Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 17, 2023 7:29 AM
Aug 2022
Perfect timing Aqua-kun
This episode is totally dedicated to Akane-san's Struggles.
till now I didn't knew about Reality Show but now I hate reality show.
Source of picture below:-
https://twitter.com/kaaaaaappe/status/1658842189466673155?s=19

Ricky16May 17, 2023 7:41 AM
May 17, 2023 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
Well, it's nothing new in the anime industry but stars like Akane can struggle and feel the pressure and emotions, even being to the point of having frustration. This episode focuses more on her character progress. 

This episode was great though imo, as it highlighted not just her emotions but how characters react around her. Akane's own vulnerable is also part of her personality, being that she wasn't truly suited for her role. 
May 17, 2023 7:30 AM

May 2020
Reality dating shows are fucking disgusting, but then again there are people out there who love to see a bunch of individuals act all cringe between them. Thus the reason these things still exist. Anyways to the focus right now, seems like the thing Aqua and other good-for-nothing highschoolers are working on is becoming a fan-favourite. Reason you ask? Well, a few cute girls and some slim-shady ikemen are putting up a good lovey-dovey act to ensure those school going kids keep up the views count.   

But hey among those good-for-nothing, there’s a certain someone who shouldn’t be put in this bracket, and that is Akane. Girl is giving it her all, but since she couldn’t put up a “CUTE-GIRL” act like the one in the spotlight, Sumi, she’s literally a ghost on the set. Fans aren’t pleased with her, her agency wants her to drop out from the show and most of all she isn’t content with her own work at all. Not hard to guess, the cumulative effect of these things were enough to push her over the edge, and then THAT happened. An unfortunate and unintentional accident. 

Though Akane and Sumi reconciled, that incident of her attacking Sumi flamed the fans all over the internet. She became a target of online harassment, just the kind of usual occurrence in this day and age. No matter how strong mentally you are, these kinds of things do get people down, as there’s no way to take a break from the internet these days, so you’re just trapped.

Those people who put Akane in that miserable state, to the point where she was about to take her own life… well these are those very same people who can’t even properly state their name in front of two individuals, heck can’t even converse like a normal human but hey keyboard masters all the way. FUCK them, but good thing Aqua arrived at the right time.
May 17, 2023 7:33 AM

Jan 2021
Oshi no Goat! Another great episode, as usual.

The music video of the Ed theme, 「Mephisto」 by QUEEN BEE, has just released on youtube

This episode was incredibly realistic and almost unbearable to watch. It's a good thing because it brings attention to an important topic that needs more discussion. The episode is based on a true story and highlights the consequences of cyberbullying. Unlike the show's protagonist, who was saved from taking a drastic step, Hana Kimura, a participant in a Japanese reality show, tragically lost her life due to intense cyberbullying. The season was canceled as a result. The episode portrays the brutal reality of cyberbullying and the lack of compassion in today's society. It emphasizes that online hate can have a profound impact on a person's mental health and life. The episode masterfully depicts this subject matter, and it's one of the best anime episodes ever. It delves into the concept of cyberbullying, the impact it has on individuals, and the prevalence of parasocial relationships. The episode also sheds light on the blurred lines between reality and scripted dramas in reality shows. It exposes the emotional toll cyberbullying takes on its victims and the need for empathy and compassion. Despite the heavy subject matter, the episode offers a glimmer of hope by portraying someone reaching out and providing support. This episode is a true gem and deserves praise.

Thanks for the meal.

@sachi__63
YuyuichiMay 17, 2023 5:54 PM
May 17, 2023 7:57 AM

Mar 2015
This is a really difficult episode to watch. An incredibly well done episode, but a difficult episode to watch nonetheless. You could feel the increasing dread of Akane throughout the second half of the episode and each new social media post shown just felt like another gut punch. Even knowing I'm just watching an anime character I felt like I desperately wanted to tell her or just wanted someone to tell her it was going to be okay and that people care about her. Genuinely thankful for Aqua at the end being able to stop her from committing suicide.

It hits even harder when the events of this episode were likely based on the true story of Kimura Hana who unfortunately did not have someone to save her. It's so easy to be relentlessly rude and derogatory behind an online shield where you can't see the reaction of the person being targeted. It's even easier to fall into the trap of thinking your post won't be the difference maker for a potential tragic event like this, but the combined backlash of negativity can feel like too much to bear sometimes. Please be mindful of the things you post online.
May 17, 2023 8:05 AM

Jan 2018
What an incredible episode that was worth the wait!!! They really knocked it out of the park. This episode really conveyed Akane's emotions perfectly. PEAK EPISODE.
May 17, 2023 8:22 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Still very pleased that this story doesn't sugarcoat the enormous pressure these young people are under. Ruthless pressure from sick loser fans and management alike. Poor Akane.

That said. I ask myself, Is she important to the overarching plot? Is she relevant as to finding out who the father/murderer is?

FarabeufMay 17, 2023 8:33 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 17, 2023 8:25 AM

Jul 2021
Honestly, fuck Twitter, but I use it anyways!
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

May 17, 2023 8:28 AM

Jul 2017
The perils of a reality dating show: getting cancelled online, as such with Yumi Suki, just so to get more views by creating the typical nonsensical drama and boost the show. The actual experience however, is just filming at ludicrous times (like weekends) while every actor and actress gets their own screentime based on how they flesh out. MEM-cho treating the cast to yakiniku, but Akane is vegetarian, so she's just there to serve Aqua and take notes. It's true that reality dating shows are less scripted, though that with the people involved, it's just sells "reality" with the cast exhibiting feelings, while remembering to remain two-faced as well. Sure enough, Yuki's love triangle created the type of drama that the viewers wanted, and while Messan's airheaded-ness meaning to draw people to her YouTube channel, it's Akane who gets the brunt of the blame having less screentime than the others with her manager, wanting to work hard and leave a mark somehow.

Kana sensing Ruby's BS tyring to egosurf, and gives her a thorough lesson on social media and content creation, with everyone being online and posting their freedom of speech. Back to the show, and Akane is trying her best to stand out now being Nobu's partner by stealing him away from Yuki, though that comes with a caveat of how the audience will think of her. And even the cast themselves will not relent for their reputations on the line, which Akane, fighting for Ken, cut Yuki through her face with her fingernail, which barring from the photoshoot the next day, she tries to calm her down. If it was a normal school thing, it would've been fine, but since this is going online, the internet will not forgive and outright cancel her for even this minor atrocity, even if she posted a public apology, that affected even her normal life. The fuel to the fire has already lashed out at her like a bull, and the blatant discredit would not stop until she was gone for good, out of the public eye.

The willingness of Akane, down on her knees and out of options, the only way out for her is to contemplate suicide...which thankfully, Aqua came to save her in the nick of time.

If you remember the case for Terrace House's Kimura Hana, this is what exactly this episode represents. A cruel thesis's world of showbiz.
May 17, 2023 8:29 AM

Mar 2019
my fucking guy lets go
May 17, 2023 8:29 AM

Apr 2014
Big F to those trashy toxic social networks. 😡 I really feel bad for Akane.
何それ?意味分かんない
May 17, 2023 8:31 AM

Aug 2017
Heavy episode to watch, poor Akane. Loved how the show portrayed her struggles and those toxic idiots on social media. 
May 17, 2023 8:33 AM

Feb 2019
Masterclass. Pacing was perfect and DG did an amazing job of making you feel just how horrible cyber bullying and harassment can be. This episode is actually a perfect encapsulation of what OnK is really about. The toxicity of the entertainment industry and while it’s fictional, this is an all too real situation that celebrities deal with.

This particular case was clearly inspired by the Himura Kana Terrace House situation where a staged scene led to Himura receiving tons of death threats and other abuse online leading to her committing suicide.

It’s so easy to talk shit online and be cruel behind the anonymity of the internet.
May 17, 2023 8:33 AM

Dec 2022
it shows us the deepest part of the entertainment industry also i knew it auqa was gonna save her
May 17, 2023 8:35 AM

Oct 2018
Thank god Aqua, this situation is genuine and I don't want it to happen at all.
May 17, 2023 8:37 AM
Sep 2015
Why Aqua save her when he already know it's safe to die since there's reincarnation system?
May 17, 2023 8:37 AM
Feb 2018
Oh, FFS! What's about looking for Ai's murderer?
May 17, 2023 8:39 AM

Aug 2011
Seeing that HIDIVE puts up the suicide prevention hotline at the end of this episode, it goes to show just how serious a problem that peer pressure is.  Akane was about to kill herself, but it's a good thing Aqua has a much better use for her rather than to take part in a show where she's seen as an object of hate and not as Akane Kurokawa.  This episode pretty much goes to show just how stressful being an actor is as public perception means a lot.
May 17, 2023 8:39 AM

Oct 2016
im so glad they kept the Akane drama to one episode, although it isnt long in the manga either, its the kind of shit that can get stretched out, but they didnt so im pretty happy
next episode probably wraps up LoveNow and then straight into JIF to end the season
May 17, 2023 8:41 AM
Feb 2020
The episode actually showed so well the horror that is the internet.
May 17, 2023 8:42 AM
Dec 2016
that's some light being shed on some of the dark realities of showbiz
May 17, 2023 8:44 AM

Feb 2021
I felt pain in my chest during Akane scenes. So sickening, but so realistic. I can see why so many people like her now, looking forward to see her more. One of the best episodes so far.
It's nice how they added the text at the end (after the ED).

Also the music video for Mephisto by QUEEN BEE (Oshi no Ko ED) is out now!
EmbientMay 17, 2023 9:10 AM
May 17, 2023 8:46 AM

May 2020
another amazing episode
this anime keeps on getting better and better
I love how they show modern problems like cancel culture
holy shit that ending was kinda dark
and Aqua the goat saving her
I can't wait for the next episode
but I don't understand why they didn't cut the part of Akane hitting her
Homura24May 17, 2023 8:53 AM

May 17, 2023 8:47 AM

Oct 2017
That was heartbreaking, glad Aqua was there for her.
May 17, 2023 8:48 AM

Mar 2021
Thank god Aqua was there to stop Akane
May 17, 2023 8:50 AM
May 2022
I’m okay guy’s I was about to cry omg to see her like this damn really breaks me I mean after reading the chapter w akane Bro and now as with voice I felt that even more 🥺💔💔. And finally aquaxakane arc begins 🔥❤️
May 17, 2023 8:55 AM

Jul 2016
Thought the bloody slash across the screen was just a metaphor for ending their friendship or something at first. Cancel culture is nasty, god damn.

The chills from this ep could honestly rival the ones from the first one.
May 17, 2023 8:57 AM

Sep 2020
I thought the first episode could not be unrivalled. Then this episode dropped. What the hell man. 10/10 episode. Such a good job of portraying cancel culture.

I’m still in awe of this episode. Aqua coming in with the save. Interested to see how their relationship will progress through this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2023 8:59 AM
Apr 2023
it was a fuckin masterpiece
May 17, 2023 8:59 AM

Oct 2010
Staff did pretty poor job. VAs were completely incompetent. Story has no ground on reality whatsoever.

Did I get it right?

[Online Roast skill acquired]

Well.
Social networks really done us hard. Not like problem of being ostracized by community came with social networks but those work like magnifying glass for all negativity around.
So rule #1: Only care about opinion of people you are close with and trust. Strangers do not know a thing about you and just vent their own insecurities. Not your problem.
May 17, 2023 9:00 AM
Mar 2023
It's really quite ok.

Aug 2009
phantomfandom said:
Why Aqua save her when he already know it's safe to die since there's reincarnation system?
There is no such system. He and Sarina were two "lucky" people or else the whole world would just be reincarnated people. Also pretty scary thought to think it is ok to let someone die if they can just be reborn.
ghtyujkkpkohkjb said:
Oh, FFS! What's about looking for Ai's murderer?
You remember why Aqua joined the show right?

May 2021
this episode was an extremely well done scary and raw portrayal of the very real struggles that actors/actresses and other celebrities in the spotlight face all too often. as a viewer looking on from the outside, you'll never ever have the full picture of anything that happens, and it's easy to forget that there's real people reading the things you write online.

im glad aqua was able to get there and save akane. i hope he's able to help her figure things out and get the help she needs and deserves next episode.
My 2023 candies:
May 17, 2023 9:01 AM
Apr 2022
Aqua holly shit, he the goat
May 17, 2023 9:01 AM

Mar 2021
Twitter doing what it does best.
May 17, 2023 9:02 AM
Feb 2018
Writer of this show owes me a new pen, I broke one because of the shit happening here, dear Lord...
May 17, 2023 9:02 AM

Jul 2012
Damn, that was dark. Got to feel for Akane. Aqua's been too quiet, but finally making a move now.
May 17, 2023 9:03 AM
Aug 2022
GuruOfTheMoon said:

Agreed. it was another episode showcasing the authors genius
May 17, 2023 9:04 AM
Jan 2022
i cant believe some people actually believe this show is overrated
Oct 2019
My dude coming in clutch.

She's such a sweet girl, but having that mental distance is crucial for public work, even a banality like canvassing or handing out fliers will get you called scum, disgusting and so on.

I really hope she will become just a great friend with Aqua, not another harem member.
Dec 2019
Bruh it's not that deep why people getting so mad from a scratch. I'm glad Aqua saved Akane tho.
Apr 2020
Every episode of this anime is amazing. So prevalent to current society. This episode especially shows the harshness of the internet and cancel culture, and how damaging that can be to someone’s mental. I was able to sympathise a lot with akane.
May 17, 2023 9:05 AM
Feb 2023
Makotokunbranch1 said:
GuruOfTheMoon said:

Agreed. it was another episode showcasing the authors genius

You are talking to a fake account there…
May 17, 2023 9:05 AM
Jan 2023
best episode after the 1st for oshi no peak
May 17, 2023 9:06 AM
Aug 2017
And so Akane climbed up on my favorite character list. The world of reality shows is disgusting on every level and unfortunately Akane was a victim of it. This episode was very dark but also very realistic. 

One more female character miles more interesting than Ruby tho lol
May 17, 2023 9:06 AM
Oct 2019
My dude coming in clutch.

She's such a sweet girl, but having that mental distance is crucial for public work, even a banality like canvassing or handing out fliers will get you called scum, disgusting and so on.

I really hope she will become just a great friend with Aqua, not another harem member.
May 17, 2023 9:07 AM
Feb 2023
Best episode since episode 1 without a doubt. This episode showed how mehhh episodes 2 through 5 are tbh. It won’t get better but it should stay at a good pace till the end.
May 17, 2023 9:07 AM
Jul 2021
Farabeuf said:
Still very pleased that this story doesn't sugarcoat the enormous pressure these young people are under. Ruthless pressure from sick loser fans and management alike. Poor Akane.

That said. I ask myself, Is she important to the overarching plot? Is she relevant as to finding out who the father/murderer is?

I think she is important in the growth of Aqua. He has been so passive with everything so him taking such a drastic step into someone's life is a lot of progress.
May 17, 2023 9:10 AM

Nov 2016
"Cut"

No pun intended.

People online venting all their frustration on someone else over nothing as usual. Best to ignore toxic keyboard warriors if you don't have thick skin.

Aqua's save at the end was hype.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 17, 2023 9:10 AM

Apr 2022
Aqua deus ex-machinad to the rescue and Akane is now safe, hallelujah! What a great episode, so many feels
felixsifuriMay 17, 2023 9:40 AM
Pages (18) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Softhenic03 - Jun 21, 2023

293 by WomanRespector »»
Yesterday, 6:04 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2023

397 by WomanRespector »»
Yesterday, 5:15 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2023

468 by WomanRespector »»
Yesterday, 5:11 PM

» Any reason why Idol became overwhelmingly popular? ( 1 2 )

Mattenan - May 31

57 by Puntosmx »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

Poll: » Best girl war oshi no ko

Praveen05 - Jun 14, 2023

5 by Zarutaku »»
Jun 2, 5:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.