It shows Tomoko as she is, and there's no plot forcing her into these awkward situations. She puts herself in those situations. At most, there's some minor inconvenience that nudges her into that awkward situation. The show is a normal slice of her life.

Of course, WataMote is a comedy, and according to MAL's definition, a comedy can't be a slice of life. I disagree with that definition. A comedy can be a slice of life, but I can see a show being so "comedic" that it isn't a slice of life anymore. If a bunch of wacky stuff happens every episode, it's hard to call such a show a slice of life, even if the show takes place in a normal world and everything resets at the end of the episode. Going back to WataMote, you could argue that the wacky situations Tomoko puts herself in disqualifies the show from being a slice of life, but I believe that the situations are relatively normal, and Tomoko is just being a nervous wreck.

What do you guys think? Is WataMote a slice of life or not? I've put MAL's definition of slice of life in the spoiler below if you want to see it.

Jun 2, 2023 11:19 AM
Dec 2020
i swear ive seen you do this like 6 times
Jun 2, 2023 11:26 AM

Dec 2019
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
i swear ive seen you do this like 6 times

I do this a bit. The topic of what counts as slice of life or not interests me since people disagree about it a lot, and MAL's definition doesn't work for me and a lot of other people.
Do you find these threads annoying?
Jun 2, 2023 11:56 AM
Oct 2022
the manga has the sol tag so it doesn't make sense that the anime doesn't
also this is the first time I heard about mal's definition for sol and I've noticed that it's inconsistent like Beastars has sol /drama and hitoribocchi has comedy /sol
sol almost always has at least one of those 3 tags so it's weird to have a rule like that tbh it's just confusing
Jun 2, 2023 12:07 PM

Apr 2018
It's more a comedy anime than a SOL
For me, Watamote is one of the best comedy I've seen, yes it's also a SOL but it's more a comedy like Nichijou and Saiki Kusuo..
Jun 2, 2023 12:33 PM

Apr 2021
fluffycow17 said:
As a self-identified SoL fan who loves WataMote, I want to say that WataMote is a SoL anime, and I believe I'm right. It shows Tomoko as she is, and there's no plot forcing her into these awkward situations. She puts herself in those situations. At most, there's some minor inconvenience that nudges her into that awkward situation. The show is a normal slice of her life.

Of course, WataMote is a comedy, and according to MAL's definition, a comedy can't be a slice of life. I disagree with that definition. A comedy can be a slice of life, but I can see a show being so "comedic" that it isn't a slice of life anymore. If a bunch of wacky stuff happens every episode, it's hard to call such a show a slice of life, even if the show takes place in a normal world and everything resets at the end of the episode. Going back to WataMote, you could argue that the wacky situations Tomoko puts herself in disqualifies the show from being a slice of life, but I believe that the situations are relatively normal, and Tomoko is just being a nervous wreck.

What do you guys think? Is WataMote a slice of life or not? I've put MAL's definition of slice of life in the spoiler below if you want to see it.

Technically it is, but the female MC is so disturbingly absurd, delusional, annoying, illogical, narcissistic, that it becomes unrealistic.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series and judge each based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jun 2, 2023 1:15 PM

Jun 2021
One of my favorite SoL i read in my short but diverse otaku life.
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Jun 2, 2023 2:47 PM

Jun 2016
I’ve also seen you multiple times. You know I don’t think you need to take MAL so seriously. They’re not always gonna be right. I’ve found an entry that doesn’t have a single tag and a lot of the less popular are missing tags.
Jun 2, 2023 4:07 PM

Dec 2019
Usagi-san-chan said:
I’ve also seen you multiple times. You know I don’t think you need to take MAL so seriously. They’re not always gonna be right. I’ve found an entry that doesn’t have a single tag and a lot of the less popular are missing tags.

I probably care about MAL more than I should, but I feel like MAL's mistake is their definition of SoL, not that they forgot to tag some anime correctly. I love SoL, so I believe it should be defined correctly. Also, another reason for these polls is data collection. It's cool to see where people draw the line for SoL, and I'm a data junkie in general, so it's fun for me. I do plan on slowing down, though. I'm running out of anime I want to talk about, and I don't want to annoy people by spamming the same question too much.
Jun 2, 2023 4:16 PM
Apr 2022
Tbh, I really don’t think so. It’s more of a drama imo, with heavy SOL elements. It’s more like a Cringe of Life. Tomoko is deeply depressed and antisocial in the beginning of the manga, and season one perfectly illustrates this. She’s stubborn and clueless at the same time. She’s basically too immature and anxious to realize the only way to make friends is to be genuine with who you are. She only learns to do that after season one. Season one is really painful to watch at times even, because of how bad she is at connecting with others, including her family. I still hope somehow they’ll continue this series because the series really is a good teacher on how to improve one’s social life.
Jun 2, 2023 4:45 PM

Oct 2013
It gives strong slice of life vibes, so I say yeah, it is a SoL anime (among other genres).
Jun 2, 2023 5:01 PM

Apr 2017
I’ve seen like seven of these posts and everyone single one has been a slice of life.
Jun 2, 2023 6:07 PM
Jan 2023
Yeah it is.
the best of all time in fact
Jun 2, 2023 8:41 PM
Nov 2019
not sure why people think it's not. People do know an anime can be multiple genres even if its not the primary focus of one. Watamote is a sol. It's also a drama. And comedy can be sol, don't know why anyone would think otherwise. Genres aren't demographics meaning there can be multiple Genres in a tag while there can only be one demographic
Jun 2, 2023 11:03 PM
Feb 2022
it is more comeday that anything
Jun 3, 2023 10:25 AM
Oct 2021
Yes, it can be seen as slice of life. Although I would call it Slice of Life: Realistic Version+.
Jun 3, 2023 2:40 PM
Feb 2022
comedy and SoL aren't mutualy exclusive, so from my point of view, it is both
Jun 4, 2023 1:55 AM

Jan 2023
It is both comedy and sol in my opinion.
Though I think it is probably more of a comedy than sol.
Jun 5, 2023 11:36 AM
Jun 2022
Yea it is,while it does take darker themes it makes them comedic.your supposed to laugh and maybe relate to her struggles

More topics from this board

» Need help identifying a song

XeroBeat - Apr 26

1 by CatChud »»
Apr 26, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2013

240 by Thnikkakid »»
Apr 11, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2013

201 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 11, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2013

377 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

rederoin - Jul 8, 2013

653 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.